ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs As Patrick Mahomes settles in, a little discomfort is serving Chiefs’ Alex Smith well (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309526)

Deberg_1990 08-21-2017 04:17 PM

It's a nice problem to have. The Chiefs having two capable starters. Not going to complain. I remember when the Chiefs had zero capable starting QBs

eDave 08-21-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 13029014)
BECAUSE ALL HE DOES IS WIN GAMES!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Decent backup if he's willing.

Halfcan 08-21-2017 05:14 PM

Smith, 33, is beginning his 13th NFL season and coming off a year when he set a career best for yards (3,502) and his 91.2 passer rating was above his career mark. He’s under contract through 2018

And don't forget those 15 TD's.

Pretty sure if Mahomes was forced to start this year, he would break this paltry numbers by mid season.

RealSNR 08-21-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13029034)
Decent backup if he's willing.

Sorry dude, but just no. I don't care how nice his disposition or personality is. He'd be a giant distraction in the formative years of Mahomes' career.

And even in the unlikely instance that he's willing to take a paycut and play backup, the dude would be way too expensive both in terms of $$$ and the fact that we wouldn't receive any draft pick compensation through trade.

When Mahomes eventually takes over, Smith has to get the **** out. No exceptions. Zero.

Hog Rider 08-21-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13028884)
Alex Smiff career rating 85.3
Colin Kaepernick career rating 88.9

Alex Smiff also 30th last year in 3rd down percentage.

These are facts.

Not saying I want Kaepernick, but I was floored when I saw his rating was higher than Alex Smiffs for career.

What're Kap's numbers this pre-season?

eDave 08-21-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13029267)
Sorry dude, but just no. I don't care how nice his disposition or personality is. He'd be a giant distraction in the formative years of Mahomes' career.

And even in the unlikely instance that he's willing to take a paycut and play backup, the dude would be way too expensive both in terms of $$$ and the fact that we wouldn't receive any draft pick compensation through trade.

When Mahomes eventually takes over, Smith has to get the **** out. No exceptions. Zero.

Poorly framed joke.

Bugeater 08-21-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13028983)
Why the **** would you applaud a 3-year extension for Smith, you ****ing idiot?

Because he's a ****ing idiot?

HemiEd 08-21-2017 06:30 PM

At least Blair knows he was the 10th pick and not the 12th.

JakeF 08-21-2017 07:17 PM

Alex Smith is probably the best mentor Mahomes could have gotten. Smith is generous with his knowlege and philosophically a very different player. It will help Mahome become a well-rounded player, while Mahomes will help Smith relax and become more aggressive. While Smith is not an elite quarterback, the best player is not always the best teacher. Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes seem to be a great combination.

stevieray 08-21-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13029426)
Alex Smith is probably the best mentor Mahomes could have gotten. Smith is generous with his knowlege and philosophically a very different player. It will help Mahome become a well-rounded player, while Mahomes will help Smith relax and become more aggressive. While Smith is not an elite quarterback, the best player is not always the best teacher. Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes seem to be a great combination.

...and Reid.

...nice take.

Cornstock 08-21-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13029426)

This. I was watching on ESPN, Favre was a complete dick to Rogers when they were together. He had no interest in teaching him whatsoever.

penbrook 08-21-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13029173)
Smith, 33, is beginning his 13th NFL season and coming off a year when he set a career best for yards (3,502) and his 91.2 passer rating was above his career mark. He’s under contract through 2018

And don't forget those 15 TD's.

Pretty sure if Mahomes was forced to start this year, he would break this paltry numbers by mid season.

If Mahomes broke those number mid season your looking at 8 games played. So he would have to throw 438 yards a game. He would also be on pace to set a NFL record in passing yards

wazu 08-21-2017 10:56 PM

I'm just glad to see Tribal Warfare post something that isn't a Game of Thrones spoiler.

KChiefs1 08-21-2017 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 13028853)
Told you all so, Smith pro bowl year. 3 year extension.

Alex would be an acceptable backup but he'd have to take a pay cut.

Rasputin 08-21-2017 11:40 PM

I don't plan to go to a Chiefs game unless I know for sure Patrick Mahomes II is starting. Well I'm wanting go to a Chiefs game anyways but hoping Mahomes II will start betime we play San Diego er I mean Lost Angeles Chargers at Arrowhead late game on Saturday night in December.

Never been to a night game and I want to see Kansas City Christmas lights and make it a Christmas shopping weekend with my kids.

Even though Alex Smith is having a good TC & preseason campaign it's hard to imagine he keeps it up all season & he will be reverting to his old self. Hell he had to settle for a field goal because he didn't have the gumptious nature that Patrick has so it wont take much for him to continue his lackluster ways. He wont' keep his job not making this offense work and leaving it all up to the defense. I don't care what Andy Reid says in August, November and December are the months Chiefs will be wanting test Mahomes out if Alex Smith starts to falter.

I can also see Andy Reid giving the fans on Monday Night Football October 30th against the Broncos a glimps or a cock tease & have a few special plays designed for Patrick Mahomes II to instill. I don't put nothing past Andy Reid.