ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Frazod's Great Technology Leap of 2023 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349973)

Frazod 08-29-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17078242)
Several of our neighbors switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and were flaunting it like some kind of new awesome development.

Seems like every time I try to talk to one of them the call gets dropped.

Good luck with it Tim, hopefully it is much better up there in the metropolis.

Hopefully. Neither Verizon nor AT&T offered an equivalent for my area, so they won by default.

I'll know shortly.

Frazod 08-29-2023 02:14 PM

Of course my IT buddy is giving me shit for being completely paranoid about removing the old cooling system. But he thinks at a master level and I'm a barely at apprentice level, so I'll just take the abuse. Working on/around my computer's CPU is number three on the list of things that scare me, right after sharks (**** you Spielberg) and, after wrecking my knee last year, ladders.

Jewish Rabbi 08-29-2023 02:58 PM

If you're having issues getting the old cooling system out you could just shoot it

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:02 PM

New internet up and running. Pleasantly surprised. It was as easy as advertised. Five bar strength. Now I'm going to see how long it takes to download a game. I think I'll start with Witcher 3.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:10 PM

Holy shit - this is like going from a biplane to a stealth fighter. I'm damned near on verge of tears! The entire game will download in less than half an hour. On the shit I had before, it would have taken six hours or longer.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_39x9kq4aU" title="Excalibur 1981 I Didn&#39;t Know How Empty My Soul Was" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 03:11 PM

Reminder online video games take Kb's of data not Mb.... Now if you are using Voice Comm's that is different.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 17078752)
Reminder online video games take KB's of data not MB.... Now if you are using Voice Comm's that is different.

I don't do online games. Ever.

BleedingRed 08-29-2023 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17078748)
Holy shit - this is like going from a biplane to a stealth fighter. I'm damned near on verge of tears! The entire game will download in less than half an hour. On the shit I had before, it would have taken six hours or longer.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_39x9kq4aU" title="Excalibur 1981 I Didn&#39;t Know How Empty My Soul Was" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happy for you bud,

I would also suggest hard wiring from modem to computer if possible.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 17078761)
Happy for you bud,

I would also suggest hard wiring from modem to computer if possible.

Already done. :thumb:

One of the features of the mobile app was using the camera to find the best spot for gateway device. I assumed that would be near the window, but instead it was right next to my computer. They're less than six inches apart.

Still pretty much dumbfounded by how awesome this is. Haven't been this happy since the Chiefs won their latest Super Bowl.

Frazod 08-29-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17078717)
New internet up and running. Pleasantly surprised. It was as easy as advertised. Five bar strength. Now I'm going to see how long it takes to download a game. I think I'll start with Witcher 3.

Started the 5.5 GB download at 4:03. It was completed in 32 minutes.

:wayne:

Imon Yourside 08-29-2023 06:48 PM

Frazod gets out of the stone age :)

Congrats buddy

Demonpenz 08-29-2023 07:48 PM

Sounds fun good luck

Mephistopheles Janx 08-29-2023 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 17079319)
Frazod gets out of the stone age :)

Congrats buddy

The 4770k processor that we both had in our previous rigs still meets the minimum requirements of most games and can be highly overclocked as well.

That said... Starfield's minimum requirements are a 4790k which means it was definitely time to say goodbye to that rig.

Congrats on the upgrade Frazod. I love my 3070 video card so I know you must be enjoying yours. :D

Frazod 08-29-2023 09:01 PM

The old computer, which really never had a problem before, has now apparently become possessed. New cooling system installed, core temperature fine, but for some reason the ****ing thing now won't recognize the goddamn SSD.

I unplugged it and moved it ten feet. You'd think I dropped it off the roof.

I've started drinking now.

:cuss:

lewdog 08-29-2023 09:21 PM

This thread reminds me of the time it took me 2 years to convince my parents to get real internet and understand how easy streaming can be.