ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252301)

mlyonsd 11-09-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8094655)
Oh, I was thinking he was looking for a set... :doh!:

When I was looking for a slicing knife I used CI's/America's Test Kitchen's advice and bought this one (Victorinox). Holy crap is it one nice slicer.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12-...owViewpoints=1

Fire Me Boy! 11-09-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8094894)
When I was looking for a slicing knife I used CI's/America's Test Kitchen's advice and bought this one (Victorinox). Holy crap is it one nice slicer.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12-...owViewpoints=1

Yup, the retested and that's the reigning champ for slicers as of October 2011.

Fire Me Boy! 11-09-2011 01:30 PM

The reigning boning knife: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-475...=3RCXG484H0I6B

The reigning bread slicer: http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classi...=3RCXG484H0I6B

mnchiefsguy 11-11-2011 08:50 PM

Okay guys, I am wanting to do the flaxseed oil seasoning for my cast iron skillets. One question...where can I get flaxseed oil?

Hy-vee and Trader Joe's had Flax oil...but it was in with their dietary supplements. It was a small bottle, and had rosemary in it as well. The label also specifically said to not expose the oil to direct heat. The bottles were very small, if this is the right stuff I would probably have to be a few bottles (I have five cast iron skillets to do)

Would Whole Foods Market have it? I know there is one out by Microcenter on Metcalf, is that the only in the KC Metro? Any other places that would have this stuff?

Thanks in advance for the advise guys!

Phobia 11-11-2011 09:18 PM

I have a chef's knife from WS - goes for $140. Wusthoff version... Love it. In fact, I have 2 of them. Willing to let the other go for $100 or trade for something of interest. I like this knife better than either of my shuns or my global.

RJ 11-11-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8092083)
For seasoning, I still haven't done this, but according to Cook's Illustrated, this is the ultimate way to season a cast iron pan. It'll take some time, but you'll be rewarded.

From a recent edition of Cooks Illustrated (please pardon any typos - I had to re-type it from the magazine)

*To strip a cast iron pan of seasoning, spray it with oven cleaner, wait 30 minutes, wash with soapy water, and thoroughly wipe with paper towels. :

I am highly skeptical of the bolded section. I don't like the idea of cleaning a skillet with Easy Off.

Phobia 11-11-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 8100984)
I am highly skeptical of the bolded section. I don't like the idea of cleaning a skillet with Easy Off.

You can use lacquer thinner if you want.

Setsuna 11-11-2011 11:35 PM

All that is too much to season one of those.

mnchiefsguy 11-12-2011 12:13 AM

Here is a google article I found that explains the pros of using food grade flaxseed oil to season a cast iron pan:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

According to article, food grade flaxseed oil needs to be kept refrigerated. I am going to give Whole Foods a call in the morning and see if they have any.

Fire Me Boy! 11-12-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 8100984)

Always trust in the Cook's Illustrated, my friend.

mnchiefsguy 11-12-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8101529)
Always trust in the Cook's Illustrated, my friend.

So do you endorse the easy-off method for getting a cast iron skillet ready for re-seasoning then?

I have read that the skillet should sit for 24 hours with the oven cleaner on it. I am thinking of just sticking with 30 minutes though.

Fritz88 11-12-2011 12:41 PM

God damn, can we settle on one seasoning method?!!

My head is about to explode trying to choose a way season it and caring for it.

Fire Me Boy! 11-12-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8101578)
So do you endorse the easy-off method for getting a cast iron skillet ready for re-seasoning then?

I have read that the skillet should sit for 24 hours with the oven cleaner on it. I am thinking of just sticking with 30 minutes though.

I've never tried it, though I do plan to. That said, I'm a longtime subscriber to CI, and I've tried many of their methods and recipes, and have never even once been led astray.

Stewie 11-12-2011 01:48 PM

I would never use Easy-Off on cast iron. Who thinks this is a good idea?

If your old pan needs to be rejuvenated use a little olive oil and a synthetic wool pad. It takes some elbow grease if your pan is really nasty/rusty, but it gets the pan back to where it can be seasoned.

Seasoning is simple. Some oil and heat... repeat a few of times. Those instructions can be Googled.

brett 11-12-2011 02:05 PM

goood for meat or things that dont stick

Stewie 11-12-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brett (Post 8101779)
goood for meat or things that dont stick

A well seasoned cast iron skillet is non-stick.

Ugly Duck 11-12-2011 04:00 PM

Old CI pans are better than the new ones cuz they used to mill down the rough texture on the cooking surface. Too much labor & expense for modern-day companies, so now they just leave the cooking surface as rough as the mold it came from. Eventually, a metal spatula will shave down the roughness (never use a plastic spatula on cast iron). Here's what I do to cheat on the seasoning process... take a grinder to the cooking surface of a cheap CI pan. Use ever-diminishing grit sizes till you have a smooth, shiny surface. Then just season as you normally do. This method turns a cheap, modern-day CI pan into one just as good as the old ones... gets a coupla years head start on developing a slick, glassy, stick-free surface. When cooking, let 'em get really hot before you put anything in them. Ain't no non-stick material on there to burn & it develops a totally even temp across the surface.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Dang! That Duck dude is some kinda intelligentsia genious kinda guy!" But you're wrong. I've gone vegan & veggies don't seem to care if they're on an evenly-heated, smooth, glassy, stick-free surface. Meat, on the other hand, totally loves a well-seasoned cast iron pan. You degenerate carnivores would be well-served using my method of preparing cast iron for cooking meat. Might as well enjoy yourselves now, cuz you won't get to heaven destroying the planet & being mean to animals. Won't be nothin' but vegans up there. Maybe a few 7th Day Adventists & assorted Mormons. Wonder if we can eat meat once we're up there? Maybe a fat BLT with heirloom tomatoes...

mnchiefsguy 11-12-2011 07:43 PM

Interesting tips. Been reading a lot of stuff online, seems like there are many ways to get it done. Some of the pans I have have not been used in years, my grandma pretty much just used one pan the last years of her life, the rest she stored, and they do not appeared to be seasoned anymore. No real rust either. I am going to get some flaxseed oil tomorrow, get the rust off, and see if I can't get these pans back to life.

mnchiefsguy 11-12-2011 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here they are, in varying conditions. Leaning towards doing the oven cleaner to get them stripped and cleaned real good, and then spend the next few weeks doing 4-5 rounds of seasoning on them with some flaxseed oil. Would love some advice from the experts though, even though these pans have not be used in years, they were my grandmas, and I would really like to do them right, not only to get them nice again, but to cook some good food in them too.

hometeam 11-12-2011 08:33 PM

reading through this thread has inspired me to get one. I fancy myself a pretty good cook, and this is something I have never done.

Fire Me Boy! 11-12-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 8101732)
I would never use Easy-Off on cast iron. Who thinks this is a good idea?

If your old pan needs to be rejuvenated use a little olive oil and a synthetic wool pad. It takes some elbow grease if your pan is really nasty/rusty, but it gets the pan back to where it can be seasoned.

Seasoning is simple. Some oil and heat... repeat a few of times. Those instructions can be Googled.

Did you read the post I made? The guys at Cook's Illustrated actually recommend it before doing the flaxseed seasoning. Those guys know their shit and are famously well-researched and practiced.

RJ 11-12-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8101098)
You can use lacquer thinner if you want.

That's for the martinis.

RJ 11-12-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8102676)
Did you read the post I made? The guys at Cook's Illustrated actually recommend it before doing the flaxseed seasoning. Those guys know their shit and are famously well-researched and practiced.

I'm going to give it a try. My fvorite cast iron skillet is in need and with cold weather upon us it is time to turn my eyes toward indoor cooking.

Still skeptical, but trusting in FMB and Cooks Illustrated.

mnchiefsguy 11-12-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 8102728)
I'm going to give it a try. My fvorite cast iron skillet is in need and with cold weather upon us it is time to turn my eyes toward indoor cooking.

FMB is pretty passionate about cooking, I think his advice is sound as well. Oven cleaner is designed for high heat surfaces, so it does make sense.

Fire Me Boy! 11-13-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 8102728)

Take pics of the process, if you think about it. :thumb:

I'm going to try it, as well, probably in December between a business trip and Christmas.

mnchiefsguy 11-13-2011 02:06 PM

Got my bottle of flaxseed oil from whole foods. 20 bucks for a 24 oz. bottle. Hopefully that will be enough. I have six skillets to do, but am going to do one all the way through before I do the others.

mnchiefsguy 11-13-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

For seasoning, I still haven't done this, but according to Cook's Illustrated, this is the ultimate way to season a cast iron pan. It'll take some time, but you'll be rewarded.

From a recent edition of Cooks Illustrated (please pardon any typos - I had to re-type it from the magazine):

Looks like you only need 1 tablespoon per seasoning session, so five to six tablespoons per pan, so I should have enough flaxseed oil.

Getting ready to strip my first skillet. Will post some pics of the process. Wish me luck guys!

sd4chiefs 11-13-2011 02:38 PM

I am hitting my head with a cast iron skillet right now. God the Chiefs suck.

sd4chiefs 11-13-2011 02:40 PM

LMAO

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RXEl16CKQb0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RXEl16CKQb0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Baby Lee 11-13-2011 03:13 PM

Anyone get me one within 5 feet of Cassel. I might be a fan for life.

Stewie 11-13-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8102676)

They admit they know nothing about non-Yankee cooking. Hell, they add liquid smoke to recipes. Did you see the episode where they were trying to smoke a pork butt? Ridiculous.

mnchiefsguy 11-13-2011 03:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, the project is underway. Attached are four pics:

1. The pan starting out.
2. The pan after 30 minutes of easy off and being scrubbed out with hot soapy water.
3. The pan after being in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes.
4. The pan after the flaxseed oil coating, right before going into the oven.

It is in the oven now, will report back later on tonight how the first coat went!

Very light coat of Flaxseed oil, and the oil is not very dark. Will see how it turns out after the oven.

mnchiefsguy 11-13-2011 05:05 PM

The hour in the oven is done. Oven is off, time for the two hour cool-down.

FYI, the oven smoked pretty good for the first 10-15 minutes, but did not smoke at all after that. I turned on our attic fan since it was relatively warm outside, so that helped quite a bit.

mnchiefsguy 11-13-2011 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just took the cast iron out of the oven, still a little warm, but it has been in the turned off oven for over two hours. Not as dark as a fully seasoned skillet, but the surface sure does feel smooth. I think after four more rounds of seasoning, all is going to be good. Here is a pic.

Will probably try to do round 2 of seasoning on Tuesday when I get home from work.

bevischief 11-13-2011 07:41 PM

I am going Cassel....

jet62 11-14-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

From a recent edition of Cooks Illustrated (please pardon any typos - I had to re-type it from the magazine):

I am on round four of the above method. The only thing I did different is put my pan in the oven while self cleaning. When finished the thing looked like I had sand blasted it. Right now I can't believe how great it looks. A hard shinny glass like finish. I can't wait to try it out. Two more rounds to go.

mnchiefsguy 11-14-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jet62 (Post 8111367)
I am on round four of the above method. The only thing I did different is put my pan in the oven while self cleaning. When finished the thing looked like I had sand blasted it. Right now I can't believe how great it looks. A hard shinny glass like finish. I can't wait to try it out. Two more rounds to go.

Awesome! After one coat, my pan feels very smooth, can't wait to do another round tomorrow night.

Did you use your pan at all between rounds? Or are you waiting till all of the seasoning is done? I am trying to wait till I get the pan all the way done, but I am anxious to try it out as well.

jet62 11-14-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8111407)
Awesome! After one coat, my pan feels very smooth, can't wait to do another round tomorrow night.

Did you use your pan at all between rounds? Or are you waiting till all of the seasoning is done? I am trying to wait till I get the pan all the way done, but I am anxious to try it out as well.

I didn't use it between rounds. It's hard not to though. I noticed where some of the oil dripped in the oven onto the porcelain oven bottom, it made the same shinny coating. I need new grates for my grill and I am thinking about doing this to them too. The Weber porcelain coated ones. The things always rust out in a few years. Maybe this will prevent that.

jspchief 11-14-2011 05:36 PM

Can you use CI on a ceramic cook top?

Sent from my ADR6350

jet62 11-14-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8111460)

Sent from my ADR6350

I do with no problems.

mnchiefsguy 11-14-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Sent from my ADR6350

As long as you are not slamming the skillet down on the stovetop full force. I have used mine on ours, just remember the cast iron is pretty heavy, so don't slam them on the cooktop.

mnchiefsguy 11-15-2011 05:45 PM

Seasoning coat number 2 is underway. Noticed the oven is not smoking nearly as much this go around. Will post a pic of the skillet later on tonight when it is all done.

mnchiefsguy 11-15-2011 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Coat #2 is done, here is a pic. Looks pretty close to the last coat, but it does feel smoother to the touch. 3-4 coats more to go!

Fire Me Boy! 11-15-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8114469)
Coat #2 is done, here is a pic. Looks pretty close to the last coat, but it does feel smoother to the touch. 3-4 coats more to go!

Out of curiosity, are you coating the outside of the pan too?

mnchiefsguy 11-15-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8114476)
Out of curiosity, are you coating the outside of the pan too?

I had not for the first two coats. Was afraid if too much oil would up on the bottom it would give me smoking problems whenever I put it on the burner. The outside of the pan is a fairly shiny black to begin with, and I don't see that stuff coming off with just oven cleaner. Should I do one or two coats on the outside? Not sure how the coating on the outside would effect the cookability of the skillet. There was no visible rust either on the outside of the skillet. What do you think?

Saccopoo 11-15-2011 11:51 PM

You should purchase a nickel plated cast iron skillet and you wouldn't have to season it or worry about rust or whatever.

tooge 11-16-2011 09:15 AM

i don't understand the confusion with CI. It is THE simplest cookware to use. Clean it with either the clean cycle on the oven or easy off. Wipe it down with a very thin coat of canola oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil. Place in oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. Repeat the process two or three more times. You will have a semi non stick pan that becomes a completely non stick pan over time. Every time you use it, pour a cup of hot water from the sink in the pan when done cooking in it, but while it is still on the burner to deglaze the pan. Scrub lightly with a plastic brush. Rinse with water and wipe with a towel. When dry, add about a half tablespoon of oil, and wipe the entire inside of the pan with it in a very thin coat, trying to remove as much as you can with a paper towel. Put the pan away. Easy as pie. Makes a great sear, is non stick, and lasts lifetimes.

mnchiefsguy 11-16-2011 09:32 PM

Starting coat #3. Will post some pics when it is done. Late start tonight, but I will be up late anyways, so figured I would get it done.

mnchiefsguy 11-17-2011 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished coat #3. Looks pretty similiar to coat #2, although I noticed around the edge and walls of the skillet are starting to turn a bit darker. Going to do three more rounds. The coat of flaxseed oil I am putting on is pretty thin, which is what the instructions suggest, but I wonder if it is too thin? Too thick is bad, so I would rather be too thin and have to do an extra round or two of seasoning than to have too much. Also, for the last few coats I think I will go ahead and coat the entire outside of the pan as well, since there is plenty of oil on the paper towel after I wipe out the inside...might as well put it to good use. I am anxious to start using the pan and see it action!

Phobia 11-17-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jet62 (Post 8111484)
I do with no problems.

Wait a minute. I've always been told that ceramic will break if you use CI on it so I haven't. What's the real scoop? Is it an impact concern or a heat retention concern?

Bill Lundberg 11-17-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8117293)
Wait a minute. I've always been told that ceramic will break if you use CI on it so I haven't. What's the real scoop? Is it an impact concern or a heat retention concern?

I've done it multiple times with no issues.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

I have used my CI on the last three glasstop stoves I've had with no problems at all. The CI will scratch if you move it around, so you have to be careful.

Alton deFlat 11-17-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

I've had no problems. Used both CI skillets, and a cast iron dutch oven. The latter is always on the stove for hours, since I use it for chili and soups.

sedated 11-17-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8115200)
i don't understand the confusion with CI. It is THE simplest cookware to use. Clean it with either the clean cycle on the oven or easy off. Wipe it down with a very thin coat of canola oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil. Place in oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. Repeat the process two or three more times. You will have a semi non stick pan that becomes a completely non stick pan over time. Every time you use it, pour a cup of hot water from the sink in the pan when done cooking in it, but while it is still on the burner to deglaze the pan. Scrub lightly with a plastic brush. Rinse with water and wipe with a towel. When dry, add about a half tablespoon of oil, and wipe the entire inside of the pan with it in a very thin coat, trying to remove as much as you can with a paper towel. Put the pan away. Easy as pie. Makes a great sear, is non stick, and lasts lifetimes.

I love how the post begins and ends with "its THE SIMPLEST thing EVER," with a full paragraph of instructions for each use in between.

Cast iron may be superior cookware, but it is not the simplest cookware to use - you can't soak it, and you have the extra step of rubbing it with oil after every use.

mnchiefsguy 11-19-2011 03:29 PM

Starting coat #4, will post pics when it is done later on tonight. Hoping to do coat #5 tomorrow, and will probably do a sixth and final coat on Tuesday night.

Fritz88 11-19-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8122768)
Starting coat #4, will post pics when it is done later on tonight. Hoping to do coat #5 tomorrow, and will probably do a sixth and final coat on Tuesday night.

Great job. Just got my 10inch Lodge per FMB's recommendation. I will probably post questions and thoughts on this thread.

brett 11-19-2011 06:09 PM

coook burgers on the, ps where can i order one

mnchiefsguy 11-19-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8122845)
Great job. Just got my 10inch Lodge per FMB's recommendation. I will probably post questions and thoughts on this thread.

FMB's posts are great, I look to them for guidance. Skillet is cooling off now in the oven, will be taking it out for a look see and some pics in a couple of hours.

I am really looking forward to cooking on a really good, well seasoned skillet.

Buck 11-19-2011 06:37 PM

Damn that's pretty impressive mn,

I was pretty skeptical about all this stuff until I saw your pictures.

Fire Me Boy! 11-19-2011 06:41 PM

Very cool stuff, dude. I'm going to do this at some point before the end of the year. I also have a couple of carbon steel pans that need to be re-done. Think I may use this method on them.

Thanks for detailing the process with pics!

mnchiefsguy 11-19-2011 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys...I hope that the skillet cooks as well as it is starting to look. 4th coat is done, starting to get a dark black sheen to it. Feeling really smooth as well. Two more coats to go, I think it is going to cooking really good once all is said and done.

Fire Me Boy! 11-19-2011 09:13 PM

I had the wife pick up some flaxseed oil and some Easy Off tonight. Will start one of my carbon steel pans tomorrow!

mnchiefsguy 11-19-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8123279)
I had the wife pick up some flaxseed oil and some Easy Off tonight. Will start one of my carbon steel pans tomorrow!

Awesome! Post some pics, we can compare results! :thumb:

Fire Me Boy! 11-20-2011 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Carbon steel, 10-inch and 8-inch. Stripped of seasoning, in the oven now with a coat of flaxseed.

RockChalk 11-22-2011 10:21 AM

Anyone ever cook pork chops in a cast iron skillet?

Fire Me Boy! 11-22-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8132628)
Anyone ever cook pork chops in a cast iron skillet?

Sure, why not? Only thing you'd want to be wary of are acidic ingredients, especially if the pan is not really well seasoned.

RockChalk 11-22-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8132694)
Sure, why not? Only thing you'd want to be wary of are acidic ingredients, especially if the pan is not really well seasoned.

Yeah, mine is fairly new, so I'm still working on the seasoning. I don't really overload anything I cook in it with acidic ingredients though.

Have you ever done a chop in one? If so, any recipe/seasonings you recommend?

Fire Me Boy! 11-22-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8132722)
Yeah, mine is fairly new, so I'm still working on the seasoning. I don't really overload anything I cook in it with acidic ingredients though.

Have you ever done a chop in one? If so, any recipe/seasonings you recommend?

I like to just season with salt and pepper, then top with some kind of fruit sauce, compote or chutney. Apples are classic with pork. Try a really good applesauce, or make one of your own. Most fruits pair really well with it. Try apricots, pineapple, oranges, cherries... one of my favorites is blueberries.

The key to a good pork chop is buying them thick and not overcooking them. People think it needs to be white throughout, and that's not the case. You don't want it medium rare, but as long as the internal temp is 145 degrees, you're good to go. And you can remove from the heat before it gets there and tent under some foil to get carryover.

Fire Me Boy! 11-22-2011 11:15 AM

Give this one a shot: http://www.phoodista.com/2011/07/pan...loin-with.html

Note: I've never used this one, but it's very similar to one I really like, but don't have with me. You should be able to sub frozen blueberries without any problem.

Fire Me Boy! 11-24-2011 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Round 1 on the carbon steel pans.

Fire Me Boy! 11-24-2011 04:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Round 2. Round 3 is in the oven.

Fire Me Boy! 12-13-2011 04:54 PM

I've got pics, but no one seems to care anymore. Five rounds, and these pans are awesome!

For Christmas, my SIL is getting into cooking a lot and does a little with cast iron. I'm going to buy her a couple of carbon steel pans and pre-season them for her using this method. I think she'll love it.

Fritz88 12-13-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8200762)
I've got pics, but no one seems to care anymore. Five rounds, and these pans are awesome!

For Christmas, my SIL is getting into cooking a lot and does a little with cast iron. I'm going to buy her a couple of carbon steel pans and pre-season them for her using this method. I think she'll love it.

What are you talking about?

I do care. Mine will probably undergo the same treatment.

Pics or it never happened :p

DJ's left nut 12-13-2011 04:59 PM

So I did the ol' Cast iron steak....HOLY SHIT that's a lot of smoke.

I used olive oil and that may have made a difference due to the smoke point (I'll have to experiment), but 4 minutes of total cooking time was enough to absolutely fill the house with smoke.

Fortunately it was a tasty steakhouse smoke, so I didn't mind. Still, it was an amazing amount of smoke pouring off that steak. As soon as the steak hit the pan I thought "oh shit...I'm going to be in soooooo much trouble when the wife gets home..."

Fritz88 12-13-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8200773)

I used olive oil and that may have made a difference due to the smoke point (I'll have to experiment), but 4 minutes of total cooking time was enough to absolutely fill the house with smoke.

Fortunately it was a tasty steakhouse smoke, so I didn't mind. Still, it was an amazing amount of smoke pouring off that steak. As soon as the steak hit the pan I thought "oh shit...I'm going to be in soooooo much trouble when the wife gets home..."

I do it and you are right, lots of smoke.

It tasted great, so I'm fine with it.

Fish 12-13-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

It's probably not a good idea to use olive oil in that scenario. Olive oil has a really low boiling point, and therefore it burns off faster than it takes for the meat to cook. And that's bad. I've heard that you shouldn't use olive oil at any temp over 250... That olive oil smoke is full of toxins....

DJ's left nut 12-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8200783)
It's probably not a good idea to use olive oil in that scenario. Olive oil has a really low boiling point, and therefore it burns off faster than it takes for the meat to cook. And that's bad. I've heard that you shouldn't use olive oil at any temp over 250... That olive oil smoke is full of toxins....

I wondered why the recipe called for canola when it's...well it's a shitty oil.

I'm pretty sure I learned a valuable lesson there.

Fire Me Boy! 12-13-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Peanut or canola. And if it ain't smokin' up the house, you're not doing it right. In order to get that great sear, you have to have a high temp. And if you've got the high temp, you're going to get a lot of smoke.

:thumb:

DJ's left nut 12-13-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8200793)
Peanut or canola. And if it ain't smokin' up the house, you're not doing it right. In order to get that great sear, you have to have a high temp. And if you've got the high temp, you're going to get a lot of smoke.

:thumb:

I could have put the leftover steak juice in a cup and poured it over my cereal.

It was spectacular.

Stewie 12-13-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8200787)
I wondered why the recipe called for canola when it's...well it's a shitty oil.

I'm pretty sure I learned a valuable lesson there.

Cast iron cooks much hotter. It's not that it IS hotter, but it doesn't lose heat due to its mass. Don't use olive oil and if you normally cook on medium-high, turn it down to medium. It definitely depends on your cooktop.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "shitty" oil. Canola is a better option than olive oil, but for high temperature cooking I use soybean oil. When cooking with cast iron you're not looking for flavor from the oil, you're looking for performance.