ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Coin - Credit Card Consolidation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278824)

lewdog 11-22-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10212113)
Who uses a ****ing debit card? Morons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10212237)
:spock:

Not me. Sure fire way to give someone direct access to your money. I've never used a debit card a day in my life.

Steal my credit card and see if I care. I'll dispute the charges and my card carrier will issue me a new card/number. Easy.

Not to mention I earn hundred of dollars in rewards every year just from charging everything. And yes, I pay my card off in full every month.

Pitt Gorilla 11-22-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10212850)
Not me. Sure fire way to give someone direct access to your money. I've never used a debit card a day in my life.

Steal my credit card and see if I care. I'll dispute the charges and my card carrier will issue me a new card/number. Easy.

Not to mention I earn hundred of dollars in rewards every year just from charging everything. And yes, I pay my card off in full every month.

This. I'll never understand why anyone would listen to a clown like Dave Ramsey who tells you not to use credit cards. Credit cards provide us with hundreds of dollars a year in free money, not to mention the whole time value of money argument. Best of all, they cost me absolutely nothing, as I pay them off monthly.

Rain Man 11-23-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10210697)
The only thing that turns me off about it is that they approximate battery life at two years, and once the battery dies, you have to replace it.

$50 a year to rid my wallet of 6-8 cards?

Probably not gonna happen, but like the idea.

$50 a year? Yikes.

I started out skeptical, and then thought it was cool when I saw the little button that switched cards. But as I thought more, I realize that I'm all about risk control on money stuff. If you lose that thing or the battery dies, you're completely screwed. If I carry three cards, the odds are that one of them will work and get me home if I suddenly find myself in the Yukon.

Kidd Lex 11-23-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10212937)
This. I'll never understand why anyone would listen to a clown like Dave Ramsey who tells you not to use credit cards. Credit cards provide us with hundreds of dollars a year in free money, not to mention the whole time value of money argument. Best of all, they cost me absolutely nothing, as I pay them off monthly.

Here's the catch. Think of society having alcohol dependency, sure some can responsibly drink a beer or two and quit, but others are playing with fire and risk binge drinking and becoming alcoholics. That's what DR brings to the table, he is saying remove the temptation from the equation.

I too have ZERO bad debt (outside of my 3.125% mortgage) and use credit cards for everything and pay it all off to zero every month, but, and it's a big one, I would bet id spend less if I stuck to a DR like program, and I wouldn't have that risk of spiraling debt out of control right around the corner.

I make plenty of money to outrun any financial issues now, but I know that with less dependency on credit cards I'd spend significantly less. Cash is much harder to part with and brings spending to reality. Budgeting adds another level of safety and financial security.

lewdog 11-23-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 10213000)
Here's the catch. Think of society having alcohol dependency, sure some can responsibly drink a beer or two and quit, but others are playing with fire and risk binge drinking and becoming alcoholics. That's what DR brings to the table, he is saying remove the temptation from the equation.

I too have ZERO bad debt (outside of my 3.125% mortgage) and use credit cards for everything and pay it all off to zero every month, but, and it's a big one, I would bet id spend less if I stuck to a DR like program, and I wouldn't have that risk of spiraling debt out of control right around the corner.

I make plenty of money to outrun any financial issues now, but I know that with less dependency on credit cards I'd spend significantly less. Cash is much harder to part with and brings spending to reality. Budgeting adds another level of safety and financial security.

I do agree with that as well and I should clarify. Every dime we spend or charge, gets put into a spreadsheet so I know exactly what our monthly expense/income ratio is along with knowing exactly what we are spending our money on. And because I know I have to enter that money I charge into a spreadsheet, that's my check against just charging and not knowing what I am spending.

If I didn't do that, I could definitely see myself spending more with my credit card than cash alone. But if you learn to treat the credit card like a debit card, you are getting free money from those greedy banks. I even got the smoker I use as a reward from one of my credit cards.

OnTheWarpath15 11-23-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10211416)
someone on here bought a nice small card-type wallet with a small money clip for like $12 on Amazon. I ordered it after his review, and love it. carries some cash (when my wife doesn't steal it) and probably 4 cards. perfecto.

but, that's a cool idea though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10211723)
I have the same thing and I ****ing love it.

I received one of these as a gift 4 years ago and love it. Don't need the clip because I rarely if ever carry cash.

http://bowtiesandboatshoes.files.wor...-card-case.jpg