ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Time lapse of 58 hour bridge replacement. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293984)

srvy 08-18-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bunk (Post 11667858)
FYP.

Construction or no, traffic is always a cluster in Nashville.

It is everywhere most the highways were designed for 1950's traffic. Well we now see that has expanded astronomically. So highways were designed with a 30 year lifespan with not nearly the load that is put on them now. Over the road trucks responsible for beating done sub-grade on roads have has weight limits and size extended. So yes they are failing badly 65 some years later. Yet we want smooth unencumbered drives to work but don't want pay for or have patience to put band aid on what we do have. I think they are pretty damn good considering.

big nasty kcnut 08-18-2015 11:05 AM

Take two ****ing year to fix a bridge here in tulsa!

ChiefsNWildcats 08-18-2015 11:08 AM

Can't even get contractors to show up on site at the bridge construction on I-70 near 635 in Kansas. Took a lane away while no work gets done.

aturnis 08-18-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11667687)
No it wouldnt, both Missouri and Kansas have done similar projects. By the way the DOT's don't build bridges hardly ever if at all. They hire private contractors to do the engineering and construction. That is not a complicated bridge at all its not over a body of water nor did it require piers. The abutments appear to have been reused so no regrading below them. Single precast concrete beams and and other than the approach aprons at each end the bridge no regrading of pavement was necessary. Really people who have no idea what a project in construction involves should not comment on what it takes. Its like me not having a clue what your job involves criticizing on why it took you so long.

Did they really use precast slabs to span the bridge? What's the expected life on those?

aturnis 08-18-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 11667793)
Dammit. I'm a libra and do not know how to respond.

Libra's never do...

mikeyis4dcats. 08-18-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11668027)
Did they really use precast slabs to span the bridge? What's the expected life on those?

not sure ont he specifics, but I think they can get away with that down south. Not around here.

srvy 08-18-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11668027)

Yep and its pretty cool isn't it. You eliminate all the ironwork assembling rebar and tie wire wrap. and concrete flat work and curing. Just like a paver you remove old paver and put in new when damaged. As for life span I suppose its as good as any bridge. Hell cobblestone roadways were so good many town squares just black topped over them.

aturnis 08-18-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11668044)
not sure ont he specifics, but I think they can get away with that down south. Not around here.

This is probably very true. Wasn't really thinking about the region.

srvy 08-18-2015 11:42 AM

Bridge decks are poured in place panels vs placed in panels such as that video. The concrete will get construction adhesives sprayed on it just like any concrete slab. Also the concrete consistency and strength can be poured in a precast plant with far better consistency than a ready mix and delivered wet to site. As for winter life from freeze and thaw id expect to be about same it has expansion joints and coating just like any concrete slab.

notorious 08-18-2015 11:45 AM

You could do a time lapse video of construction in SW Kansas and it would look like a still photo.

srvy 08-18-2015 11:54 AM

Weak link may be in the grouting could get labor intensive. But is probably offset by fact that repair will be fast and easy with minimal lane closure due to no cure time.

srvy 08-18-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11668044)

Its been done in Missouri and HNTB was all over it.
ftp://www.mdt.mt.gov/research/LIBRARY/MO_OR06-003.PDF

srvy 08-18-2015 12:05 PM

The proposed I-70 smart highway across Missouri could all be built with this method of construction.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/engineer-en...ghway/32008786

displacedinMN 08-18-2015 12:42 PM

Damn impressive.

Just found out a road will be closed for a year for bridge and pave work.

srvy 08-18-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11668129)
You could do a time lapse video of construction in SW Kansas and it would look like a still photo.

You do know that the people who build those bridges come from all over the country. It has nothing to do with states or local. What is important is complexity and scope of project all are different. Take a picture of this bridge and post it. I will point out why that bridge is most likely not remotely similar to the one in this post.
I would be willing to bet in your job you could post something that looks just like another something and I could say well why so long for this and not that.