ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Researchers: Toddler cured of HIV (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270687)

Stanley Nickels 03-03-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9461201)
It's not uncommon. This has been standard procedure for quite a while. It's known as post-exposure prophylaxis. Medical professionals who receive needle sticks from suspected or actual patients with HIV have been given AZT for years.

The difference in this case is that the child was given a full cocktail, possibly including fusion and/or integrase inhibitors, a newer, stronger class of drug.

The Berlin patient mentioned in the article was technically cured, but it's not a feasible cure, as he required a bone marrow transplant and received BM from a donor with the CCR5 Delta 32 mutation, a rare mutation more common among Northern Europeans, which confers resistance to HIV.

The entire chemokine family shows a ton of potential as far as understanding the spread of disease. I study CCR7's role in the chemotactic spread of cancers... really interesting stuff.

Chief3188 03-03-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9461389)
this could be good if I am reborn.

To an HIV infected mother

listopencil 03-03-2013 08:18 PM

"Researchers tell CNN only 1% of Caucasians -- mostly Northern Europeans -- and no African-Americans or Asians have this particular mutation."

I wonder if you can get tested, to see if you have the mutation. I'd donate my bone marrow if it could help somebody beat AIDS.

J Diddy 03-03-2013 08:55 PM

Gay caused it and Gay fixed it.

Cephalic Trauma 03-03-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9461103)
So does telling someone to run into an aids tree no longer carry the same weight? I guess we'll have to stick with "die in a fire" and "drink antifreeze."

Hate to break it to you guys, but antifreeze poisoning is treatable, too. :shrug:

I'll go pour myself a tall glass now that I've ruined more fun.

QuikSsurfer 03-03-2013 09:33 PM

These gay jokes are in very poor taste.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive because I work at UMC and know Mrs. Gay and her family. Regardless, bad form.

J Diddy 03-03-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9461782)
These gay jokes are in very poor taste.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive because I work at UMC and know Mrs. Gay and her family. Regardless, bad form.

You might need to check your vagina. You could have some AIDS in there.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-03-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9461536)
"Researchers tell CNN only 1% of Caucasians -- mostly Northern Europeans -- and no African-Americans or Asians have this particular mutation."

I wonder if you can get tested, to see if you have the mutation. I'd donate my bone marrow if it could help somebody beat AIDS.

Yes, you can, but it would almost never happen. You'd need someone with leukemia or another advanced cancer who would need a BMT. As is, the risk/reward would make a BMT for the purposes of giving them the mutation a poor choice, especially given advancements in antiretrovirals.

With a BMT you run the risk of dying from all sorts of complications, including graft-versus-host.

Fun fact: the mutation exists because those with it were much less likely to succumb to the Black Death. Evolution at work.