ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Hunting type things..... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=70919)

Radar Chief 10-24-2003 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
I do really enjoy deer hunting out here. First off, we have both Muleys and whitetail and all can get extremely large. I love to hunt in the sandhills where there are a lot of sage and yuca plants. Get up on a large hill and start glassing. Sometimes we can glass for an hour or better but sooner or later you almost always find a pack of deer. Usually though you find several bunches but are looking for the big deer and keep looking. Once a big one is located, you start a stalk. Now, with a rifle this isn't too bad, but with a bow it can be the ultimate test of your abilities. It's hard to sit in a tree stand again after hunting like that.

I can believe that, sounds exhilarating.

Iowanian 10-24-2003 08:30 AM

Pastor,

The reason the state gives for not allowing rifle hunting for deer(legal for coyotes) is because its 'too dangerous"...North of I-80 is very,very flat for the most part..there are regions like the far NE corner that aren't..but a high percentage is to flat....bullets go too far.

I think the state should allow rifle hunting by zones they already have for tags...southern Iowa and NE Iowa should be allowed Rifle hunts IMO.....

Several people get shot each year because of the way we shotgun hunt.....you have to be VERY aware of your surroundings and where the people are in front of you.

Actually......on paper..group hunting sounds bad...."Jed, I'm gonna chase these deer strait to ya, when you see them...shoot back at me....k.

Smart hunters wait until its clear they won't shoot in the direction of the others, and even let them "pass" before shooting......but some don't "think well in the heat of bat'tow"....when an antler is in a pack of deer....you'd better trust who you're hunting with.

Devin Vierth 10-24-2003 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana
Up until the 50 mile per hour winds kicked in last night, it has been in the 80's around here for the last week. (It is Oct right) We have been breaking record highs for days now.:grr: Not exactly great hunting weather. I can't even get fired up about going after big game until I see some snow on the ground.

Today, highs in the 50's which is more like it for this time of year. I have been out a few times and doing some scouting and when it does snow, I may leave my wife an 8x10 so she remembers what I look like, and be gone for days. :bang:

Its been in the 80's here also and so I have only gone hunting once and it was a waste. The temp dropped some yesterday so I am going this whole weekend.

The sad part is that it is still too warm, but it is the last week of hunting season. No November hunt here except by draw or bow. I didn't draw a tag and I don't bow hunt. It sucks!

PastorMikH 10-24-2003 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
Pastor,

The reason the state gives for not allowing rifle hunting...

I've heard most of that arguement, but after living in the flatest place in the entire world I'm not sure that I agree with their reasoning. The only major exception I could see is in flat regions with high population densities. However, limitations on caliber/bullet types would be about as effective (ie the long range, flat shooting calibers discourages while shorter range, heavier bullet calibers encouraged). Just something about hunting with a shotgun and buckshot/slugs doesn't appeal to me on the same level as with my 270.:)

PastorMikH 10-24-2003 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin Vierth
...and I don't bow hunt...

If you have the time to devote to it, I would DEFINATELY RECOMMEND giving archery a try. When I moved to Kansas you had to decide what means you wanted to persue a buck. If you decided to rifle hunt for a buck, you could only get antlerless tags for archery and vice versa. I had bowhunted for years in Missouri and opted for archery instead and have never regretted it. I didn't put as much meat in the freezer, but I was able to spend more time in the outdoor, hone my hunting skills much more, and have many close encounters with deer as well as other experiences with wildlife/nature. Archery gives you as much as 3-4 months to hunt instead of 1-2 weeks and I have found that a lot more landowners will give you permission to bow hunt than would if you were asking to hunt with a rifle.

Iowanian 10-24-2003 08:58 AM

I don't disagree Pastor, and I think they should look at Missouri and particularly Kansas.

I know I'd be fine with an 30.06 alone with "1 shot 1 kill" vs having 30 slugs thrown in the vicinity of deer from 3 directions.

Last year I found myself crawling on the ground for cover twice as slugs whizzed over my head and broke sticks. the first and last time I'll be hunting with those boys.

PastorMikH 10-24-2003 09:06 AM

Quote:

I don't disagree Pastor, and I think they should look at Missouri and particularly Kansas.

I know I'd be fine with an 30.06 alone with "1 shot 1 kill" vs having 30 slugs thrown in the vicinity of deer from 3 directions.

Last year I found myself crawling on the ground for cover twice as slugs whizzed over my head and broke sticks. the first and last time I'll be hunting with those boys.

GEE WHIZ! That is scary!

Yet another reason to bow hunt!

I really get uncomfortable hunting in large crowds. A lot of people out here pheasant hunt with 30 guys walking across a field with more blocking at the end. There is a lot of that shooting at each other going on. One morning last season, there were a bunch of ministers that got together here where I live now. We were walking a field and one of the guys shot a pheasant and ran out ahead of the line to where the pheasant went down to catch it before it ran off - he was taught this as a kid. Well, as he ran ahead of the line, more pheasants got up and if I hadn't yelled at the kid next to me he would have shot at a bird as it flew low over the guy's head.

Hunting is really safe as long as people don't act stupid.

Devin Vierth 10-24-2003 09:31 AM

Quote:

If you have the time to devote to it, I would DEFINATELY RECOMMEND giving archery a try. When I moved to Kansas you had to decide what means you wanted to persue a buck. If you decided to rifle hunt for a buck, you could only get antlerless tags for archery and vice versa. I had bowhunted for years in Missouri and opted for archery instead and have never regretted it. I didn't put as much meat in the freezer, but I was able to spend more time in the outdoor, hone my hunting skills much more, and have many close encounters with deer as well as other experiences with wildlife/nature. Archery gives you as much as 3-4 months to hunt instead of 1-2 weeks and I have found that a lot more landowners will give you permission to bow hunt than would if you were asking to hunt with a rifle.

It would be nice, but I just don't have the time to devote to becoming proficient with a bow. Gut shooting a deer with an arrow just doesn't appeal to me. Killer that I am, I still have a little compassion left in me!

Radar Chief 10-24-2003 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin Vierth
It would be nice, but I just don't have the time to devote to becoming proficient with a bow. Gut shooting a deer with an arrow just doesn't appeal to me. Killer that I am, I still have a little compassion left in me!

It’s not that I’d have a problem with the kill; it’s the waste of meat that would bother me. Gut shooting a deer with an arrow makes your kill nearly impossible to find.
At least until the coyotes tell you where it is.

Iowanian 10-24-2003 09:41 AM

If you practice, know your range and distance you won't miss...in theory.

Radar Chief 10-24-2003 09:51 AM

Part of the trick, at least as far as I’ve been taught, is to not draw your bow until the last moment. If you draw while your buck is walking into your shooting lane, he could hear you and pause then you’ve got to hold your drawn bow until he continues, if he doesn’t bolt.
Holding a drawn bow for more than a few moments is hard on muscles and you’ll start shaking, making a clean shot even harder.
It’s best to be patient and not draw until your buck is definatly within range. Then draw, aim and release quickly but smoothly.

Some more experienced bow hunters could probably help with more, or even better, tips and tricks.

Iowanian 10-24-2003 10:26 AM

I *knew* this was one of the Larry Zach "old rivals" bucks. 3 minute video of this magnificent beast....world record buck....taken by the luckiest 15 year old kid on hte planet.

http://www.zachwildlifeart.com/video_bcob.html

Iowanian 10-24-2003 10:29 AM

The best advice I can give on bow hunting is get a newer bow, don't turn it up further than you can pull it back...cold.(I shoot 55lbs). Get a bow with a 75-80% letoff. You can hold it back for several minutes.

PastorMikH 10-24-2003 11:13 AM

Quote:

If you practice, know your range and distance you won't miss...in theory.

AND, with the modern sights and such, it makes becoming proficient with a bow much easier.

As for gut shooting with a bow, the same shot with a rifle will produce the same results. And, with gun, bow, or whatever, you really need to know at least some basics in tracking or be with someone that does before venturing afield because even with a good hit that doesn't shatter the spine or a shoulder, a deer can travel quite a ways before dieng.

Devin Vierth 10-24-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

AND, with the modern sights and such, it makes becoming proficient with a bow much easier.

As for gut shooting with a bow, the same shot with a rifle will produce the same results. And, with gun, bow, or whatever, you really need to know at least some basics in tracking or be with someone that does before venturing afield because even with a good hit that doesn't shatter the spine or a shoulder, a deer can travel quite a ways before dieng.

I've been shooting rifles and hand guns for over 20 years and I can hit where I shoot which is usually at the top of the shoulder because I like them to drop immediately. I have had to track and can do that fine so that is not the worry.

I just have not shot a bow since I was a boy and I just don't have the time to learn, at least not now. Someday I would love to take up bow hunting. There are some nice white tails along the Boise river that I would love to stick an arrow in. :D

Radar Chief 10-24-2003 01:00 PM

Quote:

The best advice I can give on bow hunting is get a newer bow, don't turn it up further than you can pull it back...cold.(I shoot 55lbs). Get a bow with a 75-80% letoff. You can hold it back for several minutes.

Maybe that was my problem, I’ve never used a bow with less than 65# pull.

ClearmontChief 10-24-2003 02:26 PM

You really don't need a really heavy pulling bow. 65 lbs or better. It's all about keeping the broadheads sharp, and making a good hit. Of course, you need to practice...lots of practice, and confidence.

My dad makes bows. Used to be recurves, but now he makes longbows. They are sweet, beautiful pieces. I would truely love to get a nice buck while using dad's bows. But, they require more practice time than I have. You need to shoot 15-20 arrows a day, everyday to have the confidence in your shot. I just don't have that kind of time, work and kids stuff.

I just was NOT confident in killing a deer with dad's bow, practice time, range of shot, angle of shot, instinct shooting, overcoming buck fever, and I'd missed several for several years. NO CONFIDENCE.

Last year, after missing several deer over the previous 6 years trying to get a deer with dad's bow, I switched back to my 55 lb compound. I got a new release, practiced a month or so before season...and, when I put my 20 yard pin on a target I HIT IT, everytime!

First time on a stand, had a nice buck come in. Put the 20 yard pin on 'em, and let go. He ran about 40 yards and piled up, double lung and heart! NICE 9-pointer that I put on the wall.

Bottom line, be proficient and confident in whatever weapon you choose, practice as much as you can and keep the broadheads sharp!

Iowanian 10-24-2003 02:40 PM

With the new cams on bows(and I don't claim to be an expert) they are so fast, that it just doesn't take the same Draw weight to get the speed and keep the arrow from dropping.

I figure anyone shooting over 60lbs is either 1.old fashioned 2. showing off 3. Hunting Wildabeast

Radar Chief 10-24-2003 03:05 PM

Quote:

With the new cams on bows(and I don't claim to be an expert) they are so fast, that it just doesn't take the same Draw weight to get the speed and keep the arrow from dropping.

I figure anyone shooting over 60lbs is either 1.old fashioned 2. showing off 3. Hunting Wildabeast

It seems like my old bow was a White Tail Hunter by Bear that was dialed in at 72#, if IIRC, and although I could shoot a nice tight pattern with it at 40 yards, there was a considerable drop at that range. I’d still punch arrows straight through the hay bails we were using for target practice, but I was surprised by how much the arrow dropped.
Lost track of that old bow, probably traded it for something I’ve sold or traded off again by now. Maybe I should get a good newer bow and pick up the sport again. :hmmm:

Iowanian 12-07-2003 07:54 PM

Alright....I need a quick break from Chiefs reality.

Bow season didn't finish up so great...Filled the doe tag, but da turdy point buck just wouldn't come by close enough.

This weekend first shotgun season...I filled my land owner tag with the biggest buck by far that I've ever had a shot at. A really nice 9 point non typical...Not huge, but pretty cool because of the rack...one side is a perfect 5point with nice mass and tine lenth...the other side looks like it should be on a completely different deer. I'm pretty stoked about it.

The next 2 weekends will be 2nd season, which is when I really "hunt"...

ndbbm 12-15-2003 02:31 PM

Bagged myself a six point and a doe on Saturday, our last day of hunting here in PA. Saw 32 deer total and 2 flocks of turkey. Finish that off with 1.2 million squirrels. It was a great day to take my gun for a walk. :thumb:

Iowanian 12-15-2003 03:36 PM

Congrats on your kills nb....

Saturday, my brother, Uncle and I took a 12 year old out for his first hunt....saw alot of does, and a small buck, but didn't bring anything home.

Next weekend when the Other one is back on leave is when we'll fill out the tags.

Rukdafaidas 12-15-2003 04:07 PM

Quote:

Alright....I need a quick break from Chiefs reality.

Bow season didn't finish up so great...Filled the doe tag, but da turdy point buck just wouldn't come by close enough.

This weekend first shotgun season...I filled my land owner tag with the biggest buck by far that I've ever had a shot at. A really nice 9 point non typical...Not huge, but pretty cool because of the rack...one side is a perfect 5point with nice mass and tine lenth...the other side looks like it should be on a completely different deer. I'm pretty stoked about it.

The next 2 weekends will be 2nd season, which is when I really "hunt"...

Any pics?
I've always wanted a non-typical.

Iowanian 12-15-2003 05:28 PM

i suppose I could post one...

1 Attachment(s)

Rukdafaidas 12-15-2003 05:36 PM

Quote:

That's a damn nice buck, congrats!
I'm worried about your face though.

Iowanian 02-24-2004 04:03 PM

I know its not queer, Politics, or making fun of anyone's religion.....

But it is near spring Turkey season.

I'm thinking about trying with the bow this year...but really haven't done that much turkey hunting.

seclark 02-24-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

I know its not queer, Politics, or making fun of anyone's religion.....

But it is near spring Turkey season.

I'm thinking about trying with the bow this year...but really haven't done that much turkey hunting.

i've tried it w/the bow for several years now...the only way i can get drawn back on em is if they're still on the roost, and they say that's not legal.
sec

Iowanian 02-24-2004 04:09 PM

Have you even tried from a tree stand?

I thought about buying one of those thing-a-ma-jigs that look like a camo umbrella that you hang on the front of the bow. Ever used one of them?

This guy I know has plunked a couple from a tree during deer season to fill a turkey tag.....

seclark 02-24-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

I thought about buying one of those thing-a-ma-jigs that look like a camo umbrella that you hang on the front of the bow. Ever used one of them?

This guy I know has plunked a couple from a tree during deer season to fill a turkey tag.....

yeah, i've tried from a tree stand...not much luck, but you've seen what i'm shooting at em with. didn't you notice the dirt caked in the tip?
sec

PastorMikH 02-24-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Never spring hunted from a tree stand but I have had them around me in the fall (Missouri used to give you a couple of turkey tags with your archery deer tags). Granted it was fall that there wasn't any cover in the trees when I went. I noticed that, unlike deer, turkey see what's in trees as good as they see what's on the ground. I've never hit a turkey though I have lost several arrows because they were already running before the arrow got to them. They can be tough, even from a tree.

Iowanian 02-24-2004 04:16 PM

I'd say if thats what you're using, its definitely more of a challenge, for several reasons than the high dollar techno-bow Ahm using.

I'd consider it more of an accomplishment to get one the way you're doing it...much much tougher.

I guess you could always go with the bed spring and corn method. You could get drawn on them from there.....or the rat trap on a tree with the piece of corn(think I heard of that here).

MOhillbilly 02-24-2004 04:20 PM

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?...yc=35661&icp=1

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ghi...t&cop=mss&tab=

mines custom made but you get the idea, i dont bow hunt w/ it though. i gun hunt kickin chickens.

seclark 02-24-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

or the rat trap on a tree with the piece of corn(think I heard of that here).

i think you did too...
i like hunting w/my longbow better than my compound because it's so much lighter too...i can pack a few extra beers.
sec

seclark 02-24-2004 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?...yc=35661&icp=1

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ghi...t&cop=mss&tab=

mines custom made but you get the idea, i dont bow hunt w/ it though. i gun hunt kickin chickens.

how the hell can you bow hunt w/one of those, mo? i'd be scared to death some of that $hit would get tangled up in the bow cams and cause a hell of a mess.
sec

MOhillbilly 02-24-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark
how the hell can you bow hunt w/one of those, mo? i'd be scared to death some of that $hit would get tangled up in the bow cams and cause a hell of a mess.
sec

http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdet...k_code=WA22150

seclark 02-24-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly

cool...i'd still be afraid the wife would come after me w/the lawn mower.
sec

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:05 PM

Some hunting pics from '03

My cousin and his tom.
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...ick_Turkey.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:06 PM

two other cousins
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...ly_Turkeys.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:07 PM

two bow kills from missouri
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1..._Mark_Deer.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:08 PM

my cousins son. his first deer.
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...unter_deer.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:10 PM

Minnesota waterfowl hunting
Me (on left) and my bud Terry.
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...ards_Geese.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:10 PM

me with a nice bag of birds
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...ards_Geese.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:11 PM

me again with more dead ducks and geese
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1..._and_Ducks.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:12 PM

nice duck shoot
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...Mike_Ducks.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:13 PM

late season whackage. 2 guys, 1 day, 10 dead geese

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...ate_Season.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:14 PM

me and the real Duck Dog. a daily limit of drake mallards.
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...e_mallards.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:15 PM

Here's a good pic of Cajun aka Duck Dog.
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...kdog/Cajun.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:18 PM

Cajun with a goose
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...g/c803534d.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:18 PM

Cajun with a mallard
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...g/d68d2d9a.jpg

Duck Dog 03-04-2004 05:19 PM

killing hole
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1...g/0bd5e62d.jpg

seclark 04-13-2004 10:06 AM

bowhunters...check this out. it's about a guy i used to shoot w/in a indoor bow shooting league. guy only has one arm. shoots better than i could ever hope to. very nice guy, too.
sec

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/...0410040028.txt

Iowanian 04-13-2004 10:22 AM

Thats a pretty good story. Thanks for the link.

I think I'm gonna help control the Turkey population. Iowa Spring season starts friday.

Iowanian 09-14-2004 07:53 PM

I know it would be alot more fun to dwell on the loss to Dungver.....but Its Sept...........

Time to start shooting those bows if you aren't already. Almost time to see if a dog can find a bird.

I'm thinking about getting a new toy....I was thinking .22mag, but now I'm leaning towards the new .17

Any opinions on the .17 caliber rifle?

dtebbe 09-14-2004 08:22 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking about getting a new toy....I was thinking .22mag, but now I'm leaning towards the new .17

Any opinions on the .17 caliber rifle?

I have a Marlin .17 that I have not had a chance to shoot yet. However, crows have been hanging out at my office, so I'm about to give it a twirl. Will let you know how it goes.

DT

philfree 09-14-2004 08:59 PM

Hunting type things... :hmmm:

I'll pay good money to hunt birds if anyone here has a farm with birds. Just me and my dog and maybe one more gun. And since it's your land you can come too. I'll still pay of course...........

PhilFree :arrow:

jspchief 09-14-2004 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going into my third year of bowhunting and am a certified addict. It just makes shotgun hunting seem so lame. Unfortunately, I'm not really looking forward to this year's bow season. The land I used to hunt has been bought up and is slated for development, and the landowner and I had a falling out over business matters so I won't be hunting his other stuff. I'm sure I'll still get some pheasant hunting in, but I'll probably lose this year's bow season for lack of hunting ground.

Here's a shot of my first deer harvested with a bow.

Iowanian 09-15-2004 02:59 PM

thats a nice buck.

I know its not as good as private property, but you could locate some public hunting areas and still bow hunt..........maybe get in on the "urban herd reduction" thing inside the city limits.

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
Hunting type things... :hmmm:

I'll pay good money to hunt birds if anyone here has a farm with birds. Just me and my dog and maybe one more gun. And since it's your land you can come too. I'll still pay of course...........

Where do you live?

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 03:30 PM

Spring '04

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...abemeedit1.jpg

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 03:31 PM

Spring '04, day 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...turkeyedit.jpg

Chiefnj 09-15-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief

Here's a shot of my first deer harvested with a bow.

You should just retire from bowhunting. It's gonna be tough to top that deer; at least in NJ it would. Congrats.

philfree 09-15-2004 06:21 PM

"Where do you live?"

I live in Springfield. Not to many good places to find quail around here and no Pheasants of course. I don't mind driving if there's birds though. I used to hunt up around Maryville but the guy who put me on the ground gave up his best ground because the lease went up. So after a few poor outings on his other ground I haven't been back for a couple years. He wasn't to expensive and a real nice guy. Really all my old haunts are pretty much dried up. Change of habitat and to much pressure from treaspassers and those damn gut eatin' cyotes. (sp? just don't look right)

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 07:07 PM

Quote:

"Where do you live?"

I live in Springfield. Not to many good places to find quail around here and no Pheasants of course. I don't mind driving if there's birds though. I used to hunt up around Maryville but the guy who put me on the ground gave up his best ground because the lease went up. So after a few poor outings on his other ground I haven't been back for a couple years. He wasn't to expensive and a real nice guy. Really all my old haunts are pretty much dried up. Change of habitat and to much pressure from treaspassers and those damn gut eatin' cyotes. (sp? just don't look right)

I can hook you up with a good friend of mine in Kansas. He lives in Clay county. North central KS. Well worth the drive. I used to live there and there is a ton of birds. He has a few thousand acres of private land and his dad and grandpa lease another 5K to KS. fish and game. I go back every year.

Everyone I know in Missouri are waterfowl, deer and turkey hunters.

Your more than welcome to come up to MN, if you want.

philfree 09-15-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

I can hook you up with a good friend of mine in Kansas. He lives in Clay county. North central KS. Well worth the drive. I used to live there and there is a ton of birds. He has a few thousand acres of private land and his dad and grandpa lease another 5K to KS. fish and game. I go back every year.
That would awsome. What town is close to there? Seneca? If you're serious why don't make sure it's cool with your friend and PM me.

Thanks Duck Dog,

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 08:18 PM

Quote:

That would awsome. What town is close to there? Seneca? If you're serious why don't make sure it's cool with your friend and PM me.

Thanks Duck Dog,

It is 30 miles NW of Manhattan. The nearest town is Clay Center.

It will be cool with him. He's guided before and he loves to make a little cash taking people hunting.

Clay Center has hunter friendly hotels that let you bring your dog in.

I'll PM you my info so we can work out the details.

Jenson71 09-15-2004 08:20 PM

Today someone told me it was great we got rid of that gun ban so now he could buy an assault weapon and hunt deer with it.

Jenson71 09-15-2004 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71
Today someone told me it was great we got rid of that gun ban so now he could buy an assault weapon and hunt deer with it.

"Okay, let's go...."
"Wait, did we remember to pack the grenades?"
"Yeah, they're right next to the AK-47."

ROFL

Ah, some people....

jspchief 09-15-2004 08:24 PM

Ignorance kills...

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 08:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks Duck Dog,

No problem. Your welcome. I love hunting and know others do to. I take virtually everyone who asks to go.

And hey, it's one of the best things about I/N BB's.

Skip Towne 09-15-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71
"Okay, let's go...."
"Wait, did we remember to pack the grenades?"
"Yeah, they're right next to the AK-47."

ROFL

Ah, some people....

Hey, I want to hunt too. Can I bring my F-16?

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 08:31 PM

Who needs an assault weapon when you can build your own potato gun.

philfree 09-15-2004 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Everyone I know in Missouri are waterfowl, deer and turkey hunters.
Yeah and there's lot's of both but I'm not much for sitting around when it comes to my hunting. I like the walking and I like working my dog. Was dogs but my old pointer died the winter before last. He was 12 years old so he had a pretty good life span for a pointer. Big broad headed, chested S.O.B he was. The last few years before he died he was pretty ruffed up but if I tried to leave him behind he would cry like a baby. He hunted till he couldn't hunt anymore. He was the most mellow pointer I've ever seen. Easy to train. R.I.P Lucky Luke Calihan. That's my setter Casey in the picture and I'm holding the Hunting guides bird he crippled and couldn't find. It's always fun to show up the guide.

philfree 09-15-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

No problem. Your welcome. I love hunting and know others do to. I take virtually everyone who asks to go.
That's a great thing, Duck.

Quote:

And hey, it's one of the best things about I/N BB's.
This day and age I really don't like knocking peoples doors asking for permission to hunt. Folks these days don't seem to take to that to well. Maybe it's just me :shrug:

InChiefsHeaven 09-15-2004 09:48 PM

Tell me if I'm being selfish...

I go deer hunting in rifle season in Nebraska with two of my best buddies from high school. We go about an hour and a half away, just far enough to justify a hotel stay. We go out early Saturday, hunt all day, get back to the hotel and drink and eat etc, then get our butts out of bed early Sunday and do it again. Sometimes I can go both weekends, but usually it's just the first and that's it.

My 10 year old son wants to go. I want to take him. But, I don't really want to deal with him yet. I told him maybe when he was 12. My 13 year old daughter has mentioned wanting to go. I should encourage that I know, but I balk on taking her as well. I keep telling them they aren't old enough yet, but I have friends that started hunting with their dads when they were 7 or 8.

I think it's because it's my only "buddy time" all year. I'm thinking I should start taking them second weekend maybe, but for now, I don't want to screw up my buddy time.

I'm a dick, aren't I...?

jspchief 09-15-2004 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell
Tell me if I'm being selfish...

Not neccesarily. IMO, spending time with your buddies is a vital part of leading a happy adult life. How often do you get to do other things with your buddies?

Maybe you could consider starting out with your kids by doing hunting activities that don't involve the actual season. Take them out and teach them marksmanship and gun safety. Or take them out to scout an area early in the year. If you spend time withh tem in the early years teaching them the right way to handle a firearm, it's something that they'll keep forever.

I think if you could manage it, it would be nice to take them hunting on the second weekend. You may find that 20 years from now, your buddies are long gone, but you still have your children to spend time in the outdoors with.

Rausch 09-15-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Dog
Who needs an assault weapon when you can build your own potato gun.

I want to be 100% certain that I kill the cat. Po-tat-toes don't gay-ron-tee that end...

Iowanian 09-15-2004 10:13 PM

I'd think it would be fair to make sure the kid has passed his hunter education course before taking him on a hunt. The other thing is, I don't know that starting a kid out the first time should be a group thing..........In Iowa at least, youth season starts in a couple of weeks.....Kids under 16 get 2-3 weeks even before Bow season opens.

I think 12 is a good age to start a kid....but the maturity level is more imporant than the physical age. They need to fully comprehend the seriousness of weapons, safety, and be able to deal with a harvested animal....You don't want a kid too young who will freak out if they see Bambi dead.

On the other hand....my preschool aged nephew has watched us skin deer for a couple of years and doesn't think anything of it.

I think the first hunt should be a "father/son" thing if possible............

Maybe this year, take him out a weekend early to "scout deer"....show him tracks, bedding areas, hair on fences, trails..........and the sense of the woods. That might be enough to keep him happy this year.

InChiefsHeaven 09-16-2004 07:06 AM

Thanks Iowanian and jspchief. It's funny, my buddies are kinda looking foreward to having him hunt with us when he's old enough. Our first chance to "indoctrinate" one of our own kids.

I'm planning on taking him on a scouting trip for sure. In fact, I considered an actual dry run, where we'd go out really early and sit until he takes a good picture of a deer. That might test his ability to sit still and be quiet...

Thanks for the pointers. Happy hunting!!

Duck Dog 09-16-2004 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
I want to be 100% certain that I kill the cat. Po-tat-toes don't gay-ron-tee that end...

True. They are powerful but not too acurate. I shot one through the side of a barn once.

I wasn't aiming at the barn.

Duck Dog 09-16-2004 07:34 AM

Quote:

That's a great thing, Duck.

This day and age I really don't like knocking peoples doors asking for permission to hunt. Folks these days don't seem to take to that to well. Maybe it's just me :shrug:

I very seldom get turned down. I travel quit a bit to hunt and usually it's for ducks and geese. Farmers may look at me weird and think I'm crazy for wanting to lay out in the middle of their corn fields during a Minnesota December, but they seldom say no unless it's already leased.

It just depends on where you go. Example, I would never try to freelance a pheasant hunt in S.D., very, very few people will let you hunt for them on their lands. But just about every S.D. farmer will let you hunt waterfowl.

My buddy will show you an area where you can have access to around 30K acres of public land. His land butts right up to it. It's a good place to make an annual trip to. Plus KS, has tons of private 'walk in' areas.