ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Detailed KC Star article about John Dorsey (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268858)

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9316147)
Marty

ROFL

DaWolf 01-13-2013 11:07 PM

What they do with Albert will tell us everything that we need to know about how they plan on drafting with that first pick.

The QB position may also be dependent on how they end up ranking the QBs. For example, if Geno is the 7th best player on their board, they may not take him at 1 overall. But if they've got another QB on their board that they think will be around late first, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to trade back into the first round later on and take that guy. We shall see...

chiefzilla1501 01-13-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9316372)
And still the Panthers end up fixing their QB issue quicker than us. Picking a QB isn't a death sentence. It just means you are giving yourselves a chance to actually find one some day.

I wouldn't get too excited about "fixing" a QB situation with Cam as your long-term guy.

DaWolf 01-13-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9316083)
The guy's mantra is best player available. If he doesn't deem Geno Smith the best player available, even though his draft track record with GB is impeccable, this place is going to erupt something fierce.

I think another thing people are going to have to realize is that we're not hiring Dan Snyder here. We will not be going out and signing big ticket free agents in the offseason. This team is going to be built in the draft. People are going to go bonkers when we ignore free agent after free agent and go back to calling Clark cheap.

I have faith that Dorsey and Reid are going to get the draft right in the long term. But in the short term, I don't see us making many sexy moves...

BossChief 01-13-2013 11:12 PM

Who knows what Jimmy Clausen would have been if we drafted him when Charlie Weis was still here. That was a large part of why we liked him so much at the time.

I'd also like to say that it's unfair to judge the guy when he didn't have a chance to develop...lots of qbs have came out looking bad till the point where the game slows down for them kicks in.

RustShack 01-13-2013 11:13 PM

Reid is great with QB's. If he doesn't think Geno is his franchise QB, he can make him look good for a year and trade him for a killing if he really wants to to get his own guy.

But I think Geno has it. Hes very talented, has the size, has speed, and most importantly has arm strength and accuracy. His problems are fixable, and Reid is one of the best in the business to fix him. I think he has everything Dorsey also looks for in a QB.

Mecca 01-13-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9316359)
not really.

all depth. Their BPA just fell that way.

I find it hard to believe drafting Casey Hayward includes a NEED when you have Sam Shields, Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson on the roster. Essentially drafting a 4th CB. He at that time was their BPA on their board at that slot, regardless of who they had on their team and they still snatched him. Great insurance policy to groom if Sam Shields walks in a year or when Woodson retires. It's not an immediate need for the 2012 season, is the point.

Yeah the guy had a good year because he was sprung into starters minutes cause a couple of the guys ahead of him got hurt. But it's not like they know that on draft day. They are just a team that always drafts secondary, whether to groom and develop or as an insurance policy. Not because there is necessarily a need.

Same with LBer and D-line. Jerrell Worthy didnt fit a need other than a perfect talent to groom. Even then he's not a need that gets thrown into the starting lineup, he's still 2nd/3rd string depth.

That's just how they draft. Players for positional competition and grooming, not necessarily a positional need.

Woodson plays safety now so that opened a CB need.

TimeForWasp 01-13-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9316192)
I would assume that when you are choosing best player available, you're also weighting the position they play as a part of the formula you are using to determine your draft board.

BINGO!!!

The Franchise 01-13-2013 11:18 PM

I'd take Clausen over Stanzi as the 3rd QB.

BossChief 01-13-2013 11:18 PM

John Dorsey is planting the seeds for drafting Geno Smith. He has basically described him to a t.

BossChief 01-13-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9316395)
I'd take Clausen over Stanzi as the 3rd QB.

I'd be ok with having those two as the backups. Let Reid coach them up and flip one of em for picks.

Austin Ed 01-13-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Hawks (Post 9316077)
Huge KU basketball fan? I already love him.

At least one negative.

Austin Ed 01-13-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9316386)
Reid is great with QB's. If he doesn't think Geno is his franchise QB, he can make him look good for a year and trade him for a killing if he really wants to to get his own guy.

But I think Geno has it. Hes very talented, has the size, has speed, and most importantly has arm strength and accuracy. His problems are fixable, and Reid is one of the best in the business to fix him. I think he has everything Dorsey also looks for in a QB.

Fast? Geno's low 40 time is 4.76. High is 5.02.

RustShack 01-13-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin Ed (Post 9316450)
Fast? Geno's low 40 time is 4.76. High is 5.02.

Which would make him one of the faster QB's in the league.

Titty Meat 01-13-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9316455)
Which would make him one of the faster QB's in the league.

Doesn't matter he never runs which is one of the annoying things about him.

Bowser 01-13-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9316457)
Doesn't matter he never runs which is one of the annoying things about him.

If he can develop his game into what Russell Wilson is, that is always looking downfield and running as the very last option, I'd be perfectly ok with that.

HolyHat 01-13-2013 11:52 PM

His fastest 40 time was 4.55, he will run when need be. Kind of like what Aaron Rodgers does. Pass first but very athletic.

tk13 01-13-2013 11:52 PM

At some point we're going to have to put it on the banner at the top of the board: GENO SMITH IS NOT A RUNNING QB. HE'S NOT RUSSELL WILSON OR RGIII, PLEASE MOVE ALONG NOW.

Bowser 01-13-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9316467)
At some point we're going to have to put it on the banner at the top of the board: GENO SMITH IS NOT A RUNNING QB. HE'S NOT RUSSELL WILSON OR RGIII, PLEASE MOVE ALONG NOW.

But how are we going to implement the pistol offense now?

HolyHat 01-13-2013 11:57 PM

He will run the pistol read option a lot, but throw mostly play action screens and slants out of it, with the occasional keep.

HolyHat 01-13-2013 11:58 PM

That pistol offense is what makes Geno so deadly on 3rd down or in the red zone. When you run it correctly it is almost impossible to defend.

Chief'nDisBiznitch 01-13-2013 11:59 PM

this guy is another ***** hell **** everything up

Sorter 01-14-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief'nDisBiznitch (Post 9316481)
this guy is another ***** hell **** everything up

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7089/closet.gif

RustShack 01-14-2013 12:02 AM

I don't want him to run. But he has the legs to make something happen if be needs too.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-14-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

The guy's mantra is best player available. If he doesn't deem Geno Smith the best player available, even though his draft track record with GB is impeccable, this place is going to erupt something fierce.

It's a bit more nuanced than that. He did say the guy who would improve the roster the most. By that metric, you have to figure the Chiefs are thinking QB. The surplus value is astronomical.

rtmike 01-14-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9316154)
Good point because I keep hearing stuff like Geno being only the 15th or 20th best prospect.

Best case scenario, trading the #1 pick & still get Geno around 10 or so. :hmmm:

HolyHat 01-14-2013 12:46 AM

If we don't take him, the jags will. Especially with him being from Florida. We have to take him #1 or we will lose him.

ChiefGator 01-14-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9316314)
The Packers drafted 5 straight defensive players to start last years draft, following a season where their defense killed them. Unless its a coincidence, their BPA formula includes need.

As does Reid's. They have been drafting very heavy in defense the last 2-3 years in Philly trying to repair that D.

ChiefGator 01-14-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 9316381)
I think another thing people are going to have to realize is that we're not hiring Dan Snyder here. We will not be going out and signing big ticket free agents in the offseason. This team is going to be built in the draft. People are going to go bonkers when we ignore free agent after free agent and go back to calling Clark cheap.

I have faith that Dorsey and Reid are going to get the draft right in the long term. But in the short term, I don't see us making many sexy moves...

I think we may see more with Reid prompting him. Reid has made some splashes with trades and free agents over the last couple years. I generally agree though. Slow and steady through the draft is MOST of what we will do. Which isn't really that different than what Piolli was trying to do (despite his bad drafting record).

HonestChieffan 01-14-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9316200)
But will one of those guys be the BPA at #1? If not, in the later rounds will one of them be there? The pressure will be on by the city and the fans with that #1 overall pick. If it isn't a QB at #1, they better be selling some fancy shit or Chiefs fans won't be buying. Dorsey and Reid's honeymoon will be over in KC already. It's been 30 years.

Seriously doubt Dorsey will walk away from his deep evaluations to get Geno to placate a few fans who have fallen in love with that option. These guys sound like they will move with little emotion and a lot of thought. Tought spot with no top drawer clear winner QB in the draft but you have to trust their study over the Geno or die we read here. One move wont define how fans react. Drop a few wins in Arrowhead and the place will be full

the Talking Can 01-14-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9316467)

wrong, he's black

ncCHIEFfan 01-14-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9316596)
I think we may see more with Reid prompting him. Reid has made some splashes with trades and free agents over the last couple years. I generally agree though. Slow and steady through the draft is MOST of what we will do. Which isn't really that different than what Piolli was trying to do (despite his bad drafting record).

I don't think any team will be successful building through the draft when the coaching is/was a bad as it was in KC the past several years.

Deberg_1990 01-14-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9316625)
wrong, he's black

If Warren Moon were playing today he would for sure run the read option. : )

the Talking Can 01-14-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9316632)
If Warren Moon were playing today he would for sure run the read option. : )

WHILE WEARING PARACHUTE PANTS

Deberg_1990 01-14-2013 07:43 AM

heh, someone on the radio this morning brought up an interesting thought. Would Vince Young have benefitted from the read option? Was he mis used by Fisher or maybe a few years too early?

Crush 01-14-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9316636)
heh, someone on the radio this morning brought up an interesting thought. Would Vince Young have benefitted from the read option? Was he mis used by Fisher or maybe a few years too early?

No, he was just an immature headcase forced down Fisher's throat by Bud Adams.

RippedmyFlesh 01-14-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9316457)
Doesn't matter he never runs which is one of the best things about him.

FYP

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9316623)
Seriously doubt Dorsey will walk away from his deep evaluations to get Geno to placate a few fans who have fallen in love with that option. These guys sound like they will move with little emotion and a lot of thought. Tought spot with no top drawer clear winner QB in the draft but you have to trust their study over the Geno or die we read here. One move wont define how fans react. Drop a few wins in Arrowhead and the place will be full

In your mind.

These guys absolutely DO operate with depth of thought and analysis. That's why they like Geno A LOT more than the average fan.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9316506)
It's a bit more nuanced than that. He did say the guy who would improve the roster the most. By that metric, you have to figure the Chiefs are thinking QB. The surplus value is astronomical.

Exactly.

dallaschiefsfan 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

We won't know for sure until after the combine and east/west game and senior bowl, but if it's pure BPA...prepare for Jarvis Jones...regardless of our current needs...unless we're able to somehow trade down and Geno or Wilson last until our traded down pick. This is not what I want to happen...it's what I'm guessing will happen.

The only consolation is that I'm pretty sure that there will be a QB of low first round value that will slip to our 2nd pick. That's the nature of drafts where the perception is that there are no worthwhile franchise QB's. In this rare instance, this flawed perception could work for us.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 9316518)
Best case scenario, trading the #1 pick & still get Geno around 10 or so. :hmmm:

ROFL

Geno falling to 10 is almost as hilarious as people who think we can take Luke Joeckel at 1-1 and still get Tyler Wilson in the 2nd round.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 9316716)
We won't know for sure until after the combine and east/west game and senior bowl, but if it's pure BPA...prepare for Jarvis Jones...regardless of our current needs...unless we're able to somehow trade down and Geno or Wilson last until our traded down pick. This is not what I want to happen...it's what I'm guessing will happen.

The only consolation is that I'm pretty sure that there will be a QB of low first round value that will slip to our 2nd pick. That's the nature of drafts where the perception is that there are no worthwhile franchise QB's. In this rare instance, this flawed perception could work for us.

Spinal stenosis.

Jarvis Jones won't be the top pick. He might not even be a top 10 pick when it's all said an done. Hell, he could fall clear out of the 1st round like Marcus McNeill did.

WildTurkey 01-14-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9316717)
ROFL

Geno falling to 10 is almost as hilarious as people who think we can take Luke Joeckel at 1-1 and still get Tyler Wilson in the 2nd round.

Sweet! Can we move Albert to guard once we get the almighty Joeckel? I hope so. *sarcasm*

dallaschiefsfan 01-14-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9316720)
Spinal stenosis.

Jarvis Jones won't be the top pick. He might not even be a top 10 pick when it's all said an done. Hell, he could fall clear out of the 1st round like Marcus McNeill did.

You might be right...but without the combine and final games, I'm in a holding pattern on what I think. Currently, this is my best guess. You know how this works. Several guys drop...several rise. I think Jones will either stay steady or rise. We will see.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 9316730)
You might be right...but without the combine and final games, I'm in a holding pattern on what I think. Currently, this is my best guess. You know how this works. Several guys drop...several rise. I think Jones will either stay steady or rise. We will see.

He's going to be thoroughly examined by doctors at the combine.

That same examination caused Marcus McNeill's grade to drop a FULL ROUND instantaneously.

RealSNR 01-14-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 9316716)

The only consolation is that I'm pretty sure that there will be a QB of low first round value that will slip to our 2nd pick.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WrjwaqZfjIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefMojo 01-14-2013 08:49 AM

We don't need a OLB though as we have Houston and Hali. If we don't take a QB with the #1 pick, it will likely be a LT in Joeckel. With that said I still don't understand why we would take a LT when we can re-sign Albert or at worst tag him for another year?

Star is a excellent prospect but we don't need him at NT after selecting Poe.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9316745)
With that said I still don't understand why we would take a LT when we can re-sign Albert or at worst tag him for another year?

Unless Albert's back is worse than we all think, he'll be re-signed quickly.

Don't worry about it.

dallaschiefsfan 01-14-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9316737)
He's going to be thoroughly examined by doctors at the combine.

That same examination caused Marcus McNeill's grade to drop a FULL ROUND instantaneously.

All depends on whether he's projected to be an elite pass rusher for at least the length of the first contract. Win now...teams don't care about the longevity of guy's careers. Can he play elite for the next 5 years? That's what the physicals will seek to answer.

ChiefMojo 01-14-2013 08:58 AM

Btw next years OT class looks real good with Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews also if we need one then. Both were 1st round locks and went back to school.

Dallas, why Jones when we have Hali and Houston???

htismaqe 01-14-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 9316759)
All depends on whether he's projected to be an elite pass rusher for at least the length of the first contract. Win now...teams don't care about the longevity of guy's careers. Can he play elite for the next 5 years? That's what the physicals will seek to answer.

Marcus McNeill was an elite LT prospect. One of the "big 3" of QB, LT, and DE/OLB. He was a potential top 10 pick that fell to the 2nd round. Why do you suppose that was?

They absolutely DO care about it. The fact that McNeill struggled to finish his rookie contract and now looks to be finished after just 5 years is going to further hurt Jones.

Easy 6 01-14-2013 09:10 AM

Just made a $20 bet with a co-worker who says we wont even reach 8-8 next year, how many others here would make the same wager?

dallaschiefsfan 01-14-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9316772)
They absolutely DO care about it. The fact that McNeill struggled to finish his rookie contract and now looks to be finished after just 5 years is going to further hurt Jones.

That's my point. McNeil slipped because the physicals did not project him to finish his contract as elite. They were right. We'll see what they find and project regarding Jones. This is why I said that the combine has to pass before having a definitive opinion on any of these guys...and the pro-days in some guys' cases.

RealSNR 01-14-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9316767)
Btw next years OT class looks real good with Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews also if we need one then.

God damn it! Charlie Casserly has found out where we live! :eek:

Titty Meat 01-14-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 9316692)
FYP

How is that a good thing?

KCrockaholic 01-14-2013 10:06 AM

I trust Dorsey to make the right call on Geno. With that said, if we don't draft him, I'll be pissed. And if we don't draft him, we had better of raped somebody for picks with a trade down of some sort. There is no other option. You live and die by the quarterback. I'm sure Dorsey knows this. So getting that potential franchise QB is what this off season is all about. If we get an average washed up retread, this off season is a failure.

There is 1 goal this off season.

ChiefMojo 01-14-2013 10:06 AM

Lol trust me I hate the talk of LT's with the first pick but just showing that by tagging Albert this year at worst and his back doesn't hold up.... we have good options next year if needed.

We NEED a QB with the #1 pick this year!

Nightfyre 01-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9316797)
Just made a $20 bet with a co-worker who says we wont even reach 8-8 next year, how many others here would make the same wager?

I'd wait til after the draft to make such a bet. JMO.

The Franchise 01-14-2013 10:47 AM

If you don't re-sign Albert.....put ****ing Stephenson in. He was at least serviceable.

Easy 6 01-14-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9316997)
I'd wait til after the draft to make such a bet. JMO.

I have faith that the draft will be just fine, we'll get a QB and given a solid scheme and faith in their leadership, they should be good for atleast 8-8.

Not going to go overboard into 10-6, 11-5 land, but 8-8 should be more than doable.

We'll also have a patsy schedule.

allen_kcCard 01-14-2013 10:57 AM

I am not all that worried about the draft now. I do really hope that we draft Geno, but not because of what I think about him, instead because if we do that means that Dorsey and Reid think that he is the real deal. If we don't, then I will accept that either they don't see enough of an upside to justify taking him above someone else that they see more in to take them in spite of the huge void at the QB position.

My pipe dream is as some others have said here, in either trading back and getting Geno anyhow, or take someone else and trade back into the first to get someone that they see as damn near the same as Geno.

Chief_For_Life58 01-14-2013 11:09 AM

dorsey and AR know the qb position and they certainly know talent. I want Geno but like others have said, these guys know better than probably just about anyone if they think hes the real deal or not, i'll be content with any decision they make. They know whats best.

rabblerouser 01-14-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9316081)
He turns over every rock on a player? So does he talk to Carl the janitor?

Well, those gum wrappers aren't going to pick themselves up, Carl!!

Sorry...had to.

Chiefshrink 01-14-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldmember (Post 9316085)
I'm more excited about this hire than Reid's. I'm not too excited about his choice of def coordinator.

This !!

Chiefshrink 01-14-2013 12:19 PM

The fact that you see in the last 2yrs very young, athletic QB guys emerge like Cam, RGIII, Wilson, and even Luck with Johnny Football waiting in the wings who are defying the NFL developmental 'consistent success timeline logic' makes it much much easier for Dorsey/Reid to take Geno at ONE regardless of whether he is a solid No.1 or not especially when you NEED a QB !.

How in the hell, do you not take Geno when you see guys like Cam,RGIII, Wilson and Luck rise to the top knowing Geno can be every bit as good if not better in some cases?

mikey23545 01-14-2013 02:06 PM

God, I hope Dorsey passes on Geno Smith just to listen to the shrieking of all the internet football experts on here...LMAO

HolyHat 01-14-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9317566)
God, I hope Dorsey passes on Geno Smith just to listen to the shrieking of all the internet football experts on here...LMAO

^^^Definition of a total Douchebag ^^^

mikey23545 01-14-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

I assume you realize there are several posters on this board with a far greater NFL drafting acumen than John Dorsey.

htismaqe 01-14-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9317608)
I assume you realize there are several posters on this board with a far greater NFL drafting acumen than John Dorsey.

Your and idiot.

BigMeatballDave 01-14-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9317566)

We hope you die in a fire.

HolyHat 01-14-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

I can tell your ass this, I have forgotten more about football in my 28 years of life than you will ever learn. I WAS a scout, and WORKED for an NFL team. GTFO with your bullshit.

Sorter 01-14-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9317754)
I can tell your ass this, I have forgotten more about football in my 28 years of life than you will ever learn. I WAS a scout, and WORKED for an NFL team. GTFO with your bullshit.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-byu8rLK3Rh...0/fistbump.gif

mikey23545 01-14-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9317625)
Your and idiot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9317697)
We hope you die in a fire.

Quote:

You're so vain, I bet you thought that post was about you, bout you, bout you...LMAO

mikey23545 01-14-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Link?

O.city 01-14-2013 02:48 PM

As bad as it will be if we don't draft geno, if we do, everyone who was/is against him will be under immense fire.

Titty Meat 01-14-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9317771)
You're so vain, I bet you thought that post was about you, bout you, bout you...LMAO

bundle of sticks

htismaqe 01-14-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9317771)

Thinking you're a ****ing moron has nothing to do with thinking you were speaking directly to me, or anybody else you quoted.

You're a ****ing moron. That's just a general observation.

Moron.