ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Restaurants of yesteryear (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=151160)

Al Bundy 11-01-2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.

Yeah the last one was inside Wardparkway and went out in the 80's.

Al Bundy 11-01-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
A new Pizza joint that I like is Ci Ci's Pizza. Pizza buffet place with Pizza out all day long. Prices aren't too bad either.

When I lived in Houston I worked at the original Ci Ci's.. I still cant stand the smell or site of them.

gblowfish 11-02-2006 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of Smak's attached.
In the mid 1970's there was a short lived burger joint called "Chutes" (I think) that shot food to you out of a tube like at a bank drive thru.

Dixon's Chili on 40 highway and Blue Ridge in Independence is also very good.Unique place.

Demonpenz 11-02-2006 12:19 AM

chick'n taters

ChiefFan31 11-02-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
There are a ton of Weinerschnitzel's in SoCal (though they dropped the "Der" a while ago) and they're still really good for a fast food dog. We also have Jack in the Box (which rules) and Shakey's everywhere.

I guess these restaurants didn't make it in KC and were pulled. Too bad.

That is what was thinking about the Weinerschnitzels when I kept reading it with a Dir in front. A buddy of mine in high school used to freak on Hot Dogs, dont really know why. Hot Dogs are good when your broke or at a ball game IMO.

Jack in the Crack. They are good I suppose. Im kinda over it, have had my share of Sourdough Jack's and triple bacon Cheeseburgers though.

I remember ol Browns Chicken in KC. ate there all the time as a kid. Greasy joints. I remember Sambo's and Smacks. I was thinking that Sambos was the FF type joint I used to eat at in thet Prairie Village shopping mall. Guess that was a smacks.

Someone else mentioned Pizza shoppe. That place rocks. I miss it. That and Minski's Pizza are pretty good. Not too many places I have found out here with Pizza that good. Round Table pizza kicks ass though.

TinyEvel 11-02-2006 12:46 AM

My parents divorced when I was 8, and my dad had us on the weekend. He has OCD, so we ALWAYS had breakfast at Biff's Coffee Shop in the (SanFernando) Valley and dinner at Brent's Deli in Northridge. Everyone who worked there knew him. Back then is seemed special, now it's kind of weird, looking back.

F.Y.I. It bums me out that nobody mentioned TGI Friday's (my bread and butter right now).
But props to Pastor and Simplex for the CiCi's mention. Our agency does their ads. They don't have any out here in SoCal yet, but they sound pretty good from what our ads say, I don't work on that account. But sounds like you get a lot for, like, 4 bucks.

Joe Seahawk 11-02-2006 01:03 AM

Check out this place.. Pretty cool.

I would've loved to have been a teenager in those days..

http://www.lileks.com/postcards/rest/jet.html

Abba-Dabba 11-02-2006 01:52 AM

A&W, when it was a drive in
Shakey's pizza
Peter Pan Ice Cream

Phog Allen 11-02-2006 02:24 AM

Dos Hombres in Lawrence, best greasy taco in the world just right to start a drunken night. Only to finish the drunken night at Joe's Donuts, hot, glazed and melt in your mouth. And weekend runs to Guy and Mays tavern for ribs.

Spott 11-02-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtebbe
I don't remember the name, but my dad used to take me to some all you can eat mexican place in Independence. Seems like I remember it being off some main highway. Of course my dad doesn't remember any such place...

DT

Was it Chi-Chi's?

007 11-02-2006 05:11 AM

The Padd. Locally owned burger joint. Damn good burgers.
A&W. Left Topeka in the early 80's and I still miss it.

chagrin 11-02-2006 06:03 AM

In Louisiana, we had a chain that was not only in Louisiana, Sambo's (it was shut down long time ago), can't forget whataburger

plbrdude 11-02-2006 06:45 AM

growing up in a small town we had a variety of little resturants and diners. schoonovers cafe was a staple for years. others i remember were bammer's cafe, ray's country kitchen, the duck inn, and mace & mary's snack bar.

Dartgod 11-02-2006 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater
Was that the place that had the phones at the table to put your order in?

Now that you mention it, I believe they did. They were primarily in the Omaha/Lincoln, NE area, but I seem to remember one on 50 Highway in Raytown. I remember when we used to visit my grandparents in Nebraska, we used to always go there for my birthday. They would bring you out a little cake with the trick candles on it. There was one on the I-80 interchange near Greenwood, NE (Alvo Road). It's been gone for years.

Easy 6 11-02-2006 07:23 AM

Is there still a mexican restaurant in KC called Jalisco's??? My relatives always take me there when i go, havent been in several years but i remember it being pretty good.

ChiefsFan4Life 11-02-2006 08:07 AM

Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time

MOhillbilly 11-02-2006 08:10 AM

Grand fortuna- had the best mongolian BBQ ever.
Stones BBQ- mom and pop type place from the old school. never had anything even close since.
Burger Station- local place there cheese burgers were salty and greasy and sick, they were great.

MOhillbilly 11-02-2006 08:21 AM

from when i was real young and up north. the A&W in Excelsior springs and the pizza joint w/ the clown painting that burned.

And the burger cafe type place downtown. My Grandfather took me there.

Rays?????

Brock 11-02-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
In Louisiana, we had a chain that was not only in Louisiana, Sambo's (it was shut down long time ago), can't forget whataburger

Sambo's was awesome.

Simply Red 11-02-2006 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time

Rax of course.

Simply Red 11-02-2006 08:57 AM

I forgot Minsky's and Antonio's pizza.
Burger Lane
Godfather
Kreamy Kone

Frosty 11-02-2006 09:01 AM

Most of them have already been mentioned-

Shakey's Pizza - this was the only place my dad would take us for pizza for a long time.
Sambo's - there is still a Sambo's in Lincoln City, OR
the real A&W, with the phones at the booths and the drive-up

Also,

Arctic Circle - had really good shakes
Bob's Burgers - a chain in Oregon. Had my first real job there when I was 14
VIP's- a 24 hour sit down restaurant, like a Denny's. Great place to get breakfast at 1 AM.

Baby Lee 11-02-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Here's another dead franchise: Burger Chef.

Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.

tomahawk kid 11-02-2006 09:10 AM

Mmmmmm....

Hi-Boy.

:drool:

Baby Lee 11-02-2006 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
Sambo's were Denny's.

Used to be one still by the name Sambo's in Santa Barbara.
They finally changed the name about 10 years ago.

Closed down a couple years after that.

Sambos were styled similar to Dennys, but were their own franchise.
And the original Santa Barbara location is still operating, at least as recently as last year.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...5px-Sambos.jpg

DanT 11-02-2006 09:14 AM

The closest restaurant to my family's house in KC is the Gates and Son on Swope Pkwy and the Paseo, down the hill from Paseo High. I remember it as a place that was open very late, with great food, free coffee and a big mural of a bigeyed cow. I also remember Mr. Gates as being a generous and kind man to the kids in the neighborhood. I vaguely remember that there was some sort of snack shop at the same site before Gates came along, back around 1970 or so.

P.S. Gates has since moved a little bit to the west, following a dramatic remodeling of Brush Creek and the streets around there.

Alton deFlat 11-02-2006 09:14 AM

I would go to Burger Chef when I was in college and eat lunch for $1.00.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/burgerch...gn%201960s.jpg

I used to also love the burgers at Peter Pan in Pittsburg, KS. I didn't realize until a few years ago, that Peter Pan restaurants morphed into Braums.

Braums / Peter Pan

Alton deFlat 11-02-2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.

I didn't know that. I guess that's why they tore down our Burger Chef and built a Hardees.... which is now a Burger King.

Redrum_69 11-02-2006 09:19 AM

IN and Out burger...cept they still have them on the west coast

siberian khatru 11-02-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Ah, yes, I remember those (not in KC, but elsewhere).

siberian khatru 11-02-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Rain Man 11-02-2006 09:20 AM

I'm not sure why, but the whole "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad theme really rankled me. There was something about it that I really didn't like, though I can't put my finger on it.

Baby Lee 11-02-2006 09:22 AM

Can you be nostalgic about somethings that's only been gone a couple of years?
If so, I miss Casa Gallardo Grill at the Galleria every time I get a jonze for really really good Tex-Mex.
Fuggin' Urban Outfitters.

Dartgod 11-02-2006 09:22 AM

Griff's Hamburgers is another place that is all but extinct.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../3a/Griffy.gif http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/...rdenverco1.jpg

Dartgod 11-02-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I'm not sure why, but the whole "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad theme really rankled me. There was something about it that I really didn't like, though I can't put my finger on it.

Good Lord, I'd forgotten all about that commercial.

Baby Lee 11-02-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Rax's sammiches were decent, but their salad/hot food bar was great.
A smaller version of your typical Ponderosa/Golden Corral spread in a FF setting, but with better fare and tighter quality control.

BigOlChiefsfan 11-02-2006 09:28 AM

Spanish Gardens in Mission. Great greasy TexMex food. They closed the restaurant and just make chips/tortillas now

The Streetcar named Desire @ 49th and Main, KCMO. Best bluecheese burger I ever had. They moved the old streetcar to Crown Center, but the burgers never tasted the same.

Mom's Diner on Sante Fe in Olathe.

Vista Burger in Lawrence/Manhattan/Emporia.

Rain Man 11-02-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod

I was actually just thinking about Griff's. For some reason, my sister really liked that place, and I preferred McDonald's. I viewed Griff's thick rippled french fries as a waste of french-fry potential. So any time my parents wanted to go to fast food, my sister would lobby for Griff's and I would lobby for a) McDonald's or b) anywhere other than Griff's.

Redrum_69 11-02-2006 09:31 AM

My favorite restaurant ever...

Baby Lee's moms restaurant...I'm a regular at the Y's...her pink taco bar is to die for, every saturday night is all-you-can-eat bearded clam bar, and at the end of the night she always gets my cream pie.

Rain Man 11-02-2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrum_69
My favorite restaurant ever...

Baby Lee's moms restaurant...I'm a regular at the Y's...her pink taco bar is to die for, every saturday night is all-you-can-eat bearded clam bar, and at the end of the night she always gets my cream pie.

Was that on Glendale?

Redrum_69 11-02-2006 09:44 AM

They have chain of them all over the world.

Theres even one at Pinnacle Peak in Snottsdale, AZ

siberian khatru 11-02-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man

http://www.geocities.com/burgerchef_jeff/bcjeff.gif

ptlyon 11-02-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc
Shakey's Pizza - this was the only place my dad would take us for pizza for a long time.
Sambo's - there is still a Sambo's in Lincoln City, OR
the real A&W, with the phones at the booths and the drive-up

Wow - did you live in Sioux City as a kid?

siberian khatru 11-02-2006 09:47 AM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OvYrG5ny6vM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OvYrG5ny6vM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rain Man 11-02-2006 09:51 AM

I think I'm remembering why I didn't like the Burger Chef and Jeff ads. They were stupid even for a six year-old.

Sydd 11-02-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp
In Overland Park...

John's Space Age Donuts....yumm. (heard they're closed now??? is this true?? sad if so)

Johns is not closed. You just have to get there early to get any donuts. Drive by the place every morning on my way to work. I take my son there for donuts at least once a month, just like my dad did.

Spokane Chief Fan 11-02-2006 10:08 AM

Is the Bucket Shop in south St. Joe still around?

Frosty 11-02-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon
Wow - did you live in Sioux City as a kid?

Nope. Salem, Oregon.

ptlyon 11-02-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc
Nope. Salem, Oregon.

Maybe I lived in Salem, Oregon then. :hmmm:

ChiTown 11-02-2006 10:15 AM

Kings Restaurant and Reagans which were right off of Shawnee Mission Parkway next to the old United Telecom (then Sprint) Complex and across from Mission Hills CC in KC.

Reagans was a chithole, but Kings was a pretty decent sized joint.

Frosty 11-02-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon
Maybe I lived in Salem, Oregon then. :hmmm:

I'll bet that's what it was. We were pretty special here. :)

Megbert 11-02-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.

I remember that place. They had a 'fixin's bar' where you could put whatever you wanted on your burger. I had a Smacky the Bear puppet. I think his name was Smacky.

Megbert 11-02-2006 11:03 AM

I really liked Tin Pan Alley in Lawrence. I didn't discover it till '91 but I ate there regularly even though I lived in tha 'dotte. mmmmm "BoBo Dip"

Megbert 11-02-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod

I remember going there after getting my immunization shots for school.

Sure someone mentioned this already but Wimpy's man I loved their italian steak sammich.

DMAC 11-02-2006 11:09 AM

There was a restaurant that had Crab Leg and Steak buffet once a week.

It was in Ash Grove.

I think it was called Penningtons.

Predarat 11-02-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky
In Wichita:

Willie C's Cafe (the one that used to be near Towne East) There's still one across town now, but the old one had a great Pac-man table that my sister and I would always sit at. Eat some greasy two-bite tacos and get down on some power pellet action. Nothing better.

Willie C's was awesome! I still remember that Crane.

And what the hell happened to Showbiz Pizza, all they have now are those weak ass Chucky Cheeses. Showbiz pwns that stupid mouse! Probably the pussification of America and everyone being scared of that gorrilla that played the synthasizer.

MOhillbilly 11-02-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
There was a restaurant that had Crab Leg and Steak buffet once a week.

It was in Ash Grove.

I think it was called Penningtons.

its still there.

ChiefsFan4Life 11-02-2006 11:19 AM

Damnit

I'm hungry now

Assholes

Baby Lee 11-02-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZChiefFan
I remember that place. They had a 'fixin's bar' where you could put whatever you wanted on your burger. I had a Smacky the Bear puppet. I think his name was Smacky.

Smacky the bear?
It was Smaky the Seal, which it ironic, as Kellogs Sugar Smacks had a Seal mascot as well.

http://static.flickr.com/34/71297802_e5a11fa56b_o.jpg

ptlyon 11-02-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc
I'll bet that's what it was. We were pretty special here. :)

That's why we talk slow to ya'all.

DMAC 11-02-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
its still there.

Huh, I had heard it was gone.

Calcountry 11-02-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Trachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

I remember Sambo's, they made a pretty killer waffle.

Megbert 11-02-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Smacky the bear?
It was Smaky the Seal, which it ironic, as Kellogs Sugar Smacks had a Seal mascot as well.

http://static.flickr.com/34/71297802_e5a11fa56b_o.jpg

I stand corrected. I guess it was a AW Bear puppet.

Rain Man 11-02-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

I stand corrected. I guess it was a AW Bear puppet.

Ah. The Great Root Bear.

Frosty 11-02-2006 12:17 PM

Do you guys still have A&Ws? They have them here but they are just another fast food place here (except you can get a chili dog :) ). All the charm of the old place is gone (no more Papa, Mama, and Baby Burgers, you can't get it "in a basket", you have to stand in line at the front to order instead of having a waitress or using the phone, etc).

ptlyon 11-02-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc
Do you guys still have A&Ws?

Yup.

RJ 11-02-2006 12:22 PM

This goes back 40 years and I haven't been back there since but in KC there was a place called Paul Bunyan Burgers. I don't know if it was a chain or just one store. There was a huge (in my memory) paul Bunyan figure in front. I liked their tacos more than the burgers. The one I remember was maybe on Parallel Avenue.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Predarat 11-02-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc
Do you guys still have A&Ws? They have them here but they are just another fast food place here (except you can get a chili dog :) ). All the charm of the old place is gone (no more Papa, Mama, and Baby Burgers, you can't get it "in a basket", you have to stand in line at the front to order instead of having a waitress or using the phone, etc).

My first job was in a food court at Towne East Mall in Wichita working at an A and W. We still made the Rootbeer from scratch in the store. When I moved to Tennessee they have A and W's combined with Long John Silvers. I miss those drive ins like a sonic where you could get Root Beer in a two gallon container like milk comes in now. That was some good stuff! I bet that help give me some cavaties because that stuff was sweet!

Simply Red 11-02-2006 12:34 PM

Heres one;

Original Pizza Independence Ctr Food Ct.

MOhillbilly 11-02-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Huh, I had heard it was gone.

it was still there this summer.

Rain Man 11-02-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ
This goes back 40 years and I haven't been back there since but in KC there was a place called Paul Bunyan Burgers. I don't know if it was a chain or just one store. There was a huge (in my memory) paul Bunyan figure in front. I liked their tacos more than the burgers. The one I remember was maybe on Parallel Avenue.

Ring a bell with anyone?

I knew they were in financial trouble when they slaughtered Babe the Blue Ox.

Megbert 11-02-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ

Ring a bell with anyone?

I remember a place that had a Paul Bunyon outside. Don't remember what area in KC it was. But this would've been over 30 years ago.

Megbert 11-02-2006 01:00 PM

I miss Texas Toms.

ptlyon 11-02-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

I remember a place that had a Paul Bunyon outside. Don't remember what area in KC it was. But this would've been over 30 years ago.

Are you sure it wasn't a chef and when you pushed the button it talked?

luv 11-02-2006 01:08 PM

I remember going to Bonanza Steakhouse as a kid. The building is now Nakato's Japanese Steakhouse. The kind where they prepare the food at your table.

DMAC 11-02-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
I remember going to Bonanza Steakhouse as a kid. The building is now Nakato's Japanese Steakhouse. The kind where they prepare the food at your table.

Bonanza had a great salad buffet.

There was also one across from Food for Less.

ptlyon 11-02-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
I remember going to Bonanza Steakhouse as a kid.

Bonanza Hut. Ya - we had one of those too.

luv 11-02-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Bonanza had a great salad buffet.

There was also one across from Food for Less.

I remember Tiny's BBQ too. Good stuff. They also had a good seafood buffet.

Rain Man 11-02-2006 01:39 PM

When the Bonanza Steakhouse first opened, my sister and I thought it was being run by the Cartwright family. We were all excited, and when we went in, I saw a guy that I thought looked like Little Joe, and said so. My sister then got all excited about seeing Little Joe, and my parents had to set us straight. Upon being told, I was somewhat embarrassed.

Dartgod 11-02-2006 01:40 PM

Here's another one...

Harry T's at Truman Corners. They had all the Fairyland Park memorabilia in there. I think it used to be called Sveden House before it was Harry T's. There is an Osco Drug store sitting in that location now.