ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Restaurant bans tipping. Guess what happened? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275346)

jd1020 08-15-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 9887691)
How do they correlate that the increased revenue was due to no tipping policy?

Probably because they take a slice of that pie for themselves instead of the waiter pocketing the tip if its paid in cash.

BigMeatballDave 08-15-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9887687)
So the customer can do nothing when they get shitty service?

They can choose not to return.

kstater 08-15-2013 03:15 PM

One could argue that because they had to shut their business down and are attempting a different store 8 hours away that the business plan was a failure.

Fish 08-15-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 9887669)
I agree with the approach this guy is taking, but wish he would actually factor the tips into his prices instead of mandatory tip, which is kinda what he did.

What difference would it make? Currently, it's a percentage of the total bill at the discretion of the customer. Now it's a fixed percentage of the total bill every time. It's simply shifting the responsibility of of the same amount a customer would (hopefully) be tipping, to the store. As long as the employer isn't a dick and pays an actual fair amount everybody wins. That's the way every other business is run. If the employer abuses it, they won't have employees any longer.

kstater 08-15-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9887697)
What difference would it make? Currently, it's a percentage of the total bill at the discretion of the customer. Now it's a fixed percentage of the total bill every time. It's simply shifting the responsibility of of the same amount a customer would (hopefully) be tipping, to the store. As long as the employer isn't a dick and pays an actual fair amount everybody wins. That's the way every other business is run. If the employer abuses it, they won't have employees any longer.

Or a business(see closing the store down)

Tombstone RJ 08-15-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9887644)
After I banned tipping at my restaurant, the service got better and we made more money
[*]Furthermore, servers in tipping environments learn to profile guests (pdf), and attend mainly to those who fit the stereotypes of good tippers. This may increase the server’s earnings, while creating negative experiences for the many restaurant customers who are women, ethnic minorities, elderly or from foreign countries..

So, the only people who consistently tip well are 'merican caucasian males ages 18-60?

Why do the libtards hate us so?

DaFace 08-15-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9887663)
I'm not sure how that's banning tipping. Seems to me it's a way for the company to get a cut of the tips.

While true, it would be tough to present it that way. Why would anyone go there instead of to a competitor if all of their "prices were so much higher"?

If the entire world transitioned away from tipping, then I agree - build it into the price. For now, I understand why they handled it like they did.

007 08-15-2013 03:22 PM

always drives me nuts when I see another table get preferential treatment because they are known big tippers while another table gets practically ignored even though they tip 18-20%.

I'm sick of tip snobs.

Pepe Silvia 08-15-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9887668)

First thing that popped in my head.

Fish 08-15-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9887713)
While true, it would be tough to present it that way. Why would anyone go there instead of to a competitor if all of their "prices were so much higher"?

If the entire world transitioned away from tipping, then I agree - build it into the price. For now, I understand why they handled it like they did.

People anticipate tipping already. Or at least should.

They could go to Restaurant A and expect to pay $8 + $2 tip.

They could go to Restaurant B and expect to pay $10.

Both situations, the waiter ideally should receive the same.

Tombstone RJ 08-15-2013 03:24 PM

hey black waitress lady gal, you KNOW where da $$ at, right over here!!!!!!!!!!

Iowanian 08-15-2013 03:25 PM

It doesn't sound like banned tipping...it sounds like mandatory tipping.

It's like a table of 10 or more. When you automatically charge me 18%, it costs the other 6% I may have tipped on the group.

Radar Chief 08-15-2013 03:26 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V1ZZWhSvOMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just Passin' By 08-15-2013 03:29 PM

As one who's worked in the industry briefly, I'll just note that my experience was that there was a clear connection between quality, friendly service and larger tips, as well as a bit of a sales increase.

Frosty 08-15-2013 03:33 PM

This thread would be to 500 posts already if Hootie were still here.