ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Should penalties be able to be challenged in the NFL? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=235545)

JD10367 10-22-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefNHouston (Post 7107057)
It is dumb ****

Your daddy should've pulled out.

yhf 10-22-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7107052)
OH BUT HUMAN ERROR IS PART OF THE GAME!!! :rolleyes:

Well yeah it is.

Long ago, people much smarter than you or I determined that discord and dissent generated a stronger and more passionate following.

Today's professional sports leagues are left with the difficult task of balancing modern technology (that could easily supplant the human element) versus the human element (that clearly generates attention/passion).

ChiefNHouston 10-22-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yhf (Post 7107066)
Well yeah it is.

Long ago, people much smarter than you or I determined that discord and dissent generated a stronger and more passionate following.

Today's professional sports leagues are left with the difficult task of balancing modern technology (that could easily supplant the human element) versus the human element (that clearly generates attention/passion).

common sense on the planet :eek:

Psyko Tek 10-22-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefNHouston (Post 7107016)
Penalties are whats part of the game. Thats what makes it interesting. This would be the same thing as taking an umpire from behind the plate and just just having a computer make all the strikes and balls calls. A little error from the umps/refs is part of the game. Like in baseball you have to make adjustments to the strike zone. In football if they aren't calling holding on tamba hali hell just keep holding him. Making adjustments to the games is the difference between wins and loses. good teams and bad teams.

**** baseball

Mojo Jojo 10-22-2010 01:10 AM

Let's play this out....
A hold is challenged...the replay official says there is no hold; however while watching the replay he see's a leg whip that wasn't called. Is the offense now penalized 15-yards for winning a 10-yard challenge?
Where would it end?

yhf 10-22-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 7107079)
Let's play this out....
A hold is challenged...the replay official says there is no hold; however while watching the replay he see's a leg whip that wasn't called. Is the offense now penalized 15-yards for winning a 10-yard challenge?
Where would it end?

I think you just found the can o' worms at the bottom of the rabbit hole. Did you meet that Pandora bitch while you were down there?

Fumblerooski 10-22-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 7107079)
Let's play this out....
Where would it end?

I would say yes, the 15 yard penalty would be called... But likely the same coach in the booth that tells the head coach "Throw the Flag, Throw the Flag!" would notice that and tell coach not to throw the flag as they do in the instance a team is screwed on a spot, yet the coach up top realized the receiver stepped out of bounds at the beginning of his route before catching the ball and it went unnoticed. So instead of yelling for the spot replay flag, that coach tells the head coach to go into hurry-up to prevent an incompletion call...

Of course, under 2 mins in the half.... it could get ugly...

JD10367 10-22-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yhf (Post 7107066)

So let me get this straight: your premise is that sports owners and league officials decided that getting calls wrong would actually be good because it would band fans together?

That's probably one of the stupider things I've read on the Internet. Which is no small feat.

Mojo Jojo 10-22-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fumblerooskie (Post 7107084)
I would say yes, the 15 yard penalty would be called... But likely the same coach in the booth that tells the head coach "Throw the Flag, Throw the Flag!" would notice that and tell coach not to throw the flag as they do in the instance a team is screwed on a spot, yet the coach up top realized the receiver stepped out of bounds at the beginning of his route before catching the ball and it went unnoticed. So instead of yelling for the spot replay flag, that coach tells the head coach to go into hurry-up to prevent an incompletion call...

Of course, under 2 mins in the half.... it could get ugly...

You understand that the coaches in the booth are only allowed to watch the live network feed. So, it is up to the TV truck about what is seen for replays and challenges.

yhf 10-22-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 7107086)
So let me get this straight: your premise is that sports owners and league officials decided that getting calls wrong would actually be good because it would band fans together?

That's probably one of the stupider things I've read on the Internet. Which is no small feat.

NO. They didn't decide.

They realized through basic market observation of the consumer base that a certain level of dispute, related to human error, generated a stronger following.

So let me get this straight: you honestly don't believe that a licensing body (the NFL) would allow its clients (the networks) to openly demonstrate the failure of its quality control agents (the officials) if the licensing body didn't KNOW for a fact that human error bullshit (within certain parameters) does in fact increase the overall value of its product.

That would be one of the more stupid things I have read on the net. Which is no mean feat.

BWillie 10-22-2010 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeBigTiddys (Post 7106996)
Everything should be reviewable.

Next

Only in the last half of the 4th quarter...then I would agree.

007 10-22-2010 04:09 AM

never happen. The NFL will never let go of their "judgment call" excuse.

Mi_chief_fan 10-22-2010 04:58 AM

Rich Eisen asked Rich McKay on NFL Total Access yesterday, citing the BS helmet-to-helmet call against the Jets' Jim Leonard in Denver, a play in which the Jets challenged whether or not the catch was made.

On replay, there clearly was no helmet-to-helmet contact, but McKay's excuse is that it's a slippery slope: don't want to start reviewing judgment calls.

Only reviewable penalty is 12 men on the field.

Sully 10-22-2010 05:55 AM

Iirc, during the first instant replay go around, PI was reviewable. But it really is such a judgment call, it was a mess.

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-22-2010 06:35 AM

You should be able to challenge obviously bad calls but if you lose the challenge it costs your team 3 points, 10 yards and a kick to the gonads.