ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Which tablet is best for a family? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289096)

Frosty 12-12-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11187171)
Did you buy your wife's direct from Amazon?

Yeah. They had them 1/2 priced early this week, so the 7" was $134. They have the 7" HD for $114 right now too, but it seemed worth spending the extra $20.

We've bought all three straight from Amazon.

The Franchise 12-12-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11187180)
I dont know but i would buy a Surface or one of the new ones that also doubles as a laptop. Everybody seems to loves ipads but they do not do as much as the other devices.

No way am I buying a Surface for my 7 year old. I'll wait until she's older.

Frosty 12-12-2014 02:12 PM

The funny thing is my wife has an iPad through work but hates the thing. Part of the problem is that they have it locked down so it's really difficult to add apps or do much. She has an older regular Kindle Touch that she reads on all the time but has mentioned several times that it would be nice to have something with a backlight so she can read when it's dark. That's why I went with the Fire.

The Franchise 12-12-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11187181)
Yeah. They had them 1/2 priced early this week, so the 7" was $134. They have the 7" HD for $114 right now too, but it seemed worth spending the extra $20.

We've bought all three straight from Amazon.

Cool thanks.

Buehler445 12-12-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11187186)
No way am I buying a Surface for my 7 year old. I'll wait until she's older.

I wouldn't either.

But my buddy has one, and if you need one, I'd recommend it.

The Franchise 12-12-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11187193)
I wouldn't either.

But my buddy has one, and if you need one, I'd recommend it.

Oh...I want one, but it would be for myself.

The Franchise 12-12-2014 02:21 PM

I think I'm going to go with the Kindle Fire. I like the lockdown options that I have plus for $4.99 a month...she can get unlimited access to kids books, movies and games.

Thanks guys.

MTG#10 12-12-2014 03:00 PM

Get an android tablet. Ipads suck because of the price you have to pay for the hardware you receive, and they dont have expandable storage. The Fires suck because they are LOADED with garbage you dont need leaving you very little storage space to work with and you cant add additional storage on them either...plus, like you said the Amazon app store is garbage.

NewChief 12-12-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11187180)
I dont know but i would buy a Surface or one of the new ones that also doubles as a laptop. Everybody seems to loves ipads but they do not do as much as the other devices.

Buddy at work just got one of the cheaper Surfaces (not the one that's a full PC, but the tablet type one). He freaking loves it. The external storage is great. Also came loaded with MS Office suite. I think he got it for like $350.

He's a good techie and doesn't discriminate in platform. He's a google lover but also has a couple of iPads and runs a Mac. He absolutely raves about his Surface, though.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2014 06:02 PM

My 6 year old has had a Kindle 7 HD since last Christmas and she loves it. I don't find it as intuitive as the iPad but she doesn't have any problem. She was on our iPads for a year prior and an iTouch since about 20 months.

Wife just received a Kindle HDX 6 as a gift last night for working on the Amazon account. We'll probably give the 6 year old the HDX 6 and the 2 year old the 7 HD.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11187532)
Buddy at work just got one of the cheaper Surfaces (not the one that's a full PC, but the tablet type one). He freaking loves it. The external storage is great. Also came loaded with MS Office suite. I think he got it for like $350.

He's a good techie and doesn't discriminate in platform. He's a google lover but also has a couple of iPads and runs a Mac. He absolutely raves about his Surface, though.

My mom, against my advice, purchased the Dell tablet. After masive problems and two replacements, she finally returned it for good and replaced with a Kindle 8.9 HDX and loves it.

The Franchise 12-12-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11187683)
My 6 year old has had a Kindle 7 HD since last Christmas and she loves it. I don't find it as intuitive as the iPad but she doesn't have any problem. She was on our iPads for a year prior and an iTouch since about 20 months.

Wife just received a Kindle HDX 6 as a gift last night for working on the Amazon account. We'll probably give the 6 year old the HDX 6 and the 2 year old the 7 HD.

Sweet. Ordered the HDX 7 today. She should be pretty excited on Christmas morning.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11187686)
Sweet. Ordered the HDX 7 today. She should be pretty excited on Christmas morning.

Awesome, Dad! :D

I've trained my daughter to use headphones, so we never hear her content, which is so cool. Netflix is a life saver as well. She watches Pokemon, Digimon, Super Mario Brothers, My Little Pony, Mickey Mouse and more, without taking up a TV.

The main reason we're giving her the six is because it's got a camera and she's all into taking pictures and filming her puppet shows with an old point and shoot.

The Franchise 12-12-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11187698)
Awesome, Dad! :D

I've trained my daughter to use headphones, so we never hear her content, which is so cool. Netflix is a life saver as well. She watches Pokemon, Digimon, Super Mario Brothers, My Little Pony, Mickey Mouse and more, without taking up a TV.

We'll probably start out with the Amazon FreeTime Unlimited for her. That should at least cover her books, games and movies.

Headphones. Awesome idea. LMAO

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11187706)
We'll probably start out with the Amazon FreeTime Unlimited for her. That should at least cover her books, games and movies.

Headphones. Awesome idea. LMAO

She kept going through the $20 dollar Hello Kitty headphones because the cable would short at the plug. I bought her these this summer, which have a heavier right angle plug and we haven't had any issues, yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1