ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Edwards Signs! (reportedly) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133190)

Halfcan 01-06-2006 11:02 PM

Herm-please fix the Defense!!!! I don't want the rest of the Jets staff. HHH-sorry bad luck.

milkman 01-06-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommykat
Excuse me! They treated Vermiel the same way.....No one likes changes, especially here.:harumph:

No, actually the the majority was fairly positive when Dick was hired.

Only a small minority thought it was a mistake, including myself.

But KCJohhny was so adamantly opposed to the idea that he melted down before our very eyes.

His meltdown just made it appear that Dick's hire was viewed negatively to you.

D-Day 01-06-2006 11:08 PM

Henderson would be a good defensive coordinator.

milkman 01-06-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
While I think I would have preferred Saunders as the head coach, Herman Edwards is a fine choice. He's Bill Cowher, jr. not Marty Jr. He's led his teams to the playoffs 3 out of 5 times and if it hadn't been for a bad kicker (and I think we can ALL relate), he'd have been in the AFC Championship game last year.

He'll have a team that's is fundamentally sound (i.e., no more Ole'! tackling) and given CP's comments, I think we'll see the same offensive scheme employed by Vermeil.

People in Indy moaned an yawned when Dungy was hired (because he was of the same ilk as Marty) and all he's done is improve that team. I don't think we'll see the up and down years like we experienced with Vermeil (unless we get devastated by injuries like the Jets) and I think that every year, we'll have a shot to go deep in the playoffs.

While I don't want the see the return of "Martyball" or "Maul ball", I really don't think we will. That's ONE lesson that I believe that Peterson has finally learned.

Dane
~hopeful

Dungy hasn't won a SB yet.
Neither has Cowher.

Logical 01-06-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR
I've been disappointed far too often as a Chiefs fan.

This is the first big "signing" of Carl's career that I'm not all too excited about. Herm will have his supporters at the beginning. I won't be one of them.

If the guy can bring success to KC, I'll be happy to eat burned crow every day for the rest of my life as a Chiefs fan. For now, though, I'm not falling into the same trap as everyone else.

Personally success is not enough, hell technically Marty brought success, perhaps you meant a Super Bowl when you said success. I have learned to be specific around here.

Halfcan 01-06-2006 11:17 PM

My sources say it is a done deal! For a list of my secret insider sources scroll down

Newspaper
TV
Internet

VonneMarie 01-06-2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Day

OH, HELL NO!

The Bad Guy 01-06-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonneMarie
OH, HELL NO!

Uh, yes he would.

He's a very good d-coordinator.

siberian khatru 01-06-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Day

I don't know much about his scheme, I just know he's a really intense hard-ass dude. Maybe harder than Gun. Gun's like, "You guys SUCK." Henerson's like, "I'm gonna KILL y'all."

Dave Lane 01-06-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
Dungy hasn't won a SB yet.
Neither has Cowher.

The whole Marty tree is poisoned at the roots.

Dave

BigMeatballDave 01-07-2006 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chan93lx50
Hey its a win win situation for us Herminhaters.

Herm turns out to be one hell of a coach and the Chiefs kick ass and make the playoffs the next five years. That would be some damn good crow that I would gladly eat.

On the other hand he sucks monkey nuts and the coalition of Herminhators come out smelling like roses

You are correct on all accounts, but you forgot one thing. You'll sound like whiny bitches in the meantime...
:)

Red Dawg 01-07-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
I commend the move. Carl didn't waste any time. My God, Vermeil hasn't even been retired a week and Carl has already found his replacement. Edwards is a tough, no nonsense coach and I think his enthusiasm will pay off for us. Some are acting like we just signed Mike Tice for God's sake-let's keep it in perspective, Edwards knows how to coach players and motivate them.

Great response. Herm is more of a leader and motivator than any other available coach at this time. This was a good move by the pitbull.

Archie Bunker 01-07-2006 11:39 AM

Has anyone heard any reactions from the Chiefs players about the move? I am interested to hear what they think.

OldTownChief 01-07-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
GERM WARFARE MEMBERS UNITE!

Eat shit and die.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTownChief
Eat shit and die.

In time, you will call *me* master.

OldTownChief 01-07-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

In time, you will call *me* master.

I seriously doubt it. BTW who would you have coach the Chiefs?

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTownChief
I seriously doubt it. BTW who would you have coach the Chiefs?

Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, Ron Rivera, take your pick.

CHIEF4EVER 01-07-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
Who was out there as a better option?

And don't say Al Saunders. There must be something about his interview skills that really irritates general managers. The Vikings hire a guy who never has called an offense over him? I like Al a lot, but something doesn't add up.

Fassel has a better resume than Mr. 4-12 and we wouldn't have to give up a friggin draft pick for him. I like Stoops better, Ferentz too.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:08 PM

Hiring a college coach with the current team we have=bad idea.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:09 PM

The current team we have is gonna be around for what, 1 or 2 more years? I'm tired of that "We have a veteran team so we need a veteran coach" bullshit.

Ferentz would be perfect. We have a veteran team now but in a year or two we're gonna have a really young team when all the old guys retire.

Officially count me on the GERM WARFARE bandwagon. We're hiring a ****ing clone of Dick Vermiel, except he isn't even as good.. how is this a positive move?

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones
Officially count me on the GERM WARFARE bandwagon.

WELCOME ABOARD!

tk13 01-07-2006 04:11 PM

Yeah, but that's kinda the point. Herm took a veteran team in NY and ended up getting rid of most of Parcells castoffs and drafted replacements, and won with both groups... like Vilma and Dewayne Robertson, both starting safeties, etc...

Chiefs Pantalones 01-07-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

WELCOME ABOARD!

Count me in too.

If we win the SB with him, I'll GLADLY eat crow.

melbar 01-07-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, Ron Rivera, take your pick.

2 of your choices could be busts when moving to the NFL (see Spurrier who looked a heck of a lot better going into his first NFL job than Stoops or Ferentz) and Rivera hasnt head coached in the NFL (see Gunther) Edwards at least has a nice track record with inferior talent and a nice association with the current leadership.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder
Count me in too.

If we win the SB with him, I'll GLADLY eat crow.

STEP LIVELY THERE!

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Yeah, but that's kinda the point. Herm took a veteran team in NY and ended up getting rid of most of Parcells castoffs and drafted replacements, and won with both groups... like Vilma and Dewayne Robertson, both starting safeties, etc...

That is exactly my view on this aswell. Some people are just mad they didn't get their guy so they need something to bitch about.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

WELCOME ABOARD!

Mind if I use the avatar as well?

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar
2 of your choices could be busts when moving to the NFL (see Spurrier who looked a heck of a lot better going into his first NFL job than Stoops or Ferentz) and Rivera hasnt head coached in the NFL (see Gunther) Edwards at least has a nice track record with inferior talent and a nice association with the current leadership.

ROFL

So now every college coach who moves to the NFL is a bust? And every coach who has never been a head coach is a bust?

I adore your reasoning.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Mind if I use the avatar as well?

Check your PM's, recruit.

CHIEF4EVER 01-07-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
That is exactly my view on this aswell. Some people are just mad they didn't get their guy so they need something to bitch about.

I ain't mad about not getting man "x". I am pizzed at Peterson for giving up a 4th round pick that we desperately need for a coach that doesn't have as good a resume as others that are available who we could get for NO draft compensation.

VonneMarie 01-07-2006 04:20 PM

All you GERM WELFARE DOUCHES can kick rocks.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-07-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

STAND DOWN, CIVILIAN!!

VonneMarie 01-07-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder
STAND DOWN, CIVILIAN!!

Bite me buttmunch!

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Supreme Commander GoChiefs

Grand Admiral SNR

4 Star General Dave Lane

General Vanilla Thunder

Commander Saggysack

Lieutenants Chan93lx50 and Jim Jones

WE STAND UNITED!!!

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIEF4EVER
I ain't mad about not getting man "x". I am pizzed at Peterson for giving up a 4th round pick that we desperately need for a coach that doesn't have as good a resume as others that are available who we could get for NO draft compensation.

Edwards is a better coach than Jim Fassell........How often do we find impact players in the 4th round? Playing the law of averages it's not a bad move. It's a 2nd day pick for a head coach, hell Tampa gave up 2 first rounders.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-07-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Bite me buttmunch!

NEGATIVE IMPACT, I REPEAT, NEGATIVE IMPACT!!! I WILL COMBAT YOU!!!

melbar 01-07-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

ROFL

So now every college coach who moves to the NFL is a bust? And every coach who has never been a head coach is a bust?

I adore your reasoning.

Thats not my reasoning at all. I'm just saying a proven NFL Head coach with playoff experience who knows what to expect in the big leagues is better than a guy who hasnt been there and whos style may not transfer to the NFL. I'd rather not take a crap shoot with a team that is still pretty darn close. :)

VonneMarie 01-07-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Supreme Commander GoChiefs

Grand Admiral SNR

4 Star General Dave Lane

General Vanilla Thunder

Commander Saggysack

Lieutenants Chan93lx50 and Jim Jones

WE STAND UNITED AS DOUCHES!!!!

I helped you fix your post.

No thank you's will be needed.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Vilma is a great player, Robertson has decent but he was a top 5 pick so if you miss on that you really f'd up.

The only other really good pick Herm has had was Santana Moss and he never knew how to use him. Moss leaves and is now a pro bowler, some great coach eh? :banghead:

If Herm really rebuild the team then why were they one of the worst teams in the NFL? The fact is after Parcells "Castoffs" left, Herm has been shit. They got lucky last year because Martin was out of his mind.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

'm just saying a proven NFL Head coach with playoff experience who knows what to expect in the big leagues is better than a guy who hasnt been there and whos style may not transfer to the NFL.

Germ Edwards: 4-12

Nick Saban: 9-7

Nice reasoning!

tk13 01-07-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Vilma is a great player, Robertson has decent but he was a top 5 pick so if you miss on that you really f'd up.

The only other really good pick Herm has had was Santana Moss and he never knew how to use him. Moss leaves and is now a pro bowler, some great coach eh? :banghead:

If Herm really rebuild the team then why were they one of the worst teams in the NFL? The fact is after Parcells "Castoffs" left, Herm has been shit. They got lucky last year because Martin was out of his mind.

Did you even watch them? They had to play FIVE quarterbacks. If the Chiefs put James Kilian out there at QB, you think we'd even win 4 games?

Over-Head 01-07-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg
Chiefs | Edwards reportedly signed to 5-year deal
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:28:02 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have reportedly signed New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards to a five-year deal worth as much as $20 million. A press conference is tentatively scheduled for Monday, Jan. 9, to announce Edwards as the new Chiefs coach.

Wow, that AFC West crown sure will look good on you guy's next season if it's a done deal.
Wouldn't surprise me to see the Chiefs take the AFC next season.
DV seems to have gotten the team to a serious playing level. And with Edwards at the helm, it should be exciting to say the least.
Props!. You guy's are getting a great replacement for a hard set of shoes to fill. IMO

Hey AL, yo!.
Over this way,
Turn your fuggen head east
THIS IS HOW it's suposed to be done. :banghead:

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Did you even watch them? They had to play FIVE quarterbacks. If the Chiefs put James Kilian out there at QB, you think we'd even win 4 games?

Isn't it the coaches job to realize that he needs a competent backup QB? In today's NFL you can't go into the season without a backup who you feel is capable of winning games if your starter goes down. So if Hermiel wants to blame someone for having scrubs like Bollinger and Testaverde at QB, he needs to look in the mirror. ESPECIALLY considering Pennington's injury history.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

It's pretty difficult to use a downfield reciever like Moss when you have Chad Pennington at QB. If you start going downfield with Chad you're asking for a 30 INT season. It's something he just can't do well, he and Moss didn't fit well together.

I like how you guys just ignore that Herm had half his team go on IR. I bet the Chiefs would have won a whole lot of games this year with Damon Huard and Dee Brown starting most of the year. That's the equivalent to what happened to the Jets.

Color Red 01-07-2006 04:31 PM

Here's what I like about this: Peterson's MO has been to do what it takes (trade draft choices if need be) to get someone reasonably proven as HC. This instead of what we used to do, taking some quality assistant and give them a chance to be HC. That is a risky recipe. Herm has already established for himself some respectable credentials. If he shows himself now to be a top shelf HC, we're going to look back on this transaction as an absolute steal! Hey we could have been looking at some assistants or retreads, we didn't have a choice with DV retiring. My only concern is that we can keep some of the effective continuity of Trent Green in place through the remainder of his productive playing days, and any of the other old timers who stick around. That would have been why I could have liked Saunders. It would be great if guys like Roaf and Shields have enough confidence in Herm to stick around another year to see what he can do (we really aren't that far from getting into the playoffs, are we?).

If Herm can keep the continuity, continue the transition into the Larry Johnson days, bring a missing successful element to the D here quickly --he has a reputation for getting players to overachieve --we could win one for Lamar. Considering the circumstances, this is about as good a plan as we can get right now. With all respect, I think DV lost a bit of his step.. this is a great way to go. And don't forget, maybe Herm can be key to LJ's further development/maturity. With Vermeil gone, all the "take off the diaper" jazz should be gone too.

Win one for Lamar!

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

It's pretty difficult to use a downfield reciever like Moss when you have Chad Pennington at QB. If you start going downfield with Chad you're asking for a 30 INT season. It's something he just can't do well, he and Moss didn't fit well together.

ROFL ROFL

And that's why Moss had 1,100 yards and 10 TDs in 12 games after he finally got into the starting lineup.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

ROFL ROFL

And that's why Moss had 1,100 yards and 12 TDs in 12 games after he finally got into the starting lineup.

Testaverde played the majority of 2003........

CHIEF4EVER 01-07-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Edwards is a better coach than Jim Fassell

Fassell coached a team to the SB and was unfortunate that he ran into the Baltimore Ravens buzzsaw defense that year. What has Herm done the last 5 yrs? Not bashing the guy, just making a comparison.

Quote:

How often do we find impact players in the 4th round?
Jared Allen

Quote:

Playing the law of averages it's not a bad move. It's a 2nd day pick for a head coach, hell Tampa gave up 2 first rounders.
They got Guru-den. We got a coach coming off a 4-11 season with close ties to CP....too close for comfort.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to give HE the benefit of the doubt. I just think CP knew all along who he was going to get and didn't bother to examine other (possibly more viable options) before pulling the trigger and giving up the bootay on the draft pick issue.

Over-Head 01-07-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

I like how you guys just ignore that Herm had half his team go on IR. I bet the Chiefs would have won a whole lot of games this year with Damon Huard and Dee Brown starting most of the year. That's the equivalent to what happened to the Jets.

I was wondering if anyone other than me was thinking this exact same thing. :hmmm:

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Testaverde played the majority of 2003........

Wrong again. Chad played in 10 games. Testaverde played in 7.

What's more, Chad and Vinny had almost IDENTICAL stats and Chad actually averaged MORE yards per attempt.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Please, there's still ways to get him the ball. Brunell never exactly had a cannon for an arm, and especially doesn't now with his old age, and yet they still have an explosive offense.

I'm sorry but the injury excuse is BS. Yes Pennington went down and Martin missed some time.. but Pennington is injured every year and Martin is like 33 years old, and the Jets had no capable backups. Who's fault is that?

The fact you need to realize is the Jets got worse and worse under Herm. In his first year they went 10-6, followed by 9-7, then 6-10, then 10-6, then 4-12. Notice a trend here? They only went 10-6 because Curtis Martin went insane in 2004 and had one last great year before breaking down.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:36 PM

This is pointless no matter what I say some of you just won't be happy.

Jim Jones here basically saying Herms a bad coach because he doesn't have 4 Pro Bowl QB's on his roster is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen but that's his perogative.

Jim Fassell isn't more "qualified" because he went to a Superbowl. Barry Switzer won a Superbowl, you wanna hire him?

This arguement has become stupid because some people are taking this to extreme levels to just dislike Edwards. If you don't like the decision fine but the way some of you are acting is just absurd.

tk13 01-07-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Isn't it the coaches job to realize that he needs a competent backup QB? In today's NFL you can't go into the season without a backup who you feel is capable of winning games if your starter goes down. So if Hermiel wants to blame someone for having scrubs like Bollinger and Testaverde at QB, he needs to look in the mirror. ESPECIALLY considering Pennington's injury history.

I don't disagree with that. But backup does not equal five. They lost Pennington and Fiedler in the same quarter of the same game. I didn't know all NFL teams were supposed to find 5 competent quarterbacks. Nobody even carries more than 3 QB's.

Heck, I didn't realize there were 160 NFL-caliber QB's to begin with. I'd like you to tell me one NFL team that could play 5 QB's and win football games.

KCChiefsMan 01-07-2006 04:37 PM

I think I'm the only one on here that thinks Herm Edwards is a good coach

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:38 PM

Oh please, you guys know exactly what I'm talking about. I never said they needed 5 "pro bowl QB's"..but the fact is Pennington gets hurt every year and the Jets didnt even have ONE competent backup. They had 50 year old Vinny Testaverde!! Real nice job there, Hermiel.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Jim Fassell isn't more "qualified" because he went to a Superbowl.

Really?

Who do you think got the Giants to that Super Bowl?

Kerry Collins? ROFL

Fassel > Germ Edwards.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan

That speaks volumes.

D-Day 01-07-2006 04:39 PM

"If Herm really rebuild the team then why were they one of the worst teams in the NFL? The fact is after Parcells "Castoffs" left, Herm has been shit. They got lucky last year because Martin was out of his mind."

Herm never lost his players and they will go through a wall for him.

He's just not smart.

He's WAY too loyal to veterans- ie. Priest vs. LJ... and he's Marty when it comes to offense.

He's a decent coach- not great. I'm fairly skeptical to be honest.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:39 PM

If you'd really take Jim Fassell over Edwards, I see why people pull the football knowledge card on you.

tk13 01-07-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Oh please, you guys know exactly what I'm talking about. I never said they needed 5 "pro bowl QB's"..but the fact is Pennington gets hurt every year and the Jets didnt even have ONE competent backup. They had 50 year old Vinny Testaverde!! Real nice job there, Hermiel.

They had Jay Fiedler, and he got hurt right after Pennington did. They had Bollinger, signed Testaverde off the street, and then used Kliff Kingsbury for a bit when both of those other guys were hurt.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Jim Fassell isn't more "qualified" because he went to a Superbowl. Barry Switzer won a Superbowl, you wanna hire him?
It makes him a lot more qualified then a guy who's never even been a conference championship.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

If you'd really take Jim Fassell over Edwards, I see why people pull the football knowledge card on you.

I wouldn't take either of them.

Over-Head 01-07-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan

Nope, I happen to think he'd have worked out well in Oakland, I mean face it. We've been needing a coach every since Chuck left.
Calawhat?
Norv TurnOVER.
Jezz's titt's, the way AD pick's em' I'm half expecting Mariuchi to pop his head back out west.

I can't believe with what's actually out there for HC's that are any good anyone could complain having a good, Not yet "Great", but none the less solid HC replacing a well oiled Machiene that DV built. :cuss:

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:44 PM

How many teams in the league can withstand losing their starting QB for the season? Let alone 3, if you think any team could survive that you're dilluted.

melbar 01-07-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Germ Edwards: 4-12

Nick Saban: 9-7

Nice reasoning!

Edwards lost his starting QB and RB for starters. Stoops wasnt exactly brilliant last year without his DC either. Saban inherited a team that was realing the year before because of the Williams fiasco.
Look I'm not saying all college coaches are going to suck, but there are many good coaches who just cant cut it in the NFL. Erickson, Spurrier, Mackovick, and a certain USC coach. I'm not gung ho for Herm either , but of the available coaches , I think he was a pretty solid choice.

CHIEF4EVER 01-07-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

This is pointless no matter what I say some of you just won't be happy.

Apparently you misread this part of my post: Don't get me wrong, I am willing to give HE the benefit of the doubt. I just think CP knew all along who he was going to get and didn't bother to examine other (possibly more viable options) before pulling the trigger and giving up the bootay on the draft pick issue.

Quote:

C'mon man, you know as well as I do that that is a HORRIBLE comparison. Switzer took over a Cowpiles team that was already built by Jimmie Johnson. Kerry Collins sure as he** didn't coach the Giants to the SB.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Look I'm not saying all college coaches are going to suck, but there are many good coaches who just cant cut it in the NFL..

Sure. It's Carl's job to find the right one instead of hiring one of his buddies.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:45 PM

Yea man let's hire Bob Stoops who any time he's faced a team with the same talent level he's looked lost and been out coached. Yea man I'm heavily impressed by that.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Yea man let's hire Bob Stoops who any time he's faced a team with the same talent level he's looked lost and been out coached. Yea man I'm heavily impressed by that.

WHAT?

Did you even watch the OU-Oregon Bowl game?

CHIEF4EVER 01-07-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

They had Jay Fiedler, and he got hurt right after Pennington did. They had Bollinger, signed Testaverde off the street, and then used Kliff Kingsbury for a bit when both of those other guys were hurt.

That is precisely the reason I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Kirk Ferentz would have been a MUCH better hire then Hermeil. heck, I'd even take Stoops. At least he can surprise us and be great, we know what we're getting with Hermeil.. mediocrity.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

WHAT?

Did you even watch the OU-Oregon Bowl game?

Because Oregon was sporting as much talent as OKlahoma with their 4th string QB in there...... :rolleyes: Yet Oregon still nearly won the damn game.

I'm sure that also negates the total ass kickings by KSU and USC, not to mention Nick Saban making him look like a moron in that title game.

melbar 01-07-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

It makes him a lot more qualified then a guy who's never even been a conference championship.

Ya, Barry didnt inherit a great team or anything... :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Because Oregon was sporting as much talent as OKlahoma with their 4th string QB in there...... :rolleyes: Yet Oregon still nearly won the damn game.

I'm sure that also negates the total ass kickings by KSU and USC, not to mention Nick Saban making him look like a moron in that title game.

Well I don't know alot about college football, but anytime an unranked team beats a 6th-ranked team, that seems pretty damned impressive to me.

If Stoops wasn't one of the better coaches in the country then forget it.

All I know is the ONLY reason Carl hired Germ is because they are buddies. He didn't even shop around.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Ya, Barry didnt inherit a great team or anything... :rolleyes:

I was talking about Fassel.

Jim Jones 01-07-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

you win some you lose some. Those losses don't negate the countless wins over Texas, the 2001 national championship over FSU, the win over Oregon this year.

Him even getting to those title games with Jason White as his QB proves how good he is.

And i don't know why you're only talking about college coaches, there are plenty of NFL coordinators who would be better then Hermeil too.

Mecca 01-07-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Well I don't know alot about college football.

Obviously..........

KCChiefsMan 01-07-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

. Saban inherited a team that was realing the year before because of the Williams fiasco.

Miami went 9-7 which is pretty damn good for what they have

Hammock Parties 01-07-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Obviously..........

I admitted it, freely.

There was no reason for you to act like a jackass over it.

melbar 01-07-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

How many teams in the league can withstand losing their starting QB for the season? Let alone 3, if you think any team could survive that you're dilluted.

Amen.
Dont forger the running back.