ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Donate to abused Dunkin' Donuts workers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273821)

Rausch 06-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9753487)
I am paying attention. That's the logical extreme of CP's idiotic line of thinking.

It's easy for a bunch of white dudes to decide racial stereotypes aren't racist. They're not the ones being harmed by them.

"Racism isn't racist" - CP's Old White Man Council

"We have stereotypes because they DON'T reflect the greater portion of a population."

Think about that statement...

AphexPhin 06-15-2013 11:32 AM

Hell no I'm not gonna donate any of my money to them. If they hate their jobs so much...QUIT!!!

loochy 06-15-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9753487)
I am paying attention. That's the logical extreme of CP's idiotic line of thinking.

It's easy for a bunch of white dudes to decide racial stereotypes aren't racist. They're not the ones being harmed by them.

"Racism isn't racist" - CP's Old White Man Council

You just interchanged stereotypes and racism again. They aren't the same.

Stereotypes are not necessarily racist, although they can be.

Stereotype - White people can't dance: Nobody is harmed.
Stereotype - Black people can dance and sing: I'm glad. Please sing and dance more because It's entertaining.
Stereotype - Black people like fried chicken and watermelon: Uhm, ok, big deal. It tastes good. Lots of people like fried chicken and watermelon.
Stereotype - Asian people are good at math: Well good for them. It would be great if MORE people were good at math.

These evil stereotypes are clearly harming the respective races to which they refer. :rolleyes:

You seem to be one of the people that thinks every mention of difference between race or culture constitutes racism.

rac·ism
[rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Guess what? A stereotype does not automatically enforce the notion that a particular race is superior.

All black people are stupid: racist
All black people eat fried chicken: not racist

Racism is due to racists, much in the same way that terrorism is due to nutjobs and bad football is due to Scott Pioli.

Rain Man 06-15-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9753524)
You just interchanged stereotypes and racism again. They aren't the same.

Stereotypes are not necessarily racist, although they can be.
Stereotype - Black people like fried chicken and watermelon: Uhm, ok, big deal. It tastes good. Lots of people like fried chicken and watermelon.

My wife was gone one night and I was on my own for dinner. I stopped at the grocery store and bought a watermelon because I really like watermelon, and they had barbecue ribs on a half-price special so I picked some of them up on a whim.

Our apartment is vacant, so I had some appointments to show it. I'm eating my dinner and a woman shows up, and as we chat I tell her that my wife is gone so I'm having ribs and watermelon for dinner. It made me kind of glad I'm not black, because I really would have been perpetuating a stereotype, even if it's a non-harmful one.

On that point, though, I don't think it's the "facts" that make stereotypes harmful. It's the fact that you're grouping people together by race and assuming that they're all the same and that they aren't unique individuals. So even a stereotype like "good at math" can be damaging if it implies that you think all Asian people are identical.

ThaVirus 06-15-2013 09:23 PM

I once went to live with my mom in some podunk little town in Ohio for a semester back in high school. To make a long story short, I got there too late to try out for football and ended up having to move back with my dad a couple months later. One day, shortly before I left, one of the teachers, who was also a coach, saw me in the hallway and was like "It sucks you're leaving, man. I really wanted to see you out on the track!"

This dude had never seen me run or do anything that required the slightest bit of athleticism. I guess he just thought since I was black and slim that I must run fast LMAO

tk13 06-15-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9754255)
I once went to live with my mom in some podunk little town in Ohio for a semester back in high school. To make a long story short, I got there too late to try out for football and ended up having to move back with my dad a couple months later. One day, shortly before I left, one of the teachers, who was also a coach, saw me in the hallway and was like "It sucks you're leaving, man. I really wanted to see you out on the track!"

This dude had never seen me run or do anything that required the slightest bit of athleticism. I guess he just thought since I was black and slim that I must run fast LMAO

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_E6OfdzBmTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>