ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Electronics Tesla unveil Semi, new Roadster, & also teased a "pickup truck" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311604)

aturnis 11-19-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13222987)
An electric 40 class A RV??? I am in give a Gen that will charge batts when needed and use them when not plugged in. Price: no object???

Once full autonomy is achieved, RV's will be amazing.

Go to sleep in one city, wake up in the next. Would make for a great retirement.

Bewbies 11-19-2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13223513)
Once full autonomy is achieved, RV's will be amazing.

Go to sleep in one city, wake up in the next. Would make for a great retirement.

The VW ID Buzz is a mini version of this. Want.

aturnis 11-19-2017 12:53 PM

Someone got "all up in there" on the motors and gear boxes. Guess I assumed batteries would've been distributed across entire frame.

https://youtu.be/fMctLIU1Eus

rockymtnchief 11-19-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13221242)
The logistics have to be a nightmare, but they have come a long way.

I found it pretty cool on our trip to Montana last year that we stopped in at least three gas stations that had Tesla charging stations.

One was actually being used and the car ended up passing us within an hour on the highway.

Electric motors have an advantage as they get up to rpm instantly thus the performance numbers.

Now the battery suppliers just needs to get their shit together.

All four of the stalls were being used when I went to The Fort (across from the Frosty Freeze) this morning.

eDave 11-19-2017 07:23 PM

https://i.redd.it/a3ar6o7rlzyz.jpg

DaFace 11-19-2017 09:22 PM

I'd pay money for a ride in that thing on a test track.

BWillie 11-21-2017 02:07 PM

Anybody have a Tesla Model S? I'm renting one when I'm going to Florida in a couple of weeks. Should be a blast.

Always wanted to buy one, but I'm a cheapass and can't see using that amount of funds on a depreciating asset. Plus the insurance has got to be outrageous. Was curious what the insurance runs on a used Model S with 40k miles or so?

MIAdragon 11-21-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 13221227)
Gotta charge my car then we can leave. No thanks.

It's no different than getting gas

Simply Red 11-21-2017 02:16 PM

Tesla is going out of business. They've already announced it - I didn't read the whole thread - but it's all over the web.

BWillie 11-21-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13231335)
Tesla is going out of business. They've already announced it - I didn't read the whole thread - but it's all over the web.

They used to say Amazon was an unprofitable venture and was going out of business. Now Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world. Tesla has too much Google money and other rich peoples investments to fail I think.

They are just currently not profitable and struggling to produce as many Model 3's as they hoped. They'll eventually produce enough, and they have more than enough demand to become profitable eventually and as more EV infrastructure and superchargers become available and seen by the public. Every day EV cars will become more and more acceptable, and sought after. Less Billy Bobs who want to hear their engine go vroom vroom and the smell of gas, and more nerds who care about the environment and innovative tech.

bowener 11-21-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13222970)
If someone discovers a way to recharge the battery in less than 10 minutes or creates a swap system, it's game over.

Tesla has a patent for a battery swap.

Rain Man 11-21-2017 03:22 PM

I finally broke down and bought a little Tesla stock solely due to Wal-Mart placing pre-orders on the semi. Don't tell me now that they're going out of business.

Simply Red 11-21-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13231477)
I finally broke down and bought a little Tesla stock solely due to Wal-Mart placing pre-orders on the semi. Don't tell me now that they're going out of business.

I'm looking at twelve links after lightly searching - all recent - not sure - Fake news?

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-21-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 13221292)
agreed. People dont realize the performance aspects of electric motors. It is a beautiful thing. With electric, you can get max torque right to the wheels immediately. Petrol powered cars will never be able to match the power potential of electric.

Awesome numbers on the new Roadster for sure. Absolutely my kind of car.

Now, we just need to get that tech licensed to some companies that actually know how to build a production vehicle, get the cost down to a number that working consumers can afford, and we'll be all lovely.

vailpass 11-21-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13231370)
They used to say Amazon was an unprofitable venture and was going out of business. Now Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world. Tesla has too much Google money and other rich peoples investments to fail I think.

They are just currently not profitable and struggling to produce as many Model 3's as they hoped. They'll eventually produce enough, and they have more than enough demand to become profitable eventually and as more EV infrastructure and superchargers become available and seen by the public. Every day EV cars will become more and more acceptable, and sought after. Less Billy Bobs who want to hear their engine go vroom vroom and the smell of gas, and more nerds who care about the environment and innovative tech.

They are unsustainable in their current form. If they don't figure out how to lower the price enough to be able to sell sufficient quantity and how to produce said sufficient quantity they will die or change.

aturnis 11-23-2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13231335)

Yeah. It's terrible reading the incredibly biased and I'll informed opinions of the Wall Street power brokers. Literally 9 of every 10 stories that come across the wire are negative. Give no credit for 100X growth over 5 yrs, or forcing the entire auto industry to admit defeat and invoke plans tho electrify their entire fleets by 2020.

Truth is, traditional auto makers see profit margins of around 5-7% on moist all offerings outside of trucks. Tesla enjoys 25% margins, and expect to replicate that with the Model 3.

"If they really have high margins, then why do they lose money every quarter?". Henry Ford lost bookoo bucks pouring together the supply chain for the Model T, but it had to be built in order to achieve his vision. Tesla is growing at a faster rate than Ford did btw.

Fact is, if Tesla wanted to be profitable, they would just need to stop growing. That's be fine, if you're fine with producing 100,000 cars a year, but that doesn't really move the needle does it?

aturnis 11-23-2017 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13231534)
I'm looking at twelve links after lightly searching - all recent - not sure - Fake news?

It's "Maximum" Bob Lutz spouting off at the cock garage again. It's literally all conjecture.

aturnis 11-23-2017 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13231573)
Awesome numbers on the new Roadster for sure. Absolutely my kind of car.

Now, we just need to get that tech licensed to some companies that actually know how to build a production vehicle, get the cost down to a number that working consumers can afford, and we'll be all lovely.

1/10th the cost of comparable cars isn't cheap enough for you? Give me a break.

aturnis 11-23-2017 02:00 AM

Anyways, here's the big news.

Tesla updated site to include projected costs of Semi. Current numbers are:

300 mile version: $150,000
500 mile version: $180,000
Founders series(limited run): $200,000

That's it boys. Game over. This either indicates a huge development in battery tech with great energy density gains, a huge price reduction of batteries through economies of scale due to the volume of batteries needed for Model 3, Semi and Roadster pre orders, or a leasing model for the batteries or entire drive train.

In Q3 earnings call, Musk said new battery production line #4 would have more production capacity than lines 1&2(?) combined.

Beings he said the older line versions would produce batteries at a higher rate than bullets leaving a machine gun, and you would need a strobe light to see the line in action, I doubt they have simply sped up the production. I personally think they've found a way to mass produce a new tech. Hopefully graphene.

OP updated.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/22/tesla...lectric-truck/

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-23-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13233947)
1/10th the cost of comparable cars isn't cheap enough for you? Give me a break.

Sure, brah! ****, every working man I know has 100K to throw down for a down payment on a new vehicle.

What the **** was I thinking?!?!?!

I have no idea why this car and company are such a personal thing to you, but you might want to come on out of Mr. Rodgers 'land of make believe' and do a little market research.

Hop back on the trolley, brah. Hop back on the trolley.

:shrug:

aturnis 11-23-2017 11:58 PM

You specifically commented on the Roadster.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3c058eb004.jpg

cooper barrett 11-24-2017 04:00 PM

The Tesla $150K BEV Semi that nobody will ever see.

Give us $200K up front for a cab only semi and sit back and wait..We will enjoy using your money while you look at pictures. We will b e raising sales prices, lowering payload amounts, and reevaluating cost savings projections.
While you wait you will find the Feds, states, and localities are going to raise taxes and increase restrictions on EV semis. Oh and when the batteries have to be redistributed for weight on the front axle.... you can cry about the promised range not becoming reality.

Just sounds like snake oil without all the data being developed after the fact...

As a well known Trucking author and analyst said: "If I were still in the business and needed replacement or additional trucks for short routes I would go back to the used truck market for at least the next three years. I would wait for the BEV trucks coming out over the next couple of years to prove themselves before taking the plunge, giving time for Tesla and others to build out their recharging networks.

The addition of a founder's series truck just appears to be a desperate cash grab from Musk and company."

I would suggest you buy as many "Founder's semis as your cash flow can afford, Wait for the real specs and costs to be announced and total ignore what Cummin's and others are working on.

55 Tesla Semis are all that have been tendered by $5K deposits and ZERO takers for the Founders edition At $200K for the dopisit with no set price.. I wonder why?

saphojunkie 11-24-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 13221297)
The problem is that all the other manufacturers are working on their own tech, and most don't want to pay them. I do like that they have pushed the envelope, and I'm rooting for them to get their build quality up as I like the idea of having another American car company. They are showing how hard it is to start a car company.

They have made their tech free to any other manufacturer who wants it.

cooper barrett 11-24-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 13235505)
They have made their tech free to any other manufacturer who wants it.

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com...rip=all&w=1600

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-24-2017 07:11 PM

Ugly.

As.

aturnis 11-24-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13235488)
The Tesla $150K BEV Semi that nobody will ever see.

Give us $200K up front for a cab only semi and sit back and wait..We will enjoy using your money while you look at pictures. We will b e raising sales prices, lowering payload amounts, and reevaluating cost savings projections.
While you wait you will find the Feds, states, and localities are going to raise taxes and increase restrictions on EV semis. Oh and when the batteries have to be redistributed for weight on the front axle.... you can cry about the promised range not becoming reality.

Just sounds like snake oil without all the data being developed after the fact...

Lol. Ok.

What about Tesla or any of Musks ventures gives you any reason to believe this will never exist? It's built, going through testing, it exists. It's a done deal. SUPER easy vehicle to build that could even be built by hand with decent margins. Same goes for the Roadster.

BTW, how do you know what the weight distribution is?

Quote:

As a well known Trucking author and analyst said: "If I were still in the business and needed replacement or additional trucks for short routes I would go back to the used truck market for at least the next three years. I would wait for the BEV trucks coming out over the next couple of years to prove themselves before taking the plunge, giving time for Tesla and others to build out their recharging networks.

I mean, that makes sense if you don't understand the costs of opex in logistics and their impact on final product costs. Transport is a profit 5% margin industry. She's looking for an upgrade. Surely not the guy in the semi seat, but certainly the man in the real driver's seat.

Your author doesn't seem to understand that charging will likely initially be installed at the main distribution hub where the trucks are parked at night, and at their destinations to allow charging whole unloading.

Not only that, but they'll likely continue building their own, and partnering with gas stations and truck stops to install them at existing fueling points.

As for proving themselves, LOLWUT? Electric motors are a far and away proven tech. As for the batteries, I think those too can be considered proven. A possible moot point though as the batteries might be leased to give operators peace of mind.

I spoke with a diesel mechanic friend of mine, he says he expects adoption pretty quickly as diesel is currently about as efficient as we can make it.

My dad, who used to own his own long haul trucking company, agrees. He's a hater, but seems to be bitterly impressed.

Quote:

The addition of a founder's series truck just appears to be a desperate cash grab from Musk and company."

Desperate? They do a Founders Series for every vehicle. Semis are the hardest use case of daily transport to figure out how to electrify. You figure this out, it becomes blatantly obvious that everything else is possible. No more excuses for existing industry. Hence the reason EVERYBODY has admitted defeat and is going all electric.

Quote:

I would suggest you buy as many "Founder's semis as your cash flow can afford, Wait for the real specs and costs to be announced and total ignore what Cummin's and others are working on.

I mean, I will ignore Cummins and all of their friends. So far, all they've accomplished is a Class 7 with 100 miles of range, and Daimler managed a Class 8 with 220. Not terribly compelling.

What happens when Tesla unveils the prototype for the concept rendering of their medium duty truck and eats everyone's lunch there too? All that will be left is taking down consumer trucks, which again, shouldn't be too hard.

You need to realize this is about understanding how to generate and store electricity EFFICIENTLY, and apply that tech to an inherently efficient vehicle design. Something existing industry has shown no real understanding of. The US is ESPECIALLY far behind in this regard.

Quote:

55 Tesla Semis are all that have been tendered by $5K deposits and ZERO takers for the Founders edition At $200K for the dopisit with no set price.. I wonder why?

Hold on here. Without Tesla releasing any pre-order info, where did you get these silly numbers that obviously are not grounded in reality?

We know that day one, 3 buyers reported ordering 55 semis between them. Many more also pre ordered semis that night, beings the big movers in the industry were all there to see it first hand.

Meanwhile, Tesla has reported their expected costs. With the cost being so shockingly low, I can only expect orders will go up.

With the payback for the added capex in the US under 2 years for a heavily used rig and less than a year in Canada and Europe, this is a no brainer.

Over the million miles Tesla is guaranteeing the drivetrain for, the savings from operating this truck will pay for 3 more brand new semis.

Tesla stock isn't about a car company. The stock is about the batteries and the itunes model of selling the hardware AND the music. Or the phone AND the software. Driving your own demand. In other words, selling the car, and the fuel. The big 3, and their eastern counterparts don't seem to get that either.

Hell, they resisted so hard knowing it was superior tech. For what? They didn't want to upset the apple cart for their friends in oil and the parts industries? With electrification, both of those industries are next to dead.

You should really get on board. 30% of US carbon emissions are from transport. A number easily brought down through electrification.

Cool fact, in order to drive a Model S 300 miles, it takes about the same amount of electricity as powering your house for 3-4 days. Get one or two of these in every driveway and we WILL need new baseload power. Which, beings NEW baseload capacity is MUCH cheaper to deploy with renewables than fossil fuels(cheaper than nuclear too), Tesla again stands to gain as they make solar panels AND the cheapest best performing batteries available.

DOE expected electric cars to be cheaper that their comparable ICE counterparts within 6 years, published last year(?). Tesla seems to be really early to that party.

The magic number for battery cost is $100/kWh. Based on the semi and Roadster, if Tesla isn't there already, they are CRAZY close. WAY ahead of expectations. Meanwhile, the rest of industry is still aiming for early to mid 2020's.

How on earth can you trust Wall Street mouth pieces who claimed to see no synergies between batteries, electric cars, and solar while Tesla was in the process of acquiring SolarCity? They're all a bunch of rubes. Tesla seems to progress to new victories seemingly ever other day, yet 9/10 articles about them are decidedly negative. It's pretty obvious there's a strong smear campaign being run.

"Their balance sheet, blah blah blah". This is the silicon valley business model. The Street HATES it, but only b/c it breaks their system. Add in a CEO with a value of 20 billion and a "not afraid to lose it all" mentality, I don't think we'll see Tesla sunk. Unless of course the illuminati are real, lol.

How can so many be against an American company with the most American made auto products in the world? I'll never understand it. Do you really want China to own the future?

aturnis 11-24-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13235654)
Ugly.

As.

Chinese startup(I believe), what do you expect? I've never understood why so many startups think next gen cars MUST be butt ugly.

I know why the traditional OEM's do it. Their EV and hybrids are compliance cars. Only built and offered to bring the average mpg of their fleet up above CARB State standards so their addressable market doesn't shrink. Only, as fiat, with their E500 have shown, they hate selling them b/c they lose money on each car for refusing to build out their supply chain. Solution: Make them ugly AF. Sell less. Comply. Profit.

cooper barrett 11-24-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13235654)
Ugly.

As.

BEVs, Making Camaros look like shit to Ed Begley Jr.

vailpass 11-25-2017 10:54 AM

Elon Musk fan boi sighting.

cooper barrett 11-25-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13236083)

No shit, I am sure he sold a kidney to buy stock.

Tribal Warfare 11-25-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13236107)
No shit, I am sure he sold a kidney to buy stock.

Outside of the pickup truck they look very appealing.

BWillie 11-25-2017 12:12 PM

Imma go to Florida to buy one in a 2 weeks. Can prob get a used end of 2014 Tesla Model S for $45k. Can save on avg 5-7% buying used cars in S Florida.

vailpass 11-25-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13236154)
Imma go to Florida to buy one in a 2 weeks. Can prob get a used end of 2014 Tesla Model S for $45k. Can save on avg 5-7% buying used cars in S Florida.

$45k for a four year old used car you'll have to find somewhere to plug in every 300 miles on your way home then stand around waiting for it to charge to full.

Sounds good.

BWillie 11-25-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13236165)
$45k for a four year old used car you'll have to find somewhere to plug in every 300 miles on your way home then stand around waiting for it to charge to full.

Sounds good.

Buying a new car is a fools game. Although you do get a 7.5k tax credit, but the amt of depreciation is just not worth it.

Buy new Tesla for 100k. Sell it for 50k 3 years later. And Teslas even hold their value better than most cars of this luxury class.

Oorrr buy one used for 45k. Sell it 3 years later for 30k.

As more and more superchargers become built it will be almost just like gas stations. Most of the time you arent taking your Tesla on long trips, that would be when i would use my Prius anyway so i dont put the miles on it. I understand you can charge your Tesla up to 80% in about 20 min at a supercharging station.

vailpass 11-25-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13236170)
Buying a new car is a fools game. Although you do get a 7.5k tax credit, but the amt of depreciation is just not worth it.

Buy new Tesla for 100k. Sell it for 50k 3 years later. And Teslas even hold their value better than most cars of this luxury class.

Oorrr buy one used for 45k. Sell it 3 years later for 30k.

As more and more superchargers become built it will be almost just like gas stations. Most of the time you arent taking your Tesla on long trips, that would be when i would use my Prius anyway so i dont put the miles on it. I understand you can charge your Tesla up to 80% in about 20 min at a supercharging station.

Nice. $45k used car that you don't use for road trips.

If you want to live your life never driving new vehicles that's up to you.
Vehicles are an expense not an investment. Tesla is a good example of that. It would take you several lifetimes to recoup the money you save on gas from the purchase price of a tesla. But you're a Prius driver so you're familiar with that concept.

BWillie 11-25-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13236187)
Nice. $45k used car that you don't use for road trips.

If you want to live your life never driving new vehicles that's up to you.
Vehicles are an expense not an investment. Tesla is a good example of that. It would take you several lifetimes to recoup the money you save on gas from the purchase price of a tesla. But you're a Prius driver so you're familiar with that concept.

Of course they are an expense but you can mitigate the expense by buying used. Electric cars are eventually going to make the cost of ownership go way down for car owners once the infrastructure gets rolled out and as more ppl adopt them. Tesla is just the 1st step. The gas savings clearly isnt why ppl buy Teslas but its kind of icing on the cake type of deal. No oil changes. Brakes usually last 100k+ miles. Low maintenance costs

notorious 11-25-2017 01:34 PM

New vehicle purchases are hugely advantageous to a business owner.

I save a shitload in tax money, and over the 2-3 year life of owning it will be damn near the same cost as buying used only without the headaches.

Give me an electric pickup that has the same torque and range as a diesel and I'm game.

cooper barrett 11-25-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13236229)
New vehicle purchases are hugely advantageous to a business owner.

I save a shitload in tax money, and over the 2-3 year life of owning it will be damn near the same cost as buying used only without the headaches.

Give me an electric pickup that has the same torque and range as a diesel and I'm game.

I haven't done a company vehicle for quite some time, I write off the mileage or take expenses, I get the same mileage write on a used vehicle as a new one and unless something has changed, expenses are done the same on used also.

What's the benefit of buying new and trading it in to be able to write another one off.

I know you're in a service business so 95% of your miles are expensed...

I always had a work truck and a business car, business car was almost always a 2 year old AMG thus not taking the depreciation hit while still under a MB service policy.

Buehler445 11-25-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13236502)
I haven't done a company vehicle for quite some time, I write off the mileage or take expenses, I get the same mileage write on a used vehicle as a new one and unless something has changed, expenses are done the same on used also.

What's the benefit of buying new and trading it in to be able to write another one off.

I know you're in a service business so 95% of your miles are expensed...

I always had a work truck and a business car, business car was almost always a 2 year old AMG thus not taking the depreciation hit while still under a MB service policy.

He’s probably referring to bonus depreciation that you don’t get with used. That would benefit him if he doesn’t keep it for the 5 year life.

I’m on the other end. My position is industry standard is the business provides agronomists and managers a vehicle that they also drive to and from work. So I’m taking 100% of the bastard and the corporation pays repairs. I’m not dicking around with mileage logs, percentages, allocations, goddamned cluster**** rocket science equations to calculate a couple thousand dollars gain when you trade the ****er off.

Not this ****ing guy. Corporation owns the pickup per industry standard. No sense making something simple complicated to the sake of the IRS.

stevieray 11-25-2017 05:47 PM

Porsche

Valiant 11-25-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13235707)
Lol. Ok.

What about Tesla or any of Musks ventures gives you any reason to believe this will never exist? It's built, going through testing, it exists. It's a done deal. SUPER easy vehicle to build that could even be built by hand with decent margins. Same goes for the Roadster.

BTW, how do you know what the weight distribution is?

I mean, that makes sense if you don't understand the costs of opex in logistics and their impact on final product costs. Transport is a profit 5% margin industry. She's looking for an upgrade. Surely not the guy in the semi seat, but certainly the man in the real driver's seat.

Your author doesn't seem to understand that charging will likely initially be installed at the main distribution hub where the trucks are parked at night, and at their destinations to allow charging whole unloading.

Not only that, but they'll likely continue building their own, and partnering with gas stations and truck stops to install them at existing fueling points.

As for proving themselves, LOLWUT? Electric motors are a far and away proven tech. As for the batteries, I think those too can be considered proven. A possible moot point though as the batteries might be leased to give operators peace of mind.

I spoke with a diesel mechanic friend of mine, he says he expects adoption pretty quickly as diesel is currently about as efficient as we can make it.

My dad, who used to own his own long haul trucking company, agrees. He's a hater, but seems to be bitterly impressed.

Desperate? They do a Founders Series for every vehicle. Semis are the hardest use case of daily transport to figure out how to electrify. You figure this out, it becomes blatantly obvious that everything else is possible. No more excuses for existing industry. Hence the reason EVERYBODY has admitted defeat and is going all electric.

I mean, I will ignore Cummins and all of their friends. So far, all they've accomplished is a Class 7 with 100 miles of range, and Daimler managed a Class 8 with 220. Not terribly compelling.

What happens when Tesla unveils the prototype for the concept rendering of their medium duty truck and eats everyone's lunch there too? All that will be left is taking down consumer trucks, which again, shouldn't be too hard.

You need to realize this is about understanding how to generate and store electricity EFFICIENTLY, and apply that tech to an inherently efficient vehicle design. Something existing industry has shown no real understanding of. The US is ESPECIALLY far behind in this regard.

Hold on here. Without Tesla releasing any pre-order info, where did you get these silly numbers that obviously are not grounded in reality?

We know that day one, 3 buyers reported ordering 55 semis between them. Many more also pre ordered semis that night, beings the big movers in the industry were all there to see it first hand.

Meanwhile, Tesla has reported their expected costs. With the cost being so shockingly low, I can only expect orders will go up.

With the payback for the added capex in the US under 2 years for a heavily used rig and less than a year in Canada and Europe, this is a no brainer.

Over the million miles Tesla is guaranteeing the drivetrain for, the savings from operating this truck will pay for 3 more brand new semis.

Tesla stock isn't about a car company. The stock is about the batteries and the itunes model of selling the hardware AND the music. Or the phone AND the software. Driving your own demand. In other words, selling the car, and the fuel. The big 3, and their eastern counterparts don't seem to get that either.

Hell, they resisted so hard knowing it was superior tech. For what? They didn't want to upset the apple cart for their friends in oil and the parts industries? With electrification, both of those industries are next to dead.

You should really get on board. 30% of US carbon emissions are from transport. A number easily brought down through electrification.

Cool fact, in order to drive a Model S 300 miles, it takes about the same amount of electricity as powering your house for 3-4 days. Get one or two of these in every driveway and we WILL need new baseload power. Which, beings NEW baseload capacity is MUCH cheaper to deploy with renewables than fossil fuels(cheaper than nuclear too), Tesla again stands to gain as they make solar panels AND the cheapest best performing batteries available.

DOE expected electric cars to be cheaper that their comparable ICE counterparts within 6 years, published last year(?). Tesla seems to be really early to that party.

The magic number for battery cost is $100/kWh. Based on the semi and Roadster, if Tesla isn't there already, they are CRAZY close. WAY ahead of expectations. Meanwhile, the rest of industry is still aiming for early to mid 2020's.

How on earth can you trust Wall Street mouth pieces who claimed to see no synergies between batteries, electric cars, and solar while Tesla was in the process of acquiring SolarCity? They're all a bunch of rubes. Tesla seems to progress to new victories seemingly ever other day, yet 9/10 articles about them are decidedly negative. It's pretty obvious there's a strong smear campaign being run.

"Their balance sheet, blah blah blah". This is the silicon valley business model. The Street HATES it, but only b/c it breaks their system. Add in a CEO with a value of 20 billion and a "not afraid to lose it all" mentality, I don't think we'll see Tesla sunk. Unless of course the illuminati are real, lol.

How can so many be against an American company with the most American made auto products in the world? I'll never understand it. Do you really want China to own the future?

What scares my company most is the power. Those trucks could have the product all over the road if the trucker romps on it. Bonus is as tech goes forward driverless saves on cost.

Also bonus of these are pollution regulations that keep changing especially in California.

DaFace 11-25-2017 06:11 PM

Much like the current cars, one of the fascinating parts of this will be all of the things they start adding that haven't been around before - even after purchase. I have to imagine assisted driving and backing will be coming, for example.

If too much acceleration becomes an issue, I bet a software option with company control would take care of it.

cooper barrett 11-25-2017 06:16 PM

It does not have to be new to take "section 179" as long as its a HD truck and is used 50% for business. Bonus is only for new but you would have to be buying a small SUV to capture it. On a small truck/ suv the 179 is capped at 25K and bonus on a new vs used would be $10K Trucks over 6Klbs are 100% write off new or used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13236566)
He’s probably referring to bonus depreciation that you don’t get with used. That would benefit him if he doesn’t keep it for the 5 year life.

I’m on the other end. My position is industry standard is the business provides agronomists and managers a vehicle that they also drive to and from work. So I’m taking 100% of the bastard and the corporation pays repairs. I’m not dicking around with mileage logs, percentages, allocations, goddamned cluster**** rocket science equations to calculate a couple thousand dollars gain when you trade the ****er off.

Not this ****ing guy. Corporation owns the pickup per industry standard. No sense making something simple complicated to the sake of the IRS.

Buehler445 11-25-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13236678)
It does not have to be new to take "section 179" as long as its a HD truck and is used 50% for business. Bonus is only for new but you would have to be buying a small SUV to capture it. On a small truck/ suv the 179 is capped at 25K and bonus on a new vs used would be $10K Trucks over 6Klbs are 100% write off new or used.

Bonus depreciation is different than 179.

I’m not going to speak to notorious’ tax planning but you asked the difference between new and used and bonus depreciation is the difference.

cooper barrett 11-25-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13236717)
Bonus depreciation is different than 179.

I’m not going to speak to notorious’ tax planning but you asked the difference between new and used and bonus depreciation is the difference.

TY

I need to look at section 179 and bonus together for equipment vehicles,

notorious 11-25-2017 07:20 PM

Here you go: https://www.google.com/amp/www.marke...3-88734B7705AA

notorious 11-25-2017 07:32 PM

My pickup cost around 59k after sales tax. That saves me around 15k+in federal taxes in 2 years. It goes beyond just federal income tax too. Drops income lower so that health insurance is (was, now) cheaper, etc.

I get a brand new 59k truck for essentially 44k, trade in for $35-37k at a $6-8k total loss. That's pretty awesome for a truck with 65-70k miles when I'm done.

I could have bought a Chevy Diesel 2500 with 170k miles for $20k, no warranty, pay for repairs, and been stuck with an unsellable truck after 2 years. I would have lost way more than 6-7k over 2 years with it. Also, I got to drive a new, badass vehicle for the 2 years instead of a 10 year old vehicle.

That's why you see guys driving new pickups every year.

cooper barrett 11-25-2017 09:55 PM

yeah if it is a heavy work truck you get a 59K deduction dropping your earnings that much, It you are in a moderate tax bracket 28% + 15.3 you just saved $25K in fed and fica,(ss) payments.

If I buy a used truck w/ 6' bed that is 2 years old for $30K I get to write that much off also saving 29K and at 28% plus FICA or 13K totalizing 42K plus I get lower insurance, property taxes, and still get mileage or expense deduction.

I like it, I didn't really run the numbers as to new vs used, but I think I see a 4 door truck with a 6 ft bed in my future. I always wanted a an El Camino SS

Buehler445 11-25-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13237022)
yeah if it is a heavy work truck you get a 59K deduction dropping your earnings that much, It you are in a moderate tax bracket 28% + 15.3 you just saved $25K in fed and fica,(ss) payments.

If I buy a used truck w/ 6' bed that is 2 years old for $30K I get to write that much off also saving 29K and at 28% plus FICA or 13K totalizing 42K plus I get lower insurance, property taxes, and still get mileage or expense deduction.

I like it, I didn't really run the numbers as to new vs used, but I think I see a 4 door truck with a 6 ft bed in my future. I always wanted a an El Camino SS

Eh. Do what works for you.

All the tax numbers are one thing but you still gotta write the check. Tax accountants give no ****s about cash flow. Many a mother****ers get strung on cash flow deficiencies.

cooper barrett 11-25-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13237061)

All the tax numbers are one thing but you still gotta write the check. Tax accountants give no ****s about cash flow. Many a mother****ers get strung on cash flow deficiencies.

I just never thought or knew about section 179 and vehicle restriction rules and what could be written off with 100% first year depreciation vs 5 years for a car or SUV. Too bad an El Camino only weighs 3200lbs when to be considered a truck it has to be 6000lb+.

Thanks for sending me that direction,

notorious 11-26-2017 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13237061)

You saved so much on your taxes last year by buying new gear, NOW PAY FOR THE ONE YEAR OLD GREEN PAINT!!!!

aturnis 11-26-2017 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13236083)

Naw. I'm just smart enough to ignore Wall Street. Those nerds missed on Amazon b/c they couldn't get out of their own way and realize the strength technology brings to the table.

Have you looked at the gains made in batteries and solar over the last 5, hell, even 2.5 years?

Now realize that Tesla has the auto industry flailing to catch up after they all downsized to the point of having essentially zero electrical engineering in house, opting instead to focus on making engines with a fast approaching ceiling "better". Enter dieselgate.

Facts are, the auto industry all buy from the same parts manufacturers and basically just assemble parts off the shelf. They own the engine, but that's about it.

The investment to catch up is much larger than they assumed. Don't believe me, just ask Porsche CFO Lutz Meschke. https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-mi...le-investment/

To add to their ire, none of them know anything about software. Ford a bit with Sync and MAYBE GM has a partner with investment in Lyft, but both are essentially on the bench. That's why all auto systems UI suck so badly. It's developed by the parts supplier to "work". It's a bigger distraction on the road than Teslas giant screens. By a long shot.

Musk has a giant advantage there in that he owns 2 of the most attractive companies in the world to software programmers and software engineers as well as engineers at large.
https://www.recode.net/2017/10/26/16...s-tech-workers

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryn...dents-in-2016/

These guys missed on Apple, Google, Amazon, Nvidia, Broadcom, IBM, Netflix, Adobe etc. Anything they haven't seen before, they believe is a fad, a bubble or they explain it away some other way. They're old, out of touch and don't care about the future they won't be around for. Short term investors scoffing at long term potential. It's criminal what they do to investors.

So when it's cheaper to buy an EV than an ICE car, and cheaper to add solar to your house than to pay the electric bill every month, are you still going to throw good money after bad? Mind you the two together represent a $6,000+ annual savings plus energy independence for the average 2 adult household. Not to mention the equity the solar system adds to your property.

Both of these things will happen, without subsidy by 2027 at the latest. Prices are falling FAST.

Now that nearly half the world's populations representative governments have set dates for ICE car sales death, and forced the auto industry at large into the battery electric arena against their will, investment in battery research is skyrocketing.

There's absolutely a Moore's law for everything. Now, with bigger investment in research, the investment/progress timeline for batteries is accelerating.

aturnis 11-26-2017 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 13236606)
Porsche

Is getting spanked by Tesla. Panamera sales hurt badly by $la. Hence the reason they're going all electric.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/11/1...ar-lineup-2030

Buehler445 11-26-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13237123)
You saved so much on your taxes last year by buying new gear, NOW PAY FOR THE ONE YEAR OLD GREEN PAINT!!!!

There aren’t 179 limits on farm equipment. It’s just vehicles. Because fraud. Nobody is buying their wife an articulated 4 wheel drive to pick their kids up from school.

Besides that. Most BRAND NEW Deere shit would max out the 179 limits anyway. ****ing Deere.

It’s going to be one hell of a long time before I can buy any factory Deere paint. Someone else has to knock the new off (and the good in most cases) before I’m going to have it.

Perineum Ripper 11-26-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13237277)
There aren’t 179 limits on farm equipment. It’s just vehicles. Because fraud. Nobody is buying their wife an articulated 4 wheel drive to pick their kids up from school.

Besides that. Most BRAND NEW Deere shit would max out the 179 limits anyway. ****ing Deere.

It’s going to be one hell of a long time before I can buy any factory Deere paint. Someone else has to knock the new off (and the good in most cases) before I’m going to have it.

Here these are better than those nasty green things anyway

http://blog.caseih.com/wp-content/up...teiger-600.jpg

Buehler445 11-26-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13237292)
Here these are better than those nasty green things anyway

http://blog.caseih.com/wp-content/up...teiger-600.jpg

We talked about running some red. Problem is I’m 5 miles from the Deere outfit and 50 from the nearest red outfit. About the 10,000th time I kill an hour to go get some damn special bolt only to hear “I can have it here Monday”. I’d flip my shit.

Perineum Ripper 11-26-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13237353)
We talked about running some red. Problem is I’m 5 miles from the Deere outfit and 50 from the nearest red outfit. About the 10,000th time I kill an hour to go get some damn special bolt only to hear “I can have it here Monday”. I’d flip my shit.

That’s the same problem we run into on our farm. Deere is about 45 min away and Red is 2 hours..been lucky so far and only needed to make 1 trip to the dealer for parts. We called ahead to make sure they had them first

notorious 11-26-2017 09:25 AM

I am surprised you can fix anything on the new rigs. Even the bolts probably have computers going to them.

Buehler445 11-26-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13237388)
That’s the same problem we run into on our farm. Deere is about 45 min away and Red is 2 hours..been lucky so far and only needed to make 1 trip to the dealer for parts. We called ahead to make sure they had them first

Holy shit. I give the parts counter a lot of business. One year we had a guy working for us that was a good mechanic and we let him do some annual inspection stuff. I didn’t feel like we did a lot on anything in particular except quite a few wear parts on the combine.

Then later on the CSR comes out carrying this crap knife set that the coop gives out for patronage gifts and says we were a top 10 parts customer. He was trying to make a big deal about it. And I get it. He’s trying to reward his loyal customers or whatever. But damn all I could think was, “congrats Buehler. You got the junk equipment award.” :Lin:

I can’t imagine what we would have had if we shelled a hydro or something. I think the only things we tore up were a driveshaft on a cornhead and a gearbox on a mower. The rest were wear parts!

notorious 11-26-2017 11:44 AM

Top 10 parts customer is one of those awards you really don't want. LMAO

"Thanks for your tens of thousands of dollars of business. Here is a POS knife set to show our appreciation".

https://cdn.business2community.com/w...0x211.jpeg.jpg

Perineum Ripper 11-26-2017 11:48 AM

As soon as he would of said top 10 in parts and had a shitty knife set to give me

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120719042840

ghak99 05-11-2018 10:13 PM

...... ya, about that semi.

Buehler445 05-11-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 13554408)
...... ya, about that semi.

What about it. Did I miss something?

cooper barrett 05-12-2018 05:32 AM

I don't give away knives, I bet Oprah does.

Getting things in order is tough especially when you slack off on the PM but the big question is "did you keep the knives?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13237648)
Holy shit. I give the parts counter a lot of business. One year we had a guy working for us that was a good mechanic and we let him do some annual inspection stuff. I didn’t feel like we did a lot on anything in particular except quite a few wear parts on the combine.

Then later on the CSR comes out carrying this crap knife set that the coop gives out for patronage gifts and says we were a top 10 parts customer. He was trying to make a big deal about it. And I get it. He’s trying to reward his loyal customers or whatever. But damn all I could think was, “congrats Buehler. You got the junk equipment award.” :Lin:

I can’t imagine what we would have had if we shelled a hydro or something. I think the only things we tore up were a driveshaft on a cornhead and a gearbox on a mower. The rest were wear parts!

Buehler445 05-12-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13554496)

Getting things in order is tough especially when you slack off on the PM but the big question is "did you keep the knives?"

I gave them to dad. And the answer is probably yes. They keep everything

Buehler445 05-12-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13554496)

Oh. And that’s largely what it was - preventative maintinence. We didn’t tear up much shit so it was almost all wear parts.

aturnis 05-12-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13554429)
What about it. Did I miss something?

Tesla is the most shorted stock on the market. Short sellers are losing their asses. So naturally, Wall Street, in an attempt to help out their buddies, write mostly negative articles about the company. They can turn literally anything into a negative, even positives. It's largely why Musk got pissed at some of the questions in the last quarterly conference call. Short seller investors kept asking the same financial questions that were answered in the financial report handed to them earlier in the day.

These "reports" about the Tesla Semi program "being dead", are based off of one Amateur financial analysts symptom, based off of the fact that the Semi was largely ignored in the conference call. https://www.google.com/amp/s/seeking...esla-semi-dead

The guy is the literal definition of hack, as are 90%+ of the writers over at Seeking Alpha. Nevermind that the entire focus of every investor on the call was Model 3 production, but it's also been the sole focus of Tesla for almost a year now. Using this guys logic, the Roadster, S and X, Energy Storage, Solar cells and pickup are all dead projects as well.

The Semi project is very much alive. In fact, Musk said in that very quarterly earnings call that they'd likely beat their 500 miles range promise and should be close to 600 miles per charge.

The guy also focuses on the fact that they "only" have 2000 Semi preorders. Completely ignoring the fact that an industry he himself calls "extremely conservative" is going to tread lightly with new tech, and will want to test internally extensively before making major investments.

That said, some large buyers who have been a part of testing the early prototypes say that their number crunchers believe that the truck will pay itself off in under 2 years.

The only real concern with the program is how Tesla will distribute the charging infrastructure necessary throughout the country and world.

Personally, I think that won't be nearly the problem some make it out to be. I think those investing in the trucks will see the financial advantages of installing solar and storage along with charging infrastructure directly at their own facilities. Given Nearly 80 percent of freight in the U.S. is*moved less than 250 miles. The average length-of-haul in the trucking industry has dropped from about 800 miles 15 years ago to about 500 miles last year, according to the American Trucking Associations, a result of port expansions nationwide and the e-commerce boom. So a wholly owned charging solution should suit most customers.

DaFace 05-12-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13554573)
Tesla is the most shorted stock on the market. Short sellers are losing their asses. So naturally, Wall Street, in an attempt to help out their buddies, write mostly negative articles about the company. They can turn literally anything into a negative, even positives. It's largely why Musk got pissed at some of the questions in the last quarterly conference call. Short seller investors kept asking the same financial questions that were answered in the financial report handed to them earlier in the day.

These "reports" about the Tesla Semi program "being dead", are based off of one Amateur financial analysts symptom, based off of the fact that the Semi was largely ignored in the conference call. https://www.google.com/amp/s/seeking...esla-semi-dead

The guy is the literal definition of hack, as are 90%+ of the writers over at Seeking Alpha. Nevermind that the entire focus of every investor on the call was Model 3 production, but it's also been the sole focus of Tesla for almost a year now. Using this guys logic, the Roadster, S and X, Energy Storage, Solar cells and pickup are all dead projects as well.

The Semi project is very much alive. In fact, Musk said in that very quarterly earnings call that they'd likely beat their 500 miles range promise and should be close to 600 miles per charge.

The guy also focuses on the fact that they "only" have 2000 Semi preorders. Completely ignoring the fact that an industry he himself calls "extremely conservative" is going to tread lightly with new tech, and will want to test internally extensively before making major investments.

That said, some large buyers who have been a part of testing the early prototypes say that their number crunchers believe that the truck will pay itself off in under 2 years.

The only real concern with the program is how Tesla will distribute the charging infrastructure necessary throughout the country and world.

Personally, I think that won't be nearly the problem some make it out to be. I think those investing in the trucks will see the financial advantages of installing solar and storage along with charging infrastructure directly at their own facilities. Given Nearly 80 percent of freight in the U.S. is*moved less than 250 miles. The average length-of-haul in the trucking industry has dropped from about 800 miles 15 years ago to about 500 miles last year, according to the American Trucking Associations, a result of port expansions nationwide and the e-commerce boom. So a wholly owned charging solution should suit most customers.

I have to imagine that the first buyers will be companies that have short routes that can basically just haul every day and charge every night. That should be pretty easy to implement and prove the concept. As e-trucks (Can we call them ETs to contrast with EVs? That would be fun.) become more common, the highway infrastructure will adapt as needed.

Trucking companies have a TON of reasons to try and reduce fuel costs, so it won't be hard to get the capital investments to work once the concept is proven.

listopencil 05-12-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13235707)
Tesla again stands to gain as they make solar panels AND the cheapest best performing batteries available.

Wait, hold on, I thought Tesla used 18650's (or similar) that were made by other companies?

Buehler445 05-12-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13554587)
I have to imagine that the first buyers will be companies that have short routes that can basically just haul every day and charge every night. That should be pretty easy to implement and prove the concept. As e-trucks (Can we call them ETs to contrast with EVs? That would be fun.) become more common, the highway infrastructure will adapt as needed.

Trucking companies have a TON of reasons to try and reduce fuel costs, so it won't be hard to get the capital investments to work once the concept is proven.

Maintainence will be the driver on the trucks. Yeah, fuel is expensive but so is downtime and parts. And quite frankly the amount of torque applied through the system is so much higher to haul 85,000 as opposed to 2000 there is a lot of testing they need to do.

DaFace 05-12-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13554594)
Wait, hold on, I thought Tesla used 18650's (or similar) that were made by other companies?

Maybe back in the day. They make their own these days (or at least they're working toward that).

listopencil 05-12-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13554604)
Maybe back in the day. They make their own these days (or at least they're working toward that).

I'm digging around and it looks like Panasonic makes 18650's for Tesla.

DaFace 05-12-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13554618)
I'm digging around and it looks like Panasonic makes 18650's for Tesla.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're still buying a lot from outside suppliers for now while they try and ramp up production. In the long run, they want to make all of them in these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-12-2018 01:17 PM

Maybe Musk will one day wake up and begin manufacturing products that people want.

Bewbies 05-12-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claysexual (Post 13554737)
Maybe Musk will one day wake up and begin manufacturing products that people want.

I get not like Tesla, and I get people thinking Musk is an idiot.

But the Model 3 is the most desired car of all time. As in the history of the world. Clearly people want what he's making.

GloucesterChief 05-12-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13554747)
I get not like Tesla, and I get people thinking Musk is an idiot.

But the Model 3 is the most desired car of all time. As in the history of the world. Clearly people want what he's making.

I would like it if Musk would stop sucking at the government teat and see if his business would survive then.

vailpass 05-12-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13554782)
I would like it if Musk would stop sucking at the government teat and see if his business would survive then.

They’d close their doors tomorrow. He’s a generational idea man but needs to leave the implementation and manufacturing to people that know how to do it.

DaFace 05-12-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13554782)

Once oil subsidies are removed, you might have a point.

GloucesterChief 05-12-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13554803)
Once oil subsidies are removed, you might have a point.

There are no oil subsidies unless you are talking about the deductions that every business can take. Also, that fact that mineral resource accounting is a lot different from regular accounting.

DaFace 05-12-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13554795)
They’d close their doors tomorrow. He’s a generational idea man but needs to leave the implementation and manufacturing to people that know how to do it.

You realize that he had stepped back to let another guy lead the ramp up, right? And that, after he took back over a couple months ago they seem to be back on track?