ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Baseball : Who is the best player you ever saw play baseball? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275027)

007 08-02-2013 04:04 PM

Brett

Prison Bitch 08-02-2013 04:07 PM

Obviously Bonds but he is a fraud so he's scratched.

The 2nd choice is very easy, and it's Pedro Martinez. Saw him beat us Opening Day 1998 I believe and a couple other times. Dominant in every way.

Pepe Silvia 08-02-2013 04:08 PM

I was fortunate enough to see Ken Griffey Jr. for all of his prime years, I thought he was going to be the greatest ever by the end of his career but sadly it didn't turn out that way.

Easy 6 08-02-2013 04:10 PM

Ozzy Smith

Ed - forgot George Brett

Deberg_1990 08-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9853535)
I was fortunate enough to see Ken Griffey Jr. for all of his prime years, I thought he was going to be the greatest ever by the end of his career but sadly it didn't turn out that way.

His career actually looks better now in relation to the era he came up in and the scandals that have plagued his peers.

gblowfish 08-02-2013 04:12 PM

This question is too general. Waaaay too general. There is no "best baseball player." It depends on their position.

I've seen every American League team play in KC since 1969. I've seen a lot of National League teams in St. Louis when I lived in Columbia.

Off the top of my head I'd have to say:

Starting Pitchers: Noland Ryan: Saw him throw a no-no at Royals Stadium.
Relief Pitcher: Bruce Sutter or Quiz.

1B: Killebrew or McCovey.
2B: Carew or Rose.
SS: Yount or Ripken.
3B: Brett or Cabrera.
C: Bench or Fisk.

OF: Reggie, Gwynn, Bonds.

Saw Gibson strike out like 15 guys in one game when I was a kid.

Just too many....

Chief_For_Life58 08-02-2013 04:14 PM

Definitely Mark Teahen

9er guy 08-02-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9853542)
This question is too general. Waaaay too general. There is no "best baseball player."...

To be fair, he did qualify it with "That you saw".

MMXcalibur 08-02-2013 04:18 PM

Todd Helton

...but then again I've only been to one baseball game and I was bored out of my mind. He did hit his first major league homer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTAcAMl7uAQ

...so I guess that was cool.

Pepe Silvia 08-02-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9853538)
His career actually looks better now in relation to the era he came up in and the scandals that have plagued his peers.

I was just thinking that.

DeezNutz 08-02-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9853542)
This question is too general. Waaaay too general. There is no "best baseball player." It depends on their position.

I've seen every American League team play in KC since 1969. I've seen a lot of National League teams in St. Louis when I lived in Columbia.

Off the top of my head I'd have to say:

Starting Pitchers: Noland Ryan: Saw him throw a no-no at Royals Stadium.
Relief Pitcher: Bruce Sutter or Quiz.

1B: Killebrew or McCovey.
2B: Carew or Rose.
SS: Yount or Ripken.
3B: Brett or Cabrera.
C: Bench or Fisk.

OF: Reggie, Gwynn, Bonds.

Saw Gibson strike out like 15 guys in one game when I was a kid.

Just too many....

How does Jr. not make your outfield?

I would damn near kill to see a no-no in person.

gblowfish 08-02-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9853560)
How does Jr. not make your outfield?

I would damn near kill to see a no-no in person.

I think Reggie because he's Reggie, Gwynn because he came closest to hitting .400 since Brett, and Bonds because his head grew three hat sizes in five years.

I've seen two no-hitters in person. Saw Ryan no hit the Royals when he was with the California Angels, and saw Sabes no hit the Chisox. Both were at Royals (now Kauffman) Stadium.

gblowfish 08-02-2013 04:27 PM

Pete Rose is hard to pin down because he played all over the place in his career: Started as a second baseman, also played third, OF, and ended as a 1B.

gblowfish 08-02-2013 04:28 PM

I saw Hank Aaron play too. Saw him in St. Louis when I was a kid, and saw him in KC with the Brewers when he was on his last legs. Saw Willie Mays play in St. Louis when he was with the Mets in his last year.

BigRedChief 08-02-2013 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Griffey Jr. is a close second to Pujols in his prime. Best Pitcher was Bob Gibson.

I saw Pujols hit a grand slam from 7 rows behind home plate and it landed here.