ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268964)

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324181)
You're an idiot. Just sayin'

Go blow Tom Brady

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324177)
So let's assume you started when you were at 8 years old, which is about as early as it gets. You played 8 years, total. And when you're young you seriously just aren't moving all that fast. The violence of the collisions increases as you get older.

If Jones started at the same age as you, he played your 8 years, plus 2 more HS years, plus 4 more college, plus 12 pro, so a total of 26 years. More than triple you, and MOST of those were when the action is much, much faster/harder, and the chances of concussion that might higher.

That, more than anything else, is why you're almost definitely fine, and he is probably ****ed.

Agreed, totally. I guess I was trying to illustrate that none if us can know the toll it takes on your body because there are no professional or hell very few college athletes (if any) on this board, so we can't go off our own life experience of "Sucking it up and get through it".

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324190)
I don't care what anyone says, my mind will not change about this. You choose your path. You knew the risks involved, don't come crying about it. You could have taken your free college education and gotten a great job working for 6 figures, and not had to worry about concussions. Instead you wanted big money so you took the risk. I don't give a shit. Go play tennis next time pussy

I'll spend a few minutes on this, though God knows why because I damn well know it's a waste of time:

1. until the last few years, nobody really understood just how damaging multiple concussions could be to the quality of life of football players post-career. So yes, they understood the risk of injury, but did they understand that multiple concussions might leave them seriously mentally impaired on a daily basis by the time they were 50? Hell no.

2. You say they are whining and want sympathy. I didn't see any whining there. I saw a bunch of statements of obvious facts, and CONCERN that he MIGHT be in trouble in the future. Like any normal human would be concerned.

3. It seems to me that donating one's brain to scientific study, and discussing this issue, can only help future players and the NFL try to figure out how to play the game in a way that we recognize as football, while trying to avoid having a psychiatric ward full of mentally impaired former NFL players.

What, exactly, did Jones do that was wrong here? Answer: nothing.

But by all means go back to your knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing "he knew da risks, **** 'im" point of view. I'm sure that will be very beneficial to former, current and future NFL players.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324153)
I get a headache if I don't drink 2 red bulls in a day. Should I donate my brain?

There doesn't appear to be much for them to study, so I'd say don't bother...

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324210)
Agreed, totally. I guess I was trying to illustrate that none if us can know the toll it takes on your body because there are no professional or hell very few college athletes (if any) on this board, so we can't go off our own life experience of "Sucking it up and get through it".

Yeah, most of us can't relate. Even if you played all the way through high school, varsity, you DID NOT play in a major college program for 4 years (where the speed and force of collisions are what? Double? Triple your average HS?) and then for years more at the NFL (where you can probably double or triple them again).

Also, some positions are going to be far more prone to this than others. QB? Kicker? Punter? Offensive Line? Defensive line? Chances are you probably aren't taking the kind of repeated head shots that players at other positions are taking.

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324214)
There doesn't appear to be much for them to study, so I'd say don't bother...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:40 AM

What more can they possibly do to make the game safer without making it flag football is my point.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

I get a headache if I don't drink 2 red bulls in a day. Should I donate my brain?

These guys all want to come out after they retire and cry about injuries. Ok, thats fine please return all your money to the NFL vault and we will fix your brain.

You're really ****ing stupid

RealSNR 01-16-2013 11:41 AM

Jones was already about as useful as a brain in a jar when we got him.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324228)
What more can they possibly do to make the game safer without making it flag football is my point.

That didn't seem like the point you were making.

My point is, it's depressing because at the end of the day, there is not much more that can be done to make the game safer. It is what it is.

Brock 01-16-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324228)

No, that wasn't your point. Your point was the same as every other sidewalk commando who thinks addressing brain trauma in football players is whining.

nychief 01-16-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

These guys all want to come out after they retire and cry about injuries. Ok, thats fine please return all your money to the NFL vault and we will fix your brain.

okay...that is equatable.... or.... just ****ing stupid.

loochy 01-16-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324190)
I don't care what anyone says, my mind will not change about this. You choose your path. You knew the risks involved, don't come crying about it. You could have taken your free college education and gotten a great job working for 6 figures, and not had to worry about concussions. Instead you wanted big money so you took the risk. I don't give a shit. Go play tennis next time pussy

The we have to hear about preventing knee degradation in tennis players

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9324267)
okay...that is equatable.... or.... just ****ing stupid.

I understand that you guys dont know me, so I should probably lay off the sarcasm a bit.

The point is, what else can be done to make the game safer? Donating your brain is great. In the long term what is that going to accomplish? It's going to show more evidence of how violent the game really is. Its going to scare parents off from teaching there kids the game.

boogblaster 01-16-2013 12:25 PM

suspose his brain never was right .....