ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Misc About damn time! Verizon kills service contracts (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293794)

Dunit35 08-09-2015 09:51 AM

I'd rather sign up for a two year contract than pay an additional monthly fee for a phone.

DaFace 08-09-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11647693)
Yeah. Isn't a 6 plus like $900? But it at least gives you options to make your plan cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11647702)
True but part of that cost is BECAUSE they are subsidized. Get rid of subsidies and the market corrects downward and you should see prices drop. May slow the release of super high end flagships but we are reaching a point where there isn't much benefit to one anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11647712)
Seems like the phones really are not subsidized much anymore but the cost just passed along by a more expensive monthly contract. Still the premium Apple and Samsung phones are $650+ and wonder how many just prefer paying a bit more a month vs. shelling out the cost of the phone upfront.

I guess I'm just skeptical that Verizon is making this change out of the goodness of their hearts because they want to save consumers money. One way or another, people will pay more this way.

TambaBerry 08-09-2015 09:07 PM

im currently on the verizon edge program and they give you a 25 dollar credit to your line for each line on data plans above 6gb im pretty sure. so my phone I am getting for free all i paid was the taxes on the total cost of the phone.

lewdog 08-09-2015 09:20 PM

We switched to T-Mobile about 4 months ago. We switched to T-mobile so Verizon would stop raping us on data charges. T-Mobile also bought out our contract to the tune of $600. We pay about $20 more per month total for unlimited everything and we both have the iPhone 6 compared to unlimited talk/text and 2 GBs data with Verizon and shitty phones. **** VERIZON.

Buehler445 08-09-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11648284)
I guess I'm just skeptical that Verizon is making this change out of the goodness of their hearts because they want to save consumers money. One way or another, people will pay more this way.

Oh yeah, typically. But at least it is closer to paying for what you are getting.

Valiant 08-10-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 11648137)
I'd rather sign up for a two year contract than pay an additional monthly fee for a phone.

Umm..

Most carriers are doing this now and it is beneficial to the users..

Say the old way of you buying a phone on a normal contract. You are stuck paying the same, even once you have paid of the subsidy.

Now your option is buy the phone outright like Europeans do and have a cheap monthly plan, or have the divide out the phone cost into payments, once paid off the plan goes back down unless you upgrade.

DC.chief 08-10-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11649537)
We switched to T-Mobile about 4 months ago. We switched to T-mobile so Verizon would stop raping us on data charges. T-Mobile also bought out our contract to the tune of $600. We pay about $20 more per month total for unlimited everything and we both have the iPhone 6 compared to unlimited talk/text and 2 GBs data with Verizon and shitty phones. **** VERIZON.

How has the service/coverage been with t-mobile? I've been wanting to switch from Verizon and considered T-Mobile but I'm hesitant

007 08-10-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC.chief (Post 11649892)
How has the service/coverage been with t-mobile? I've been wanting to switch from Verizon and considered T-Mobile but I'm hesitant

I'd do Tmobile in a heartbeat here if the signal didn't suck.

mdchiefsfan 08-15-2015 11:39 AM

Just set up my new account. I've been due for an upgrade since June, just didn't have the income to get the phone I wanted. I just switched to this plan yesterday. I am paying about the same, while paying for 2 iPhone 6 plus and 2 more GB/ month, as I was for just the contract. My gf getting a 22% discount from her job certainly is assisting in that aspect:D

listopencil 08-15-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11647994)
Better than what I currently have through Verizon. I pay $45 for unlimited talk and text with 500MB data. That is for a G3 phone. I moved to a G4 phone and they raised it $10.

Jesus, Wal Mart offers a plan that's $25 unlimited talk and text, $5 extra for 1G web (If you add extra lines then each line is $5 off). So you'd be paying $30 for what you have now with twice the data. They use the T-Mobile network.

BigMeatballDave 08-15-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11648284)

Probably, but if you own your phone you can give them the finger and walk away.

lewdog 08-17-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC.chief (Post 11649892)

Live in Phoenix and it's great. Took a trip to northern states and we went roaming and to AT&T for data and it limited us here.

DaveNull 08-17-2015 09:48 AM

Phone companies are moving to this model because the FTC was on their asses about how they characterized the early termination fees. This is certainly more transparent, but in the end it's probably a wash from a financial perspective.

L.A. Chieffan 08-17-2015 02:10 PM

They still offer two year contracts for existing customers but it usually makes more sense to do the device payment plan regardless. The plans are pretty competitive compared to the other 3 big carriers except T-Mobile. T-Mobile is killing it with their data plans right now. The service is shit however. Pay more for what you get. If all you did tho was live in a major city it might be good enough

007 08-17-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 11665875)
They still offer two year contracts for existing customers but it usually makes more sense to do the device payment plan regardless. The plans are pretty competitive compared to the other 3 big carriers except T-Mobile. T-Mobile is killing it with their data plans right now. The service is **** however. Pay more for what you get. If all you did tho was live in a major city it might be good enough

I would switch to tmobile in a heartbeat for their family plan but the service is just horrible in my city unless you live by the interstate.