ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Broncos sign C - Dan Koppen (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263537)

Quesadilla Joe 09-12-2012 12:57 PM

Denver's OL all graded out positively against Pittsburgh. And early on in the game Pitt tried blitzing the A gap quite a few times and they didn't get anything done.

listopencil 09-12-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8904489)
Denver's OL all graded out positively against Pittsburgh. And early on in the game Pitt tried blitzing the A gap quite a few times and they didn't get anything done.

They've been working on it. Our interior is young so it's certainly possible that they will improve. It's a work in progress.

listopencil 09-12-2012 01:01 PM

This is, by the way, one of the reasons I am so down on Moreno. We can't afford to keep a third down back that can't pass protect.

Quesadilla Joe 09-12-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8904508)
This is, by the way, one of the reasons I am so down on Moreno. We can't afford to keep a third down back that can't pass protect.

Moreno was coming back from a torn ACL and didn't have too many reps with the 1's in camp. He is a more than willing blocker, and is a tough SOB. He just is behind mentally right now.

htismaqe 09-12-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8904557)
Moreno was coming back from a torn ACL and didn't have too many reps with the 1's in camp. He is a more than willing blocker, and is a tough SOB. He just is behind mentally right now.

:LOL:

Black Bob 09-12-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8904487)
Bleacher Report is a piece of shit website, but they are correct that the interior of our O-Line is weak. When the Broncos brought Harris in I thought maybe they'd put him in at RT and move Franklin inside to help out. That didn't happen, and I don't care for a "work in progress" Offensive Line, but it is what it is. Peyton Manning absolutely does help with this. The thing is, if Manning can read the blitz he's going to burn D's for trying to take advantage of it.

Thanks for the input.

That's why I said ...

"(I know it's Bleacher Report but, it is a reasonable gauge in this instance. They are alright in these rankings imo.) "

As for Pittsburgh, their interior front isn't what it used to be. Hampton is old, Farrior is gone, and it's just noth same. Atlanta isn't good in this area either as they have a back MLB and schotty DTs. Jerry is playing a little better but he's not that good.

Signing Koppen now is smart. He will have some time to learn the offense before you start facing teams with a good inside rush.

listopencil 09-12-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8904557)

In his first game of the season he looked exactly like he has for his entire career with the Denver Broncos. The same indecision in the backfield, the same mediocre blocking skills, the same lack of vision. He's being kept because he's shown an ability to catch the ball in the past. That's a big part of being a competent third down back. So is pass pro. If he can't do it they need to get rid of him.

listopencil 09-12-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8904590)
Thanks for the input.

That's why I said ...

"(I know it's Bleacher Report but, it is a reasonable gauge in this instance. They are alright in these rankings imo.) "

As for Pittsburgh, their interior front isn't what it used to be. Hampton is old, Farrior is gone, and it's just noth same. Atlanta isn't good in this area either as they have a back MLB and schotty DTs. Jerry is playing a little better but he's not that good.

Signing Koppen now is smart. He will have some time to learn the offense before you start facing teams with a good inside rush.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking. Can't hurt to throw a vet into a group of struggling players, we'll see how much he's got left.

rtmike 09-12-2012 01:41 PM

good signing...

ct 09-12-2012 02:07 PM

that is a very good signing

good thing we're savin our bankroll for cassel's new contract...

FlaChief58 09-12-2012 02:22 PM

At least Warren gets a nice 5 million dollar parting gift. Sucks to go out that way though

Sorter 09-12-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8904590)
Thanks for the input.

That's why I said ...

In all honesty, I did completely miss that part. My apologies. I've had to see too many stupid ****ing Bleacher Report articles posted about MMA on my other board. Posting them there is now bannable IIR. Lol.

No apologies for the other thread though. :thumb:

Mile High Mania 09-12-2012 02:40 PM

I'm just not a Moreno fan ... use him as a change of pace for McGahee, but nothing more. Moreno should have some good moments, but I don't care to see him as an integral piece of the plan.

Regarding the OL, they do have some work to do to improve... hopefully, guys like Koppen can help shorten the learning curve for the young guys. In the PIT game, Manning had some nice protection ... helps greatly that he is very cerebral and can see things early and adjust. The WRs/RBs/TEs need to be steady with their blocking assignments and picking up the blitz.

Amnorix 09-12-2012 02:53 PM

Koppen looked to be completely done early in training camp but then got somewhat better as things went along. Ultimately, Wendell and Connolly did better than him, and he has no position flexibility whatsoever. He's a Center and only a Center. As a third string center with no position flexibility, there was no room on the roster for him, unfortunately.

I think at this point he's a slightly below average center who is trending downward, not upward. If you have serious problems at that position, he can probably help out, but don't think for a second he's going to represent any kind of significant upgrade or anything unless your current center is truly bad.

Quesadilla Joe 09-12-2012 03:19 PM

Koppen is strictly a depth signing. Our backup center was so bad, he cleared waivers and is now on our practice squad.