ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: In the end, Jackson, DeVito do the dirty work for Chiefs’ defense (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278134)

ToxSocks 10-31-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10143617)
You are only looking at it from one side of the picture though.

Its no coincidence at all that Dorsey and Jackson are having the best seasons of their careers.

And the reason is simple. They were attacking d linemen in College, that were on attack mode every single play, and when they played in Kansas City, they were told to hold their blocks, and stop the run.

That was their job. Its phenomenal, what a difference it makes for players when their coaches put them in a position to succeed.

You have two defensive linemen that in college did nothing but attack, in Tyson, and Poe, and one who knows the role he is placed in. He plays in the Justin Smith elephant end spot. His job much like justins is to free up Hali to have one on one blocking like Justin Smith did for Aldon Smith.

Some times, way to much is placed on the PLAYER, and not paid attention to the situation he is being put into.

Was Tyson Jackson picked too high? Well yeah, if your entire idea for him was to be a run stopper.

That would be like Cleveland selecting Barkevious Mingo this year to be a tight end covering LB.

Its a waste.

Dude.....

You didn't even watch Tyson Jackson his first few years.

Poe and Jackson weren't even close to the same kind of player their rookie years. Poe looked promising, we were singing his praises LAST season.

Jackson was routinely getting blown off the LoS...sometimes by several yards. Jackson got the bust label because...well....he looked like a ****ing bust, scheme had nothing to do with his shitty play.

And Poe was "attacking" in college? The ****?

Mav 10-31-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10143624)
Dude.....

You didn't even watch Tyson Jackson his first few years.

Poe and Jackson weren't even close to the same kind of player their rookie years. Poe looked promising, we were singing his praises LAST season.

Jackson was routinely getting blown off the LoS...sometimes by several yards. Jackson got the bust label because...well....he looked like a ****ing bust, scheme had nothing to do with his shitty play.

And Poe was "attacking" in college? The ****?

How much of Poe did you see in college?

He was constantly told to go get the passer. That was his job. He wasn't seen in college as a 3-4 nose. He was seen as a 4-3 1 technique.

He was compared to Warren Sapp for christs sake.

His ability as a nose tackle is just because he is special. He is Vince Wilfork when used correctly.

Tyson Jackson was never asked to be a run stuffer in college. He also didn't play the 5 technique in a 3-4 in college. He was much like Dorsey, a dt in the 4-3 where his job was to rush the passer.

He is playing more to that now. Not just looking to stop the run.

No matter how you look at it, he was overdrafted. Im not arguing that.

But, drafting a guy that high, and asking him to do something he was never asked to do, is asking for trouble.

period.

ToxSocks 10-31-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10143684)
How much of Poe did you see in college?

He was constantly told to go get the passer. That was his job. He wasn't seen in college as a 3-4 nose. He was seen as a 4-3 1 technique.

He was compared to Warren Sapp for christs sake.

His ability as a nose tackle is just because he is special. He is Vince Wilfork when used correctly.

Tyson Jackson was never asked to be a run stuffer in college. He also didn't play the 5 technique in a 3-4 in college. He was much like Dorsey, a dt in the 4-3 where his job was to rush the passer.

He is playing more to that now. Not just looking to stop the run.

No matter how you look at it, he was overdrafted. Im not arguing that.

But, drafting a guy that high, and asking him to do something he was never asked to do, is asking for trouble.

period.

Really? You were watching C-USA football back when Poe was in College? Excuse me if i don't accept you as some Poe expert, it's a little hard to believe. The knock on Poe was that he was one of the least productive college players in recent draft memory and Crennel chalked that up to the variety of schemes and assignments he was expected to play in.

I don't care what scheme Jackson was accustomed to playing in, the guy was manhandled and looked bad. Period. End of story.

43 or 34, doesn't matter. If you're getting your ass blown off the line of scrimmage and being run on and unable to hold your ground 1v1, no scheme is going to change that.

You've been a Chiefs fan for 8 games. Please don't come in here and tell me about how players were playing 3-4 years ago.

ILChief 11-01-2013 07:07 AM

We are gonna have to sign Tyson Jackson to a long term deal.

I can't believe I just typed that

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 10143326)
It sure makes a person wonder how long this defense has been hidden.

I think they were trending this way until last season.

They were solid before adding Houston and Poe. They were trending upwards and then 2012 happened and that was the least creative team I've ever seen. Both sides of the ball were incredibly vanilla and easy to beat up on. No deception. No theatrics... just playing straight up and getting their asses kicked the whole time. We were playing checkers against chess. Taking a knife to a gunfight. Romeo really is the worst HC I've ever seen in KC. There really is no reason the team should have been that bad.

I don't think they could have been THIS good until THIS season though.

suzzer99 11-01-2013 07:16 AM

For those of you saying Jackson was picked too high, who should Pioli have picked?

ILChief 11-01-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10146220)
For those of you saying Jackson was picked too high, who should Pioli have picked?

QB of course /CP

raybec 4 11-01-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Raji, Orakpo, Cushing,

chiefsfan4life1978 11-01-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Exactly! The only players I think you could argue that he could/should have drafted instead would be Raji or Orakpo. Clay Matthews wasn't going to go that high. It really is turning out to be an ok pick.

suzzer99 11-01-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 10146277)
Raji, Orakpo, Cushing,

I'd say out of the choice of those 3 + Jackson versus the rest of the dreck in that draft – I'm okay with Jackson.

Did Pioli make the best pick possible? Probably not. Did he make one of the top two or three picks he could've made and avoid disaster? Yes.

ILChief 11-01-2013 08:12 AM

Cushing is the Moeaki of linebackers. If we took raji, probably no Poe. If we took orakpo, maybe no Houston

ILChief 11-01-2013 08:19 AM

Not to mention raji has gotten worse each year

Strongside 11-01-2013 08:24 AM

Really hoping that Jackson stays here. He and DeVito are a major reason that our Linebackers and Safeties, as well as the pass rushers, are able to make so many plays.

mdchiefsfan 11-01-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 10146295)
Cushing is the Moeaki of linebackers. If we took raji, probably no Poe. If we took orakpo, maybe no Houston

Orakpo has been dealing with quite a few injuries recently too. I'm good with Houston.

themanwithnoname 11-01-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 10146295)

By that logic maybe we would've ended up with Luck, RGIII, Kaepernick, or Wilson, or Jimmy Graham, and blah blah blah.

Tyson was not a great pick. Even with how he's playing he's not worth his salary, but oh well. He's turning into an asset so if they can sign him for fair value and he keeps from regressing then great.

Its a give and take without our excellent LBs, and good secondary, Jackson would be meaningless. Those guys would still make plays even if Jackson sucked (as evidenced by the fact they literally ****ing did that when Jackson did suck).