ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Patriots Four Rule Proposals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282409)

CaliforniaChief 03-19-2014 04:04 PM

The extra camera thing is probably just a way for them to get rid of all those extra cameras they have been using all these years.

Amnorix 03-19-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10502573)
#4 would extend games by an hour, no thanks.

No, SAME NUMBER of challenges is the key. Right now there are all kinds of arbitrary rules on what is and isn't challenge-able.

They're NOT saying "challenge anything at will", they're saying use the challenges they ALREADY have on ANYTHING, rather than having a bunch of stuff off-limits.

Dayze 03-19-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10502561)
Certainly better than anything Carl Peterson ever dreamed up of asking for.

proposed 24 team play off.

Amnorix 03-19-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10502575)
The extra camera thing is probably just a way for them to get rid of all those extra cameras they have been using all these years.

No, it's an angle thing. BB has talked about it. In some games, because there is no camera along the sidelines, it's very hard to determine if the guy was out of bounds, because the angle affects it. Same for goal line stuff. Some games you have that great goal line angle. Other times you don't, and it makes replay review almost worthless.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10502568)
The first three should be no brainers. The fourth will face competition.

Number 2 would be a giant change in how the game is played. I don't see them doing that without years of debate. Everything else is procedural to see if the game is played within the rules.

I would like to point out that if the 1st rule was in effect when the pats lost to the ravens that that point wouldn't have been good because it would have bounced off the upright rather than being good going over it. Seems like putting cameras or even lasers on the top of that would cure that problem.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10502566)
Wouldn't the refs raise all hell on proposal #4?

I agree with #1 wholeheartedly though.

They shouldn't. If they get the call right in the first place it's something that doesn't have any impact on the game.

hometeam 03-19-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10502573)
#4 would extend games by an hour, no thanks.

No it wont, coaches will get the same 2 challenges. Hell, if anything there will be less time spent discussing with the officials whats reviewable and whats not~

BlackHelicopters 03-19-2014 04:10 PM

Got no problem with any of the four.

Mr. Laz 03-19-2014 04:13 PM

#5 Centralize Replay reviews - so that each is made by a person that didn't make the original call. Human nature to not want to admit mistakes. Make a central league review location with access to all cameras for each game. Head league official is there with others to approve all review calls. No more rule mistakes.

hometeam 03-19-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10502574)
But why? It's not a play. There is literally nothing the defense can do to affect it in any way, no matter how good they are or what strategy they use. There isn't a more boring play in all of sports. It's not remotely competitive, and sports is a competition.

It's basically like having free throws from RIGHT in front of the basket. Want to dunk it? Sure, go ahead. Lay it up? Ok. What the heck is the point of that?

I just feel like it IS a play, guys DO miss from time to time, the defense CAN do something to stop them. Sure its very, extremely rare. But, its always been like this, and is the reason why you count on 7 when you score. I feel like its messing with a core game component that has determined scores/records/margins of victory for so long.

When you move it back, it means 2 field goals are even closer to a TD in value, and I don't like that.

Amnorix 03-19-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10502597)
I just feel like it IS a play, guys DO miss from time to time, the defense CAN do something to stop them. Sure its very, extremely rare. But, its always been like this, and is the reason why you count on 7 when you score. I feel like its messing with a core game component that has determined scores/records/margins of victory for so long.

When you move it back, it means 2 field goals are even closer to a TD in value, and I don't like that.

99.6% success rate. Don't think any other "play" in sports has such a success rate. Would be shocked if the 0.4% failures are anything other than bad snaps, bad holds, or kickers somehow shanking it that bad, and NOT anything the defense did or didn't do.

In all seriousness, I'd rather they just get rid of the PAT than keep it as is. Award 7 points and give the option to "go for 2", which means you end up with either 6 or 8 points. The X minutes per game it would save would be better than wasting time on it...

It's just NOT a competitive play. Sports are about competition, and what it is now is a waste of time.

Strongside 03-19-2014 04:19 PM

Of course the Patriots want to pass a rule allowing more cameras.

Mojo Jojo 03-19-2014 04:21 PM

I'm good with all four.

patteeu 03-19-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10502542)
1. Goal posts extended an additional 5 feet above the cross bar.

2. Make the extra point more challenging by making the line of scrimmage the 25-yard line.

3. Place fixed cameras on all boundary lines

4. Coaches can challenge any officials' decision other than scoring plays.

1. I don't have a problem with it, but with an official standing under each upright, I don't see why it's necessary. They should be able to make the call every time even when the ball is higher than the upright.

2. I'd rather see them narrow the uprights to impact both extra points and field goals, but otherwise I'm OK with it.

3. Sounds good.

4. I'm against replay on judgment calls unless the guy making the replay call is the same official who made the judgment call in the first place. I like limiting replay to objective rulings with clear evidence required to overturn. If there are any objective calls that aren't currently reviewable, I'd agree with making them reviewable.

Bowser 03-19-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10502578)
proposed 24 team play off.

No Team Left Behind

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10502583)
Number 2 would be a giant change in how the game is played. I don't see them doing that without years of debate. Everything else is procedural to see if the game is played within the rules.

I would like to point out that if the 1st rule was in effect when the pats lost to the ravens that that point wouldn't have been good because it would have bounced off the upright rather than being good going over it. Seems like putting cameras or even lasers on the top of that would cure that problem.

I bet that change comes sooner rather than later. And I would imagine they would rather have the longer point after tries rather than just doing away with the play. I like the laser idea.