ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports MLB Hall of Fame class 2013. Will no one get in? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268665)

Garcia Bronco 01-09-2013 01:21 PM

Bonds, McGuire, Clemens and Schilling should all be in....it's a no brain-er.

As far as PED's...baseball has been on PEDs since the 50's so give it a rest.

Deberg_1990 01-09-2013 01:23 PM

Biggio will get in eventually....just didnt quite cut it as a "first ballot" election

Chief Roundup 01-09-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9300129)
Bonds, McGuire, Clemens and Schilling should all be in....it's a no brain-er.

As far as PED's...baseball has been on PEDs since the 50's so give it a rest.

I agree. I don't want players using PEDs but the writers are punishing the players for MLBs lack of being proactive and having a good policy in place. And yes people don't want to talk about back when the teams were actually giving players "greenies" to play the day night double headers in a row etc. Now they are going to punish anyone that they don't know about because of a "cloud" over the whole era.
To me they should just realize that it always has been part of any competitive sport and always will be. Whether it was greenies, coke, ephdra or HGH. Every person in an organization from the player to the owner is looking for an advantage.
I can also see a difference, once baseball put a legitmate screening program in place, that someone caught after that would be held accountable differently than someone caught or suspected before that time.

whoman69 01-09-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9300251)
I agree. I don't want players using PEDs but the writers are punishing the players for MLBs lack of being proactive and having a good policy in place. And yes people don't want to talk about back when the teams were actually giving players "greenies" to play the day night double headers in a row etc. Now they are going to punish anyone that they don't know about because of a "cloud" over the whole era.
To me they should just realize that it always has been part of any competitive sport and always will be. Whether it was greenies, coke, ephdra or HGH. Every person in an organization from the player to the owner is looking for an advantage.
I can also see a difference, once baseball put a legitmate screening program in place, that someone caught after that would be held accountable differently than someone caught or suspected before that time.

By proactive do you mean the union allowing testing to take place? There were rules against PEDs going back years, but they had no teeth because the union headed by Donald Fehr refused to allow testing until Congress took over.

duncan_idaho 01-09-2013 02:51 PM

A few thoughts...

I don't mind Biggio not getting in on his first ballot. First-ballot HOF types are unquestioned superstars who are MVP winners, guys who dominated leagues for several years.

Biggio is not that guy.

I don't really care about any of the steroid guys getting in. So what. Those guys made their choices and seem happy with them.

I don't buy Jack Morris as a HOF guy. YEah, he was hard-nosed and tough. Yeah, he pitched for two WS winners. But the guy was just VERY GOOD, not great. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good (and yes, if I had a chance, I would kick out several players who don't deserve to be in the hall, among them Rabbit Maranville, Phil Rizzuto, Pee Wee Reese, etc.).

kcxiv 01-09-2013 03:02 PM

lol, i am laughing the players give a shit if they get into the hall of fame or not. Is it a nice prize at tghe end of a career? sure, but the money they make is by far greater to them. they can actually enjoy it.

Do you really think SammY Sosa gives a ****? or Manny Ramirez these guys grew up with no ****ing shows paying baseball in the mud with little or nothing. Now because of some talent and some steriods they are going to live like kings the rest of their life in their poor country. Its well well worth the risk.

Sammy and Manny chillen drinking some drinks on a beach somewhere smiling from ear to ear.

chefsos 01-09-2013 03:14 PM

...And business owners all over Cooperstown look for a tall building with windows that open outward, or maybe a bridge.

scho63 01-09-2013 03:29 PM

If Pete Rose isn't getting in, neither should Bonds, McGuire, or Clemens or any other steroid junkie.

Glad they got so little votes

KC_Connection 01-09-2013 03:33 PM

Look at that, the BBWAA let down baseball again in a more completely embarrassing, hypocritical, and holier-than-thou way than usual. What kind of Hall of Fame doesn't allow two of the greatest players in the sport's history in? One that's not worth paying attention to.

blaise 01-09-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9300537)
If Pete Rose isn't getting in, neither should Bonds, McGuire, or Clemens or any other steroid junkie.

Pete's not even eligible because he broke a rule that every ball player knows you can't break.

BlackHelicopters 01-09-2013 06:18 PM

Baseball writers become more irrelevant every year. Newspapers are dead. Vin Scully does not have a HOF vote.

TEX 01-09-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9300537)

But Craig Biggio should have. Dude came up as a Catcher, made the All Star team, tjan became an All Star 2nd Baseman and finished his career in the outfield. Along the way he got more than 3,000 hits snd 400+ steals 660+ doubles. He has HOF numbers. Easily.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-09-2013 06:32 PM

My top 10, in order of awesomeness, and separated by HOFers and non-HOFers.

DEFINITELY SHOULD BE IN THE HALL:
1. Barry Bonds - It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good Guys. He was far and away the best player of his era, steroids or not. Plus, he's famous.
2. Mark McGwire - See above, except for the part about the best player.
3. Tim Raines - This one is just mind-boggling. Sixth year on ballot and he's not in? 808 stolen bases and a career .385 OBP. Amazing player.
4. Mike Piazza - Record-setting numbers for a catcher, and Hall of Fame numbers regardless of position.
5. Roger Clemens - 7 Cy Young Awards.
6. Jeff Bagwell - 162-game average: .297 AVG, .408 OBP, 34 HR, 115 RBI. Those look like Hall of Fame numbers to me.
7. Sammy Sosa - 609 homers. Enough said.

NOT QUITE:
8. Larry Walker - Great player, but probably not quite Hall of Fame-worthy.
9. Fred McGriff - The nickname Crime Dog alone should get him in the Hall, but I don't think it will.
10. Edgar Martinez - An excellent hitter but loses some credibility for being a DH and not having overwhelming power numbers.

TEX 01-09-2013 06:39 PM

Therman, Biggio is not on your list. Why?

Frazod 01-09-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9301214)
Therman, Biggio is not on your list. Why?

I'll tell you why he's not on my list - that goddamn kevlar brace he wore on his arm (just like cheater Bonds). Allowed him to crowd the plate with no fear of getting injured. Screw 'em both.