ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Closest thing to Deadwood? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252047)

keg in kc 11-03-2011 08:48 AM

Carnivale was actually the first HBO show I got into. Before I even started watching Sopranos.

I think for me, the first season was all kinds of awesome, but the second didn't feel like it lived up to it.

Just to mirror other folks, there's no other show like Deadwood. And you're not likely to see one. For whatever reason (probably a century of pop-culture brainwashing...) much of the American public still romanticizes the west, and a lot of people didn't and don't like the idea that people actually cussed and ****ed and sliced and diced each other back in those days.

LVNHACK 11-03-2011 09:02 AM

Rome, The Tudors, The Borgias

L.A. Chieffan 11-03-2011 09:37 AM

This looks interesting,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699748/

AMC has been smashing it lately

OmahaChief 11-04-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8075562)
I never saw them, but how do "Carnivale" and "Rome" compare to Deadwood?

Carnivale was amazing deep in the fact a lot of what was going on was for ones self to examine and process on how what they thought certain things meant. A buddy of mine and I used to have long talks about what we thought was going on and both had different ideas. In the end it was a mix of both of our ideas that actually was correct.

The show is well worth viewing.

Rome was another really good show but sadly it was cut too soon.

Miles 11-04-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8075562)
I never saw them, but how do "Carnivale" and "Rome" compare to Deadwood?

Rome and Deadwood probably have a decent amount in common at their core. Wide variety of characters at various levels of society who are largely all plotting for more power. Game of Thrones has a lot of the same thing going on as well. Definitely recommend both.

KcMizzou 11-04-2011 10:44 PM

Deadwood is one of those shows I just flat out missed.

Got season one now, though. I'm looking forward to it.

Miles 11-04-2011 10:51 PM

You should dig it. Doesn't reach greatness immediately but also don't recall it starting that slow either.

Easy 6 11-12-2011 04:38 PM

Just finished season one & i'm really liking this show, just rented season three today, because my lame vid store doesnt have season two.

Al Swearengen is one of the best bad guy characters of all time, just great writing & casting, who else but the guys playing them could you envision for each character?

Farnum? dead on, Swearengen same thing, Olyphant fits, for Wild Bill i would've liked to see someone that looked more like him, but i think Carradine got the attitude right, which makes sense because he's a bit of a student of the wild west iirc. I've honestly laughed, tears, for days straight at the guy who played Jack McCall & how he needles wild bill at cards... well thats one in a row for you wild biiilll.

Great show, cant wait to start year three tonight.

Huffmeister 11-12-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 8102054)
Farnum? dead on, Swearengen same thing, Olyphant fits, for Wild Bill i would've liked to see someone that looked more like him, but i think Carradine got the attitude right, which makes sense because he's a bit of a student of the wild west iirc. I've honestly laughed, tears, for days straight at the guy who played Jack McCall & how he needles wild bill at cards... well thats one in a row for you wild biiilll.

Yeah, the cast is incredible. There really isn't a weak performance in the bunch. Even the more minor characters, like Johnny, are great. But I think the most underrated performance is Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran. He did some amazing stuff with that character.

Easy 6 11-12-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8102128)
Yeah, the cast is incredible. There really isn't a weak performance in the bunch. Even the more minor characters, like Johnny, are great. But I think the most underrated performance is Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran. He did some amazing stuff with that character.

The first three episodes of season three tonight were great, you can see where the actors are really growing into their roles & just the overall quality from writing to production are better & your right about Doc, he owns that character, looks like he might be lost soon though, the ****suckers puking blood...

Love this series, i've been looking for something Sopranos worthy for awhile, looks like Rome is next.

rico 11-12-2011 11:09 PM

Carnivale is awesome. I actually preferred season 2 to season 1. Did ya'll know that the show was designed to have 6 seasons? Therefore, they had to tweak things at the end of season 2. The end of season 2 was awesome.

First HBO show I got into was "Oz." One of my favorite shows of all time. Second was "Six Feet Under." Love that show as well.

Buck 12-16-2011 03:26 PM

Just finished season 1 of Deadwood and God Damn if the season finale of season 1 wasn't one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2011 06:11 PM

I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to watch this show!

Buck 12-16-2011 06:32 PM

Yes. It's the first show you need to watch whenever you're done with whatever your current show is.

Red Brooklyn 12-16-2011 06:34 PM

Currently, I'm catching up on How I Met Your Mother.

Deadwood will be next.