ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261597)

mdchiefsfan 07-21-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757540)
Was I the only one that thought the movie was going to abruptly end when Alfred looked up at the cafe?

I think a Sopranos-like ending would have been incredible.

Or even an Inception type of ending, leaving the top spinning. That would've been cruel.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8757572)
Or even an Inception type of ending, leaving the top spinning. That would've been cruel.

Actually, I think the ending was somewhat Inception-like.

I heard the couple next to us semi-arguing if the final cafe scene was a dream or reality.

Seeing as how Selina was wearing the pearls, (totem?) I think it's clear it was real. Plus, Alfred isn't aware of the relationship between Wayne and Selina. If it were a dream, Alfred would likely imagine Bruce sitting there with Rachel.

Deberg_1990 07-21-2012 12:08 PM

heh, whats funny is, i believe Nolan has gone on record before and said that he would never bring in Robin into his version of Batman.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757540)
Was I the only one that thought the movie was going to abruptly end when Alfred looked up at the cafe?

I think a Sopranos-like ending would have been incredible.

No. I was thinking the same thing and I had a grin a mile wide on my face. Then they showed Bruce & Selina and I hate a second of "oh man" but then the theater erupted in cheers and applause. Which was awesome. Great moment.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8757646)
heh, whats funny is, i believe Nolan has gone on record before and said that he would never bring in Robin into his version of Batman.

And he never did.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-21-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Yep. And he said he's done with this franchise. I doubt it. Bale also said months ago that he's done, but recently stated if Nolan is on board he'd be open to doing a fourth. Money talks. The ending left room for a lot of ways they could go for another movie if he decides to.

Deberg_1990 07-21-2012 01:03 PM

Wouldnt surprise me if Nolan didnt come back. Hes probably wanting to move on and hes more of an "Artist" than the typical comic book director.

mdchiefsfan 07-21-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Technically, you never saw Robin. Semantics I know, but when ever I bring up the point you just made that is the response I get. Thought I would share.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8757729)
No. I was thinking the same thing and I had a grin a mile wide on my face. Then they showed Bruce & Selina and I hate a second of "oh man" but then the theater erupted in cheers and applause. Which was awesome. Great moment.

My experience was a bit different. Saw it in a 21+ theater with only 35 seats. There was literally no response from the audience at any point in the film. Hell, no one even moved once the credits started rolling.

My wife and I were the first to get up and walk out, and the looks of people trying to process what they just saw was priceless.

My wife asked me what I thought of it as we walked to the car, and I couldn't even respond. So many powerful, emotional scenes.

Spoiler!

Seeing it again tonight in 15/70 IMAX. Thinking it's going to be even better the 2nd time around.

mdchiefsfan 07-21-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757763)
My experience was a bit different. Saw it in a 21+ theater with only 35 seats. There was literally no response from the audience at any point in the film. Hell, no one even moved once the credits started rolling.

My wife and I were the first to get up and walk out, and the looks of people trying to process what they just saw was priceless.

My wife asked me what I thought of it as we walked to the car, and I couldn't even respond. So many powerful, emotional scenes.

Seeing it again tonight in 15/70 IMAX. Thinking it's going to be even better the 2nd time around.

There was a roar of applause in the theater I went to. But I felt that exact same thing, I couldn't even discuss what I enjoyed about the movie. I walked out with a headache and thought to myself, this is what it feels like to have your mind blown.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8757770)
There was a roar of applause in the theater I went to. But I felt that exact same thing, I couldn't even discuss what I enjoyed about the movie. I walked out with a headache and thought to myself, this is what it feels like to have your mind blown.

Yep.

As a friend of mine eloquently posted on FB last night, "Christopher Nolan just ****ed my mind's vagina so hard I'm going to be sore for weeks".

mdchiefsfan 07-21-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757782)
Yep.

As a friend of mine eloquently posted on FB last night, "Christopher Nolan just ****ed my mind's vagina so hard I'm going to be sore for weeks".

ROFL

Raiderhater 07-21-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757763)

Spoiler!

I am not really sure the entire experience has sunk in on me yet. I am no where near being able to rank it in the trilogy because I'm not sure I have fully grasped what I watched last night.

JD10367 07-21-2012 02:08 PM

I think Nolan threw in the "You should use your full name... Robin" as just a bonus to fans. This film played fast-and-loose with the Batman canon. "Robin" is fully grown and a police officer, sharing only an orphan background with Wayne/Grayson (no silly carnival/acrobat crappola). The ending simply affirms, if this is the end of the road for Nolan/Bale, that the idea of Batman will live on (hence the rebuilt Batsignal telling Gordon that Wayne's alive, providing a beacon to scare criminals, AND summon the possible "new" Batman). Does JGL become Batman #2? Does he become Robin? Does he bypass Robin and immediately become Nightwing? Many possibilities.

As for an "Inception"-like ending, it's pretty clear that it's real. Wayne fixed the autopilot six months ago. The pearls are missing. The whole point of Clean Slate is the ability to erase your past (which both Catwoman and Batman wanted to do, and did do). I would like to think that, in the future of this version of the Batman word, Batman stays retired and enjoys living again while JGL takes up the job of protecting the city. I mean, he'd already been retired for 8 years, and his body clearly isn't holding up well despite from coming back from the back injury inflicted by Bane.

Also, for those unhappy with the speed of that recovery, note that for time-compression purposes they didn't actually say his back was broken, but that he ultimately had a protruding vertebrae (hence the reason he could rehab in 5 months).

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8757856)
I think Nolan threw in the "You should use your full name... Robin" as just a bonus to fans. This film played fast-and-loose with the Batman canon. "Robin" is fully grown and a police officer, sharing only an orphan background with Wayne/Grayson (no silly carnival/acrobat crappola). The ending simply affirms, if this is the end of the road for Nolan/Bale, that the idea of Batman will live on (hence the rebuilt Batsignal telling Gordon that Wayne's alive, providing a beacon to scare criminals, AND summon the possible "new" Batman). Does JGL become Batman #2? Does he become Robin? Does he bypass Robin and immediately become Nightwing? Many possibilities.

As for an "Inception"-like ending, it's pretty clear that it's real. Wayne fixed the autopilot six months ago. The pearls are missing. The whole point of Clean Slate is the ability to erase your past (which both Catwoman and Batman wanted to do, and did do). I would like to think that, in the future of this version of the Batman word, Batman stays retired and enjoys living again while JGL takes up the job of protecting the city. I mean, he'd already been retired for 8 years, and his body clearly isn't holding up well despite from coming back from the back injury inflicted by Bane.

Also, for those unhappy with the speed of that recovery, note that for time-compression purposes they didn't actually say his back was broken, but that he ultimately had a protruding vertebrae (hence the reason he could rehab in 5 months).

Agreed. Also, I bet people aren't thrilled with how

Spoiler!

Though I think it's pretty obvious if you paid attention during the movie.

Rams Fan 07-21-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757861)
Agreed. Also, I bet people aren't thrilled with how

Spoiler!

Though I think it's pretty obvious if you paid attention during the movie.

I don't understand why they wouldn't be okay with him escaping the explosion, though.

Like you said, it was mentioned during the movie.

Barret 07-21-2012 02:37 PM

I dont understand 1 thing. If Robin is to take over at the end, where is he going to get the funding for "toys" and vehicles and all that stuff? Bruce Wayne sold off the assets in the Mansion to cover expenses that had occurred and then donated the Mansion to be a boys home.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 8757872)
I don't understand why they wouldn't be okay with him escaping the explosion, though.

Like you said, it was mentioned during the movie.

No, not the
Spoiler!

I'm guessing people are wondering
Spoiler!

Micjones 07-21-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757892)
No, not the
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I guess I missed it too then. Please enlighten me.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 02:58 PM

For Rams Fan, or anyone else wondering WTF I'm talking about in the previous post - my theory before I leave for a 7:00 showing:

Spoiler!

Micjones 07-21-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757905)
For Rams Fan, or anyone else wondering WTF I'm talking about in the previous post - my theory before I leave for a 7:00 showing:

Spoiler!

Possible, but improbable.

Spoiler!

Here's my question...

Spoiler!

Rams Fan 07-21-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757892)
No, not the
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Ah, then yeah, I guess I missed that part.

I've already seen it twice. I don't think I caught that in either showing.

Rams Fan 07-21-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 8754718)
Anyone else find it interesting that Bane was in an outfit similar to that of the Red Hood?

Still wondering if anyone thought this?

Raiderhater 07-21-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8757905)

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

JD10367 07-21-2012 05:12 PM

The way the scene is edited, we can extrapolate "extra time" in there. They show Batman at the controls, then they show a long-distant shot,then they show the timer at 0:05. That doesn't necessarily mean he was at the controls at 0:07. Given the speed of the Batplane, it's possible he could've been at the edge of the blast radius.

Or maybe his buddy Superman swooped in and grabbed him, I dunno. :shrug:

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8758057)
The way the scene is edited, we can extrapolate "extra time" in there. They show Batman at the controls, then they show a long-distant shot,then they show the timer at 0:05. That doesn't necessarily mean he was at the controls at 0:07. Given the speed of the Batplane, it's possible he could've been at the edge of the blast radius.

Or maybe his buddy Superman swooped in and grabbed him, I dunno. :shrug:

It also doesn't mean he was necessarily piloting the Batwing that as carrying the nuke. Seeing it again in 30 minutes, will pay better attention to that scene.

tk13 07-21-2012 05:47 PM

Isn't it possible he just dropped the thing in the water? The Batwing outran missiles earlier in the film... it had speed. I'd have to watch that scene again.

JD10367 07-21-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8758117)
Isn't it possible he just dropped the thing in the water? The Batwing outran missiles earlier in the film... it had speed. I'd have to watch that scene again.

When they show the counter at 0:05 there is no indication that it's under water. They state in the film that the blast radius is six miles. Hence, from bomb detonation point, you'd have to be three miles away. To fly three miles in one minute you'd have to be moving at 180MPH. When you add it all up, it seems like the Batplane is toast.

JD10367 07-21-2012 06:34 PM

One thing not mentioned: the implication that Catwoman is bisexual. She has a little lackey girlfriend who shows up: 1) in the fingerprint scene as her little helper, 2) in the "she stole my wallet" scene as Catwoman's apparent low-level partner and probable roommate, 3) when Wayne shows up at the house she's there again ("he's not a mark"), and 4) when Selina Kyle is looking through the remnants of someone's home, and her little girlfriend shows up and puts her head on her back and hugs her from behind. Hawt. (Especially since Kyle is clearly the dom and probably is into S&M with her little submissive.)

JD10367 07-21-2012 06:35 PM

But notice how quickly Kyle dumps the little tart to run off to Europe. Cold hearted bitch. Although maybe she took her with her; Bruce deserves a threesome.

Deberg_1990 07-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8758172)
One thing not mentioned: the implication that Catwoman is bisexual. She has a little lackey girlfriend who shows up: 1) in the fingerprint scene as her little helper, 2) in the "she stole my wallet" scene as Catwoman's apparent low-level partner and probable roommate, 3) when Wayne shows up at the house she's there again ("he's not a mark"), and 4) when Selina Kyle is looking through the remnants of someone's home, and her little girlfriend shows up and puts her head on her back and hugs her from behind. Hawt. (Especially since Kyle is clearly the dom and probably is into S&M with her little submissive.)

Yea, I caught all that too,.but they just dropped it at the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv 07-21-2012 08:23 PM

Watching the first two tonight in preparation. Don't know when I'll see this one, but I'll be ready.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Brock 07-21-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

It's derived from the Frank Miller Year One series.

mdchiefsfan 07-21-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

I took that as her bring manipulative and getting others to do what she wishes. You've seen it more than me so I respect your views, I am about to see it on monday again, but I see no reasons for those implications.

JD10367 07-21-2012 09:11 PM

So is it just me, or does Bane without his mask look like Rob Gronkowski?

mikeyis4dcats. 07-21-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8757220)
Was that the bat signal at the end? Does that mean he's still gonna be Batman? Will there be a Batman and Robin movie now?

my take is that JGL's "Robin" will actually e the next Batman. Nolan was notoriously not a fan of Robin. With Wayne sprucing up the bat signal and all the talk about Batman being anonymous it totally points to him intending Batman to live on.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-21-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

who says he did? I don't think he did.

mdchiefsfan 07-21-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8758370)
my take is that JGL's "Robin" will actually e the next Batman. Nolan was notoriously not a fan of Robin. With Wayne sprucing up the bat signal and all the talk about Batman being anonymous it totally points to him intending Batman to live on.

One thing I will say, at risk of sounding dorky, is that this movie followed the comic book Knightfall, just like Batman Begins followed Batman: Year one and Dark Knight followed Killing Joke. After Knightfall Bruce Wayne retires and Tim Drake (John Blake) takes the guarding of Gotham as Robin on his own. They followed the comics pretty well in this story.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batma...fall#section_2

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8758166)
When they show the counter at 0:05 there is no indication that it's under water. They state in the film that the blast radius is six miles. Hence, from bomb detonation point, you'd have to be three miles away. To fly three miles in one minute you'd have to be moving at 180MPH. When you add it all up, it seems like the Batplane is toast.

Yep. I made a point to pay close attention during my second viewing tonight.

He couldn't have dropped it in the bay, as JD just pointed out.

So that leaves two options:

Spoiler!

scorpio 07-21-2012 09:57 PM

Apparently John Blake does appear in the comics, however briefly:

http://gotchamovies.com/ul/photos/mo...4b219cc-sc.jpg

Jawshco 07-21-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8758377)
One thing I will say, at risk of sounding dorky, is that this movie followed the comic book Knightfall, just like Batman Begins followed Batman: Year one and Dark Knight followed Killing Joke. After Knightfall Bruce Wayne retires and Tim Drake (John Blake) takes the guarding of Gotham as Robin on his own. They followed the comics pretty well in this story.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batma...fall#section_2

Well... Tim Drake wasn't alone. Jean Paul Valley (Aka Azrael) becomes a twisted Batman who abandons Robin. Then Dick Grayson comes in at the end to help fight against the new Batman with Robin and the healed Bruce doesn't retire. He still tries to be heroic even in a wheelchair. When he fails to save Tim's parents he begins training with Shiva (which is my favorite part of Knightfall).

I actually think TDKR also takes inspiration from the No Man's Land series.

scorpio 07-21-2012 10:08 PM

I like that Nolan draws from a lot of the best mythos of the comics but ultimately creates his own continuity. TDKR has a lot from Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns, but isn't loyal to either. And it works.

I do wish they could have put more of Knightfall in there, like having to re-undergo the ninja training and take back the mantle, but it was already a pretty long movie. A nod to Azrael would have been cool.

tk13 07-21-2012 10:24 PM

We're probably over thinking it all a bit. Who says that Batwing can't go 180 mph? There are certainly plenty of aircraft that can go that fast. It was an advanced piece of technology though, so there's probably options we aren't even thinking about.

Reaper16 07-21-2012 10:25 PM

It literally doesn't matter how Bruce escaped.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8758345)
It's derived from the Frank Miller Year One series.

Exactly, that's where the Holly Robinson begins. She's a prostitute that Selina rescues in year one, but is also used later in the regular continuity. Selina has a thing for protecting prostitutes, but I don't think she's bi-sexual per se. Holly is more like an adopted stray. However, it can't be denied that Catwoman is extremely sexual with bdsm tendacies. She also rooms with other women who serve as fences for her. None of them her girlfriend's though.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8758431)
It literally doesn't matter how Bruce escaped.

It literally doesn't matter that 5 months of the story was blown through in about 15 minutes of film time, either.

Gosh, this is easy.

Reaper16 07-21-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8758435)
It literally doesn't matter that 5 months of the story was blown through in about 15 minutes of film time, either.

I agree.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8758410)
I like that Nolan draws from a lot of the best mythos of the comics but ultimately creates his own continuity. TDKR has a lot from Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns, but isn't loyal to either. And it works.

I do wish they could have put more of Knightfall in there, like having to re-undergo the ninja training and take back the mantle, but it was already a pretty long movie. A nod to Azrael would have been cool.

Agreed, I loved the back breaking scene that was done so iconically in both media even though the movie's Bane is so completely different. It does work. The blown bridges and destruction of Gotham was very No Man's Land to me- so it's both a very well informed movie from the comics, but completely unique.

Definitely the best super hero movie series of all time. Still... I'd love a -more faithful to the comics- movie of Batman, which has never been done on film IMO. The animated movie Masks of the Phantasm was my favorite bat related film. I want a movie series where we can see Robin, so that death in the family and Under the Red Hood can be done. That would be awesome.

BWillie 07-21-2012 11:01 PM

Literally nobody gives a shit how it follows the comic book, just as long as it makes a good movie.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8758475)
Literally nobody gives a shit how it follows the comic book, just as long as it makes a good movie.

Ha! Nobody is a name of an actual Batman villain. I think comparisons between movies and their source material will always matter to fans of the source material. That being said, even comic book publishers these days aren't showing a whole lot of reverence for their characters histories. DC rebooted everything with it's new 52. And it sounds like Marvel is about to do the same thing.

luv 07-21-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8758475)

Just because you've never read the comic book doesn't mean others haven't.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 11:31 PM

Is JGL Grayson, Todd, or Drake? He's first Robin like Grayson, and is an orphan like Grayson and Todd. He's called a hothead- which is Jason Todd's main characteristic. Then he figures out who Batman is, which what Tim Drake did in the comics- who also happens to be Robin in the comics during the Knightfall and No Man's land series. So basically John Blake is all of them, but none of them- he's a familiar new character that tributes the other Robins.

Obviously 4th Robin, Stephanie Brown doesn't exist in this movie storyline (since the new 52 started she might not exist in the comics anymore either) , and since Talia was killed there's little chance that her and Bruce's son, Damian Wayne- the 5th Robin, will be born.

Speaking of Talia's death scene. That was the funniest death groan I've seen since Paul Reuben's death scene in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

tk13 07-21-2012 11:35 PM

I really need to see it again... I have a hard time comparing this one to the other movies so soon. Still, I really think this might have been a better movie than The Dark Knight. Probably because it had more emotional impact. And Tom Hardy was great as Bane. Nolan made some great choices character wise... I wasn't 100% sold on Ledger as Joker or Hardy as Bane... but they were both tremendous villains.

Sure-Oz 07-21-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8758503)
Just because you've never read the comic book doesn't mean others haven't.

I have no idea why you are in this thread if you haven't seen the movie

Sure-Oz 07-21-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8758529)
I really need to see it again... I have a hard time comparing this one to the other movies so soon. Still, I really think this might have been a better movie than The Dark Knight. Probably because it had more emotional impact. And Tom Hardy was great as Bane. Nolan made some great choices character wise... I wasn't 100% sold on Ledger as Joker or Hardy as Bane... but they were both tremendous villains.

I enjoyed TDKR the best for sure of all 3, but they all tie together so greatly. Esp the way the 2nd movie ended transitioning into this one. The fall of batman was emotional seeing it on the screen and watching him come back was spectacular.

Deberg_1990 07-21-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8756632)
They redid it because people were having a hard time understanding him and hearing the lines. It was originally far more muffled.

Oh yea, I know...but I still didn't like it much. It felt like it was spliced in from a a different movie at times. Just a weird artificially amped up sound.

Sure-Oz 07-21-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8758540)
Oh yea, I know...but I still didn't like it much. It felt like it was spliced in from a a different movie at times. Just a weird artificially amped up sound.

Sometimes it was a little loud i agree but nothign that bothered me too much.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 11:51 PM

Did anyone else notice how the actor who played, "Little Finger" in Game of Thrones- was playing another scheming crook at the beginning of this movie, and how the actor who plays the Dective Quinn on the show Dexter is playing another a-hole cop (the one who blew the bridge on Robin) in this movie. I thought that was a little odd.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-21-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8758532)

Lol I was wondering the same thing.

JD10367 07-22-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8758562)
Did anyone else notice how the actor who played, "Little Finger" in Game of Thrones- was playing another scheming crook at the beginning of this movie, and how the actor who plays the Dective Quinn on the show Dexter is playing another a-hole cop (the one who blew the bridge on Robin) in this movie. I thought that was a little odd.

And the rookie-ish jittery cop who shot at him and apologized plays the same role on "Blue Bloods".

Chiefspants 07-22-2012 12:27 AM

Honestly, for the first 90 minutes I was thinking that this was setting up to be something in the vain of Spiderman 3. There were a myriad of plot points that seemed to have no clear direction or purpose, and I was preparing for this to be the biggest letdown in recent memory.

However, my constructed notions of the movie were decimated the moment Miranda Tate revealed her true identity. In my honest opinion, it was a plot twist that matched the scale and surprise of the twist in the Sixth Sense.

I have never seen the last hour of a movie tie up every plot line so effortlessly, the feature's final act was cinematic perfection, and rewarded the faith I have in Nolan's productions.

Anne Hathaway's performance was the surprise of the movie for me, there were times when her performance was carrying the film for me, the range and scope she poured into the role was incredible and exceeded every expectation I held for her performance. Like Ledger before her, Anne's contributions should silence each and every one of her doubters.

For me, it was the absolutely perfect end to the trilogy.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-22-2012 12:52 AM

When you tell me where the trigger is, then you have my permission to die.

Sure-Oz 07-22-2012 12:57 AM

The score is simply amazing for this film as well...

Super anxious to go again

ThaVirus 07-22-2012 01:19 AM

-Watching Batman get wrecked by Bane in the "breaking the bat" scene was extremely uncomfortable. I never felt that Bats was in over his head in either of the two prior films. He was so powerless against Bane in their first encounter; it was tough to watch.

-The Talia twist was great. I just recently played the Arkham City game so I knew Ra's had a daughter, not a son; but I still had no idea about the twist until she stuck him with the knife. I think I was just too overwhelmed with everything else, trying to take in as much as possible.

-How did you guys feel about the Bane backstory? I was expecting the mask to be some sort of vapor inhalation gadget but they went a different route. Being trained by the League of Shadows explains why he was able to go toe-to-toe with Bats, but that doesn't explain why he was so freakishly strong. In their final fight, right after Batman knocks his mask loose, Bane misses Bats and punches straight through a concrete pillar.

-Not to detract any credit from Bane because he did a great job, but during the entire time they sealed the city off I was thinking of how amazing it would have been if the Joker had been there. The whole plot seemed very No Man's Land-y and was the perfect setting for a Joker reappearance.

All in all, the film was great and an amazing end to an amazing trilogy. The third act was the stuff you have wet dreams about and the final 10 minutes or so really pushed it over the top. Loved every minute of the film!

A couple other things:
-Did anyone else catch the Killer Croc reference? JGL was talking about the sewers and mentioned something about seeing a giant alligator down there. I thought that was a cool nod.
-Speaking of JGL, that dude was killer. Great addition to the cast.
-The Bat wing! I want one.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8758674)
-Watching Batman get wrecked by Bane in the "breaking the bat" scene was extremely uncomfortable. I never felt that Bats was in over his head in either of the two prior films. He was so powerless against Bane in their first encounter; it was tough to watch.

-The Talia twist was great. I just recently played the Arkham City game so I knew Ra's had a daughter, not a son; but I still had no idea about the twist until she stuck him with the knife. I think I was just too overwhelmed with everything else, trying to take in as much as possible.

-How did you guys feel about the Bane backstory? I was expecting the mask to be some sort of vapor inhalation gadget but they went a different route. Being trained by the League of Shadows explains why he was able to go toe-to-toe with Bats, but that doesn't explain why he was so freakishly strong. In their final fight, right after Batman knocks his mask loose, Bane misses Bats and punches straight through a concrete pillar.

-Not to detract any credit from Bane because he did a great job, but during the entire time they sealed the city off I was thinking of how amazing it would have been if the Joker had been there. The whole plot seemed very No Man's Land-y and was the perfect setting for a Joker reappearance.

All in all, the film was great and an amazing end to an amazing trilogy. The third act was the stuff you have wet dreams about and the final 10 minutes or so really pushed it over the top. Loved every minute of the film!

A couple other things:
-Did anyone else catch the Killer Croc reference? JGL was talking about the sewers and mentioned something about seeing a giant alligator down there. I thought that was a cool nod.
-Speaking of JGL, that dude was killer. Great addition to the cast.
-The Bat wing! I want one.

I liked it. They were setting up Talia's story by making it appear they were talking about Bane. When ever you take that approach, someone's story will be left out. As for the League of Shadows, that is how Bane was cast in the comics as well. I like the way they explained the mask with what little time they had to work with.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8758540)

The thing that I probably liked the most about Bane's voice had to be the hint of weakness in it. There is this touch of slight pain in his voice.. It's almost like Darth Vader and his labored breathing. It just makes you know that mask is needed and I really enjoyed that.

Reaper16 07-22-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8758562)

You see Aiden Gillen and your first thought is Littlefinger and not Tommy Carcetti? Shame on you.

Tangentially, I also appreciated the Robert Wisdom (Bunny Colvin) cameo.

Deberg_1990 07-22-2012 09:46 AM

I thought it was pretty cool how they blended Pittsburgh and New York to create Gotham. I think the first two movies were an altered Chicago?

Also of note, the final action scene was in broad daylight. I believe all the other films, all the action scenes were during the night time?

luv 07-22-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8758532)

I've skimmed. Haven't read too many posts in depth. I just wanted to get a general feel for what people are saying. "My mind was blown" doesn't exactly give away too much of the movie. I'm done though. You won't see me in here again until after I see it.

Micjones 07-22-2012 10:22 AM

Anne Hathaway is delicious. Never realized until yesterday morning.

OnTheWarpath15 07-22-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8758993)
Anne Hathaway is delicious. Never realized until yesterday morning.

And she was phenomenal in the film.

I read stuff all over the internet leading up to the release where people were pissed she was cast as Selina Kyle - those folks seem to be eating crow this weekend.

Reaper16 07-22-2012 10:45 AM

Never doubt Nolan's casting. OK, maybe the Katie Holmes casting in Batman Begins. But other than that, no doubts!

Brock 07-22-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8759058)
Never doubt Nolan's casting. OK, maybe the Katie Holmes Maggie Gyllenhall casting in Batman BeginsTDK. But other than that, no doubts!

Reaper16 07-22-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8759216)

Maggie is ten times the actress that Katie is.

Brock 07-22-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8759235)
Maggie is ten times the actress that Katie is.

She's complete shit. And a dog to boot.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8759238)

This

Reaper16 07-22-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Ignoring the sexist "durrr she's not hot" thing, I'd advise you to watch Secretary, Sherrybaby, Crazy Heart, and Happy Endings. You'll change whatever misconceptions you hold about her talent as an actor.

Brock 07-22-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8759299)
Ignoring the sexist "durrr she's not hot" thing, I'd advise you to watch Secretary, Sherrybaby, Crazy Heart, and Happy Endings. You'll change whatever misconceptions you hold about her talent as an actor.

Seen them all, she's nothing special. Don't act like some uppity filmphile.

Nightfyre 07-22-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8759299)

This coming from the guy with the ****ed up ranking of this trilogy.
Pull the stick out of your pretentious ass. She sucked in TDK.

Quote:

This.

Reaper16 07-22-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8759307)
Seen them all, she's nothing special. Don't act like some uppity filmphile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8759310)
This coming from the guy with the ****ed up ranking of this trilogy.
Pull the stick out of your pretentious ass. She sucked in TDK.

I can't help it if I'm way better at watching movies than y'all. I try, but I can't seem to help it.