ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink ALDI (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315797)

loochy 06-14-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 13592261)
I don't shop at Aldi's. A few years ago my parents bought me a steak for my birthday (We're simple folks) and I put it in the freezer.

It had turned brown, IN THE FREEZER, within two days.

That's the first, only, and hopefully last time I ever see that happen.

Call me a meat hipster, but I buy most of my meat at a butcher. I don't trust supermarket mass produced shit.

Yeah! I only want the beef that is injected with fake red coloring!
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner 06-14-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13592202)
Aldi is okay as long as you aren’t buying essentials, just stuff like chips, coffee and other bagged/can goods.

I tried their milk and produce twice and both times it went to shit after 2 days regardless of ripeness or expiration date.

They sell these kettle cooked cracked pepper chips that are excellent for like $1.79 a bag.

Marcellus 06-14-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 13592199)
I hate it. They just opened one up near me, but I'll go to HEB til I die vs this place.

First of all you have to pay for carts with quarters. I don't trust their generics compared to HEB (Texas's equivalent to Hy-Vee, no affiliation). They have knock off beer... knock off Samuel Adams and Shiner Bock...wtf. Just not my thing.

Just an FYI where I work we make coffee creamer, soy milk, and almond milk for both HEB and Aldi's store brand (as well as most every other grocery chain).

Its the EXACT same thing with a different label on it.

You are welcome.

Graystoke 06-14-2018 07:21 AM

Mamma Coziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Nixhex 06-14-2018 07:22 AM

Cheese, Butter (not that fake margarine crap) and Eggs are the best deals at ALDI. I pretty much stay away from the produce unless I plan on using it the day I buy it. Just got some Chicken breasts there that were not frozen and were over a $1 per pound less than HYVEE. You have to pick and choose what you buy but some good deals can be had.

Fish 06-14-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 13592261)
I don't shop at Aldi's. A few years ago my parents bought me a steak for my birthday (We're simple folks) and I put it in the freezer.

It had turned brown, IN THE FREEZER, within two days.

That's the first, only, and hopefully last time I ever see that happen.

Call me a meat hipster, but I buy most of my meat at a butcher. I don't trust supermarket mass produced shit.

This post is so confusing in so many ways...

Baby Lee 06-14-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13592362)
Just an FYI where I work we make coffee creamer, soy milk, and almond milk for both HEB and Aldi's store brand (as well as most every other grocery chain).

Its the EXACT same thing with a different label on it.

You are welcome.

Though stores work hard to mask them, a savvy shopper can usually find evidence of where a generic comes from, relative to a name brand.

Usually your best bet is to find the fine print to see where it's packaged or bottled.

[Just a ferinstance totally made up out of thin air but illustrative, but if you see a 'generic' soda that is 'bottled in Atlanta GA,' it's a good bet that the Coca Cola Corp is involved somewhere]

Simply Red 06-14-2018 07:43 AM

they could sell organic pussy and CP would figure out a complaint to present.

Simply Red 06-14-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixhex (Post 13592370)
Cheese, Butter (not that fake margarine crap) and Eggs are the best deals at ALDI. I pretty much stay away from the produce unless I plan on using it the day I buy it. Just got some Chicken breasts there that were not frozen and were over a $1 per pound less than HYVEE. You have to pick and choose what you buy but some good deals can be had.

their 1.49 bunch of broccoli is solid.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-14-2018 07:48 AM

I got turned on to their Momma Cozis pizzas here. Still a little surprised their nicer ones are 3.99 and 4.99 though.

Fish 06-14-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13592389)
they could sell organic pussy and CP would figure out a complaint to present.

It just doesn't hold a candle to the organic pussy I can find a ACME Grocery and Pussy Outlet..

Lzen 06-14-2018 08:47 AM

We love Aldi. Their prices are mostly better than anywhere else around here and their food is mostly good. We do the bulk of our grocery shopping there. We still do go to Dillons and Walmart for a few other items. Not sure why someone had issues with the milk. We never have issues with their milk. The produce is okay for the most part but it can be hit and miss. They always seem to be out of bananas or they're green. You can find some good apples but occasionally they are bland. Same with oranges. Peaches have always been awful, hard and not very sweet. Still, many other fresh fruits and veggies have been great. We have 2 stores here and we use them both. They recently remodeled the one out by Wannamaker. It is nice, more open and modern looking. But I think they had to cut out some items to do this. I have even recently started drinking their coffee (grounds in a bag) and their cappuccino K-cups. I would highly recommend them if you're on a budget and still want quality.

Lzen 06-14-2018 08:51 AM

The Truth About Aldi's Really Low Prices

https://youtu.be/RD8bai4hNBw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RD8bai4hNBw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63 06-14-2018 10:23 AM

ALDI has really made a big push in the US in the last 7-8 years and it appears to be paying off for them.

cabletech94 06-14-2018 10:32 AM

I’ve switched primarily to Aldis for 90% of all my groceries. Had a few sketchy produce items. Everything I’ve gotten, I’ve been happy with.