ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Nebraska Bubba Starling watch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245552)

DeezNutz 05-27-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 7666407)
Rany had a guy on yesterday discussing this. They don't think the Royals will pick him. He has hitting concerns because of where he played HS and the lack of...other...games (I'm not familiar with HS baseball, is it like basketball with the AAU circuit?), and the fact that he is a 3-5 year prospect. They will go after a college pitcher if one is available.

Obviously the talent he's playing against at Gardner is weak, but I'd assume he's been in enough showcase events to assuage concerns about his potential.

Since you don't know what you have with even advanced prospects in baseball, I don't understand not going BPA at every slot. This is why we ****ed up with Longoria, whom we didn't even consider because "we had Gordon." Oops.

eazyb81 05-27-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7666427)
Obviously the talent he's playing against at Gardner is weak, but I'd assume he's been in enough showcase events to assuage concerns about his potential.

Since you don't know what you have with even advanced prospects in baseball, I don't understand not going BPA at every slot. This is why we ****ed up with Longoria, whom we didn't even consider because "we had Gordon." Oops.

Yeah, no doubt, but that was last summer. Sure, maybe his tools are still the same, but damn - 27 ABs since last summer is crazy.

chiefqueen 05-27-2011 03:50 PM

I believe once he starts to attend class (even summer classes?) then he would be ineligible to ge drafted by MLB for 3 years.

Remember he has a football scholly at Neb. and I'm sure the coaching staff wants him up there as soon as possible now that his HS season is over and he has graduated to start hitting the weight room. I'm not sure if the NCAA/Big 10 requires athletes to take classes while participating in summer workouts.

Coogs 05-27-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefqueen (Post 7666521)
I believe once he starts to attend class (even summer classes?) then he would be ineligible to ge drafted by MLB for 3 years.

Remember he has a football scholly at Neb. and I'm sure the coaching staff wants him up there as soon as possible now that his HS season is over and he has graduated to start hitting the weight room. I'm not sure if the NCAA/Big 10 requires athletes to take classes while participating in summer workouts.

The article from post #10 says he is going to start attending classes on July 10th. He will get drafted, then decided from everything I have seen or heard lately.

DeezNutz 05-27-2011 03:57 PM

Totally agree that Starling's number of ABs is surprisingly low. Definitely a point of concern for all the front offices, I'd have to think.

Coogs 05-27-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7666530)
Totally agree that Starling's number of ABs is surprisingly low. Definitely a point of concern for all the front offices, I'd have to think.

Has it been set in stone he will go as a position player vs going as a pitcher? I was thinking at one time they were thinking pitching was his best option. :shrug:

DeezNutz 05-27-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 7666535)
Has it been set in stone he will go as a position player vs going as a pitcher? I was thinking at one time they were thinking pitching was his best option. :shrug:

You're right about the "at one time" bit, but it's pretty well accepted now that he'll be drafted as a CF, and he has the athleticism to stick at the position.

Coogs 05-27-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7666538)
You're right about the "at one time" bit, but it's pretty well accepted now that he'll be drafted as a CF, and he has the athleticism to stick at the position.

:thumb:

Sam Hall 05-27-2011 08:01 PM

I think there's a 25% chance he's at Nebraska in the fall. That's actually up from what I thought a few months ago. I used to think there was no chance he'd play at Nebraska. I think he's intrigued by the challenge of being a multi-sport college athlete. I think he could end up at Nebraska if he's not picked in the top 5 in the draft.

DeezNutz 05-27-2011 08:12 PM

0% chance he's at Nebraska in the fall. If I'm wrong, Starling is so ****ing stupid that the team that selects him should be thankful that he didn't sign.

|Zach| 05-27-2011 08:34 PM

I was a photographer at his last HS football game. Pretty impressive. He sorta reminded me of Brad Smith. Long strides...was running really fast even though it didn't seem like it. Great vision.

KevB 05-27-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7666782)
0% chance he's at Nebraska in the fall. If I'm wrong, Starling is so ****ing stupid that the team that selects him should be thankful that he didn't sign.

+1

I saw a vid of him, along with his HS baseball coach and they certainly played the college card heavily. I'd think that's mostly a negotiating ploy. I'd be SHOCKED if he doesn't get drafted top 10 and jump.

kstater 05-27-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7666782)

DUDE, all he'd be doing is turning down 6M guaranteed for a chance to be a backup at THE University of Nebraska.

The history and tradition will more than make up for it.

Mecca 05-27-2011 08:49 PM

The low number of at bats in his senior year sounds an awful like what happened with Jason Heyward.

KevB 05-27-2011 08:52 PM

BTW, Jim Callis of Baseball America came out with his latest mock today. He has Bubba going #2 to Seattle. Royals get Gerrit Cole, SP out of UCLA. :drool: