ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Question for the car guys (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278792)

Gonzo 11-21-2013 08:53 AM

It does sound like you've got something draining the juice while she sits.

Can you get me the year and make of the vehicle? I may be able to tell you the most likely suspect.

Buehler445 11-21-2013 09:52 AM

How old is the pickup?

How old is the battery? If the battery is over 4 years old I'd replace it anyway. If you want it for winter, you need it to crank hard.

Probably a power drain somewhere. If there is an aftermarket radio, it could potentially be hooked to constant power instead of keyed power. Some of the mid 90s Chevy's had a light under the hood come on when you opened the hood, that or the glovebox could be the problem. If not, I'd check the fuses like hometeam said.

tooge 11-21-2013 10:00 AM

its something with the wiring. what you got, 320, 321?

Dayze 11-21-2013 10:03 AM

whatever it takes

HemiEd 11-21-2013 10:15 AM

The test light suggestion is great, as well as the meter to find the problem.

Also, a real quick indicator on an older vehicle, if you touch the battery cable to the battery post with every thing turned off, you shouldn't get a spark. If you do, something is pulling juice.

RockChalk 11-21-2013 11:47 AM

Don't want to create a separate thread, so I'm piggybacking off of this one...

Is it very difficult to change brake pads? I need to replace mine and was thinking of doing it myself. Any specific "fancy" tools I would need? Or is it a fairly simple process?

I have a Honda Ridgeline, so you experts know what you're working with

Dayze 11-21-2013 11:49 AM

Simple. It took me longer to jack up my car and take the wheels off than it did to actually replace the pads.

BigRichard 11-21-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 10208992)
It does sound like you've got something draining the juice while she sits.

Can you get me the year and make of the vehicle? I may be able to tell you the most likely suspect.

It's a 92 GMC 1500. It does have an after market stereo so I was gonna start there. Then I was gonna maybe look at the wiring for the hitch.

SAUTO 11-21-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 10209410)
It's a 92 GMC 1500. It does have an after market stereo so I was gonna start there. Then I was gonna maybe look at the wiring for the hitch.

check the radio, glove box light (the switch like to fall out of its holder on those things) and the underhood light.

the trailer wiring shouldn't be it unless its wired for a powered trailer. like an rv. something that needs power

trailer lights only work if the vehicle lights are being used.

jerryforeverrice80 11-21-2013 12:01 PM

get a test light and go to town on the thing.

also check the battery terminals.

if all else fails grab a BFH(big ****ing hammer)

Radar Chief 11-21-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 10209389)
Don't want to create a separate thread, so I'm piggybacking off of this one...

Is it very difficult to change brake pads? I need to replace mine and was thinking of doing it myself. Any specific "fancy" tools I would need? Or is it a fairly simple process?

I have a Honda Ridgeline, so you experts know what you're working with

Discs all around I assume? Super simple, you can find directions specific to your vehicle on the internet, hell there’s probably video instructions YouTube.
To do the job right though you need to also remove the discs and have them “turned” by your local O’Reilly, Auto Zone or whatever parts house will turn brakes. That’s because you don’t want to put fresh pads on grooved up discs, your pads won’t last nearly as long and you’ll be doing this again wishing you had done it right the first time.

SAUTO 11-21-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10209762)
Discs all around I assume? Super simple, you can find directions specific to your vehicle on the internet, hell there’s probably video instructions YouTube.
To do the job right though you need to also remove the discs and have them “turned” by your local O’Reilly, Auto Zone or whatever parts house will turn brakes. That’s because you don’t want to put fresh pads on grooved up discs, your pads won’t last nearly as long and you’ll be doing this again wishing you had done it right the first time.

and those ****ers will squeak forever if the rotors aren't turned

Gonzo 11-21-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 10209410)

Yep, check under the good for the stereo wire and a fused-link. Check with a multi-meter or a sensitive test light.

If that's good, start checking the fuse box, (after checking all the lights and switches).

Dayze 11-21-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10209764)
and those ****ers will squeak forever if the rotors aren't turned

This. I know first hand unfortunately.

ToxSocks 11-21-2013 03:45 PM

How long did the truck sit around with out being started? If it was several months, it's not uncommon for batteries to go flat. We use a CTEK charger unit if a car has to sit around the shop for awhile. Check out the CTEK MULTI US 7000.