ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs It's fourth and 2, inside the 20. Do you... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318291)

Rain Man 10-19-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13827900)
The regular deep snapper is injured, and someone who can't snap the ball the usual distance is being employed, so it's sort of a pistol field goal formation.

Are teams required to accept touchdowns? If a player dives into the end zone, can the team decline the touchdown and then kick a field goal from two yards deep in the end zone? I could see it as a strategy to burn clock.

Eleazar 10-19-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13827914)
Are teams required to accept touchdowns? If a player dives into the end zone, can the team decline the touchdown and then kick a field goal from two yards deep in the end zone? I could see it as a strategy to burn clock.

Remember a few years ago when Doug Flutie drop-kicked that field goal, which was the point when everyone under the age of 90 found out that was legal to do that?

It could be a fake 4th and goal attempt. You hand it off, and just before he would cross the goal line, the ball carrier drop kicks the ball through the uprights. They'll never see it coming.

Renegade 10-19-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13827924)
Remember a few years ago when Doug Flutie drop-kicked that field goal, which was the point when everyone under the age of 90 found out that was legal to do that?

It could be a fake 4th and goal attempt. You hand it off, and just before he would cross the goal line, the ball carrier drop kicks the ball through the uprights. They'll never see it coming.

Or you could do the ole Westbrook play and not score and let the clock run out.

ChiefBlueCFC 10-19-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 13827700)
4th and 2, inside the 20?

Punt the ball.

They'll NEVER see it coming!

I think in Canada you get a point for this

ChiefBlueCFC 10-19-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13827900)
The regular deep snapper is injured, and someone who can't snap the ball the usual distance is being employed, so it's sort of a pistol field goal formation.

So in this scenario this team does not have a second player that can snap a ball 7 yards? and therefore the kicker has to be 2-3 yards closer to the LOS? I... would probably bring in Bo Jackson and run a toss sweep have him run backwards to his own endzone and then turn around and run side to side back, making defenders dive and look silly and just run the clock out and score a touchdown...

FAX 10-19-2018 09:39 AM

If you go by stats, we seem to be somewhat better in the redzone than anywhere else on the field ... defensively speaking, that is.

This raises the potentially innovative scheme of punting the ball backward and downing it at our own 20.

FAX

Rain Man 10-19-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13827924)

That could work.

I never thought about this, but can someone interpret the rules regarding two scenarios?

Scenario 1. It's an extra point attempt. However, the snap is bad or the holder botches it or something. The ball ends up on the ground. Seeing the predicament, the kicker runs up and boots the ball while it's on the ground, and it goes through the upright. Is the extra point good? Or is it a penalty for kicking a fumble? (Because if it was a running play, I don't think you're allowed to kick the ball forward.) And does it make a difference if the ball is ahead or behind the line of scrimmage when it's kicked?

Scenario 2. The offense has a 3rd and 6 on the opponent's 6 yard line. The QB goes into a shotgun and the ball is snapped over his head. The ever-alert running back, seeing that defenders are swarming, runs over and kicks the bouncing ball through the uprights. Is it a field goal? There's no rule that a team has to declare a field goal attempt, right? The ball doesn't have to be on a tee or anything. Does it have to have a holder? Does it have to be on the ground when kicked (hence the drop kick legality)?

Dartgod 10-19-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC (Post 13827938)
I think in Canada you get a point for this

Speaking of Canada, I think that is where the OP is vacationing right now. There or Colorado. :bong:

rabblerouser 10-19-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 13827883)
Explain to me how a 15 yd field goal works?

That's already a TD?

Be a lot cooler if you did...