ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Fantasy Football Who's your guy in the 4th quarter when losing to an above .500 team: Alex or Aa (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274505)

DanT 07-13-2013 10:37 AM

I'm expecting good things from Alex Smith, based on what I've seen of his performances living out here in 49ers country.

Mav 07-13-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9808749)
I remember when Herm trotted out this stupid line of bullshit about the Chiefs defense in 2006.

"The offense scored too fast!! The defense was bad because the offense was good!!"

The offense scoring makes it easier on a defense because it makes the other team more predictable.

That's fair, I guess. But im sorry. In this day and age, I am pretty sure that the less chances you give Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, the better. Trying to have a shootout with those guys, is a pretty stupid idea. Hence why the 49ers defense suddenly got worse when Kaep took over, and people wanted to point the blame at Justin Smith getting hurt. Uh, well, okay, ill buy some of that, but a majority of it was the fact that the 49ers turned the ball over more, they scored quicker, they gave other teams more chances.

It would be stupid for the Chiefs, who have invested so much in the run game, and Oline, to try to get into shootouts with people, because its playing away from the strengths of the team. And, me included, I don't necessarily think that trying to have a shoot out with Peyton Manning, and his RECEIVING CORPS, which just happens to be a top 3 receiving corps in the nfl with the Packers, and Saints, is a good strategy to have.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 07-13-2013 10:38 AM

If this were Bewitched. Alex would be the old Darren and Cassel would be the new gay Darren. Hope that helps.

DanT 07-13-2013 10:42 AM

The most important stat is winning, which is based on the point total at the end of the game. A fourth quarter comeback is nice, but to be in the situation where a fourth quarter comeback is necessary means that your team got outscored up to that point.

Rausch 07-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9808695)
Pretty sure some of his amazing "comebacks" feature his team scoring less than 20 points.

Basically his defense kept the game close and he finally put up a few points by the end of the game.

This.

And once the HC realized his defense was $#itting its pants (see last 11 games for SF) He decided to make a move at QB. He had to.

He no longer had the defense to play Martyball. His secondary was puking pts and his front 7 wasn't getting pressure/turnovers.

He needed that extra offensive spark he hoped the Kap could provide...

cdcox 07-13-2013 10:43 AM

Not specifically related to the Rogers vs. Smith debate, but I don't like that they defined a comeback opportunity as every time the offense/quarterback having possession in the fourth quarter while trailing by 1-8 points and then considering the only outcome as W or L.

All of these are treated the same:

1. not leading a comeback when down by 2 points with 3:00 left on the clock
2. not leading a comeback when down by 8 with 0:15 left on the clock
3. not leading a comeback when down by 8, getting the score and the conversion to tie, and then losing on a FG given up by your defense.

Rausch 07-13-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 9808760)
The most important stat is winning, which is based on the point total at the end of the game.

Steve Bono = Best QB in Chiefs history...

Fish 07-13-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9808730)
No. What is flawed, is your refusal to consider all variables when babbling. How many of those were before harbaugh? That's all that really matters to be honest. Your very premise that Alex Smith sucks, is all pre harbaugh, and you want to act like his time with Harbaugh never happened.

LMAO.... All that really matters are his stats after Harbaugh? That's convenient...

But if that's the case, we should expect Alex to regress this year, since the difference maker Harbaugh won't be coaching him anymore. Bummer.....

Mav 07-13-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9808761)
This.

And once the HC realized his defense was $#itting its pants (see last 11 games for SF) He decided to make a move at QB. He had to.

He no longer had the defense to play Martyball. His secondary was puking pts and his front 7 wasn't getting pressure/turnovers.

He needed that extra offensive spark he hoped the Kap could provide...

What? lol. Okay Rausch. This is complete and utter bullshit. the 49ers other than the Giants game, from about weeks 4 till when alex got hurt in week 9, were DESTROYING PEOPLE.

Week 4. Jets 34-0 win
week 5 Buffalo 45-3 win
week 6 nyg loss 3-26
week 7 seattle 13-6, win
week 8 Arizona 24-3 Win alex smith goes for 18/19 defense gives up nothing.

those are the last 5 games alex smith started. What the **** are you talking about. I really respect your takes normally, but this was just shit you pulled out of your ass. The defense started going to shit weeks 15, 16, and 17. Actually played badly against aaron Rodgers in the divisional round of the playoffs, played like crap against the falcons, and played badly in the super bowl. The qb switch had nothing to do with Jim Harbaugh wanting to protect his defense. Kaep was just his guy. his hand chosen drafted guy, that they moved up to get. This is just stupid bullshit.

Mav 07-13-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9808778)
LMAO.... All that really matters are his stats after Harbaugh? That's convenient...

But if that's the case, we should expect Alex to regress this year, since the difference maker Harbaugh won't be coaching him anymore. Bummer.....

Well, it will either prove one of two things. either, Jim is that good, or perhaps that with good coaching, players can reach their potential.

I don't know how that is going to work out. But, I mean, by all means, Mike Singletary, and Mike Nolan have been stellar head coaches after Alex Smith got them fired............

Sandy Vagina 07-13-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9808778)

It's called what-have-u-done-for-me-lately... which is all that matters. RT Anthony Davis gave up around 30 sacks in his first 2 years. Now, he is regarded as one of the better OTs in the game. So, do those first 2 years matter? now that he's good? think about it...

Quote:

Success Rate (“Proportion of plays in which a player is directly involved that would typically be considered successful”)

Kaepernick: 48.9 (14th)

Smith: 51.1 (8th)

Rausch 07-13-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9808782)
What? lol. Okay Rausch. This is complete and utter bullshit. the 49ers other than the Giants game, from about weeks 4 till when alex got hurt in week 9, were DESTROYING PEOPLE.

How many of those games were their last 11 games?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9808782)
Week 4. Jets 34-0 win
week 5 Buffalo 45-3 win
week 6 nyg loss 3-26
week 7 seattle 13-6, win
week 8 Arizona 24-3 Win alex smith goes for 18/19 defense gives up nothing.

those are the last 5 games alex smith started. What the **** are you talking about.

I don't give a **** what Alex started. I didn't mention that.

The last 11 games (including playoffs.)

The SF defense got worse as the season went on (both Smith and Kap) and their HC was smart enough to make a change when he did.

Discuss Thrower 07-13-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9808749)
I remember when Herm trotted out this stupid line of bullshit about the Chiefs defense in 2006.

"The offense scored too fast!! The defense was bad because the offense was good!!"

The offense scoring makes it easier on a defense because it makes the other team more predictable.

Assuming Team Scores 24 points in both circumstances, is it better that they score those 24 points with 29 minutes or for 32 minutes in time of possession?

Saccopoo 07-13-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 9808760)
The most important stat is winning, which is based on the point total at the end of the game. A fourth quarter comeback is nice, but to be in the situation where a fourth quarter comeback is necessary means that your team got outscored up to that point.

http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/AboutJones.../08-lolwut.jpg

Fish 07-13-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9808788)
It's called what-have-u-done-for-me-lately... which is all that matters. RT Anthony Davis gave up around 30 sacks in his first 2 years. Now, he is regarded as one of the better OTs in the game. So, do those first 2 years matter? now that he's good? think about it...

"What-have-u-done-for-me-lately" AKA "Throw-out-bad-stats-that-show-my-opinion-as-being-reeruned"