ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals This CAN'T be possible............... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273079)

Radar Chief 05-15-2013 09:16 AM

When I was just a little guy in grade school the local radio station owner got Brett to come to town for an autograph signing session. All I remember is standing in line then handing him a baseball and he signed it.
Dad, however, remembers him loudly bitching about having to be in this little shit hole town and how beneath him it all was. Dad later told me he completely lost any respect he had for George that day.

Dave Lane 05-15-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9684147)
One of the greatest players of all time. And a very nice guy when I met him at Arrowhead and at Starlight for his retirement deal.

Leslie his wife is very nice as well. At the retirement there was a line of people giving her hugs- so I just got in line and she gave me a huge hug and kiss on the cheek. As I walked away I think it kind of dawned on her- she didn't know who I was-lol She was hot!~!

Leslie is really nice worked with them through a friend on a couple of occasions. She really rules the roost though. Got some baseballs and royals bags from them they were gonna toss. He's a OK dude away from people, understandable when he gets around douches like Prison Cumcatcher he has a different viewpoint.

Their new house is cool but liked the old one better personally.

gblowfish 05-15-2013 10:03 AM

Here's a story. When George went into the Baseball HOF, I made the pilgrimage to Cooperstown to see his induction (1999 I think). Anyway, this was in August, the ceremony was held in a public park in Cooperstown. Probably 20 or 30 thousand people. Like a big Woodstock. I was probably 500 yards from the stage. George looked like a speck, like a little ant, waaaaaaay across this big park meadow. I could hear him on the loudspeakers. So I travel 1500 miles to see him, and I'm barely in the same area code.

A week later there's a pre-season game at Arrowhead. I'm in my seat in the front row, over the stairs where the players come up onto the field. During pre-game, who pops up the stairs but none other than.... George Brett. I called to him, and he turned around and came over. I told him a week earlier I went all the way to Cooperstown to see him, and couldn't get near him, and now a week later I'm standing here talking to him in KC. He shook my hand and thanked me for making the trip. Just goes to show ya, you never know from week to week what's possible!

Codered 05-15-2013 10:07 AM

I know George gets a bad rap from time to time. There is plenty of stories out there where he has been a jerk.

However, I get the chance to see him a few times a year at work and he is a class act every single time. I know it's a different enviroment then fans rushing up to him and all that in the outside world.

Always willing to talk baseball and have a good time.

siberian khatru 05-15-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9684218)
Here's a story. When George went into the Baseball HOF, I made the pilgrimage to Cooperstown to see his induction (1999 I think). Anyway, this was in August, the ceremony was held in a public park in Cooperstown. Probably 20 or 30 thousand people. Like a big Woodstock. I was probably 500 yards from the stage. George looked like a speck, like a little ant, waaaaaaay across this big park meadow. I could hear him on the loudspeakers. So I travel 1500 miles to see him, and I'm barely in the same area code.

A week later there's a pre-season game at Arrowhead. I'm in my seat in the front row, over the stairs where the players come up onto the field. During pre-game, who pops up the stairs but none other than.... George Brett. I called to him, and he turned around and came over. I told him a week earlier I went all the way to Cooperstown to see him, and couldn't get near him, and now a week later I'm standing here talking to him in KC. He shook my hand and thanked me for making the trip. Just goes to show ya, you never know from week to week what's possible!

Neat. I was at the induction ceremony too, about the same distance as you. I think at the time that was the No. 1 or No. 2 largest induction crowd they had ever had (Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount making it a particularly popular class).

HemiEd 05-15-2013 10:53 AM

Happy Birthday George! He made watching baseball a lot more fun with many, many great memories. I doubt if I would ever remember Charlie Lau's name if it wasn't for George Brett.

The only time I ever saw him up close, I had the Mrs. and both young daughters in the car, looking for a parking spot well before the game.
I must have turned in front of him or something, because I saw his eyes get pretty big in that blue Porsche of his when he stopped abruptly. :D Actually, I think he was running late and in a huge hurry to get to the locker room.

Stewie 05-15-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9684232)
Neat. I was at the induction ceremony too, about the same distance as you. I think at the time that was the No. 1 or No. 2 largest induction crowd they had ever had (Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount making it a particularly popular class).

And George gave one of the greatest speeches I can remember. If that didn't bring a tear to your eye there's something wrong. Nolan on the other hand was a dud.

Mr. Flopnuts 05-15-2013 11:21 AM

I don't give a **** what anybody says, 5 to me is a down home funny guy that was particularly gifted at baseball. One of the joys of my childhood was the 85 series. God bless George Brett. And his soiled pantaloons.

siberian khatru 05-15-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9684328)
And George gave one of the greatest speeches I can remember. If that didn't bring a tear to your eye there's something wrong. Nolan on the other hand was a dud.

I met Ryan once and he seemed very uncomfortable around people. He was polite, but not warm, and just seemed kind of embarrassed by all the attention.

P.S. I named my first-born son after him and Brett -- Ryan Brett.

lcarus 05-15-2013 11:38 AM

George took the most perfectly double-tapered shit on the morning of his 60th birthday.

sd4chiefs 05-15-2013 12:46 PM

I remember when he was first becoming a superstar for the Royals and I noticed that he was younger than me by one month. :(

Pepe Silvia 05-15-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 9683987)
And a perfect double tapered shit

Just a great ****in' meal!

Nzoner 05-15-2013 03:11 PM

HB #5

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PrTYdlaqtxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN 05-16-2013 08:53 PM

I enjoyed listening to Brett during the Home Run Derby last summer. Got a lot of good laughs

Chiefshrink 05-16-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9683962)
HBD #5! The greatest Royal of all time. Still, one of the greatest clutch hitters I've ever watched, with one of the prettiest swings you will ever see.

AMEN BROTHER !! 5