ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ABS: Fighting in sports other than hockey (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281042)

greatgooglymoogly 01-28-2014 05:24 PM

I thought the Palace brawl was hilarious. Some drunk dumbass splooshes a beer in Ron Artest's face. Artest ran up the stands and tried to beat up some random guy. ROFL

POND_OF_RED 01-28-2014 05:29 PM

It's gonna be hard to get sports to allow fighting with all this CTE research. Sports have enough entertainment value on their own. I understand needing it in hockey though...

GloucesterChief 01-28-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10399025)
If NBA players actually connected instead of throwing those awkward slappy punches, people would be dying or getting faces like Rudy Tomjonavich.

Hah. I actually met Kermit Washington when he came to a business I worked at. Really tall but a nice guy. Kinda quiet.

Bearcat 01-28-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10399147)
Hm, never thought of it that way.

I should have a Twitter.

listopencil 01-28-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10399143)
For those who voted no: why?

It usually interrupts the flow of the game.

KC_Connection 01-28-2014 09:33 PM

I don't think it should even be allowed in hockey. Why allow it in other sports?

Brock 01-28-2014 09:37 PM

I have to say I like seeing a brawl in any sport. I never have really grasped the rationale for hockey's seeming encouragement of it, though.

ClevelandBronco 01-28-2014 09:40 PM

As long as it's limited to the guys who are on the field, I'm all for it.

pr_capone 01-28-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10399640)
I have to say I like seeing a brawl in any sport. I never have really grasped the rationale for hockey's seeming encouragement of it, though.

I can't speak to the encouragement aspect of it but I completely understand why it is part of the game. The "goons" are out there to protect the offensive stars of the team. Having an enforcer on the team discourages overly aggressive actions towards those star players as the goon will retaliate in defense of his players. Especially the goalie.

If the players didn't regulate themselves... there would likely be several rule changes in the game, decreasing how physically the game is played, put in place in order to protect those star players. Exactly what the NFL has done.

Lonewolf Ed 01-28-2014 10:58 PM

There needs to be realtime online betting on the fights, then. Ten quatloos on the newcomer!

Bearcat 01-28-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 10399763)
I can't speak to the encouragement aspect of it but I completely understand why it is part of the game. The "goons" are out there to protect the offensive stars of the team. Having an enforcer on the team discourages overly aggressive actions towards those star players as the goon will retaliate in defense of his players. Especially the goalie.

If the players didn't regulate themselves... there would likely be several rule changes in the game, decreasing how physically the game is played, put in place in order to protect those star players. Exactly what the NFL has done.

The flip side to that is there's no fighting in college hockey (which can be pretty physical) or internationally (where there's not as much hitting, partly due to the bigger ice surface).

It does have a purpose in the NHL, like you said, and unlike other leagues, it's simply become part of the game so it won't be going away any time soon. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's encouraged though. For the most part, the rules around fighting are pretty strictly enforced, and if anything, the pure fighter/goon type of player is a dying breed, since they're more of a liability these days and since the NHL has been cracking down (well, trying to) on illegal/dangerous hits.

Psyko Tek 01-28-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10398850)
I want to see wrestling added to the lingerie league.

jello or mud?

Psyko Tek 01-28-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10398854)
Baseball needs to go one way or the other... either let the batter and pitcher battle it out alone or ban it, and either way, suspend anyone who leaves the bench.

Bench clearing disagreements are the worst.

jello or mud?

Just Passin' By 01-28-2014 11:26 PM

Hockey fights are great. Bench clearing brawls used to be great when players were out there for more than just show. Basketball fights are two big guys who can't fight looking like two big guys who can't fight.

Football doesn't have the sort of players' code that hockey does, so football fights would be incredibly dangerous, and probably even deadly. That being said, I'm all for a Cowboys versus Broncos brawlathon.

Psyko Tek 01-28-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10399025)
If NBA players actually connected instead of throwing those awkward slappy punches, people would be dying or getting faces like Rudy Tomjonavich.

nba fights are hold me back bitch fights

and yes evidently I have reached my drinking tolerance for saying what ever the **** I want

I will hit DC soon and spread my drunken logic
suppose I should watch the state of the onion first