ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Carpet Installer Screw Up Question... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308105)

petegz28 06-05-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12902633)
No you should not see any seam.

The labor should've been about 300 bucks

Carpet maybe 6 or 7 hundred

Padding no more than 150 for 8 pownd

So say 1200 TOPS for this job and you should not see the seam

Another question I had was where they laid the seams, should I feel something different under the carpet? If I walk along where they laid the seam if feels like there is something underneath there. I know they use that glue strip or whatever but I mean, I can feel it which I never could on my old carpet. I didn't know if that's cause I am using better pad or what but if if the carpet is not laying flush on the pad, that's going to make the seam worse, right?

mikeyis4dcats. 06-05-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12902782)
Another question I had was where they laid the seams, should I feel something different under the carpet? If I walk along where they laid the seam if feels like there is something underneath there. I know they use that glue strip or whatever but I mean, I can feel it which I never could on my old carpet. I didn't know if that's cause I am using better pad or what but if if the carpet is not laying flush on the pad, that's going to make the seam worse, right?

the seams are just made with tape, you shouldn't feel anything significant

petegz28 06-05-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12902802)
the seams are just made with tape, you shouldn't feel anything significant

I definitely feel something on both seams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BlackHelicopters 06-05-2017 10:49 AM

Move on. Never use them. Contact A Gen in your state. File a complaint. See what happens .also, of course, never use them again.

Bugeater 06-05-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBInfinity (Post 12902716)
Why did you have it installed by someone other than who sold you the carpet?
Go to Nebraska Furniture Mart
done

NFM doesn't actually install the carpet, they just use local subs. But it does give you somebody to bitch at if they do a shit job.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-05-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12903124)
NFM doesn't actually install the carpet, they just use local subs. But it does give you somebody to bitch at if they do a shit job.

as do the vast majority of carpet retailers.

petegz28 06-05-2017 01:56 PM

Amazingly, 20 minutes after I left him a voice mail telling him he lost the tile work and that I will be pursuing methods to get the carpet "done right" and he would be hearing from me when I got the bill for that, I get a text saying he sent the pictures to the Carpet Rep and is\was waiting on a response from them before he called me.

I'm like yea, bullshit. You sat on it and when you heard your ass was losing work and might be getting taken to court you got off your ass and did something.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-05-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12903158)
Amazingly, 20 minutes after I left him a voice mail telling him he lost the tile work and that I will be pursuing methods to get the carpet "done right" and he would be hearing from me when I got the bill for that, I get a text saying he sent the pictures to the Carpet Rep and is\was waiting on a response from them before he called me.

I'm like yea, bullshit. You sat on it and when you heard your ass was losing work and might be getting taken to court you got off your ass and did something.

honestly if you already paid him, you don't have too much leverage except small claims court, and even then claiming your award can be tough.

petegz28 06-05-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12903170)
honestly if you already paid him, you don't have too much leverage except small claims court, and even then claiming your award can be tough.

True but he gets drug through the mud doing so. I am fully prepared for him to tell me to **** off but he depends on word of mouth for his business so, he won't be helping himself, that's for sure. If I wanted to be a real prick I could put a lien on his house or business assuming I won in court and he didn't want to pay.

srvy 06-05-2017 02:26 PM

The times I have had new carpet installed they always went over with me where the seam would be. If I remember right some carpet rolls are manufactured in different widths so this installer maybe used the carpet more efficiently putting the seam in worst area a highly traveled one. This could all be incorrect now as its been near 10 years since my last install.

petegz28 06-05-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12903239)
The times I have had new carpet installed they always went over with me where the seam would be. If I remember right some carpet rolls are manufactured in different widths so this installer maybe used the carpet more efficiently putting the seam in worst area a highly traveled one. This could all be incorrect now as its been near 10 years since my last install.

This carpet only comes in 12ft which is fine. That's what the builder used. This comes down to the direction they laid it. If they would have laid it 12 ft wide from back of house towards the front then they could have ran the seam 3ft away from the outer wall along the same piece. That is what the builder did and that seam was covered by furniture and stuff.

These guys ran it 12 ft wide from side-side. So then they had to run another piece another 5 ft piece along that with the seam going front to back, across the living room floor instead of side-side, along the outer wall like they should have. I don't know what made them do that but to me it's a complete and total **** up.

SBInfinity 06-05-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12903124)

which is a huge benefit

Otis Day 06-05-2017 03:09 PM

12' wide is the standard, and the installer should always put the seam farthest away from the walking path. If they didn't, either they are not experienced or they were trying to install as not to waste any carpet. However, they should never do that at the expense of putting the seam in the middle of the room without consulting you. From what you have written, inexperience seems most likely.

Dinny Bossa Nova 06-05-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis Day (Post 12903308)
12' wide is the standard, and the installer should always put the seam farthest away from the walking path. If they didn't, either they are not experienced or they were trying to install as not to waste any carpet. However, they should never do that at the expense of putting the seam in the middle of the room without consulting you. From what you have written, inexperience seems most likely.

Otis!!!!!

MY MAN!!!!!!!

Dinny

petegz28 06-05-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis Day (Post 12903308)

Actually based on what I can remember of his ramblings, I think it was the save carpet thing.