ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012 Kansas Football Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253033)

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153584)
Okay - another legitimate question - is there any actual animus towards him?

For instance, I think Herm's a dolt of a head coach, but a legitimately nice guy. He was a guy that I really wanted to see succeed but damn if he couldn't just stay out of his own way.

KU fans seem to hate Gill right now, and I suppose with good reason. But is he the kind of guy you really want to essentially expunge from existence? I mean it's not like he Quin Snydered you fellas or anything. He didn't bring in a bunch of women beaters and rapists, didn't do coke, put you on probation or nail a player's girlfriend. If nothing else, he was a damn fine representative for your program. Does that spare him any barbs here or is it pretty much just raw, unadulterated hate?

There just seems to be a lot of personal venom towards Gill. I know he was a shitty coach, but damn, he didn't go all Sandusky or anything.

I think you are spot on, DJ. Right now there is a sense of anger because of the losing and uncompetitiveness. I don't dislike the guy by any means, most KU people would say the same thing if they were speaking without immediate emotion. I do like Gill and think he will be successful somewhere in this world. However, Coaching high level competitive football (as a head coach) is not going to be that path to greatness. He simply does not have the driven values for winning that there needs to be, in my opinion.

In time all that hate will subside, and people will chuckle, point and make fun of him much like we do Herm.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 8153641)
Saw on NBC41 sports last night where one alumni was putting up $800,000 towards the buyout. I had the volume turned down, but they had an interview with him... and they had in words across the bottom that he was putting up that much of his cash.

I wish I had an extra $800,000 lying around that I could buy out a football coach.

Coogs 11-29-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153652)
I wish I had an extra $800,000 lying around that I could buy out a football coach.

No doubt

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153634)
I was legitimately curious where the money came from - I believed it was donors, but wasn't sure.

It can be, that is the business side of it that the AD and university has to work out on a case by case basis.

In this case, i believe the majority is going to be backed by the new Television revenue... simply because Zenger had enough and wasn't going to wait to get the full backing.

Saul Good 11-29-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153597)
Wow - Gill must have a hell of an agent.

I wonder if it's a reduced amount at least; the time value of several million dollars that would've been earned over another 3 years is pretty significant. If he's getting the same amount and getting it all up front, he's cornholing you guys. Besides, if he gets another job, that would offset the amount he would technically be owed (mitigating the damages). As such, KU would be entitled to reduce the entire balance by whatever he earned. If he already has that in hand, KU now has to go through the process of getting it back from him.

I'll be honest, that kinda seems unlikely, but I guess it's not impossible. Did they negotiate a reduced buyout with him? Because that would make more sense at that point. He'd have more leverage to demand it within 90 days and he'd have more incentive to go out and find a new job.

Everything I have read says. That the full amount, just over $6 million, is due in 90 days. It was a horrendous contract for the University.

A lot of that money will come from boosters, but that's still less booster money that can be available elsewhere. Its hard enough for Kansas to get football money to begin with. Asking for millions not to hire a stud, but to FIRE a loser, is a bitter pill.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 12:34 PM

Maybe someone to follow throughout this ordeal:

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tal...828-am-a-deep/

11:47 a.m. Update:
I've said this on various radio shows and podcasts but it just hit me that I may not have written it here. Based on what I've been able to gather, here's the way I see the timing of this whole search going.

Because of his past connections with him, as well as Mike Leach's sterling resume, KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger knows exactly what he's got in Leach as a candidate. I believe that's where he sets the bar.

With that in mind, he'll do his due diligence here and make sure that he gets the absolute best hire for Kansas in all areas — fit, finances, feel and fan support, among other things.

I haven't been able to nail down the number yet but it's looking like Zenger will interview between 3-5 other candidates during the next 3-5 days. He'll give each one a fair shake and each one will be seriously considered. He'll then see how closely each candidate comes to reaching the bar set by Leach.

If someone reaches that same level or perhaps even surpasses it, that could very well be the next head coach at Kansas. Depending on who it is — if anyone reaches that level — going that direction could save KU money and eliminate the "risk" that many believe comes with hiring Leach.

If none of the "other candidates" reach that level, then I think Zenger's decision is made for him and Leach is the guy.

I'd expect the interviews to take place throughout the week, possibly even into Sunday and Monday. And then I'd expect that a hire may be made sometime mid-to-late next week.

Again, this is just my read on the situation and it is based off of the information I've gotten from a number of different sources.

Leach is a hot commodity and there are a lot of schools going after him, so if he is the guy Zenger ultimately wants and things get hot elsewhere, the time frame could change quickly and this thing could be over sooner.

As for who the other candidates who will get interviews might be.... that's
the mystery. Mark Stoops and Larry Fedora seem likely, Brent Venables is a possibility and there may even be a name or two who hasn't been talked about much by those following this thing.

Time will tell. Stay tuned..

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 12:40 PM

If Venebales would even consider coming to KU he would immediately become my favorite ahead of Fedora.

Saul Good 11-29-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153712)
Maybe someone to follow throughout this ordeal:

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tal...828-am-a-deep/

11:47 a.m. Update:
I've said this on various radio shows and podcasts but it just hit me that I may not have written it here. Based on what I've been able to gather, here's the way I see the timing of this whole search going.

Because of his past connections with him, as well as Mike Leach's sterling resume, KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger knows exactly what he's got in Leach as a candidate. I believe that's where he sets the bar.

With that in mind, he'll do his due diligence here and make sure that he gets the absolute best hire for Kansas in all areas — fit, finances, feel and fan support, among other things.

I haven't been able to nail down the number yet but it's looking like Zenger will interview between 3-5 other candidates during the next 3-5 days. He'll give each one a fair shake and each one will be seriously considered. He'll then see how closely each candidate comes to reaching the bar set by Leach.

If someone reaches that same level or perhaps even surpasses it, that could very well be the next head coach at Kansas. Depending on who it is — if anyone reaches that level — going that direction could save KU money and eliminate the "risk" that many believe comes with hiring Leach.

If none of the "other candidates" reach that level, then I think Zenger's decision is made for him and Leach is the guy.

I'd expect the interviews to take place throughout the week, possibly even into Sunday and Monday. And then I'd expect that a hire may be made sometime mid-to-late next week.

Again, this is just my read on the situation and it is based off of the information I've gotten from a number of different sources.

Leach is a hot commodity and there are a lot of schools going after him, so if he is the guy Zenger ultimately wants and things get hot elsewhere, the time frame could change quickly and this thing could be over sooner.

As for who the other candidates who will get interviews might be.... that's
the mystery. Mark Stoops and Larry Fedora seem likely, Brent Venables is a possibility and there may even be a name or two who hasn't been talked about much by those following this thing.

Time will tell. Stay tuned..

The tone of that post was dumb. If Leach visits, KU won't be interviewing Leach. Leach will be interviewing KU. This guy makes it sound like Leach has to hope that KU can't find a better candidate. In reality, KU has to hope that Leach doesn't get a better offer.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8153798)
The tone of that post was dumb. If Leach visits, KU won't be interviewing Leach. Leach will be interviewing KU. This guy makes it sound like Leach has to hope that KU can't find a better candidate. In reality, KU has to hope that Leach doesn't get a better offer.

Eh, I guess you could take it like that. I took it as Leach was "the standard" by which other potential coaches would be measured.

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

I read it the opposite - that KU is acknowledging that Leach is clearly the guy they want. At the same time, they'll give a few other candidates a chance to match him.

It seemed to be like a concession that they'd love to have Leach, but should probably have a plan B in the pipe.

Fritz88 11-29-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

That writer and the likes of him make KU fans look like shit.

Fritz88 11-29-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153879)
I read it the opposite - that KU is acknowledging that Leach is clearly the guy they want. At the same time, they'll give a few other candidates a chance to match him.

It seemed to be like a concession that they'd love to have Leach, but should probably have a plan B in the pipe.

Nothing official that Leach is the favorite. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even considered and they decide to go after Mr nice guy with little to no potential over the controversial Leach.

Brock 11-29-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8153944)
Nothing official that Leach is the favorite. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even considered and they decide to go after Mr nice guy with little to no potential over the controversial Leach.

I hope not. They already tried that.

Fritz88 11-29-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8153954)
I hope not. They already tried that.

The problem is that if the donors dictate that they don't a trouble maker. Zenger would have no choice.

The only thing that I can read from all of this is we are going to have a coach sooner than the time it took to hire Gill.

Braincase 11-29-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

There was an interesting interview with Glenn Mason where he talked about schools going back and forth from disciplinarian to nice guy, back to disciplinarian. Zenger himself has said he wants a disciplinarian head coach.

teedubya 11-29-2011 02:54 PM

I'm reading Mike Leach's book "Swing Your Sword".

This guy is brilliant. Love his mind and he really loves football. He speaks his mind and doesn't put up with bullshit. Plus he is ****ing hysterically hilarious, at times.

It would make the funnest, most entertaining era of KU football, methinks.

If KU can get him, they will be very, very lucky.

Lzen 11-29-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's Saul The Valiant. Riding in on his white horse to put KU fans in their place.

Saulbadguy 11-29-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 8154132)
I'm reading Mike Leach's book "Swing Your Sword".

This guy is brilliant. Love his mind and he really loves football. He speaks his mind and doesn't put up with bullshit. Plus he is ****ing hysterically hilarious, at times.

It would make the funnest, most entertaining era of KU football, methinks.

If KU can get him, they will be very, very lucky.

So, it's safe to say you'd start paying attention to KU football if they hired Leach?

Royal Fanatic 11-29-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

You're ignoring the baggage of the whole ESPN / Craig James fiasco. Leach needs to let that go and move on if he wants to be seriously considered for another head coaching job.

I heard him on the radio about a month ago. I've always been a fan of his and I think he got totally screwed by Craig James, ESPN, and Texas Tech. The problem is that he came off during that radio interview as a guy who is so bitter about the whole thing that it consumes him.

I guess I really wanted to hear him say "I think I got a bad deal, but I'm ready to move on, I just want to think about the future, blah blah blah." I never heard him say anything remotely resembling that. Maybe I just heard him on a bad day. Maybe he said he said it before I tuned in or after I tuned out. But I know that if I were an Athletic Director and I heard that, it would make me hesitate.

Royal Fanatic 11-29-2011 03:33 PM

However, for what it's worth, I think hiring Mike Leach would be a home run. If he didn't have baggage, KU wouldn't have a shot at him.

rageeumr 11-29-2011 04:45 PM

Jayhawk fans wanting Leach better not get their hopes up. Nick Athan tweeted that it's a deal that is currently being done. Guaranteed not to happen now.

@ChiefsInsider Warpaint Illustrated
After learning WSU Rumor was hogwash, #Jayhawk fans might get their wish. Rumblings suggest Mike Leech and #KU officials are talking $$$'s

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8154461)
Jayhawk fans wanting Leach better not get their hopes up. Nick "Assclown" Athan tweeted that it's a deal that is currently being done. Guaranteed not to happen now.

@ChiefsInsider Warpaint Illustrated
After learning WSU Rumor was hogwash, #Jayhawk fans might get their wish. Rumblings suggest Mike Leech and #KU officials are talking $$$'s

But he's already tweeted that KU was not going to get Leach - does that mean that it evens out to a maybe?

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 04:49 PM

Talking numbers is fine, but I'd like to see Zenger interview multiple candidates and not rush into it on name alone. I think Leach would potentially be a good hire, but there are other coaches out there that I'd like to see them look at as well...

rageeumr 11-29-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8154469)
But he's already tweeted that KU was not going to get Leach - does that mean that it evens out to a maybe?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ed_by_zero.jpg

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8154502)

LMAO

evenfall 11-29-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 8153641)
Saw on NBC41 sports last night where one alumni was putting up $800,000 towards the buyout. I had the volume turned down, but they had an interview with him... and they had in words across the bottom that he was putting up that much of his cash.

I don't care how rich I ever am in this world, I would never pay that much to get rid of a coach who was going to get fired anyway. Holy crap. Think what you could do in the world with that money if you were going to give it away... to something besides a moribund football program anyway

teedubya 11-29-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8154232)
So, it's safe to say you'd start paying attention to KU football if they hired Leach?

Absolutely. KU football has been so inconsistent in my life that it's never really been that fun to pay attention to.

In fact, after learning so much about him... I will watch whatever team that he goes to. He is ****ing awesome.

<embed src="http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews/atlantis2/cbsnews_player_embed.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="425" height="279" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="si=254&&contentValue=50067308&shareUrl=http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4697690n" />

KC_Connection 11-29-2011 07:41 PM

Leach arrived in Lawrence yet?

RockChalk 11-29-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 8154641)
Absolutely. KU football has been so inconsistent in my life that it's never really been that fun to pay attention to.

In fact, after learning so much about him... I will watch whatever team that he goes to. He is ****ing awesome.

<embed src="http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews/atlantis2/cbsnews_player_embed.swf" scale="noscale" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="425" height="279" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="si=254&&contentValue=50067308&shareUrl=http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4697690n" />

I have a buddy that is a die-hard KState fan. But he loves Leach so much, that he would probably start cheering pretty hard for KU if he signed here.

KC_Connection 11-29-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fanatic (Post 8154260)
You're ignoring the baggage of the whole ESPN / Craig James fiasco. Leach needs to let that go and move on if he wants to be seriously considered for another head coaching job.

I heard him on the radio about a month ago. I've always been a fan of his and I think he got totally screwed by Craig James, ESPN, and Texas Tech. The problem is that he came off during that radio interview as a guy who is so bitter about the whole thing that it consumes him.

I guess I really wanted to hear him say "I think I got a bad deal, but I'm ready to move on, I just want to think about the future, blah blah blah." I never heard him say anything remotely resembling that. Maybe I just heard him on a bad day. Maybe he said he said it before I tuned in or after I tuned out. But I know that if I were an Athletic Director and I heard that, it would make me hesitate.

He hates ESPN. I hate ESPN. It's a fit.

KC_Connection 11-29-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8154469)

The deal is done?

teedubya 11-29-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fanatic (Post 8154260)

Of course it pissed him off and he is bitter about it, he is a ****ing attorney.

He got hosed. He signed a 5 years $12.9m contract at the start of the 2009 season and Texas Tech has paid $0.

Braincase 11-29-2011 08:07 PM

Seems like fans of former rival teams ought to quit worrying about KU football and worry more about butts in seats for their ranked and undefeated basketball team. Might we see a (gasp) Groupon offer?

Silock 11-29-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

LOL Come the **** on. I used to think you were trying to have a discussion, but this is clearly a troll post.

Titty Meat 11-29-2011 08:32 PM

I'll bet it's going to be Dave Doeren.

Bambi 11-29-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8154471)
Talking numbers is fine, but I'd like to see Zenger interview multiple candidates and not rush into it on name alone. I think Leach would potentially be a good hire, but there are other coaches out there that I'd like to see them look at as well...

I'm not so sure.

Hiring Leach would be a home run for the program and instantly bring KU Football back to the national headlines (at least for a while).

It's hard to say wait it out in these types of situations. Once the first guy is gone things will move pretty quickly.

Leach is an excellent coach, has great recruiting ties in Texas, and has some "issues" that other programs may be a little weary of right now but would love to have him if his situation was different.

There are lots of good choices for Kansas. Leach is beyond good. There's nothing wrong with making a splash.

O.city 11-29-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8154853)
I'll bet it's going to be Dave Doeren.

You mean Roger Dorn?

LiveSteam 11-29-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8154809)
Seems like fans of former rival teams ought to quit worrying about KU football and worry more about butts in seats for their ranked and undefeated basketball team. Might we see a (gasp) Groupon offer?

Hey! # 22 Creighton Blue jays basketball always packs the house.

Bambi 11-29-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

What?!? You mean fans of teams these days can't afford to sell out both sports!?!

You don't say...

Saul Good 11-29-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

You mean basketball isn't important to schools with football programs?

Fritz88 11-29-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8154813)
LOL Come the **** on. I used to think you were trying to have a discussion, but this is clearly a troll post.

Its a realistic , maybe slim, possibility. But it could happen. Go and see Taits 4:44 pm update and the list of new potential coaches. All are almost unknowns who fit the nice guy and moderate experience bill.

Your classification of troll posts is comical. Why would I troll a KU thread?

Dumb****.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8154959)

If being middle of the pack in the Big 12 = football program....we can do that.

Pants 11-29-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8154959)

OSU says hi and they actually have a football program.

LULZ

Silock 11-29-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8155103)
Its a realistic , maybe slim, possibility. But it could happen. Go and see Taits 4:44 pm update and the list of new potential coaches. All are almost unknowns who fit the nice guy and moderate experience bill.

Your classification of troll posts is comical. Why would I troll a KU thread?

Dumb****.
Posted via Mobile Device

1) Tait's list is not Zenger's list.

2) Saying that Leach isn't even going to be considered is stupid. The guy can clearly coach, and BGL would probably like him because he had a fantastic graduation rate at TT, IIRC.

3) I don't know why you'd troll a KU thread. But you're the one being a dumb**** here.

Saul Good 11-29-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8155163)
OSU says hi and they actually have a football program.

LULZ

OSU doesn't care about basketball. They show up for Duke, but that doesn't mean basketball matters to them in general.

|Zach| 11-29-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8155174)
OSU doesn't care about basketball. They show up for Duke, but that doesn't mean basketball matters to them in general.

Went and saw my family in SEC country. My cousin is a life long Mississippi St fan. I floated your "no such thing as a basketball school" theory and asked him about Florida fans. He chuckled and nodded.

|Zach| 11-29-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8155167)
3) I don't know why you'd troll a KU thread. But you're the one being a dumb**** here.

I can confirm this.

Pants 11-29-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8155174)

Ya, only 15,000 people showed up to see them slaughter Jackson State, whatever that is.

Meanwhile in Columbia... *crickets*

Pants 11-29-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8155177)
Went and saw my family in SEC country. My cousin is a life long Mississippi St fan. I floated your "no such thing as a basketball school" theory and asked him about Florida fans. He chuckled and nodded.

You don't have to be a "basketball school" for your fans to care enough to show up. I'm sure the Tiger BB players love fans like Saul Good, though.

Fritz88 11-29-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8155167)
1) Tait's list is not Zenger's list.

2) Saying that Leach isn't even going to be considered is stupid. The guy can clearly coach, and BGL would probably like him because he had a fantastic graduation rate at TT, IIRC.

Tait is considered one of the top sources for KU news at the moment.

I never said he is not going to be considered, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he's not considered. Nothing official as of yet. Everyone jumped at Harbaugh thinking he was coming and we ended up with Gill. Isn't that enough of a precedent for idiots like you?

I was simply stating my opinion and you accused me of trolling. Not sure what that says about you except being a clear dumbass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88 11-29-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8155179)
I can confirm this.

Zach seizing the moment to throw his jabs. No surprise there.

Weren't you a final four in the CP douchebag poll?

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach| 11-29-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8155205)
Zach seizing the moment to throw his jabs. No surprise there.

Weren't you a final four in the CP douchebag poll?

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

There is no right or wrong moment to laugh at you being at you. It is a consistent thing that can be done at any time.

Fritz88 11-29-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8155207)
There is no right or wrong moment to laugh at you being a troll. It is a consistent thing that can be commented on at any time.

Still a douchebag according to many CPers.

LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach| 11-29-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8155211)
Still a douchebag according to many CPers.

LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

I have no idea how I get up in the mornings. But it is a fact I got a lot of sensitive KU fans all wound up and emotional.

Come what may...

Saul Good 11-29-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8155190)
You don't have to be a "basketball school" for your fans to care enough to show up. I'm sure the Tiger BB players love fans like Saul Good, though.

They should. I went to two basketball games and a football game over the last 2 weeks. That said, I'd happily lose 5 more basketball games to win one football game.

Silock 11-30-2011 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8155201)
Tait is considered one of the top sources for KU news at the moment.

That doesn't make him infallible.

Quote:

I never said he is not going to be considered, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he's not considered.
Which is still crazy, but not why I thought you were trolling.

Quote:

Nothing official as of yet. Everyone jumped at Harbaugh thinking he was coming and we ended up with Gill. Isn't that enough of a precedent for idiots like you?
I never thought we'd get Harbaugh, so . . . where the hell is this shit coming from?

What is it with you? I'm not sure why you jumped on my jock just because I called your post a troll post, but here's the deal, dude:

This part of your post:
Quote:

and they decide to go after Mr nice guy with little to no potential over the controversial Leach.
is why I thought you were trolling. This is absolutely counter to what KU has to do in this situation. They CANNOT spend millions of dollars buying out a nobody just to turn around and hire another nobody, EVEN IF he has potential. They just CAN'T. This hire HAS to be a homerun hire. It HAS to be a big name. The boosters have to have it, the AD has to have it and the fans have to have it.

Quote:

I was simply stating my opinion and you accused me of trolling. Not sure what that says about you except being a clear dumbass.
Posted via Mobile Device
The only dumbassery in this little exchange is your suggestion that you wouldn't be surprised if we hired another Turner Gill. That's absolutely ludicrous. You have to get the biggest name you can.

Geezus dude. I guess I started this little spat with the troll comment, but you took it to a whole other level with the namecalling. Mine was genuine wonderment that any KU fan could POSSIBLY think that your scenario was even a LITTLE bit plausible, hence my thinking you were trolling. So, for what it's worth, sorry about that since it seems that wasn't your intention. Now, how's about you back off on the name calling and we call it a truce?

Fritz88 11-30-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8155382)
That doesn't make him infallible.

Which is still crazy, but not why I thought you were trolling.

I never thought we'd get Harbaugh, so . . . where the hell is this shit coming from?

What is it with you? I'm not sure why you jumped on my jock just because I called your post a troll post, but here's the deal, dude:

This part of your post:

is why I thought you were trolling. This is absolutely counter to what KU has to do in this situation. They CANNOT spend millions of dollars buying out a nobody just to turn around and hire another nobody, EVEN IF he has potential. They just CAN'T. This hire HAS to be a homerun hire. It HAS to be a big name. The boosters have to have it, the AD has to have it and the fans have to have it.

The only dumbassery in this little exchange is your suggestion that you wouldn't be surprised if we hired another Turner Gill. That's absolutely ludicrous. You have to get the biggest name you can.

Geezus dude. I guess I started this little spat with the troll comment, but you took it to a whole other level with the namecalling. Mine was genuine wonderment that any KU fan could POSSIBLY think that your scenario was even a LITTLE bit plausible, hence my thinking you were trolling. So, for what it's worth, sorry about that since it seems that wasn't your intention. Now, how's about you back off on the name calling and we call it a truce?

No hard feelings.

I wish as much as anyone would that we get Leach or another big name hire but I highly doubt it. I'll try to explain that later.

Sorry if I offended you.

Here is to a great hire.
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81 11-30-2011 01:20 PM

Wazzu seems to be pushing hard for Leach. Is he still your top candidate?

schadjoe

Mike Leach is in fact the strong leading candidate at Washington State

Is this guy credible? I have never heard of him before.

masonkelley Mason Kelley
A source has told Steve Kelley that Mike Leach is on his way to WSU. Just though I'd pass it along.

masonkelley Mason Kelley
On his way to being hired. RT @ Softykjr: "On his way" as in he's taking the job or visiting?

Mr. Plow 11-30-2011 02:35 PM

I can't imagine that he'd accept that job so quickly after they fired their coach when other, better jobs are still open, but crazier things have happened.

Mr. Plow 11-30-2011 02:37 PM

@natekuester Nate Kuester Talked to people I trust at # WSU who believe Mike Leach has been offered. No solid confirmation, though. Rumors are rumors, until confirmed.

So, he's talked to people at WSU that think Leach might have been offered. We need to get someone to an airport ASAP!

DJ's left nut 11-30-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Touchy little minx, aren't you?

That's fine, I figured we could about double the interest in your football program by expressing passing curiosity in how this turned out. Let us all know if you hire Harbaugh, m'kay?

Mr. Plow 11-30-2011 02:41 PM

For the record, I hate twitter.....

BFeldmanCBS Bruce Feldman
BREAKING: Mike Leach has verbally agreed to be the head coach at Washington St.

ArrowheadHawk 11-30-2011 02:43 PM

http://bruce-feldman.blogs.cbssports.../view/31626208
Quote:

CONTINUED: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Next »
Posted on: November 30, 2011 3:39 pm
Email a FriendFacebookTwitter12Share
Score: 173
Log-in to rate:
Log-in to rate:
Leach to be next Washington State coach

Mike Leach has verbally agreed to become the next head coach at Washington State. Leach was offered the position late Tuesday afternoon, CBS learned.

The 50-year-old Leach replaces Paul Wulff, who was dismissed Tuesday morning. The hiring of Leach would seem to mesh with Washington State athletic director Bill Moos' comment earlier at the press conference where he announced Wullf's firing that he likes a "flashy, high-octane offense that lights up the scoreboard."

Wulff was 9-40 in four seasons at Washington State and just 4-32 in league play. The Cougars program has struggled for much of the past decade. Washington State hasn't been to a bowl game in eight years. But prior to this stretch, there had been quite a bit of success, with two Rose Bowl appearances and four Top 10 finishes between the 1997 and 2003 seasons.

Under Wulff, a former Washington State offensive lineman, the Cougars did make strides in the past two years. They were 4-8 this season while being hit hard by injury. Still, the Cougars lost seven of their final eight games. They had to play three different quarterbacks, losing starter Jeff Tuel for much of the season. They ranked 48th in the country in scoring, but just seventh in the Pac-12. In 2010, the Cougars were 106th in scoring and dead last in the Pac-12. Most of the talent Wulff had assembled will be back in 2012, including Tuel and standout wide receiver Marquess Wilson. Both figure to be good fits in Leach's Air-Raid system.

In his 10 seasons at Texas Tech, Leach had a career record of 84-43 and was the architect of some of the most prolific offenses in college football history. Eight times in those 10 seasons, one of his quarterbacks led the nation in passing. The year before Leach arrived in Lubbock, the Red Raiders averaged 23 points per game. By Leach's second season, they averaged over 35 ppg and they never averaged less than 33 points the rest of his decade running the program. The Red Raiders finished in the top 25 rankings in five of his last six seasons at Tech.

His teams had Top 10 wins over No. 4 Cal (2004); No. 3 Oklahoma (2007); No. 1 Texas (2008) and No. 8 Oklahoma State (2008). In 2008, he won national Coach of the Year honors. The Wyoming native was the only coach in Texas Tech history to lead his team to bowl games every year.

At Texas Tech, Leach also inherited a program that had one of the lowest graduation rates in college football and was on academic probation. He eventually turned it into one that had the highest graduation rate of any public institution in major college football. However, he was fired from Tech in December, 2009 regular season after allegations that he had mistreated a player, Adam James, the son of ESPN announcer Craig James.

The controversy led to Leach to sue Texas Tech for breach of contract and file suit against ESPN and James for defamation. Both cases are still unresolved.

Full disclosure: I co-authored Leach's 2011 book Swing Your Sword, which details, among other things, his path into coaching, his offensive system as well as the circumstances surrounding what happened with him and Texas Tech in his exit from the Big 12 school.

Mr. Plow 11-30-2011 02:47 PM

Sounds pretty solid. Sucks, but oh well.

DJ's left nut 11-30-2011 02:47 PM

Head-scratcher.

What's Wazzu have that KU doesn't? I mean that in all seriousness; that program sucks.

At least at KU, he'd be able to use his old recruiting ties and take shots at TTU every year.

That seems like a pretty bizarre decision. UCLA makes sense (more upside, likely more $$), but WSU just seems lateral at best.

Go get Sonny Dykes.

Mr. Plow 11-30-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8156562)
Head-scratcher.

What's Wazzu have that KU doesn't? I mean that in all seriousness; that program sucks.

I wonder that myself.

ArrowheadHawk 11-30-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Head-scratcher.

At least at KU, he'd be able to use his old recruiting ties and take shots at TTU every year.

That seems like a pretty bizarre decision. UCLA makes sense (more upside, likely more $$), but WSU just seems lateral at best.

Go get Sonny Dykes.

UCLA will always be little brother to USC. Maybe he would rather be on the coast.

Braincase 11-30-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8156530)
Touchy little minx, aren't you?

That's fine, I figured we could about double the interest in your football program by expressing passing curiosity in how this turned out. Let us all know if you hire Harbaugh, m'kay?

We're courting Matt Painter right now.

ArrowheadHawk 11-30-2011 02:54 PM

Come on down Larry Fedora.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-30-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Head-scratcher.

Go get Sonny Dykes.

Wazzu has a conference that is expanding, not crumbling. I will be very happy with any of the three Venables, Sykes, Fedore... but not sure any of them will be clamouring to get to Lawrence unless they are blown away with a great offer.

evenfall 11-30-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8156616)
Wazzu has a conference that is expanding, not crumbling. I will be very happy with any of the three Venables, Sykes, Fedore... but not sure any of them will be clamouring to get to Lawrence unless they are blown away with a great offer.

You must not have heard about all the upgrades the Big 12 is making these days ;)

Saulbadguy 11-30-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 8156574)
UCLA will always be little brother to USC. Maybe he would rather be on the coast.

LMAO

Braincase 11-30-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evenfall (Post 8156623)
You must not have heard about all the upgrades the Big 12 is making these days ;)

No doubt. We got rid of Missouri! Woot!

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-30-2011 03:07 PM

K-State might not have gotten "It's Patterson!" But the Big XII certainly did.

Reerun_KC 11-30-2011 04:38 PM

Well whos next on the list?

Saul Good 11-30-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Head-scratcher.

Go get Sonny Dykes.

Their team sucks, but their program doesn't over the past 20 years. 4 top 10 finishes in the last 2 decades is nothing to sneeze at.

KC_Connection 11-30-2011 05:00 PM

KU should crawl back to Mangino and apologize.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-30-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8156995)
KU should crawl back to Mangino and apologize.

Fortunately for KU, Mangino would tell them to go **** themselves.

Mr. Plow 11-30-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8156961)
Their team sucks, but their program doesn't over the past 20 years. 4 top 10 finishes in the last 2 decades is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah, WSU is a powerhouse compared to KU. :)

mikeyis4dcats. 11-30-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Head-scratcher.

Go get Sonny Dykes.

Personally I think he wanted out of the Big 12. Everywhere he goes in the conference he'd be "that guy that put Adam James in a closet and got fired, then sued TTU and ESPN." At Wazzu, he's just Mike Leach.