ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The fear of moving up (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273528)

Sully 06-01-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9723695)
certainly sounds like a good opportunity

will you have to move?
will you miss out on learning from your current 'greatest HC evah'?

good luck

I'll be in the "area" still, but it's gonna be a long drive every day. I'll probably stay in a hotel in the town I'll be in on Friday nights.

I'll miss working with the HC I'm with now, as well as several others on his staff (our staff is loaded with almost all former HCs). But they've all made it clear that their lines are open if I ever need help or advice.

stonedstooge 06-01-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9723719)
Lol

I worked in small schools for 15 years. Glad you got the joke

Sully 06-01-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9723743)
I worked in small schools for 15 years. Glad you got the joke

My rule with parents is pretty simple.
I'm happy to talk to them about their athlete, and why they aren't playing/are playing a different position. But only AFTER that athlete has had the same discussion with me himself.
And I'll never discuss Xs and Os.

patteeu 06-01-2013 03:49 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about Jilly trading you in for a trophy husband.

Good luck if you decide to take the job. Don't be afraid. Think about all the morons who have been able to do this in the past. If they can do it, so can you, and you can probably do it better.

phisherman 06-01-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9723678)
Coach Roderique?

That guy's a machine, Webb City just keeps producing year after year. I have a lot of family in Joplin/Carterville and ALL high school sports are a huge deal for them.

phisherman 06-01-2013 03:52 PM

Go for it Sully!

If you want to be the head guy, you have to be willing to take risks and get out of your comfort zone. What better way than to take this gig? Even if you don't do as well as you'd like, you're still gaining valuable experience, learning about the job/future jobs and learning about yourself as well.

jspchief 06-01-2013 03:53 PM

DC for high school football is a "job"?

DaneMcCloud 06-01-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9723717)
No
But I've met him several times. Really good guy. Obviously a good coach, although he's also able to get some of the best players in the city.

He was great back in the early 80's when working in the Kansas public school system. Three straight 6A State Championship game appearances in a row, with one win.

It was a sad day when he left and that school has never recovered.

Rain Man 06-01-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9723850)

If our college system is any indication, I bet this is the second-highest paying job in the whole school district.

Demonpenz 06-01-2013 04:26 PM

Go for it.

Mr. Laz 06-01-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9723731)
I'll be in the "area" still, but it's gonna be a long drive every day. I'll probably stay in a hotel in the town I'll be in on Friday nights.

I'll miss working with the HC I'm with now, as well as several others on his staff (our staff is loaded with almost all former HCs). But they've all made it clear that their lines are open if I ever need help or advice.

sounds like you have made your decision then

Go get'em!!

:clap:

Sully 06-01-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9723955)
sounds like you have made your decision then

Go get'em!!

:clap:

Oh yeah. There's no decision to make. If I'm offered the job, I take it. But there's no doubt a level of anxiety with the new role.

Sully 06-01-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9723850)

The teaching is the job. And there's a shit ton more stress that goes with that. But yeah, in HS football (and middle school, and even little league) there are position coaches, coordinators, etc.
If it weren't for my football experience, I wouldn't get half the interviews I get. That's why I started coaching while I was finishing school. It may finally be paying off.

ChiefsCountry 06-01-2013 05:13 PM

Bouchard? The former Harrisonville coach, I think Sully mentioned it in the past on here.

Hammock Parties 06-01-2013 05:15 PM

Hey Sully, have you read Bill Walsh's football bible?

I can send you a PDF. It's really expensive in print.

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1571671722