ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Best BBQ in KC to take New Orleans friends? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239018)

kcconnie 12-26-2010 03:46 PM

Do either of these places have TVs that typically show the games? OU is playing Sat night and would love to watch the game while eating good BBQ.

Phobia 12-26-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7289210)
While Phobia is right that someone who knows what they are doing can dedicate more carefully spent time tending to BBQ than a busy restaurant can, his denigration of even KC's great BBQ joints is damaging to local culture. It also has the stench of ego-placation.

I can see why you might say that. I like myself and I like my BBQ. I make a lot of things about me. But when I talk about backyard Q, it's not about me. There are tons of people who make better Q than me - people on this site. I don't rave about my Q. It's good and all my friends like it but I'm still relatively inexperienced on the grand scale. I'm still surprised every time somebody calls my creations the best they've had. I'm not fishing for a gig here. Already have a full smoker for next weekend.

Stewie 12-26-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7288154)
I'd pay some team to to cook some up for you and deliver it to the hotel. The backyard guys are a lot better bet than any of the "for profit" restaurants. If you're bringing in folks from the best culinary vein in North America, you have to be sure.

You're a legend in your own mind about how it's done. I've eaten your Q and it's OK, but nothing like the really good amateurs and pros can turn out.

Phobia 12-26-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7290948)
You're a legend in your own mind about how it's done.

Disagree
Quote:

I've eaten your Q and it's OK, but nothing like the really good amateurs and pros can turn out.
Agree

GESteve 12-26-2010 04:20 PM

Can't we all just get along. I love all types of BBQ there's no way anyone can say someones BBQ sucks, because 100 other people will love it. Just eat what you like and stop putting other people down........ Bitch

Phobia 12-26-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 7291118)
Can't we all just get along. I love all types of BBQ there's no way anyone can say someones BBQ sucks, because 100 other people will love it. Just eat what you like and stop putting other people down........ Bitch

He didn't say it sucks. He's right though. I deserve the criticism. They thought I was getting a big head. My friends from here love my stuff, which is surprising because I've only been doing it for about 5 years. I learn something new almost every time out. It's good but even I don't think it's the best ever. I can't believe Reaper even endorses my Q because he last had something I made about 4 years ago and they were riblets I made with an Asian rub I created. I didn't even like those. I do cook it how I like to eat it though, which is nothing like judges like to eat it which is why I don't enjoy competitions.

Reaper16 12-26-2010 04:49 PM

I'm KCBS certified, and in the few competitions I've judged in, the large majority of the barbecue didn't hold a candle to the barbecue coming out of L.C. Richardson's smoker. A small minority of competition BBQ though is the best you'll find anywhere.

So, I ultimately agree that you'll find the best-of-the-best not in a restaurant but in the backyard smoker of a master, I disagree that such a significant part of Kansas City culture has to be denigrated to make that point.

GESteve 12-26-2010 04:50 PM

My bad about the suck comment. My point still stands

flipped cracker 12-26-2010 05:03 PM

we're flying out for that game from california. i guess we'll have to go to oklahoma joe's.

Reaper16 12-26-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipped cracker (Post 7291354)
we're flying out for that game from california. i guess we'll have to go to oklahoma joe's.

That's where I'd send 'ya.

Thig Lyfe 12-26-2010 05:07 PM

KC Masterpiece or McDonald's (the McRib is back!)

GESteve 12-26-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7291276)
I'm KCBS certified, and in the few competitions I've judged in, the large majority of the barbecue didn't hold a candle to the barbecue coming out of L.C. Richardson's smoker. A small minority of competition BBQ though is the best you'll find anywhere.

So, I ultimately agree that you'll find the best-of-the-best not in a restaurant but in the backyard smoker of a master, I disagree that such a significant part of Kansas City culture has to be denigrated to make that point.

I totally agree with what you said. But you have to admit what some people consider good BBQ or any other food is subjective

Chiefs Rool 12-26-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 7291368)
KC Masterpiece or McDonald's (the McRib is back!)

if it's one or the other, go with the McRib :thumb:

doomy3 12-26-2010 05:14 PM

I love Arthur Bryant's more than the rest.

Reaper16 12-26-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 7291386)
I totally agree with what you said. But you have to admit what some people consider good BBQ or any other food is subjective

Yes. Sort of. Maybe. There are preferences and there are technical, more objective things to talk about where food is concerned. Balance, depth of flavor, texture, etc. are less subjective/more objective things that people can point to in discussion or assessment.