ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life If you were me.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275051)

Bugeater 08-03-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9856992)
Also I have limited experience in working at a bar cleaning and preparing frozen food.

That's probably your best bet.

007 08-03-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9856731)
Find something you enjoy doing. Do that.

But would he be able to make a career out of that?

J Diddy 08-03-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9856728)
Competent at writing on deadline.. I don't mind researching text for any particular reason.

The job I interviewed for was in insurance sales, I got into the pool of the last 2-3 candidates even though I have zero sales experience.

The degree helps but the ba makes it like an advanced hs diploma. Get the masters. That's what it is at now. Trust me.

J Diddy 08-03-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9857081)
But would he be able to make a career out of that?

If he was lucky, yes.

007 08-03-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9857097)
If he was lucky, yes.

Well, he obviously isn't lucky now is he.

Dayze 08-03-2013 11:53 PM

I'd begin by trying to get in the door someplace and getting experience.

I'm making as much as engineers with my gig, and I don't have a degree. But I worked for the manager about 7 yrs ago and he called me out of the blue because he knew of my experience, attitude, ethic etc.

Short of something very very specific in career path, college doesn't give a good ROI.
Cut your losses so to speak.

Dayze 08-03-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9857044)
Join the military

Being an officer in the Navy would be awesome. I was enlisted, but officers had it made.

Easy 6 08-04-2013 12:11 AM

Man, its so stupid out there in the marketplace for humans right now, its just an incredibly odd congruence of miserly business owner habits and a glut of desperate people with many even offering to work well below their experience level... hence the "overqualified" label... i've never understood that charge, you're saying you dont want an extremely capable employee for the same amount of money you'd hire an idiot for?

I personally know two holders of Masters degrees who are by turns, unemployed... or working as a waiter in chicago to supplement what they're already doing! Just heard that from a relative tonight!... if thats me, mother**** chicago, i'll go where i dont have to work 80 hours a week to live.

Has a masters, now waits tables to go with his teaching job... dumbest shit i've ever heard of... GET. OUT. OF. DODGE.

Thanks, Obama!

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9857123)
Man, its so stupid out there in the marketplace for humans right now, its just an incredibly odd congruence of miserly business owner habits and a glut of desperate people with many even offering to work well below their experience level... hence the "overqualified" label... i've never understood that charge, you're saying you dont want an extremely capable employee for the same amount of money you'd hire an idiot for?

I personally know two holders of Masters degrees who are by turns, unemployed... or working as a waiter in chicago to supplement what they're already doing! Just heard that from a relative tonight!... if thats me, mother**** chicago, i'll go where i dont have to work 80 hours a week to live.

Has a masters, now waits tables to go with his teaching job... dumbest shit i've ever heard of... GET. OUT. OF. DODGE.

Thanks, Obama!

I'm related by marriage to a former professor. She had pages of research credits in addition to teaching with a masters.

Unemployed for the better part of a year before going into counseling. Granted she couldn't move due to family but still.

Easy 6 08-04-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9857125)
I'm related by marriage to a former professor. She had pages of research credits in addition to teaching with a masters.

Unemployed for the better part of a year before going into counseling. Granted she couldn't move due to family but still.

YES WE CAN AMERICA... YES WE CAN!

FORWARD!

Easy 6 08-04-2013 01:24 AM

Oh by the way, wanna know what those two masters degree holders specialized in, they're a married couple if i hadnt mentioned that already... special needs kids, their lifes work.

One was laid off outright for lack of funds, the other was forced into serving you your hotwings... YES WE CAN AMERICA!

bevischief 08-04-2013 01:49 AM

What jobs have you been applying for?

Discuss Thrower 08-04-2013 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9857150)
What jobs have you been applying for?

So far insurance agent, associate underwriter with two different insurance agencies, a CD clerk with a bank, part time Jos A Bank suit seller, ESPN statistics guy, and regional underwriter.

The first two underwriting jobs gave me "sorry, no dice" emails last week and three weeks ago, never heard back from the suit shop, no word from ESPN or the bank and a family friend talked to HR for the regional underwriting job.

58-4ever 08-04-2013 06:18 AM

I work for an IT consulting firm. Believe the people that tell you that there is a SEVERE lack of developers out there. I think Centriq has a 6 month track. I'm not sure about the quality though...

bevischief 08-04-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9857167)
So far insurance agent, associate underwriter with two different insurance agencies, a CD clerk with a bank, part time Jos A Bank suit seller, ESPN statistics guy, and regional underwriter.

The first two underwriting jobs gave me "sorry, no dice" emails last week and three weeks ago, never heard back from the suit shop, no word from ESPN or the bank and a family friend talked to HR for the regional underwriting job.

Where do you have resume posted online?