ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Uh oh............ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=672)

scooter 08-30-2000 07:16 AM

Welcome to Guntherball. Choosing Rich as the HB instead of a Cloud/Rich combo ensures we'll see lots o 8 man fronts. This quote ensures we'll see lots of slams into those fronts.

Gunther seems intent on proving some kind of macho 'I'm a tough guy' thing. Unfortunately we'll be the ones showing our macho as we watch the parade of 3 and outs.

sun 08-30-2000 07:26 AM

I agree with Wolfman. I have held in my true feeling about Gun for my love of the team. However, he is making it hard to respect him. I have thought since day 1 that he has no business as a head coach. I will stick by him though, just as he has done with Grbac. If nothing is produced soon, I say they both go.

shakesthecat 08-30-2000 07:38 AM

This quote isn't the only one he has made lately that has me scratching my head. Forget the fact we lost all games in preseason, what did we learn, from those games, player evaluation, I guess that will be decided. This team looked down, that is the only term I can use, as it took the field in the SF and Tampa game, and even going into the opening game, I am sensing, complete disarray. The decision to cut Rison, which I agreed with, was met with some doubts, by other players. I think Warfield himself, was the most astounded by Dishman, which I also liked. I think the veterans all rallied around Gun last year, and really overachieved, this year I just get the feeling that loyalty and admiration is lacking. By the way, I don't know what his personal problems are, but he had better get his head into the season fast.

b-squared 08-30-2000 07:44 AM

I think what Gun is trying to say is this: The game of football is a game of field position. You don't want to have a pass intercepted when you are backed up near your own goal line. Better to chuck a long one (if its intercepted its like a punt) and then it must be setup by play action.

With a good punter the battle for field position should swing in our favor then we can open it up and punch it in.

Just trying to give Gun the benefit of the doubt, but I do think this is a correct approach to coaching. Not taking a sack or interception deep in your own territory is a good idea!

------------------
Still I dream of a cold frosty day probably too far away when the Chiefs are still playing football in mid January

HawkeyeChief 08-30-2000 11:30 AM

Chiefnj: you said,
All Raye bashers please take note. Raye is following Gun's orders!!

I am the king when it comes to bashing Raye. This is an example of how Gun has to give him the most simple of instructions about protecting their own end zone. Gun's comment is obvious to everyone but Raye. <BR>

Duck Dog 08-30-2000 01:13 PM

I want to see long passes for exciting touchdown runs. I am tired of up the gut for little or no gain runs that go nowhere!!!

Snapper 08-30-2000 01:19 PM

Gun is talking about special teams. He likes what he sees out of Saurbrun (Sp?). So if we do have a 3 and out like all teams have Todd can move the ball back to their end of the field. His comments are not reflecting his thoughts on our offense.

Hoover
Read the whole story, not just a quote.

[This message has been edited by Hoover (edited 08-30-2000).]

Bob Dole 08-30-2000 01:48 PM

Hoover your correct some of these people jump to conclusions so much on incorrect or incomplete information. It's laughable.

stevieray 08-30-2000 02:20 PM

It appears to me that if the Chiefs offense managed a "few first downs" that would put them around their own 30 yard line.

Wouldn't you then be able to "throw the ball around" more effectively?

Cannibal 08-30-2000 06:56 PM

Actually if you look at last season, the entire gameplan when going into Baltimore and Tampa was to protect the ball when we got it deep in our zone, which is why we barely scored in either of those games in the first half. They kept running the ball and punting hoping the D would create some turnovers. I hope we've moved beyond that this year...