ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Questions re: a possible move to KC area (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311380)

BWillie 11-09-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 13207500)
I wish my rent or mortgage was under $1k

:(

I pay $3500 a month. The good news is i pay houses off in 6 or 7 years saving hundreds of thousands in intetest. Then I can turn around and rent them. Win win.

scho63 11-09-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 13207500)
I wish my rent or mortgage was under $1k

:(

You probably pay $1000 a WEEK

BlackHelicopters 11-09-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 13207355)
First link off of google:

https://collegestats.org/colleges/missouri/largest/

MSU has had some fantastic growth in the last 5-10 years, but not quite enough to overtake Mizzou.

Thank you

BlackHelicopters 11-09-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13207243)
https://news.missouristate.edu/2017/...llment-record/

^SMS enrollment figures. Have to manually add the grad and undergrad figures.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...pected-decline

^ Mizzou figures. Same applies.

Mizzou's graduate school is, as probably expected, much larger, as it it is a research, land grant school, and those have more graduate options.

Thank you

luv 11-09-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13206943)
You stole my idea,

Nice to know my kids are in such good company.

Wish I would have known Goodman went to SMSU now MSU

My dad actually bunked with him during the Freshman orientation visit thingy when you go and stay a night on campus in a dorm room.

luv 11-09-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13206928)
This is a little intense. There are a half a million people in the Springfield area. I have a few friends from Springfield. Some moved, some stayed. They are all doing fine. There is actually pretty decent growth in the Springfield Metropolitan area.

Eh, I'd say quarter of a million.

luv 11-09-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13206919)

Let me guess, Chef de roll throwing?ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

https://livability.com/sites/default...08TB5830_3.jpg

No. He has a degree, and he has worked at University Plaza doing banquets and currently works at a very popular, high-end restaurant. Not as chef, though. Line cook jobs in KC look like they start off making nearly as much as a sous chef here, though, so even getting "entry level" somewhere would be a possible upgrade compared to here.

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13207951)
My dad actually bunked with him during the Freshman orientation visit thingy when you go and stay a night on campus in a dorm room.

Darn, I didn't get invited to one of those having daughters ROFLROFL if they were even going on. My kids never saw the dorms except when given a tour of the school.

Great story for your dad to tell..

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13207963)
No. He has a degree, and he has worked at University Plaza doing banquets and currently works at a very popular, high-end restaurant. Not as chef, though. Line cook jobs in KC look like they start off making nearly as much as a sous chef here, though, so even getting "entry level" somewhere would be a possible upgrade compared to here.

Degree? from?

luv 11-09-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13208034)
Darn, I didn't get invited to one of those having daughters ROFLROFL if they were even going on. My kids never saw the dorms except when given a tour of the school.

Great story for your dad to tell..

They had them when I went there. I opted out because I was local and knew I wasn't going to need a dorm.

luv 11-09-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13208040)
Degree? from?

Do you own a restaurant? Are you hiring?

Chief_For_Life58 11-09-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 13204729)
Wrong. Sellers market. This summer average days houses were on the market was probably less than a week. Values have skyrocketed.

this

Kiimo 11-09-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13207334)
That isn't true. That's only true if you are a sheep and go for a 30 year mortgage like everyone else.

Are you somehow under the impression that if your loan is amortized for 30 years that you are locked into that payment?

It just means your required monthly payment is lower. Unless you have crap prepayment penalty on your mortgage doing a 30 year is no problem. You can still pay it off in 6 years if you want to.

But if crap goes south you aren't required to pay a larger amount each month.

scho63 11-09-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13208552)
Are you somehow under the impression that if your loan is amortized for 30 years that you are locked into that payment?

It just means your required monthly payment is lower. Unless you have crap prepayment penalty on your mortgage doing a 30 year is no problem. You can still pay it off in 6 years if you want to.

Prepayment penalties normally apply when paid before 3-5 years.

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13208310)
They had them when I went there. I opted out because I was local and knew I wasn't going to need a dorm.

Both of my girls attended at separate times. I bought a place for them to stay vs dorms. They in turn rented it out to their friends and lived with their BF's.
Yes. They played dumb and still wanted allowances. You know they still never had money when shopping with mom.:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

I have some funny stories to tell about sitting in the parking lot watching my oldest haul her clothes and toiletries to his car's trunk so we wouldn't find out she was living there. Second daughter wasn't concerned. She was in the car once when we did it to her sister...ROFLROFLROFLROFL

I still give her shit about it while I spoil my grand daughters.

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13208313)
Do you own a restaurant? Are you hiring?

I have a couple of friends in the business, they know people. I've lost touch as I have been away for several years.

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13208572)
Prepayment penalties normally apply when paid before 3-5 years.

Got to pay for the loan origination thieves. They can come up with more ways to bend you over than your bank. Wait, they kinda are a bank.

Thats something I liked about KC. Just walk into Capital Federal and have a loan within days. If you had your ducks in a row, you could close in another week.

No fees. You had to fund everything but I think title insurance is all I paid to Cap Fed at closing. I had to prove it was insured, Termite free, and they would let me furnish the appraisal. Most of this can NOT be done since 2010. Escrow accounts suck only had 1, ever.

The good old days before sub prime crime lending.

Kiimo 11-09-2017 06:47 PM

When I sold mortgages in college if someone went to Cap Fed and had the credit score to qualify for a loan it was over.

There was no beating Cap Fed. On the front end or the back.

BWillie 11-09-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13207952)
Eh, I'd say quarter of a million.

Go Springfield, MO!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring...area,_Missouri

BWillie 11-09-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13208552)

I have a 15 year, but I got a much much better interest rate on the 15 year, compared to the 30 year. I should have even went lower.

BigRedChief 11-09-2017 07:47 PM

Just to clarify, my derogatory opinion of Springfield doesn't apply to Missouri State, its teachers, staff and the area around the college. I didn't graduate but have 96 hours in there and my wife graduated from there. That said......... one college and area doesn't change my opinion of the town.

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13208867)
I have a 15 year, but I got a much much better interest rate on the 15 year, compared to the 30 year. I should have even went lower.

In IN the rates are the same or .125%

I wouldn't do it for that just for cash flow,

cooper barrett 11-09-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13208883)
Just to clarify, my derogatory opinion of Springfield doesn't apply to Missouri State, its teachers, staff and the area around the college. I didn't graduate but have 96 hours in there and my wife graduated from there. That said......... one college and area doesn't change my opinion of the town.

Your doing a good job of back peddling. Politics in your future?

Hammock Parties 11-10-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13208629)
Both of my girls attended at separate times. I bought a place for them to stay vs dorms. They in turn rented it out to their friends and lived with their BF's.

Yes. They played dumb and still wanted allowances. You know they still never had money when shopping with mom.:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

God dammit you have some spoiled ****ing kids.

You know that ruins them for men, right?! RIGHT?! ****.

cooper barrett 11-10-2017 12:09 PM

I got them both good hubby's, I haven't written them a check since graduation. Paid for their own Masters degrees, well, them and their employers...

I am taking the to Grand Cayman for a week at Christmas. 1'st time for Grandkids to see the ocean.. I took my girls to Zuma beach for their first swim in the ocean, Rum Point will be even better.

I set the bar high.

Rausch 11-10-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13208883)

Good news: It's not Columbia...

Kiimo 11-10-2017 12:24 PM

I'm probably never moving back to KC but if I did I'd skip the suburbs and move downtown.

Might as well be where the action is. Growing up at 99th and Nall ain't much happening. Just acorns and ice storms.

cooper barrett 11-10-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13209875)
I'm probably never moving back to KC but if I did I'd skip the suburbs and move downtown.

Might as well be where the action is. Growing up at 99th and Nall ain't much happening. Just acorns and ice storms.

Swimming at Nall Hills CC!!!!!!

Over Yonder 11-10-2017 01:06 PM

Wow, some of the numbers in this thread blow my mind :eek:

I've got a 5 bedroom/3 bath sitting on 5 acres and my mortgage is $470, and I thought that was too steep. Guess the wife was right when she said it was a good buy. Definitely shows the difference between city and rural living.

Luv, good luck on your potential move.

cooper barrett 11-10-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 13209943)

I've got a 5 bedroom/3 bath sitting on 5 acres and my mortgage is $470, and I thought that was too steep. Guess the wife was right when she said it was a good buy. Definitely shows the difference between city and rural living.

When you're where no one wants to live it gets cheaper...

Rain Man 11-10-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 13209943)

$470? Where do you live? In the year 1893?

cooper barrett 11-10-2017 03:29 PM

Were you raised in a barn?

As a matter of fact, Yes

BigRedChief 11-10-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13210160)
Were you raised in a barn?

As a matter of fact, Yes

I hung coon skins in a barn to dry? Does that count?

Over Yonder 11-11-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13209954)
When you're where no one wants to live it gets cheaper...

Very true. And I like it that way. Peace and quiet :thumb:

Over Yonder 11-11-2017 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13210138)
$470? Where do you live? In the year 1893?

My calendar says 2017, but it could be lying to me:D. But seriously, I'm up here in the sticks outside Kirksville . Big part of why things are cheap I suppose. Although I would argue $470/month ain't cheap. Our first home was a 3 bed/ 1 bath ( I did a lot of poopin' outside because there was always someone in the bathroom it seemed :( ) , just a little farmhouse that was a million years old. But I paid cash for that baby! Owned it the day I walked in the door :clap:

Still have it, can't decide what to do with it. It's filling up with crap that should be thrown away at the moment. Damn women anyway :cuss:

Edit: I did fail to mention we saved for 2 or 3 years before we bought this new place, so we had a decent down payment. As I mentioned, we owned our last house, so we just made ourselves make a house payment to the savings account every month. I would recommend that for anybody looking to buy. It worked out great for us!

cooper barrett 11-11-2017 11:04 AM

I bought my first house a a tiny 2 bedroom 1 bath, with a shoebox for a garage. I bought it from a couple who were putting new tenants in every few months and having to spend a months rent to make it rent able between tenants. Thjey were building nice apartments all around for cheap. They were begging for tenants.

We struck a deal (contract for deed) with incentives for a faster payoff wanted it gone and they didn't want it back. The best part was a 5 year principal reduction equal to interest paid clause that I got worked in. 25K with 5 year option or a balloon of 15,400.00 on a $25 k note saving me just shy of $5K.

The house was located of few blocks off Santa Fe with 80th to the north and east of Antioch. Nice big lot w/a tiny asbestos sided ranch cracker box of a house. There had just been a murder in the condo's 2 blocks down the street making the sellers even more motivated.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9810...7i13312!8i6656

I got a room mate, did anything and everything I could scheme up to make $ (on top of a full time job) including selling wholesaler cars for cash with open titles at 75th and Metcalf on Sundays. (I hope SOL has passed...as the sellers thought they had traded them to dealerships) I painted houses during the warm weather, nights and weekends, and took any work I could find that was warm during the winter months. I bullshitted my way into a job remodeling a bathroom. (Something I had never done before) I hired guys out of Jack's bar to help me when I was over my head (most of the time).. 3 bathrooms later I was a pro. Fun times...

I sold my car and my tools to make the balloon in time to get the interest credit with 2 hours to spare.

Within weeks I had remodeled the kitchen, bath, and re-sided the outside. took a 15yr mortgage and invested in 20th Century Investments Select Fund just as the prime rate went to record highs. Returns were in the 40%'s.

This is an example of the same house today.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9795...7i13312!8i6656