ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life June 6th, 1944. These men had balls of steel. 70th anniversary. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283950)

PhillyChiefFan 05-29-2014 09:14 AM

Looking at those pictures amazes me. How many of those guys walked off the beach after landing? What were they thinking when they were taken? How the HELL did they accomplish their mission? It blows my mind to think of what occured on Omaha beach and against that force...they succeeded. Amazing.

Dayze 05-29-2014 09:51 AM

i 'think' there is a big cemetary in France simply for the Americans who died there.
I might be mistaken though.

Donger 05-29-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10657548)
i 'think' there is a big cemetary in France simply for the Americans who died there.
I might be mistaken though.

Yes, there is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normand...y_and_Memorial

Halfcan 05-29-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10656978)
He was 96 when we moved in next door. He walked doubled over at the hip because of his advanced scoliosis. Could move at about the length of half of his foot with each painful step.

We have those big trashcans on wheels to put out trash twice a week. The first week we were there I saw him moving that trashcan out to the curb. I thought WTF and went out to move the trashcan for him.

When I got out there and offered to help take the trash out to the curb, he refused. He looked up at me, smiled and said I ain't dead yet. I thought okay crazy man(I knew nothing about his background at the time) knock yourself out.

I came home to find out he takes the empty trashcans from the curbs back to the house for all 4 of his direct neighbors. Been doing it for years. Refuses to stop now.

After we got to know each other, learned of his background I asked him to please stop and let me take out the trash for him. He said thats okay I've been doing this for 50 years, I can still do it. I said at least let me bring my trashcan back to the house from the curb. He did that look up again smiled and said I may be old but I still remember my military training, the trashcans are mine. And starts cracking up. It's the last time I saw him laugh.

I wish we would have got to know one another a little better.

His wife is an amazing person too but she is not doing very good since he died. She will be going into a senior citizen condo soon.:(

:thumb: Great story. Makes me miss my Grandpa!

Trivers 05-29-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10657142)
over-rated

seriously? Or sarcasm?

confused 05-29-2014 02:42 PM

Hitler wanted a little war. His main intention was to cement the German-Austria relationship. To automatically assume that Hitler was this anti-Semitic madman is to immediately concede to textbooks which don't always paint a pretty picture when it comes to foreign relations.

Donger 05-29-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10658326)
Hitler wanted a little war. His main intention was to cement the German-Austria relationship. To automatically assume that Hitler was this anti-Semitic madman is to immediately concede to textbooks which don't always paint a pretty picture when it comes to foreign relations.

:spock:

confused 05-29-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10658333)
:spock:

Ahem? More people died in Ted Kennedy's back seat than in the alleged homicidal gas chambers.

Dayze 05-29-2014 03:24 PM

what about him classifying that anyone who didn't have at least 3 fullly white grandparents as Mongrols?

he absolutely was anti-semetic. he was testing the people with his views for years before the war so they could 'warm up' to the idea so down the line, he could wipe them out and the Pro-Nazi's wouldn't be apalled.

Dayze 05-29-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10658406)
Ahem? More people died in Ted Kennedy's back seat than in the alleged homicidal gas chambers.

surely you're trolling

Demonpenz 05-29-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 10658310)
seriously? Or sarcasm?

as others has stated it was a different time, basically they needed to do this to eat. Now we have aids and terrorists to deal with.

Amnorix 05-29-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10658406)

I could post picture proof, and quotes from Eisenhower and others, but this thread is about honoring the brave men who did what they had to do all those years ago so I won't.

You're either a troll or a complete d-bag. Either way, **** off.

confused 05-29-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10658420)
I could post picture proof, and quotes from Eisenhower and others, but this thread is about honoring the brave men who did what they had to do all those years ago so I won't.

You're either a troll or a complete d-bag. Either way, **** off.

You could post picture proof of what? Typhus victims? Delousing chambers? Jews being held as prisoners of war? Absolutely you could, and I wouldn't deny any of that. The fallacy is that pictures of dead bodies somehow equals Jews getting gassed.

alpha_omega 05-29-2014 03:39 PM

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._stars.svg.png

teedubya 05-29-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused (Post 10658429)
You could post picture proof of what? Typhus victims? Delousing chambers? Jews being held as prisoners of war? Absolutely you could, and I wouldn't deny any of that. The fallacy is that pictures of dead bodies somehow equals Jews getting gassed.

Do this on another thread, troll. This is for honoring the bravery of the men who stormed the beaches of Normandy. Not theories. Take that shit elsewhere or you'll get banned from seeing this thread.