ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith: I don't think anyone is going to be too hard headed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285069)

O.city 07-18-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10752789)
I'd say he wouldn't have as many comeback wins if he played better earlier, but it's also a team game. An unreliable defense and not great team around him (weak OL, weak running game) contribute to the need for all those comebacks, too.

I don't think Romo is a superstar by any means, and he definitely has flaws. But to suggest Alex Smith is on a level that Romo doesn't "come near" as Randy Covitz did is just incredibly lazy, misinformed and stupid.

Sure.

But that works both ways. When the team around you is good, you probably don't have to try and gunsling like Romo does.

Iirc, smith had 6 comeback wins in the his last year as 9ers starter, with a much better team around him.

So I don't think it's necessarily fair to use the team argument for 1 and not the other, in these types of discussions.

O.city 07-18-2014 10:13 AM

But again, its what makes these discussions so tough.

A QB guru like Andy Reid apparently is, constantly pushes and wants Smith to be more aggressive, where Harbaugh was the opposite with his philosophy.

I think a good part o success depends on the player, but I think system and philosophy as well as the players match to that is becoming more and more important.

duncan_idaho 07-18-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10752801)
Sure.

But that works both ways. When the team around you is good, you probably don't have to try and gunsling like Romo does.

Iirc, smith had 6 comeback wins in the his last year as 9ers starter, with a much better team around him.

So I don't think it's necessarily fair to use the team argument for 1 and not the other, in these types of discussions.

Yeah, I agree that you can apply some chicken and egg to any QB when it comes to 4th quarter stuff. And that Romo has helped dig some of the holes he had to dig out of.

Mr. Laz 07-18-2014 10:39 AM

The only reason it's either/or is because the Chiefs are cheap

TEX 07-18-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10752705)
Nothing like a good Alex Smith topic to bring out the snark.

This is common perception of Tony Romo, but it isn't factual. Romo has 11 4th quarter comebacks in the past three years and completes nearly 70 percent of his passes with a passer rating well over 100 in the 4th quarter.

Yep, you beat me to it. Deal is Romo's tendency to make a bone head play hides the facts.

Rasputin 07-18-2014 11:35 AM

Hope he doesn't sign anything and Chiefs keep options open for next year. I know it's just wishful thinking but damn wish Chiefs would draft a damn quarterback in the first round.

Bugeater 07-18-2014 11:39 AM

If no one was being hard-headed the deal would be done by now.

dls6501 07-18-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10752604)
He had like six 4th quarter comebacks that year and is also the reason why they beat the Saints in the playoffs to get to the NFCC. Not quite the same as when Mark Sanchez "led" the Jets to the AFCC in back to back seasons.

The 4th quarter comeback stat looks nice on the surface.....but when you actually look at the games and see that Alex Smith was completely ineffective for much of the game and then made one or two nice throws late in the game, you wont put much stock in the "comebacks."

Example: Bengals game. Alex dinked and dunked his way to about 150 yards through 3+ quarters of football and led the Niners to a grand total of THREE points. Multiple 3 and outs, terrible 3rd down conversion rate, etc. Then the Bengals went ahead by a FG with 9 minutes left. Alex got the ball back and was helped by chunk rushing plays and a HUGE Vernon Davis play where Alex checked down to him and Davis broke for 20+ yards. Then Kendall Hunter runs the ball in for the go ahead touchdown.

And THAT is one of the "comebacks" Alex was credited for. See my point?

And yes, Alex had a good game against the Saints in the playoffs. But won it by himself? Laughable comment. No QB in the history of football can be credited for "winning a game by himself" when said QB's defense forced FIVE turnovers that game.

-King- 07-18-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon Cheeseburger (Post 10752961)
If no one was being hard-headed the deal would be done by now.

Why? There's no rush to get a deal done from either side.
Posted via Mobile Device

ptlyon 07-18-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaDoughz (Post 10753017)
I'm rooting for Smith to get his money. He went to my high school along with Reggie Bush. I've been following them and rooting for them for awhile. They were both supposed to be at a charity event for my school (hosted by taco bell) but only Reggie showed up, really wanted to see Smith. Oh and coincedentally Alex Smith's dad used to be our high schools principal lol

Please don't bother posting again, thanks.

Marcellus 07-18-2014 12:23 PM

Alex Smith didn't lead his teams anywhere yet Kapernick, Wilson, etc....have all lead their teams to their wins.

And now Romo is a great QB even though in the end he loses as many games as he wins usually by turning the ball over.

This place never fails to deliver.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-18-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaDoughz (Post 10753030)
Lol thanks but no thanks. I'm a Smith fan, and this is a public forum. You can put me on the block list if my posts bother you that much. ROFL

****ing kill yourself you one who sucks the penis.

Mr. Laz 07-18-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10753031)
****ing kill yourself you one who sucks the penis.

support the QB of the Chiefs and your enemy #1?

You're a complete ****head, just die already.

duncan_idaho 07-18-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10753020)
Alex Smith didn't lead his teams anywhere yet Kapernick, Wilson, etc....have all lead their teams to their wins.

And now Romo is a great QB even though in the end he loses as many games as he wins usually by turning the ball over.

This place never fails to deliver.

Who brought Colin Kaerpernick or Russell Wilson into the equation? You.

While we're looking at Kaerpernick, though, look at the 49ers in the 2011 playoffs and the 2012 playoffs and tell me if you see a difference in the play of the QB and performance of the offense.

No one said Romo is great. Just that he is better than his rep - especially in clutch situations - and that Covitz's assertion that Smith was on a clear other level from him is patently ridiculous.

Marcellus 07-18-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10753068)
Who brought Colin Kaerpernick or Russell Wilson into the equation? You.

While we're looking at Kaerpernick, though, look at the 49ers in the 2011 playoffs and the 2012 playoffs and tell me if you see a difference in the play of the QB and performance of the offense.

No one said Romo is great. Just that he is better than his rep - especially in clutch situations - and that Covitz's assertion that Smith was on a clear other level from him is patently ridiculous.

You understand the double standards. You do.

BTW Smith had the best single game QBR of any QB in the entire post season last year.