ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Vance Walker and backup NT (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285591)

mcaj22 08-09-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10806159)
He was brought in to give a pass rush from the DE spot. Have the other guys really shown so much that he's not making it on the field in that spot? I find it hard to believe he can't offer more of a pass rush than Devito, even with Devito slimming down.

and what has Vance Walker shown? that he played on a depleted bad Raiders team? That some guy from Englands analytics make him look good? So when that stupid website favors a Chiefs player it's a good metric to use but when the website doesn't favor a Chiefs player it sucks? That makes sense. The only reason you even know he's a good pass rusher is from PFF. Otherwise he's a nobody from a worse team than the Chiefs that we probably overpaid for in FA.

I'll take the homegrown draft pick talent (Cat, Bailey) or the cheap scrap heap find (Howard) or the known veteran (Devito) over that any day.

Why can't those in house DEs be better than him? Because they didn't get 12 million from our GM in FA?

MagicHef 08-09-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10806236)
and what has Vance Walker shown? that he played on a depleted bad Raiders team? That some guy from Englands analytics make him look good? So when that stupid website favors a Chiefs player it's a good metric to use but when the website doesn't favor a Chiefs player it sucks? That makes sense. The only reason you even know he's a good pass rusher is from PFF. Otherwise he's a nobody from a worse team than the Chiefs that we probably overpaid for in FA.

I'll take the homegrown draft pick talent (Cat, Bailey) or the cheap scrap heap find (Howard) or the known veteran (Devito) over that any day.

Why can't those in house DEs be better than him? Because they didn't get 12 million from our GM in FA?

He has more career sacks than every other DE in the roster combined, and that's with being in the league for less time than DeVito.

Providing interior pass rush is what his role has been so far both in Atlanta and Oakland. It's not like he's Sapp or Watt, but yes, his career so far shows that he is a better pass rusher than any other DE on the roster.

Apparently, though, he's not as good as some guy named Jaye Howard, who I don't think I've ever even heard of before.

ThaVirus 08-09-2014 07:35 PM

Hef is pimping a current Chief and former Raider.

Now I've seen it all..

MagicHef 08-09-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10806562)
Hef is pimping a current Chief and former Raider.

Now I've seen it all..

Your just looking at it wrong. The fact that the best pass rushing DE on the roster is the backup NT is hilariously inept, not impressive.

Easy 6 08-09-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10806236)

Lotta common sense in this post.

Bottom line... backup NT still looks terrible.

TimBone 08-09-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 10806524)
He has more career sacks than every other DE in the roster combined, and that's with being in the league for less time than DeVito.

Providing interior pass rush is what his role has been so far both in Atlanta and Oakland. It's not like he's Sapp or Watt, but yes, his career so far shows that he is a better pass rusher than any other DE on the roster.

Apparently, though, he's not as good as some guy named Jaye Howard, who I don't think I've ever even heard of before.

I knew about him before we signed him, and not from his PFF stats. I have a close buddy that's a big Raiders fans so we discuss and watch each others players.

You do, however, make a fair point.

Direckshun 08-09-2014 09:18 PM

I think they just honestly plan on playing Poe 85% of the snaps again.

That, and if he goes down, I bet DeVito goes to nose.

TimBone 08-09-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10806803)
I think they just honestly plan on playing Poe 85% of the snaps again.

That, and if he goes down, I bet DeVito goes to nose.

Well that's freaking stupid. Why does it feel like they didn't address any of the sore spots from last year? Shitty receivers? **** it. No Free Safety? **** it. Star Nose Tackle being played beyond his limits? **** it. At least we got DAT, though.

Direckshun 08-09-2014 09:34 PM

I think they saw the lack of receivers and the collapse of the passrush (along with Hali's imminent departure) as the primary concerns. They saw replacing Tyson Jackson and Brandon Flowers as their secondary concern.

If it weren't for the historic cluster**** that was the Emmanuel Sanders deal, he'd be in Chiefs red right now. The Chiefs likely wanted to go WR in the 1st, but the guy they probably wanted (Brandin Cooks is an Andy Reid receiver if ever there was one) went a couple picks before #23. So they went with Dee Ford as the passrush plug.

They landed Vance Walker in free agency, and figured the development of Allen Bailey and Mike Catapano would give them options. They are clearly counting on Marcus Cooper to help replace Flowers, and the Chiefs brought on Chris Owens and Phillip Gaines to boost their CB corps for Flowers' incoming departure.

So they did move to plug those holes, but yeah, they totally ****ing missed on WR, and it's not remotely clear that they even considered bringing in a NT. They literally never did until days before training camp.

milkman 08-09-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10806830)
I think they saw the lack of receivers and the collapse of the passrush (along with Hali's imminent departure) as the primary concerns. They saw replacing Tyson Jackson and Brandon Flowers as their secondary concern.

If it weren't for the historic cluster**** that was the Emmanuel Sanders deal, he'd be in Chiefs red right now. The Chiefs likely wanted to go WR in the 1st, but the guy they probably wanted (Brandin Cooks is an Andy Reid receiver if ever there was one) went a couple picks before #23. So they went with Dee Ford as the passrush plug.

They landed Vance Walker in free agency, and figured the development of Allen Bailey and Mike Catapano would give them options. They are clearly counting on Marcus Cooper to help replace Flowers, and the Chiefs brought on Chris Owens and Phillip Gaines to boost their CB corps for Flowers' incoming departure.

So they did move to plug those holes, but yeah, they totally ****ing missed on WR, and it's not remotely clear that they even considered bringing in a NT. They literally never did until days before training camp.

Spin it.

This team did absolutely jack to plug last season's holes.

Direckshun 08-09-2014 10:32 PM

They tried with the limited resources they had.

You won't find me arguing that they've been successful doing so.

milkman 08-09-2014 10:36 PM

They didn't try shit, except with Sanders.

They used the draft to plug holes that they plan to create.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 08-09-2014 10:37 PM

You would think the Raiders would try to snag Chiefs in FA, and not vice versa.

Direckshun 08-09-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10806952)
They didn't try shit, except with Sanders.

They used the draft to plug holes that they plan to create.

They had in-house options for nearly everything.

Bailey + Catapano for Jackson
Fisher for Albert
the draft for Hali (imminent), Flowers (imminent), and McCluster
promoting Abdullah and the ill-fated return of Commings

Not exactly an improvement in talent, but yeah.

MagicHef 08-09-2014 10:43 PM

It's weird, because the Broncos needed help in pass rush, the secondary, and maybe at WR, with Decker's departure, so they...

Oh.