ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Prayer Request My New Years Resolution - I'm going to quit smoking (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279920)

Bump 12-24-2013 01:50 PM

Im on about 2 weeks without a cig. I chew 1 or 2 pieces of nicotine gum per day still though.

A little motivator for me was that I read a study that hangovers aren't nearly as bad for non smokers. I had a few drinks last night and don't feel like death, so I can confirm :)

but good luck! It's not that easy, your brain tries to make up little excuses to go buy a pack of cigarettes and you will find so many little things have become routine with a smoke.

Mr. Plow 12-24-2013 02:30 PM

I chewed for the better part of 20 years.....**** I'm old.....tried to quit so many times before. Never would take. Then on Oct. 2nd this year I quit - used Chantix. Haven't had a chew in 84 days.

You want to know to quit? You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. I know that sounds really ****ing stupid, but I did nothing different this time that I haven't done countless times before and failed with. What made me finally say "Enough" was my 15 year old & my 8 year old telling me "Dad, we want you to quit".

That was enough for me.

Katipan 12-24-2013 02:40 PM

An extra $1500+ a year buys a lot of hookers. Or just one really good one.

BlackHelicopters 12-24-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 10309198)

And some blow.

ThaVirus 12-24-2013 02:54 PM

People still smoke cigarettes?

Oh.

The Franchise 12-24-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10309186)
I chewed for the better part of 20 years.....**** I'm old.....tried to quit so many times before. Never would take. Then on Oct. 2nd this year I quit - used Chantix. Haven't had a chew in 84 days.

You want to know to quit? You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. I know that sounds really ****ing stupid, but I did nothing different this time that I haven't done countless times before and failed with. What made me finally say "Enough" was my 15 year old & my 8 year old telling me "Dad, we want you to quit".

That was enough for me.

That's all you need to know. The patch and medicine will help....but if you don't want to quit....you won't.

Pants 12-24-2013 03:03 PM

I, too, quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. No patches, no e-cigs, nothing.

My biggest downfall in my previous attempts was always the same thought I'm sure everyone has: "I'm just going to smoke one more and it will be my last one and then I'm done for good."

You just have to look at it objectively and tell yourself the truth - that last cigarette ever is not going to change anything. You're still going to want to smoke when you're done with it, so what's the point of even smoking that "last cigarette"?

Your mind is going to give you a thousand different reasons why smoking another cigarette is a good idea. You're going to find a thousand excuses for why it would be OK to smoke one more. Just man up and say no to yourself.
After a couple of months, you're going to look back and wonder how the **** it was even possible for you to smoke that much and think it was OK.

Psyko Tek 12-24-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 10309198)

and you know the price range because?

Katipan 12-24-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 10309283)
and you know the price range because?

Oh I buy hookers as stocking stuffers. Plus hogfarmer can get them for $50 an hour with no drama.

Rausch 12-24-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10309004)
I don't want to do the e-vape thing. But quitting cold turkey scares me a little.

Any advice for me?

Find an evape you like and do that until you feel like you don't need it...

bogey 12-24-2013 03:45 PM

I quit April 9th after 40 or so years of smoking. I've tried pretty much every stop quitting thing there is. Cold turkey worked for me this time. You definitely need to want to quit more than you want to smoke. My 15 year old told me if I didn't quit, she was going to start. That was enough motivation for me. A radio host named Dr. Dean Edell said it takes the average smoker somewhere around 10 tries before they actually quit. All you have to do is don't buy them and don't bum them. And your right, they do stink. I'll bet your car, cloths and breath reek right now.

Rausch 12-24-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 10309303)
You definitely need to want to quit more than you want to smoke. My 15 year old told me if I didn't quit, she was going to start.

Good luck with the big sex talk...

saphojunkie 12-24-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10309057)

Easy for you to say it isn't hard. Feel free to go **** yourself.

Of course it is. I quit at 33 after smoking since I was 14. After I **** myself, I won't be having a cigarette.

Because quitting was easy, once I wanted to.

bogey 12-24-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10309307)
Good luck with the big sex talk...

Ha. She's pretty up to date on that. I don't think she's had sex yet, but she's very responsible. I've pretty much done all I can do at this point.

DonInDenver 12-24-2013 05:13 PM

No resolutions for me, just try to survive another year.