ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Email from Roger Goodell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239564)

wazu 01-03-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 7317397)
If the NFL really wanted to get fans on their side... particularly given the effort to win fans over with the "10% umployment hurts us all" talk... they should offer a 5% cut in ticket prices as part of their proposal. Something that would recognize the sacrafice that fans have made over the last couple year. Even if only nominally.

I think the NFL owner equivalent of this has been not raising ticket prices except for club level. Reality is, though, that they will be forced to lower prices by market forces soon enough. They won't be doing it as a PR stunt.

RNR 01-03-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

If the NFL really wanted to get fans on their side... particularly given the effort to win fans over with the "10% umployment hurts us all" talk... they should offer a 5% cut in ticket prices as part of their proposal. Something that would recognize the sacrafice that fans have made over the last couple year. Even if only nominally.

The NFL quit giving a shit about Joe Sixpack a long long time ago~

wazu 01-03-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 7317406)
The NFL quit giving a shit about Joe Sixpack a long long time ago~

They can choose to not give a shit, but Joe Sixpack actually spends a lot of money going to games. Good luck filling the stadium with nothing but millionaires.

Brock 01-03-2011 10:52 AM

oh hai taxpayers, we need a new stadium that you won't be able to get into or else we'll leave

threebag 01-03-2011 10:53 AM

Almost all of my clothes are either CHIEFS or ROYALS. There is revenue there too. Lots of it.

CoMoChief 01-03-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 7317412)
Almost all of my clothes are either CHIEFS or ROYALS. There is revenue there too. Lots of it.

:spock:

morphius 01-03-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Outside of giving the season ticket holders on less preseason ticket they have to eat up, and a redzone channel we get to pay for there really isn't much in there for the fans.

RNR 01-03-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 7317402)
Forget the eighteen game season. I would like eighteen but it would Deminish the records that have stood for decades. Every year would be projected this vs actual that. I guess I just like the history of the game too.

The records are already skewed. This was said when the NFL went from 12 to 14 and again from 14 to 16. A 1000 yard season was a great benchmark for a back or wideout at one time, now it is very average~

threebag 01-03-2011 11:05 AM

Ya just hate them always changing shit. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

jAZ 01-03-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 7317405)
I think the NFL owner equivalent of this has been not raising ticket prices except for club level. Reality is, though, that they will be forced to lower prices by market forces soon enough. They won't be doing it as a PR stunt.

Certainly possible, which is why taking the PR value now is possibly very savvy. Obviously they have to make the numbers work for them, and 5% of ticket sales is a big chunk. But The advertising bump from 2 more meaningful games would presumably more than offset the losses. Maybe not though.

Saul Good 01-03-2011 11:13 AM

If the owners would stand their ground, the players would be forced to back down. Without the NFL, these owners are still worth hundreds of millions. Without the NFL, the players are hoping to get a job driving a bus.

gblowfish 01-03-2011 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the real letter minus the weasel speak:

ClevelandBronco 01-03-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 7317408)
They can choose to not give a shit, but Joe Sixpack actually spends a lot of money going to games. Good luck filling the stadium with nothing but millionaires.

We need millionaires to pay for Obamacare and football tickets.

Brock 01-03-2011 11:21 AM

Sure, we invented personal seat licenses, but trust us.

Royal Fanatic 01-03-2011 02:45 PM

Goodell is absolutely right about one thing: it's ridiculous that rookies get guaranteed contracts that set new records every year for the highest paid players in the league.

I'd be all for a rookie salary cap. It doesn't have to be ridiculously low, but right now the salaries for the first round draft choices are ridiculously high. Give that money to the veteran NFL players who are living in poverty instead.