ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs A slightly dumb theory that just popped into my head (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248424)

RealSNR 08-12-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 7822343)
didn't we go 0-4 in preseason last season? first preseason game, **** it. ZERO CARES

We went 2-2 aksh

CoMoChief 08-12-2011 11:59 PM

given how the lockout messed with regular schedule in terms of camp dates, etc......I would be willing to bet (esp veterans) that none of these players were in football shape by any means and the last thing Haley wanted to do was to get our starters injured. These guys have only been in camp for about a week. If it was a normal offseason players at this point would be eager to hit someone who sports a different logo on their helmet as opposed to constantly hitting eachother in camp. That hasn't been the case, in fact, most practices have been walk throughs and shells.....how many full contact (pads) practices have they had? a couple? No need to get anyone hurt. I bet they're gonna all be sore as shit tomorrow.

Okie_Apparition 08-13-2011 12:01 AM

I believe the starters jobs tonight was to become Vrabels & mentor. Bowe was anyway. Never found out because the extra ref & who's buying the wine tonight was more important

wasi 08-13-2011 12:01 AM

field position

I think Lawrence made a bad decision bringing it out on the opening kickoff, Battle fumbled and we had bad field position the whole first half.

And Haley sat the majority of playmakers on D.

tk13 08-13-2011 12:08 AM

We didn't give Charles many carries last preseason, and I still think we gave him too many. I'm sure he'll get a couple carries in upcoming games, but if they didn't give a touch all preseason I'm not sure I'd be upset with it. The only thing of significance that can happen to him is getting hurt.

RealSNR 08-13-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7822365)
We didn't give Charles many carries last preseason, and I still think we gave him too many. I'm sure he'll get a couple carries in upcoming games, but if they didn't give a touch all preseason I'm not sure I'd be upset with it. The only thing of significance that can happen to him is getting hurt.

Even Charles needs to find some kind of rhythm against full-speed competition. It shouldn't take him more than 4-5 carries total, but it still would be good to get him in

Exoter175 08-13-2011 12:26 AM

Generally speaking this is how the preseason goes from a FO/Coaching perspective.

Game 1. 1's get MAYBE 2-3 drives maximum, then sit. 2's and 3's split the difference.

Game 2. 1's get 2-3 drives, including the first showing of "superstar" talent and "rested" players from game 1. 2's and 3's get the remainder of the game to shake down the rest of the roster in terms of depth.

Game 3. 1's and 2's play ~2 quarters worth of football, usually with the 1's taking the first quarter and a half to themselves, sometimes a full 2 quarters.

Game 4, majority of the 1's sit or play 1-2 drives. "solid" 2's play 3-4 drives and sit. 3's and bubble 2's play the rest of the game.

It had crossed my mind tonight after the 2nd or 3rd drive that perhaps Haley was setting up this game to be "rough" for the young guys while protecting his legitimate 1st teamers and not really playing anyone who has a solid role or needs time to grow, or to get up to speed.

But, we looked pretty atrocious all around. Hard to tell with how bad the line played tonight.

Exoter175 08-13-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 7822351)
We went 2-2 aksh

1-3 wasn't it? Including a loss to Tampa Bay I believe.

beach tribe 08-13-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red 5 (Post 7822289)
I honestly can't think of a reason not to give Charles a touch in a preseason game other than this.

I hope Charles doesn't get more than 5 carries the entire pre-season.

FloridaMan88 08-13-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red 5 (Post 7822313)
I mean you don't even let Cassel throw a pass....not one....pretty clear you don't want him getting hit.

Then why play him at all?

Do what the Patriots did with Brady in their first preseason game and bench him with some BS injury.

Exoter175 08-13-2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 7822460)
Then why play him at all?

Do what the Patriots did with Brady in their first preseason game and bench him with some BS injury.

Rhythm, confidence, repetition.

He's not Tom Brady :P

Dave Lane 08-13-2011 06:30 AM

The true story of last night and my biggest fear is the abortion of a OL we are throwing out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 7822384)
Generally speaking this is how the preseason goes from a FO/Coaching perspective.

Game 1. 1's get MAYBE 2-3 drives maximum, then sit. 2's and 3's split the difference.

Game 2. 1's get 2-3 drives, including the first showing of "superstar" talent and "rested" players from game 1. 2's and 3's get the remainder of the game to shake down the rest of the roster in terms of depth.

Game 3. 1's and 2's play ~2 quarters worth of football, usually with the 1's taking the first quarter and a half to themselves, sometimes a full 2 quarters.

Game 4, majority of the 1's sit or play 1-2 drives. "solid" 2's play 3-4 drives and sit. 3's and bubble 2's play the rest of the game.

It had crossed my mind tonight after the 2nd or 3rd drive that perhaps Haley was setting up this game to be "rough" for the young guys while protecting his legitimate 1st teamers and not really playing anyone who has a solid role or needs time to grow, or to get up to speed.

But, we looked pretty atrocious all around. Hard to tell with how bad the line played tonight.

Saul Good 08-13-2011 07:10 AM

I am just fine with everything. No reason that Charles needs a carry in any preseason game other than maybe the third game. He's not going to forget how to run.

bobbything 08-13-2011 07:44 AM

There was nothing about this "game" that was going to be fun or interesting (unless you were dying to see Jackie Battle and Dexter McCluster carry the ball). Haley went in with the mindset that he wasn't going to allow any starter to get injured. Even in practice, there isn't game-type hitting going on. So, Cassel didn't attempt a pass, Charles didn't touch the ball, Bowe and Co. blocked for McCluster.

I bet that next week will be more like a preseason game. I can't imagine that Haley even wanted to play this game at all. With other teams playing their starters, there is much more risk of getting injured.

The only thing that I saw (and I only watched the first three series) was how our o-line and d-line were getting pwned. I paid such little attention to the game that I don't even know if we threw our starting lines out there, but whoever was out there looked atrocious. It was an interesting contrast...Freeman was running play action fakes while we were handing the ball off to our 4th string running back.

ReynardMuldrake 08-13-2011 07:52 AM

Last night was sizing up the bottom of our roster and getting our guys conditioned, nothing more. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game was more of the same. It's ugly, but I think it ultimately is best for the team.