ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Would you take Rob Ryan as DC ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268638)

crazycoffey 01-08-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9298031)
As far as I know, it's just defensive points only.

Regardless, the defense definitely took a step back after adding two highly sought after cornerbacks, which I'm sure played a major role into why he was fired.

That defense has a lot of talent.

That's a pretty decent arguement, the talent. Just don't want it to be a stat that overlooks the facts. Like how many games the chiefs O lead in yards and TOP but lost the game from not scoring and turning the ball over. We lost a lot of games this year and last, because of offensive eneptitude, not defense. Yet our defensive ranking is poor too.

Mother****erJones 01-08-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9298031)
As far as I know, it's just defensive points only.

Regardless, the defense definitely took a step back after adding two highly sought after cornerbacks, which I'm sure played a major role into why he was fired.

That defense has a lot of talent.

Ya know Dane they got some good D players like KC but struggle. Thats bad DC. Like KC need to find a DC that can get our guys in the CORRECT spots to make plays. DJ, Tamba, Houston, Berry can make plays let em do their thang.

Brock 01-08-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9297868)
People who want Ryan as DC don't watch football and just listen to the media hacks who are constantly on his jock.

He has long hair and yells a lot! He has to be good!

WhiteWhale 01-08-2013 08:48 PM

No.

He's been terrible everywhere he's been. He has never had a good defense.

He's loud. That doesn't make him good. The weakest dog on the yard barks the loudest.

FloridaMan88 01-08-2013 08:54 PM

Rob Ryan= Gunther Cunningham

No thanks.

WhiteWhale 01-08-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9298163)
Rob Ryan= Gunther Cunningham

No thanks.

Gunther Cunningham has actually been a part of a winning team.

FloridaMan88 01-08-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9298171)
Gunther Cunningham has actually been a part of a winning team.

Gunther Cunningham doesn't have a career without Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, etc.

He's a clown in Detroit now. Just like Rob Ryan is in Dallas.

Chiefshrink 01-08-2013 09:09 PM

So far what I've seen on the market I am with some of you either Dick or Lovie.

DTLB58 01-08-2013 09:11 PM

No.

Mr. Kotter 01-08-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idahojim (Post 9297983)
He's just like his brother and his father. The Ryans are all about themselves. Chiefs don't need that. Just went through a G.M. who had the same problem. Showboat coaches need not apply.

My first reaction is this....but if Reid thinks he can handle him, I'd be supportive. Considering circumstances, he did a pretty decent job.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-08-2013 10:01 PM

Absolutely not. I have to watch that wide-eyed mulletted hobo stare in disbelief as the Cowboys get obliterated on national TV more than enough already, thanks.

petegz28 01-08-2013 10:02 PM

Have to lean towards no

Skyy God 01-08-2013 10:58 PM

Insomuch as he's the best 3-4 guy available, I wouldn't mind Reid doing his due dilligance on him.

TEX 01-08-2013 11:04 PM

Yes.

Simplicity 01-08-2013 11:06 PM

This is legit. He is fired.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/

On the side "breaking news" part, I believe.

chiefzilla1501 01-08-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9298603)
Insomuch as he's the best 3-4 guy available, I wouldn't mind Reid doing his due dilligance on him.

He's not the best 3-4 guy out there. Not even close.

Sorter 01-08-2013 11:28 PM

I think he'd be an adequate DC with Gibbs +Thomas working in their respective positions.

However, he isn't my first choice and I'm not going to care if he is not hired.

SPATCH 01-08-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9298396)
Absolutely not. I have to watch that wide-eyed mulletted hobo stare in disbelief as the Cowboys get obliterated on national TV more than enough already, thanks.

The 'boys were dealing with some pretty serious injury issues on the defensive side of the ball this year, FWIW.

boogblaster 01-08-2013 11:33 PM

hell ya .. he'd make a good DC ....

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 11:34 PM

LMAO at some of you people.

Rob Ryan is a ****ing joke.

Sorter 01-08-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9298740)
LMAO at some of you people.

Rob Ryan is a ****ing joke.

I think he's overrated as ****.

However, Dallas did have some key injuries. Ryan would be better than Kiffin but that isn't saying much.

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9298755)

However, Dallas did have some key injuries. Ryan would be better than Kiffin but that isn't saying much.

It's like saying that AIDS is better than cancer

WhiteWhale 01-08-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9298184)
Gunther Cunningham doesn't have a career without Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, etc.

He's a clown in Detroit now. Just like Rob Ryan is in Dallas.

He had a winning record in detroit last season.

Which is something Rob Ryan has never done.

Gun sucks, Ryan sucks more. Deal with it.

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9298784)
He had a winning record in detroit last season.

Two seasons ago.

This past season, his defense sucked ass.

chiefzilla1501 01-09-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9298755)

Why do you think Ryan would be better than Kiffin?

Thing is... I see Ryan being a wannabe. He's wanted to run a variation of Buddy Ryan's 46, but he's just not nearly as innovative as Rexy is. I don't want that. If you want to run that defense, look into Mike Pettine instead.

But even if Kiffin was lousy at USC... while Ryan is a guy trying to run someone else's defense, Kiffin is the architect of the defense that has been awesome in Seattle. I'm intrigued by Kiffin because he is a defensive mastermind, and I think he'll find a way to adapt. If he follows the defense of his protege (Carroll)... man, if Kiffin runs a 4-3 Under with an Elephant rusher... this defense could be nasty and it won't take long to get there.

Ace Gunner 01-09-2013 12:04 AM

I'm hopeful Gary Gibbs stays at DC. I'd like to see what he does without RC. Whomever they choose to DC will get marching orders from Reid before OTA's and TC.

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9298771)
It's like saying that AIDS is better than cancer

Yeah...I mean, at least the Magic Johnson method of treatment works consistently ROFL

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9298800)
I'm hopeful Gary Gibbs stays at DC. I'd like to see what he does without RC. Whomever they choose to DC will get marching orders from Reid before OTA's and TC.

Please, no.

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9298797)
Why do you think Ryan would be better than Kiffin?

Thing is... I see Ryan being a wannabe. He's wanted to run a variation of Buddy Ryan's 46, but he's just not nearly as innovative as Rexy is. I don't want that. If you want to run that defense, look into Mike Pettine instead.

But even if Kiffin was lousy at USC... while Ryan is a guy trying to run someone else's defense, Kiffin is the architect of the defense that has been awesome in Seattle. I'm intrigued by Kiffin because he is a defensive mastermind, and I think he'll find a way to adapt. If he follows the defense of his protege (Carroll)... man, if Kiffin runs a 4-3 Under with an Elephant rusher... this defense could be nasty and it won't take long to get there.

Personally, I think the Tampa 2 out of base personnel or others for that matter, require above average to elite players to perform it effectively. The only two teams that run it well in the NFL currently are Minny and Bears. Both have outstanding passrushers as well as an additional one to supplement, effective corner and safety play, and LBs who are lighter but apt in coverage that can make drops quickly.

chiefzilla1501 01-09-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9298836)
Personally, I think the Tampa 2 out of base personnel or others for that matter, require above average to elite players to perform it effectively. The only two teams that run it well in the NFL currently are Minny and Bears. Both have outstanding passrushers as well as an additional one to supplement, effective corner and safety play, and LBs who are lighter but apt in coverage that can make drops quickly.

I hate the Tampa 2 in the modern NFL. You don't have to sell me on that.

I am intrigued by the 4-3 under as a hybrid front. Keep in mind that Monte Kiffin architected the 4-3 under and taught the scheme to Pete Carroll, who now runs the scheme in Seattle. I would LOVE to see the Seattle scheme make its way to KC (one of the reasons I pushed for Gus Bradley in KC). Kiffin only converted to the Tampa 2 because of Dungy -- it was basically merging Kiffin's 4-3 Under with a heavy cover 2 that featured a deep MLB (Dungy learned that from Bud Carson).

I am intrigued by Kiffin if he goes back to his roots. If I'm not mistaken, he's more and more slipped into the 4-3 Under. And if he gets innovative, listens to his protege Carroll, and runs a 4-3 Under with Houston playing as an Elephant rusher? If we land Dorsey and nab Kiffin, I bet that's exactly the defense we would run.

Bump 01-09-2013 12:43 AM

Hell no to Rob Ryan

why on earth are we even talking about this? He flat out sucks ass. I don't think he's ever been the DC on a team that's finished over .500

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9298855)

I am intrigued by the 4-3 under as a hybrid front. Keep in mind that Monte Kiffin architected the 4-3 under and taught the scheme to Pete Carroll, who now runs the scheme in Seattle. I would LOVE to see the Seattle scheme make its way to KC (one of the reasons I pushed for Gus Bradley in KC). Kiffin only converted to the Tampa 2 because of Dungy -- it was basically merging Kiffin's 4-3 Under with a heavy cover 2 that featured a deep MLB (Dungy learned that from Bud Carson).

I am intrigued by Kiffin if he goes back to his roots. If I'm not mistaken, he's more and more slipped into the 4-3 Under. And if he gets innovative, listens to his protege Carroll, and runs a 4-3 Under with Houston playing as an Elephant rusher? If we land Dorsey and nab Kiffin, I bet that's exactly the defense we would run.

This is the only part of Kiffin that would make me want to hire him if I were a HC. I ****ing love what Carrol + Bradley have done with that Under scheme. If he says he's going to utilize that primarily then I'm warming up significantly, as it won't require an entire roster change.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-09-2013 12:46 AM

Ryan just strikes me as a "guy" who has been able to hold on to a job thanks to his family ties and the NFL's bizarre tenure system.

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9298870)
Ryan just strikes me as a "guy" who has been able to hold on to a job thanks to his family ties and the NFL's bizarre tenure system.

He's had some good performances but has never been consistent. He isn't really that innovative and most of his pressure schemes orient around cover 1/0 looks, as opposed to Rex who will blitz out of base personnel using fire-zone concepts and additionally use a mixture of zone + man blitz in sub packages. Rob seems to just solely stay in man on most 3rd downs from what I've seen.

Titty Meat 01-09-2013 12:56 AM

Guys on here want Brian Kelly as the HC Ryan as the DC

http://imageshack.us/a/img440/9764/11858274t7kef9.png

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9298886)
Guys on here want Brian Kelly as the HC Ryan as the DC

http://imageshack.us/a/img440/9764/11858274t7kef9.png

Who the **** wants that? ROFL

RustShack 01-09-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9298800)

Gibbs was an awful DC before Crennel, hence why he got fired and we hired him as a LB coach.

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9298888)
Gibbs was an awful DC before Crennel, hence why he got fired and we hired him as a LB coach.

What's really sad is, Keith Butler was the LBs coach for Crennel at one point. A butterfly slaps its wings a few more times, he could have been our DC LMAO

htismaqe 01-09-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Yeah, he was DC in New Orleans and they were pretty bad.

Dave Lane 01-09-2013 08:04 AM

No way he and Reid co-exist

Fat Elvis 01-09-2013 09:18 AM

no.

dtebbe 01-09-2013 09:44 AM

Fact: He's never had a top 10 defense.

Answer: I'll pass

DT

Chiefs247 01-09-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297599)
Rob Ryan has never been a HC.

Sorry was thinkin of Rex, all that "Tattoo of my wife in a sanchez jersey tebowing" must have thrown me off.:rolleyes:

Rausch 01-09-2013 10:40 AM

**** no...

saphojunkie 01-09-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9298855)

Awesome post.

Why wouldn't we focus on a younger DC that is familiar with the scheme, though? Then again, you know Monte is in no danger of leaving for a head coaching gig. A young guy could bolt after a few years. Of course, Kiffin could die, so what do I know?

My problem with the 4-3 is that we will absolutely need at least one more linebacker for it. That might push more for addressing QB with our second pick and taking someone like Jarvis Jones at #1.

candyman 01-09-2013 11:20 AM

No thanks. Both of the Ryans are completely overrated.

RUSH 01-09-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9299673)
No thanks. Both of the Ryans are completely overrated.

Rex overrated as a head coach? Maybe...because he knows nothing about offense. But he was successful when he had some talent his first 2 years.

But no way in hell is Rex overrated as a defensive mind. The guy is brilliant. If he was fired, half the league would be lining up for his services as a DC.

Chiefnj2 01-09-2013 11:49 AM

Odd that Rob gets fired and Rex doesn't. Dallas' D underperformed but had a lot of guys on IR.

Ace Gunner 01-09-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

well, BB was an awful HC in CLE, so a statement like this is meaningless to me.

Looking through this thread etc, there is only Dom that I find interesting for the position and well, we know that (lateral move) can't happen.

Whomever is chosen, I am hopeful the 34 is used as a base -- but, this does limit choices unless of course Reid takes a chance on an unproven.

I'm not in favor of switching this defense back to 43 because IMO they do not have a 43 pass rush(er). Maybe a guy like Bailey, maybe nobody on this roster, which means a season or two with dismal pass rush.

melbar 01-09-2013 12:20 PM

Lets not forget that half our D was converted to the 3-4. Dorsey was all world in the 4-3 and never quite lived up to it in the 3-4. Hali converted from a hand on the ground DE. Jackson was an oversized DE. Its not like they have no experience. Unless I'm mistaken Hali would be used in both ways as a hybrid in the 4-3 under.

warpaint* 01-09-2013 12:23 PM

I'll pass.

Brock 01-09-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9299909)
Dorsey was all world in the 4-3 and never quite lived up to it in the 3-4.

In college, maybe.

Jim Jones 01-09-2013 02:36 PM

If you took away the Ryan name and actually look at what Rob's defenses have done over the years, he blows. I'll pass.

Sorter 01-09-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9299909)
Lets not forget that half our D was converted to the 3-4. Dorsey was all world in the 4-3 and never quite lived up to it in the 3-4. Hali converted from a hand on the ground DE. Jackson was an oversized DE. Its not like they have no experience. Unless I'm mistaken Hali would be used in both ways as a hybrid in the 4-3 under.

Dorsey was never all-world in the NFL. Playing any technique or front. Guy was a bust.

DaneMcCloud 01-09-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9299821)
well, BB was an awful HC in CLE, so a statement like this is meaningless to me.

LMAO

No, he was not.

JFC.

Easy 6 01-09-2013 03:15 PM

He's all talk, see the points against rankings posted earlier... **** that guy.

crazycoffey 01-10-2013 03:02 AM

JFC I want to see more proof than points against as a marker, because by that mark we have no talent on our defense either. Points against the packers and Houston's d means something. Points against our d has an "the o was horrible" asterisk next to it. Being that Ryan's defenses were for Oakland and Cleveland and Dallas, makes me think that isn't the stat to gauge him on.

Quesadilla Joe 01-10-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9302199)
JFC I want to see more proof than points against as a marker, because by that mark we have no talent on our defense either. Points against the packers and Houston's d means something. Points against our d has an "the o was horrible" asterisk next to it. Being that Ryan's defenses were for Oakland and Cleveland and Dallas, makes me think that isn't the stat to gauge him on.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/RyanRo0.htm

His defenses suck in yards allowed and takeaways too...

007 01-10-2013 03:20 AM

NO

crazycoffey 01-10-2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9302204)
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/RyanRo0.htm

His defenses suck in yards allowed and takeaways too...

Again, with a sucky offense these numbers are not good numbers to grade on. Someone please tell and show me where these numbers, yards, take aways and points are graded on a curve to allow for bad offenses turning the ball over on short fields and leaving the d on the field more. It's not that I want Ryan, not saying that at all, but if you're saying we shouldn't want him because of a bad offense then I don't know how your argument holds water

DBOSHO 01-10-2013 07:24 AM

He was missing 5 starters this year on defense.

Brock 01-10-2013 07:26 AM

Lots of excuses. If this guy wasn't named Ryan, he wouldn't be in the league at all.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-11-2013 08:08 PM

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz

Source: Rob Ryan has been hired by the Rams as their new defensive coordinator.

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9302312)
Lots of excuses. If this guy wasn't named Ryan, he wouldn't be in the league at all.

He'd be a position coach somewhere

Rasputin 01-11-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9306970)

The best part of this news is that it's not here. :clap:

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 9302306)
He was missing 5 starters this year on defense.

Dallas will be missing all eleven next year with Kiffin at the helm

Rams Fan 01-11-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9306970)

Whoa.

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9307044)
Whoa.

Peter-Principled sons od head cpaches at both coordinator positions.

You must be so proud.

-King- 01-11-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9302222)
Again, with a sucky offense these numbers are not good numbers to grade on. Someone please tell and show me where these numbers, yards, take aways and points are graded on a curve to allow for bad offenses turning the ball over on short fields and leaving the d on the field more. It's not that I want Ryan, not saying that at all, but if you're saying we shouldn't want him because of a bad offense then I don't know how your argument holds water

:spock: What the hell are you talking about?

Rams Fan 01-11-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9307048)

You must be so proud.

Don't forget Special Teams, too!

Schottenheimer did a nice job, I thought. Don't know what to think about this hire.

Rasputin 01-11-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9307051)
Don't forget Special Teams, too!

Schottenheimer did a nice job, I thought. Don't know what to think about this hire.

I don't like him because he is a Ryan. I don't think you can evaluate the coaching jobs in Dallas as long as JJ is in charge. JMO. He could turn out to be a good coach with a new team.

Rams Fan 01-11-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9307061)
I don't like him because he is a Ryan. I don't think you can evaluate the coaching jobs in Dallas as long as JJ is in charge. JMO. He could turn out to be a good coach with a new team.

It's not that. It's that Fisher runs a 4-3 and Ryan runs a 3-4.

Rasputin 01-11-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9307062)
It's not that. It's that Fisher runs a 4-3 and Ryan runs a 3-4.

Then your focked lol

DaneMcCloud 01-11-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9307048)

You must be so proud.

JFC, the iPad autocorrect is garbage.

Mother****erJones 01-11-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9307070)
JFC, the iPad autocorrect is garbage.

ROFL I got it on my iPhone and it pisses me off

Chiefaholic 01-11-2013 09:12 PM

I'm glad Rob wasn't hired in KC. A few years back when he was with the Raiders, a couple fans around me were heckling him post game. Most coaches ignore the fans and set an example for the players. Not Robbie... I don't recall word for word of his little vulgar tirade. But, I still recall him calling them, "a bunch of ****ing inbred hillbillies!". I thought it was pretty funny how thin his skin was given the position on the team he held.

Good luck, Rams fan..... You're going to need it.