ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs sign Kendrell Bell (ESPN Insider) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111799)

the Talking Can 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M

Acutally, I was more of a Hartwell kinda guy (fewer injury concernts), but Bell is young and an immediate upgrade.

Now ... trade for Surtain or sign Law to a performance-laiden contract and I'll be pleased with the FA period.

Then either draft Rolle, James or trade up for Williams and I'll be freaking estatic.

MM
~~:thumb:

my thoughts exactly..it seems clear now the plan is to sign the broken down injured guys, like Law, because they can structure their contracts more favorably...it is a risk, and sign of cheapness, but I'll take it...give me Bell and Law and let's roll the dice and hope they stay helathy

signing young healthy guys like Hartwell and Smoot is too much for this cheapos....

jspchief 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Bell was right around 250 last season before his injury. He's played all over in Pitt's scheme. I just talked to my cousin who lives in Pitt (Big Steelers fan). He said Bell has lined up at all 4 LB positions in their 3-4 scheme, and that he has even played rush end as well.

Bell is known for very good pass coverage skills. There isn't a better athlete in the NFL at 6'1, 250. Maybe as good, but not better.

4-3 being the key element. He may have lined up outside, but I'll bet it was in blitz packages. There's no way he's an every down OLB.

Dave Lane 03-08-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
Not going to complain if that happens, but it would be reeruned to give a double digit SB to Bell when we wouldn't even offer one to Hartwell.

Notice the word "guarantees" not signing bonus.

Dave

matts22 03-08-2005 02:15 PM

We can still get a CB.

I didn't like Rolle that well anyway. He is WAY overvalued. I would gladly give up a second for Surtain and get a much better CB for about the same money.

I'm very excited that we got Bell...he is a great athlete and instantly upgrades what I feel like were the worst LB core in the NFL. At least Carl didn't settle for Rob Morris or someone like that.

I'm still holding on to a small hope that we can still get Hartwell. He's supposed to announce his decision in the next 3 days, right?

Maybe Gunther talked Carl into switching to a 3-4...now that would be awesome. Fuji, Bell, Hartwell, and Fox/Barber/Draft Pick at LBs. Gives me chills thinking about it.

Logical 03-08-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP
If we can sign Hartwell too I will be stoked. We would have a monster LB-crew with Bell AND Hartwell.

Also, its reported as a 7-year deal. How does this work with the CBA expiring?

What kind of 3 lb defense plays with two Inside Linebackers out of the three?

Glad we got Bell, would have preferred Hartwell, but I am forgetting about him now.

Mr. Laz 03-08-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
if he can stay healthy

that about sums it up.

considering the serious injury to Barber, my starting linebackers would be:

WLB- Mitchell (work hard on his coverage skills this TC ... he has the speed)

MLB- Kendrall bell

SSLB-fujita (not signed, but restricted FA) hopefull will change to Hartwell at this position soon.

backups - beisel,stills,fox,caver (all are also special teamers)

Bwana 03-08-2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOB_DADDY
But he has more interceptions than Bartee...

And I have seen his neck turn! ROFL

HolmeZz 03-08-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

CANNOT cover (not a good fit at OLB)

Ehh. From all the reviews I've heard about Bell, the general consensus was that he was pretty good in coverage.

htismaqe 03-08-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
I bet rufusmaqe is thrilled right now!

Why would that be?

Bell was my 3rd choice. I'm happy we finally signed somebody, but call me "less than thrilled".

mlyonsd 03-08-2005 02:46 PM

Ughh, the guy only played in 8 games last year? I hope CP and Gun know what they're doing.

ceebz 03-08-2005 02:46 PM

Yay. I'm sure he's gonna look great on the weekly injury report.

ceebz 03-08-2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd
Ughh, the guy only played in 8 games last year? I hope CP and Gun know what they're doing.

The guy's almost missed half of the games in his entire career, because of injuries.

Delano 03-08-2005 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If Bell can break through the KC O-line, I'm sure he can penetrate many a backfield this season.

Brock 03-08-2005 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell
Methinks he don't suck that bad, and he's young. I'm happy, for now. Next bring on Hartwell and Law...

Probably not. I think the Bell/Hartwell equation was an either/or. Pretty disappointing, given Bell's recent history.

keg in kc 03-08-2005 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
Ehh. From all the reviews I've heard about Bell, the general consensus was that he was pretty good in coverage.

:shrug:

I'm just passing on what Ed Bouchette from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said.

Mark M 03-08-2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
and for people like you, nothing they ever do wrong will register in your brain pan.

ROFL

Actually, unlike Fox News, I actually try to be fair and balanced. I'll rip Carl for guys like Carlton Grey, Bam Morris, and Johnnie Morton, but will also give him credit for Will Shields, Tony G., and DT.

Just because I don't bash the organization with every other post doesn't mean I'm not critical ...

besides, every other post of mine is dedicated to making fun of raiderhader's mother.

MM
~~:D

DaWolf 03-08-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringbackmarty
seven years, waht are the terms?

$10 mil guarunteed, $5 mil a year.

I guess Lamar didn't want to open the pocketbook. :rolleyes: Now everyone can whine about how they didn't want Bell and how now the front office won't make any more moves... :rolleyes:

Iowanian 03-08-2005 02:52 PM

So....

Is he playing in the middle or SOLB?

Demonpenz 03-08-2005 02:52 PM

i hope they have a clause that voids the contract if he gets shot in the ass

Demonpenz 03-08-2005 02:54 PM

this is why the chiefs suck

Wallcrawler 03-08-2005 02:54 PM

If I knew for sure that Bell would be able to play the entire season without getting hurt and missing several games, Id be happy with this.

His injury problems concern me.

But when he is healthy, the guy is a good linebacker. Worlds better than Kawika Mitchell. Our middle linebacker position just got upgraded, there is no question.

I saw that Hartwell was asking for a 10m signing bonus, after Morlon Greenwood received a 7m bonus.

I think that with the Chiefs wanting to fill 3 spots on the D, we wont be landing the top tier guys that we all wanted.

Bell is damn sure better than nothing though, because when he is healthy, he's shown he can be a playmaker.

Im glad that we at least have him. Now the Cornerback position should be the next issue that we address.

Rolle is signed with the Ravens, Dwight Smith with the Saints. So that leaves Andre Dyson, and Fred Smoot, which the team has shown no interest in thusfar, and Ty Law.

Theres still the possibility of them removing their head from their ass and pulling the trigger on the trade with Miami for Surtain.

Right now, we need a SOLID playmaker on defense. Bell can do it if he is healthy, but we need someone of top caliber in the secondary.

Id forego the third added player, to get a top flight player. 1 outstanding player, 1 good player beats 3 average players.

Besides, I think that Willie Pile could come in and play some safety for us. He did all right last year in Jerome Woods' absence. If we had a guy like Surtain back there, it would take even more pressure off of him.

I guess we will see what happens.

Im eating my words now though, I honestly didnt expect any of these guys on the list to be signed.

htismaqe 03-08-2005 03:08 PM

I've seen Bell a dozen times or so.

He's not an OLB, he struggles in coverage.

htismaqe 03-08-2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stinger
If I knew for sure that Bell would be able to play the entire season without getting hurt and missing several games, Id be happy with this.

His injury problems concern me.

But when he is healthy, the guy is a good linebacker. Worlds better than Kawika Mitchell. Our middle linebacker position just got upgraded, there is no question.

I saw that Hartwell was asking for a 10m signing bonus, after Morlon Greenwood received a 7m bonus.

I think that with the Chiefs wanting to fill 3 spots on the D, we wont be landing the top tier guys that we all wanted.

Bell is damn sure better than nothing though, because when he is healthy, he's shown he can be a playmaker.

Im glad that we at least have him. Now the Cornerback position should be the next issue that we address.

Rolle is signed with the Ravens, Dwight Smith with the Saints. So that leaves Andre Dyson, and Fred Smoot, which the team has shown no interest in thusfar, and Ty Law.

Theres still the possibility of them removing their head from their ass and pulling the trigger on the trade with Miami for Surtain.

Right now, we need a SOLID playmaker on defense. Bell can do it if he is healthy, but we need someone of top caliber in the secondary.

Id forego the third added player, to get a top flight player. 1 outstanding player, 1 good player beats 3 average players.

Besides, I think that Willie Pile could come in and play some safety for us. He did all right last year in Jerome Woods' absence. If we had a guy like Surtain back there, it would take even more pressure off of him.

I guess we will see what happens.

Im eating my words now though, I honestly didnt expect any of these guys on the list to be signed.

I agree. It's time to get Surtain or Smoot and THEN go bargain shopping...

the Talking Can 03-08-2005 04:21 PM

Sign a CB then move on a 2nd tier LB like, say, Simmons....

dirk digler 03-08-2005 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufusmaqe
Why would that be?

Bell was my 3rd choice. I'm happy we finally signed somebody, but call me "less than thrilled".

Yep kinda how I feel. I am not overly excited especially since the way we treated Rolle now we go and sign an injury prone LB.

HolmeZz 03-08-2005 04:35 PM

It was Porter. But for argument's sake, let's pretend it was Bell.

Hoover 03-08-2005 04:35 PM

Ahhhhhhh a playmaker on Defense Wow what a concept. I'm very pleased.

I think Bell at MLB behind our two lard ass DTs (Sims, Jr. and Dalton) will be really nice. I think our next move is to focus on CB, my bet is we end up with Law, which is fine. Other than that we need to sign a OLB. Doing so not only gets us better LB, but builds depth for this team, I like the idea of having Fox and Mitchell as backups just not starters.

ct 03-08-2005 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceebz
The guy's almost missed half of the games in his entire career, because of injuries.

Missed 4 games his 1st 3 years, battled sports hernia/groin problem all season last year.

How does missing 17 games of 64 equal almost half to you? Is this some special ChiefsPlanet math thing, like the special spellchecker program?

booger 03-08-2005 04:45 PM

Have they had the press conference yet?

keg in kc 03-08-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booger
Have they had the press conference yet?

I haven't heard one.

610 said an hour ago they had audio of Bell and Peterson both to play after the top of the hour, but I'll be damned if I heard it.

Abba-Dabba 03-08-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceebz

If you are going to make a stupid ass statement, atleast make it a correct stupid ass statement. Bell has missed 17 games out of a possible 64. Yeah, you're right about missing half his games for his entire career. You are a modern day Einstein, I tell ya.

Do us a favor and quit talking out your poop chute.

booger 03-08-2005 04:49 PM

Quote:

I haven't heard one.

610 said an hour ago they had audio of Bell and Peterson both to play after the top of the hour, but I'll be damned if I heard it.

If they do, they will probably have a real audio of it on KCchiefs.com.

810's web feed isn't working so i'll have to keep up on the net.

keg in kc 03-08-2005 04:51 PM

610 is playing it right now. He's not in KC, it was a conference call.

Says he's healthy and could play right now.

keg in kc 03-08-2005 04:54 PM

He says they haven't determined yet which of the 3 linebacker positions he's going to play, but that he thinks he can play wherever they need him.

His godfather played for the Chiefs, but I didn't recognize the name. Sounded something like "Jim Marcellus".

Abba-Dabba 03-08-2005 04:57 PM

Quote:

610 is playing it right now. He's not in KC, it was a conference call.

Says he's healthy and could play right now.

He also said he could have played in the AFC championship game, the Steelers elected to not have him play.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-08-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

He says they haven't determined yet which of the 3 linebacker positions he's going to play, but that he thinks he can play wherever they need him.

His godfather played for the Chiefs, but I didn't recognize the name. Sounded something like "Jim Marcellus".

This means they are probably still after Hartwell.

keg in kc 03-08-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Ed

It could, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Brock 03-08-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

I'd say not.

Rausch 03-08-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufusmaqe
Why would that be?

The one thing I really like about Bell is that it's a long term deal and he's young. Unless Peterson put a Girlbac-type poison pill in his contract he should be here for years.

And he's a helluva' pass rusher... :)

matts22 03-08-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

PLEASE!!!! Hartwell and Bell would be an amazing combo. And they both want to be here!

Chiefs Pantalones 03-08-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Landers
I'd say not.

You're right, this is the Chiefs we're talking about.

ct 03-08-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts22
PLEASE!!!! Hartwell and Bell would be an amazing combo. And they both want to be here!

They both want to get PAID, and logically our needy defensive roster would be just the place to get it.

Still would have loved to see it too, but we gotta let it go.