ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Gretz On Cassel: Surviving The Process (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233265)

DeezNutz 09-11-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 6993035)
We won't really know until the season plays out if he's got franchise credentials or not. Period.

We know this now.

What we don't know is whether or not he'll end up being serviceable.

Rain Man 09-11-2010 11:28 AM

I sure hope the Cassel thing is like when Trent Green first showed up, before he had all of his weapons in place.

Bane 09-11-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6993049)
I sure hope the Cassel thing is like when Trent Green first showed up, before he had all of his weapons in place.

I keep wanting to think the same thing,but deep down,I think we all know better.

Marcellus 09-11-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6993036)
"And I know this based on the time we drafted....well...well there was that time that...but...shit"

I'm so tired of hearing this - we haven't made a strong bet on a young quarterback in 25 years --- A QUARTER OF A CENTURY --- and I'm supposed to listen to someone tell me that the fans wouldn't give one a chance.

Just exactly WTF do you base that on?

It's all CYA all the time with this guy. Cassel's terrible and THAT'S why the fans boo him. He's inaccurate, he's skittish, he's flat out bad.

If this franchise ever drafted and developed a young quarterback, he would be the most popular KC sports figure since George Brett. Kansas City is dying for a quarterback and jokers like you and Gretz are still hiding behind the same tired dogma that Peterson hamstrung the franchise with for 2 decades.

First off, I never said or eluded that I was against drafting a QB.

How do I know the fans would be impatient? Because I have been a member of CP since 2003.

JohnnyV13 09-11-2010 11:33 AM

Yeah, that's hardly a well written article: no matter what you think of the content. Look at the lead.

That's a terrible, rambling sentance that hardly draws a reader into the article. Gretz writes conversationally, with a lot of fluffy qualifiers and awkwardly constructed sentances.

I doubt even he would say its a good example of his work.

Rain Man 09-11-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6993054)
I keep wanting to think the same thing,but deep down,I think we all know better.

If Pioli hadn't seen Cassel in action I'd be more pessimistic. As it is, I'm worried, but still have some hope. Pioli had to know that trading for Cassel and passing on a top draftee would be a key decision, so you'd think he wouldn't do it without a whole lot of confidence in Cassel.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-11-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6993040)
We know this now.

What we don't know is whether or not he'll end up being serviceable.

No, we don't. We haven't seen anything yet and won't until the season plays out. Odds are, with our luck, he won't be shit. But we won't know for sure until the season plays out. People can be geniousez with their nostradomous skills and say "oh I noz already hez da blacklegdde!" but we won't until the season plays out. It's fun though, that's why we're fans, we go by feeling. My gut feeling says even Haley doesn't think he'll work out. You can hear it in his voice in his pressers. He has NO confidence in the guy. He's just all we have. Until next year. If he doesn't work out.

DJ's left nut 09-11-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 6993055)

How do I know the fans would be impatient? Because I have been a member of CP since 2003.

CP has fewer than 700 members with more than 1,000 posts at present (and a handful with over 40,000). It's a limited group of extremely hardcore fans.

I would hardly say that CP constitutes any sort of representative sample of the fanbase.

That's like saying the Branch Davidians were an accurate representation of your average Protestant.

This article was beyond worthless.

the Talking Can 09-11-2010 11:36 AM

That's pretty much the Bible of True Fan-ism right there...

holy shit

1...invoke the name of every great QB, imply false equivalence
2...pretend fans are responsible for a franchise never drafting a QB, because they have the audacity to boo shitty quarterbacks on shitty teams

3...don't spend one sentence actually focusing on his play on the field, his mechanics, his arm, his savy, his ANYTHING -no detailed breakdown of his actual performance

4...make another false comparison - 'he done some bad things and some good things' - which is a whitewash of point 3 and a knowing lie. he's done a bunch of shitty things and very few good things

5...pat yourself on the back for being so smart and go get a glass of milk and watch Touched By An Angel reruns while reminiscing fondly about that one game Damon Huard won that one time...it was fun, gosh...

DeezNutz 09-11-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 6993073)
No, we don't. We haven't seen anything yet and won't until the season plays out. Odds are, with our luck, he won't be shit. But we won't know for sure until the season plays out. People can be geniousez with their nostradomous skills and say "oh I noz already hez da blacklegdde!" but we won't until the season plays out. It's fun though, that's why we're fans, we go by feeling. My gut feeling says even Haley doesn't think he'll work out. You can hear it in his voice in his pressers. He has NO confidence in the guy. He's just all we have. Until next year. If he doesn't work out.

He's not going to develop, magically, an entirely different skill set. Thus, it doesn't take Doc Brown to know that he'll never be a franchise QB. Any half-ass evaluator of NFL talent can tell this.

What we don't know for sure is whether or not he'll be a colossal failure. Luckily, we hired a great turd polisher in Weis, so expect some dumbass fans to think that the piece of shit is prettier this year.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-11-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 6993076)
That's pretty much the Bible of True Fan-ism right there...

holy shit

1...invoke the name of every great QB, imply false equivalence
2...pretend fans are responsible for a franchise never drafting a QB, because they have the audacity to boo shitty quarterbacks on shitty teams

3...don't spend one sentence actually focusing on his play on the field, his mechanics, his arm, his savy, his ANYTHING -no detailed breakdown of his actual performance

4...make another false comparison - 'he done some bad things and some good things' - which is a whitewash of point 3 and a knowing lie. he's done a bunch of shitty things and very few good things

5...pat yourself on the back for being so smart and go get a glass of milk and watch Touched By An Angel reruns while reminiscing fondly about that one game Damon Huard won that one time...it was fun, gosh...

The only people I know of that are Chiefs fans that don't want to draft a QB high are the people on this site, none outside of this site. Kinda odd.

DaneMcCloud 09-11-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 6993055)

WRONG.

The overwhelming majority of Chiefsplanet members have supported a first round QB.

Anyone that knows a ****ing thing about the NFL and QB's in general realize that it's very rare that a rookie QB is ready to start from Day One.

If the Chiefs had drafted a QB last year or even this year, developed him for a couple of years while Cassel (or someone else started), I seriously doubt many people would complain.

Bane 09-11-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6993072)
If Pioli hadn't seen Cassel in action I'd be more pessimistic. As it is, I'm worried, but still have some hope. Pioli had to know that trading for Cassel and passing on a top draftee would be a key decision, so you'd think he wouldn't do it without a whole lot of confidence in Cassel.

Well he surely knows more about him than anyone else,but I just wonder how long he will "wait" for Cassel if he continues to struggle this year.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-11-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6993083)
He's not going to develop, magically, an entirely different skill set. Thus, it doesn't take Doc Brown to know that he'll never be a franchise QB. Any half-ass evaluator of NFL talent can tell this.

What we don't know for sure is whether or not he'll be a colossal failure. Luckily, we hired a great turd polisher in Weis, so expect some dumbass fans to think that the piece of shit is prettier this year.

I'm going by Pioli. I trust his evaluation of talent. He's had his misses, like every GM, etc. This probably is a miss, but because of his reputation I'm willling to wait and see. Either way, it will be a fun season, IMO, to watch the young guys grow.

CrazyHorse 09-11-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6993019)
Easily the worst article by Gretz since Peterson's firing.

What a load of horseshit.

How'd I know your reaction? LOL

The article was not only reasonable from an expectation standpoint, it paints the witch hunters in the right light as well. I cant think of any clear thinking individual that would find this article unreasonable.