ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Sprint: iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251276)

Skyy God 10-14-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7994674)
Well, if you want 4G, you should probably get the Galaxy.

The 4S supports HSPA+, which is about as 4G as most secondary markets (like Topeka) will get for the near future.

Pants 10-14-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7995023)
The 4S supports HSPA+, which is about as 4G as most secondary markets (like Topeka) will get for the near future.

Yeah, I forgot he was in T-town. KC is a secondary market too, thankfully we have the Spring HQ here, so we get their 4G. I wouldn't have switched from Verizon if they had it here, but alas.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-14-2011 03:15 PM

So, with the iPhone do you get out of that stupid 10 monthly charge for 4g service? I don't get 4g out here and I pay for that dumb shit every ****ing month.

Dartgod 10-14-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7995031)
Yeah, I forgot he was in T-town. KC is a secondary market too, thankfully we have the Spring HQ here, so we get their 4G. I wouldn't have switched from Verizon if they had it here, but alas.

I'm not from Topeka, if you're talking about me.

Pants 10-14-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 7995046)
I'm not from Topeka, if you're talking about me.

I was talking about Saul. Sorry for the confusion.

Mojo Rising 10-14-2011 03:39 PM

I went with the SGS2 and couldn't be happier. I love the big screen, I have no issues with battery life and it is very fast.

SLAG 10-14-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7995035)
So, with the iPhone do you get out of that stupid 10 monthly charge for 4g service? I don't get 4g out here and I pay for that dumb shit every ****ing month.

No
Sprint changed it some time ago that all smartphones 3g or 4G will have to increase the $10 charge for "premium" data

Sent via tapatalk from the Photon 4G

Mr. Flopnuts 10-14-2011 04:38 PM

That extra 30 bucks a month may get me away from Sprint.

BigMeatballDave 10-15-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7995225)
That extra 30 bucks a month may get me away from Sprint.

Extra $30 for what?

teedubya 10-15-2011 04:21 PM

I had a Samsung Charge and hated it... had a Motorola Droid V1 and loved it... I just moved to iPhone 4S and holy shit it is fast. The screen is smaller than my Samsung Charge, but I got tired of the phone crashing when taking video or photos... and the GPS sucked on teh Charge.

I love the iPhone 4S, so far.

lawrenceRaider 10-15-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 7994543)
I really regret getting the Samsung Galaxy Indulge. It could be a good phone, but the battery life is about 5 hours even when it's not being used. If you are using it, maybe 1 hour at best. And yes I use task manager and shit.

I've had the phone for about 6 months now and just like anything else PC related it's starting to get all slow and even more crappy and it freezes quite a bit while you are doing something.

Again, I know about the task manager and the advanced task manager. But of course, you PC people will probably just tell me that it's my fault because I don't know how to open it up and grab a soldering iron and fix the motherboard and what not.

I'm gonna get the iphone in the near future.

I've never been happier with a computer than I am with my imac, it still runs like the day I bought it and if I bought PC, it would have already crapped itself. I'm done with PC, I'll gladly pay extra for apple products since they are obviously a superior, longer lasting product.

Moron much? Android has as much to do with PC's as a Mac or iOS.

Jawshco 03-08-2012 09:29 PM

I've had an iPhone 3GS for a couple years. Recently my contract expired and allowed me to upgrade my phone. So I decided to switch to the Samsung Galaxy S2, and I upgraded my wife's Blackberry to the iPhone 4S. Here are my observations of the two:

Samsung Galaxy S2: The first thing I noticed was that the S2 had a bigger, brighter screen, and a much louder speaker than my iPhone. However, both the sound and video quality was grittier. The four keys on the bottom were fairly convenient in comparison to the iPhone home key, but the multiple home and app screens seemed a little tedious and messy to me. The iPhone seems much smoother and stream lined in comparison.
After using it for a few days - the 4G, doesn't seem much faster than the iPhone's 3G. Plus, the Galaxy S2 eats up it's battery like crazy! It's far worse battery-wise than my previous iPhone, and oddly heats up like crazy when I'm surfing the web.
Another negative is that the apps on Galaxy S2 crash far more often than those on my previous iPhone. Even the web browser crashed, which I've never had happen with my iPhone.
On the positive side, the Droid market rocks and the free on-board GPS with Google voice is a lot closer to bonefide GPS system than the lousy iPhone equivalent (which is what really sold me). I can mount my Galaxy S2 in my car and use it almost exactly like a normal GPS system without paying for another device and a monthly service. This is a huge selling point for me. Not to mention that the GPS is far more accurate on the S2 than on the iPhone.
It does allow for some flash but the fact that many website are now adding secondary mobile pages makes this less relevant than before.
I hate the way the keyboard functions on both the Galaxy and the iPhone (especially when posting to sites like these), but I would have to give the edge to the iPhone (which causes me to swear far less).
Lastly, the voice recognition system that is advertised for the Galaxy S2 is highly inaccurate. It does not work as advertised! You can use the voice function to write a message within the body of a text, but it does not interact with your contact list to make calls and texts like the adverstisement on this video shows. Forget about this being as good as Siri, it doesn't even function as well as the voice recognition system on the 3GS.

On the iPhone 4S, I noticed that the newest OS is a lot more like the Droid's- including a pull down menu. While it's true that Siri is a bit overrated, she does work unlike the equivelant voice action system on the Galaxy S2. Still the lack of a bigger, better screen and better sound, and lack of a decent on-board GPS system and the boring design of the 4S- is keeping me away. However, if the iPhone 5 has a Galaxy-type of screen then I'll be switching to that without a second thought.

All in all, I'm not satisfied or overly impressed with either phone. I'm keeping the Galaxy S2 but I would totally understand why someone would choose the 4S instead.

Dartgod 03-09-2012 10:54 AM

Get the SwiftKey-X app for your keyboard. Well worth the two bucks I paid for it.