ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto I am Moving to Illinois - Chicago area (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247150)

Okie_Apparition 07-14-2011 08:27 PM

Buy Cutler a beer

SLAG 07-14-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7748809)
Or a AIDS tree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7748801)
DON'T live in a treehouse.

That's all I got for ya.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7749228)
I don't recommend living anywhere close to O'Hare, which is adjacent to Elk Grove Village. Planes are loud, the fumes from the jets foul the air, and at night the sky tends to be a sort of dark burnt orange color. Nasty. Avoid Elk Grove itself, Des Plaines, Bensenville and Rosemont. Decent nearby communities would include Rolling Meadows and Schaumburg to the west, Mount Prospect and Arlington Heights to the north, Elmhurst and Lombard to the south, Park Ridge to the east (I wouldn't go any farther east or southeast, or you're getting too close to Chicago and you don't want your kids anywhere near that ****ing sewer). There are lots of smaller suburbs in the area, but I'm not really all that familiar with them, and not having kids I can't vouch for the schools.

Don't know what your salary range is, but prices on EVERYTHING will be a shock to you up here. Some of these places will be more reasonable than others.

Thanks for the info.

While my salary is increased significantly from my last job... around 20k more .. as I understand most of the Chicago suburbs are quite comparable to the cost of living in Johnson County. - The recruiter said that the Median income for Olathe is more than Elgin.

We want to try to stay just about the same a quick look at some places i'm looking at are like Crystal Lake / McHenery / Shaumberg as you said...

SLAG 07-14-2011 11:20 PM

does anyone have any suggestions on where to get started

Man my head is spinning

BryanBusby 07-15-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 7749236)
Buy Cutler sugary treats

Fixed

Good luck to you OP. Have an uncle that lives in Hoffman Estates and he bitches a lot about the state government.

P.S. Don't speed in construction zones there, at all.

|Zach| 07-15-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7748963)
I recommend Shermer, Illinois. It's great for kids, especially high school.

Awesome.

eazyb81 07-15-2011 06:28 AM

I have found these boards helpful when moving to a new city.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago/

Frazod 07-15-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 7749486)
Thanks for the info.

While my salary is increased significantly from my last job... around 20k more .. as I understand most of the Chicago suburbs are quite comparable to the cost of living in Johnson County. - The recruiter said that the Median income for Olathe is more than Elgin.

We want to try to stay just about the same a quick look at some places i'm looking at are like Crystal Lake / McHenery / Shaumberg as you said...

Elgin's a mostly a shithole. If your recruiter is using that particular city as an example then I'm afraid he may be piping sunshine up your ass.

As for Crystal Lake and McHenry, your commute would suck. The problem is that Lake County doesn't have anywhere near the road infrastructure it needs because all the rich pricks in places like Long Grove and Barrington keep blocking improvements. IL Route 59, for example, is one of the major north/south roads and is still only two lanes in some places. That's also the reason IL Route 53 goes from being a six lane freeway to a regular road at the Lake County line. Money talks, the needs of the people walks, and I doubt if that's going to change any time soon. There is no good way to get from places like McHenry to anywhere.

Arlington Heights would be a great choice. But pricey. A lot pricier than ****ing Elgin.

SLAG 07-15-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7749673)
Elgin's a mostly a shithole. If your recruiter is using that particular city as an example then I'm afraid he may be piping sunshine up your ass.

As for Crystal Lake and McHenry, your commute would suck. The problem is that Lake County doesn't have anywhere near the road infrastructure it needs because all the rich pricks in places like Long Grove and Barrington keep blocking improvements. IL Route 59, for example, is one of the major north/south roads and is still only two lanes in some places. That's also the reason IL Route 53 goes from being a six lane freeway to a regular road at the Lake County line. Money talks, the needs of the people walks, and I doubt if that's going to change any time soon. There is no good way to get from places like McHenry to anywhere.

Arlington Heights would be a great choice. But pricey. A lot pricier than ****ing Elgin.

Thanks again for the insight.

are there any places that can help me find a good place in such a short notice

SLAG 07-18-2011 02:41 AM

Monday Morning Bump:

Any CP members have a rental property free in any of the decent areas?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-18-2011 09:12 AM

Move to Detroit; MUCH nicer!

Swanman 07-18-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7749228)
I don't recommend living anywhere close to O'Hare, which is adjacent to Elk Grove Village. Planes are loud, the fumes from the jets foul the air, and at night the sky tends to be a sort of dark burnt orange color. Nasty. Avoid Elk Grove itself, Des Plaines, Bensenville and Rosemont. Decent nearby communities would include Rolling Meadows and Schaumburg to the west, Mount Prospect and Arlington Heights to the north, Elmhurst and Lombard to the south, Park Ridge to the east (I wouldn't go any farther east or southeast, or you're getting too close to Chicago and you don't want your kids anywhere near that ****ing sewer). There are lots of smaller suburbs in the area, but I'm not really all that familiar with them, and not having kids I can't vouch for the schools.

Don't know what your salary range is, but prices on EVERYTHING will be a shock to you up here. Some of these places will be more reasonable than others.

I live in Itasca, which is one of the smaller suburbs that Frazod mentioned. It's about 8,000 people and attached to Elk Grove on the southest corner of Elk Grove. There are planes but 90% of the time Itasca is in the landing path which is about 10% of the noise of planes taking off and honestly it's never been an issue.

The schools in Itasca are above average from what I have read. I don't have kids yet but that was a concern of mine. The high school there is Lake Park, which is a conglomeration of Itasca, Medinah and Roselle mostly. Itasca is located about a 10 minute drive from Schaumburg and your commute to work would rule.

Itasca is nice that it contains a really wide range of home prices, unlike many suburbs around that area. If you don't mind PMing me with a price range or rent estimate you were looking for I could give you some ideas.

tooge 07-18-2011 09:58 AM

Live up in Lake county. take the metra to work. LIbertyville. You will be looking at a 35 minute train ride each way, where you can unwind, check e mails, read, etc. You wont have to jack with traffic. We lived up there when we were there and it was very affordable as long as you weren't in a community right by the lake (Michigan). I'd move back to Libertyville in a heartbeat.

Frazod 07-18-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 7754922)
I live in Itasca, which is one of the smaller suburbs that Frazod mentioned. It's about 8,000 people and attached to Elk Grove on the southest corner of Elk Grove. There are planes but 90% of the time Itasca is in the landing path which is about 10% of the noise of planes taking off and honestly it's never been an issue.

The schools in Itasca are above average from what I have read. I don't have kids yet but that was a concern of mine. The high school there is Lake Park, which is a conglomeration of Itasca, Medinah and Roselle mostly. Itasca is located about a 10 minute drive from Schaumburg and your commute to work would rule.

Itasca is nice that it contains a really wide range of home prices, unlike many suburbs around that area. If you don't mind PMing me with a price range or rent estimate you were looking for I could give you some ideas.

I didn't realize you'd moved out of Aurora.

One of the shittier places I lived was Rosemont - there are a bunch of 60's-era apartment buildings near what is now the Allstate Arena, but was the Rosemont Horizon when I lived there. Less than a mile from O'Hare, right at the end of one of the runways. It was weird - sometimes I'd see a plane landing and it looked like it was going to clip the roof, and I didn't hear a thing. Other times I wouldn't see the plane, but it sounded (and felt) like it was landing on the roof. God that sucked. The air stank, and everything was dirty. If I walked outside barefoot the bottoms of my feet would be black when I went back inside. I wouldn't live in that pisshole again if you paid me.

Swanman 07-18-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7754947)
I didn't realize you'd moved out of Aurora.

One of the shittier places I lived was Rosemont - there are a bunch of 60's-era apartment buildings near what is now the Allstate Arena, but was the Rosemont Horizon when I lived there. Less than a mile from O'Hare, right at the end of one of the runways. It was weird - sometimes I'd see a plane landing and it looked like it was going to clip the roof, and I didn't hear a thing. Other times I wouldn't see the plane, but it sounded (and felt) like it was landing on the roof. God that sucked. The air stank, and everything was dirty. If I walked outside barefoot the bottoms of my feet would be black when I went back inside. I wouldn't live in that pisshole again if you paid me.

Yes I have been in Itasca for about a year, just forgot to update my profile here. I am still trying to sell my damn townhouse there though. Rosemont is a weird town in that it's 95% industrial with just a very small residential area. But I agree, way too close to the airport. I am a 15 minute drive from Rosemont.

SLAG 07-18-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 7754922)

PM Sent