ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Benson to KC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130667)

ChiTown 12-07-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker
I like this move. Redman is a good pitcher and it still gives Baird the option to use Affeldt and MacDougal as trade bait for an OF, 2B, or another starter.

If I'm Baird, I continue to go after starting pitching. We need another righty, IMO, and we'll be looking much better as a staff. Next on that wish list is a good defensive 2b, preferrably someone who might be able to leadoff. Last is another defensive minded OF. Pitching and Defense will go a long way in this Division.

shakesthecat 12-07-2005 01:36 PM

I don't know much about Howard, but it appears he'd have a lot better chance of hitting his weight than Blanco ever would.

Reaper16 12-07-2005 01:38 PM

If Allard gets a good Sweeney deal done, and continues to pursue starting pitching and someone to shore up the middle infield, then we will have a foundation for a good looking team when our heavy hitters, Gordon and Butler, are ready for prime time in 07.

siberian khatru 12-07-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Better him than Aaron Miles.

This Denver Post item is encouraging:

The Rockies would like to trade Aaron Miles for a minor-league prospect, but the Kansas City Royals are no longer interested in the second baseman. ...

ChiTown 12-07-2005 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
If Allard gets a good Sweeney deal done,....

If the Angels do that deal, then they need to have their fuggin heads examined. Personally, I'll be ecstatic if we get a Reggie Bar and a Bar of LifeBuoy for the oft-injured, heavily salaried, aged one.

Reaper16 12-07-2005 01:45 PM

Baseball America on Howard:
Quote:

Kevin Howard, 2b/3b, Reds

Howard has the biggest buzz coming into this year's draft after having a brilliant season in the Arizona Fall League. A fifth-round pick in 2002 out of Miami, Howard won the AFL batting title, hitting .409-3-16 in 88 at-bats. But perhaps his strongest asset was proving himself to be an adequate defender at third base. Howard played third in college, but played primarily second base since turning pro. He's a patient lefthanded hitter with a line-drive stroke, and has shown improved power. Some scouts in the AFL liked him better at third, and Howard could be solid at either spot making him the best overall position player available in the draft. Dan Uggla (Diamondbacks) is another utility player who dramatically upped his stock in the AFL, but Howard's lefthanded bat, which could be valuable off a big league bench, gives him the edge.

Reaper16 12-07-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
If the Angels do that deal, then they need to have their fuggin heads examined. Personally, I'll be ecstatic if we get a Reggie Bar and a Bar of LifeBuoy for the oft-injured, heavily salaried, aged one.

I think we'll have to eat some of Sweeney's salary, which is fine. We won't be spending $50 million this year anyway. You can't blame them; Sweeney's one of the AL's bets hitters when healthy, and Vlad just didn't get it done by himself last year.

ChiTown 12-07-2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Baseball America on Howard:

Howard would be a great get.

Then, use Sweeney to get another righty starter. That would be sweet!

Infidel Goat 12-07-2005 02:17 PM

Benson would help us land other free agents.

His wife was once asked what she'd do if she ever caught him cheating on her. Her reply: I would sleep with every one of his teammates.

It's rumored that some of his teammates encourage local hotties to try to tempt him to go astray from time to time . . .

--Infidel Goat

Reaper16 12-07-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Benson would help us land other free agents.

His wife was once asked what she'd do if she ever caught him cheating on her. Her reply: I would sleep with every one of his teammates.

It's rumored that some of his teammates encourage local hotties to try to tempt him to go astray from time to time . . .

--Infidel Goat

"Grimace like that!"
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/ima.../ph_407396.jpg

Sure-Oz 12-07-2005 02:51 PM

Glad we got Redman, wont' be bad, excited to see what else goes on and a big no to aaron miles please!

cadmonkey 12-07-2005 03:02 PM

For those of you who don't know Mrs. Benson......

http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/benson/1big.jpg
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/benson/2big.jpg
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/benson/3big.jpg
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/benson/4big.jpg

ChiTown 12-07-2005 03:08 PM

Damn.

She's so hot, she's invisible...........

tk13 12-07-2005 03:09 PM

Redman was actually pretty good the first half of last year. He lost a lot of games despite a really low ERA, I think it wore him down. He was also a starter on the Marlins championship team a couple years ago, and before that was with the A's. Really, that's a starter that might be a little worse than Benson at a much lower price.

VonneMarie 12-07-2005 06:48 PM

I'm hearing this deal is dead. The Royals only want to get rid of Affeldt and not Mac Dougal.

Which I don't blame them.

beavis 12-07-2005 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
He lost a lot of games despite a really low ERA, I think it wore him down.

He's going to love it here.

Sure-Oz 12-07-2005 07:26 PM

Anything from gammons that he says will happen expect the opposite.

Valiant 12-07-2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
I like this deal.

Affedlt particularly hasn't really been able to define a role for himself on a bad pitching staff even when used in a lot of different spots. I don't think Macdougal is ever going to be a guy that a contending team can rely on as a closer. And we need starting pitching help in the worst way.

I think Sisco and Burgos could turn into a decent punch from the bullpen, and both guys have several years less on the odometer than the ones leaving.

Getting younger while not giving up much in the way of potential, and adding a guy who should help in the rotation. What's not to like?

I think Mac will come into his own there...

Sure-Oz 12-07-2005 08:21 PM

got this off royalboard.com

Reggie Sanders to Royals?
Per KTRS, The Redbirds Station in St. Louis.

They'll offer him arbitration so they can get a draft pick but he'll end up signing in KC, they say.

I don't know about that one, RS is like 80.

Valiant 12-07-2005 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerdooz
I'm just not in favor of spending a $#!+ pot full of money on mediocre players that in the long run won't make this team any better. In 2 years Benson's @$$ is out the door. No way his hot little wife wants to be here in KC where there are absolutely no oppurtunities to use that hot little bod of hers to further her career oppurtunities.

The Royals are atleast 2 years away from having a chance to make some noise in this division and that is only if guys like Butler, Gordon, and Huber (as well as some others) develop into Major League hitters. That and the continued development of Teahan, Buck, and DeJesus as well as the young arms is the only chance we've got. We're never gonna get where we want to get by throwing millions after average major league talent.

You take those 2 years and let Jeremy develop in the rotation, and I mean give him a chance to really develop by sticking him in there and leaving him there. If that was allowed to happen I'd be willing to bet that you'd end up with a much better SP then Kris Benson.

Thats the problem, blister boy cannot handle the rotation...

More then likely she is going to divorce his ass anyway if he gets traded here or just stay in NY...

Archie Bunker 12-07-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz

They'll offer him arbitration so they can get a draft pick but he'll end up signing in KC, they say.

If nothing else he will be good trade bait to contender near the deadline.

nychief 12-07-2005 10:00 PM

I saw that also, but I have not seen anything else around saying that - not even Cards fan boards are mentioning it... I assume they would.

I call BS.

VonneMarie 12-07-2005 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz

That's complete BS. He's even said he wanted to stay with STL.

Why would KC want him anyway? :banghead:

nychief 12-07-2005 10:32 PM

Soriano was just traded to Washington for three playersm, wilkerson being one of them.

cmh6476 12-07-2005 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief
Soriano was just traded to Washington for three playersm, wilkerson being one of them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251887

Skip Towne 12-07-2005 10:49 PM

Damn, 7 pages on a farging baseball thread in December. Maybe the Royals will survive in KC.

ChiTown 12-07-2005 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Damn, 7 pages on a farging baseball thread in December. Maybe the Royals will survive in KC.

STFU, Hater. :)

tk13 12-07-2005 10:54 PM

Quote:

Let the Kevin Mench sweepstakes begin.

Reaper16 12-07-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

You just gave Allard a hard on.

siberian khatru 12-07-2005 10:56 PM

Quote:

To Toronto for Hudson?

cmh6476 12-07-2005 10:56 PM

anyone see this?:

Quote:

Updated: Dec. 7, 2005, 1:09 PM ET
Royals' Carrasco released to pursue play in JapanAssociated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Pitcher D.J. Carrasco was released by the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday so he can pursue a chance to play in Japan.

Carrasco became a starter for Kansas City last season and was 6-8 with a 4.79 earned run average in 20 starts and one relief appearance. The 28-year-old right-hander spent parts of three seasons with Kansas City, which drafted him from the Pittsburgh Pirates organization in 2002.

He appeared in 101 games for the Royals, starting in 22 of them, and had a 14-15 career record with a 4.81 ERA.

The Fukuoka Softbank Hawks of the Pacific League in Japan had been negotiating with the Royals for rights to Carrasco, who expects to get a guaranteed two-year deal.

Reaper16 12-07-2005 11:01 PM

Quote:

To Toronto for Hudson?

I expect to see this deal done in a matter of minutes.

Saulbadguy 12-07-2005 11:01 PM

wtf

Reaper16 12-07-2005 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmh6476
anyone see this?:

No real big loss. Plus, DJ gets a $2 million contract, I think. More than he was making here.

nychief 12-07-2005 11:04 PM

See Allard might learn that you have to give up talent to get talent.

Reaper16 12-07-2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

See Allard might learn that you have to give up talent to get talent.

Allard's been pretty good about getting talent for nothing at all. (See Jose Bautista for Justin Huber, injured Benito Santiago for Leo Nunez, etc.) He's pretty much missed, however, on the big trades.

tk13 12-07-2005 11:08 PM

Quote:

To Toronto for Hudson?

Eh, it's possible, but you'd think for pitching too. They need pitching, bad.

tk13 12-07-2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

No real big loss. Plus, DJ gets a $2 million contract, I think. More than he was making here.

The Royals supposedly got a large sum of money to sell him to Japan. How much I don't know but Allard made it sound like quite a bit...

ChiTown 12-07-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

The Royals supposedly got a large sum of money to sell him to Japan. How much I don't know but Allard made it sound like quite a bit...

Gallon of 2% Milk and a Carton of Eggs. Good deal...

siberian khatru 12-07-2005 11:16 PM

Quote:

Eh, it's possible, but you'd think for pitching too. They need pitching, bad.

Eh, just sign Roger Clemens for $20M.

Valiant 12-07-2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne

Mines just two pages... You must have that ****er on 20 replies per page...

beavis 12-08-2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

Eh, just sign Roger Clemens for $20M.

I got a feeling the Rocket is going to retire. I just read that story on espn.com about how the Astros didn't offer him arbitration. I guess he couldn't even play for them until May now. I kinda hope he doesn't though. As effective as he still is, I'd be real interested to see how long he could keep doing it.

huskerdooz 12-08-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant
Thats the problem, blister boy cannot handle the rotation...

More then likely she is going to divorce his ass anyway if he gets traded here or just stay in NY...

"Blister Boy" hasn't had a blister since they removed 1/2 of his nail.

Miles 12-08-2005 01:15 AM

Miles ended up being sent to the Cards along with Bigbie for Ray King. Guess Colorado isn't a bad place to send a player that bitched about wanting to be traded.

tk13 12-08-2005 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles
Miles ended up being sent to the Cards along with Bigbie for Ray King. Guess Colorado isn't a bad place to send a player that bitched about wanting to be traded.

There's one I didn't see coming. The Cardinals are going to look quite a bit different next year.

Miles 12-08-2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

There's one I didn't see coming. The Cardinals are going to look quite a bit different next year.

I'm really hoping they have something else planned for at least one of the corner outfield positions. Can't say I'm very enthusiastic about their offseason so far.

Unloading King and his salary was fine but I wish they would have gotten something useful in return. I may be wrong about Miles but he seems to be a total scrub.

tk13 12-08-2005 01:59 AM

I don't know, Miles isn't horrible I guess. I'm not sure he's as good as Grudzielwhatever. Maybe hitting in that lineup will help him out. I saw the guy play once in person and he whipped the ball around and had a 4 hit game, so I probably have a higher opinion of him than I should. It is really rough going out in this FA market... even for a team like the Cards.

tk13 12-08-2005 02:21 AM

Today's notes from the winter meetings... we're apparently getting a second baseman.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/13354119.htm

Quote:

We feel good about what we’ve accomplished,” Royals general manager Allard Baird said Wednesday, when they traded for left-hander Mark Redman, signed free-agent right-hander Elmer Dessens and finalized a trade for a second baseman Baird would not disclose.

At the same time, the Royals’ effort to land a second starting pitcher slowed down on Wednesday, with trade discussions for Mets right-hander Kris Benson stalling. Also, Baird said free-agent catcher Todd Pratt decided against signing with the Royals, who hoped he would back up John Buck. The Royals did sign Joe McEwing to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.

Baird compared Redman to former Royals starter Jeff Suppan, a big man who relies on finesse. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Redman throws a change-up as his strikeout pitch and tries to jam right-handed hitters with a cut fastball.

In his first 14 starts last season, Redman went 4-4 with a 2.80 ERA. In his last 16, he went 1-11.

“The numbers in the first 40 percent of the season were great,” Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield said. “Unfortunately, we didn’t score runs. The rest of the season wasn’t quite as good.”

Obtaining another starter remains one of their top priorities. The Royals did not trade relievers Mike MacDougal or Jeremy Affeldt on Wednesday, keeping a number of deals alive. That included the one for Benson, which, contrary to a report on ESPN, “was never almost done,” Baird said.

On the other hand, Baird was confident the Royals would make a trade for a second baseman who he said could be in the lineup on opening day. Baird said he also could fill a utility role, leaving open plenty of possibilities.

Would it be the White Sox’s Willie Harris, the Cubs’ Jerry Hairston, the A’s Marco Scutaro or the Nationals’ Jamey Carroll? No to all four, sources said. And while Mark Grudzielanek will not re-sign with the Cardinals, the fact that Baird said the second baseman will come via a trade rules him out, too.

There were plenty of other “no’s” tossed around Wednesday. Baird said he had not spoken with the Angels about a trade for Mike Sweeney, refuting a report that said Los Angeles had turned down a deal for the first baseman. Baird did not talk with the agents for outfielders Jacque Jones or Reggie Sanders, leaving the Royals likely without a corner outfielder as the meetings end.

tk13 12-08-2005 02:43 AM

News on the Rule V draft today...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/13354124.htm

Quote:

DALLAS — There won’t be another Andrew Sisco this season.

After striking gold a year ago in the Rule 5 Draft with Sisco, the Royals this season will likely trade or sell the top pick as the draft concludes the winter meetings this morning.

“I think there’s a deal in place,” Royals general manager Allard Baird said, “but you never know. ... Things can happen.”

With the impending signings of reliever Elmer Dessens and a second baseman, the Royals’ roster will be full at 40. While there are candidates to drop off the roster in case the team decides to select a player in the draft of unprotected minor-league players, the Royals haven’t been blown away by any of the candidates.

Among the top available players are utility infielder Kevin Howard, who hit .409 in the Arizona Fall League, left-handed pitchers Josh Muecke and Ricky Barrett, and right-handers Rafael Rodriguez and Billy Sadler, according to Baseball America.

“We’ll see where it takes us,” Baird said.

■ Royals starter Runelvys Hernandez, who is eligible for salary arbitration, has new representation: super-agent Scott Boras.

Mecca 12-08-2005 02:57 AM

I guess we'll be trading Hernandez before long then......

cadmonkey 12-08-2005 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
Damn.

She's so hot, she's invisible...........

Holy sh*t I suck!!!!!!!!!!

siberian khatru 12-08-2005 08:52 AM

minorleaguebaseball.com says the Royals could lose Mitch Maier in the Rule 5 draft today. That would suck.

Chief Chief 12-08-2005 08:54 AM

Wow!

That Kendall Gammons is quite a sports guru!!

BigChiefFan 12-08-2005 08:56 AM

So far Baird has made some decent moves. I hope he keeps up the momentum. Too bad we couldn't get Soriano.

Archie Bunker 12-08-2005 09:50 AM

Looks like the Royals traded their rule 5 pick for 2B Esteban German

:shrug:

shakesthecat 12-08-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

minorleaguebaseball.com says the Royals could lose Mitch Maier in the Rule 5 draft today. That would suck.

Maier wasn't selected.

bkkcoh 12-08-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

If he can't make it to the bigs with the Royals in that amount of time, how good can he be?

:hmmm: :banghead: :cuss: :p

siberian khatru 12-08-2005 10:02 AM

I vaguely remember German when he was prospect with Oakland. Great speed, draws walks, IIRC.

shakesthecat 12-08-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

IMO, German is better than any of the Rule V IF's they could have selected. He's not very big, but is a good contact hitter and a very good base stealer.

He'll get a chance to win the 2nd base job, and considering who his competition is, he shouldn't have much trouble.

KevB 12-08-2005 10:06 AM

Quote:

I vaguely remember German when he was prospect with Oakland. Great speed, draws walks, IIRC.

Me too. He was the heir apparent at 2B for the A's, but then everyone remembered that Beane doesn't value the stolen base. Doubt he's the defender that Blanco is, but brings more to the table offensively with OBP and SB.

ChiTown 12-08-2005 10:08 AM

Quote:

I'm ok with this, but I don't think he's the answer at 2b. If this WAS Allard's answer as to how we address the 2b issue, then I'm sorely disappointed.

siberian khatru 12-08-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakesthecat
IMO, German is better than any of the Rule V IF's they could have selected. He's not very big, but is a good contact hitter and a very good base stealer.

He'll get a chance to win the 2nd base job, and considering who his competition is, he shouldn't have much trouble.

I honestly don't know anything about German's defense. But the Rule 5 guy that had been mentioned, Howard, I gather is more of a 3B who can play 2B (a utility guy). Good stick, but my guess is the Royals may have decided Howard couldn't cut it defensively at 2B, and went after German because he's got a better glove. And maybe better leadoff skills, too.

beavis 12-08-2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Royals starter Runelvys Hernandez, who is eligible for salary arbitration, has new representation: super-agent Scott Boras.
fuck. I hate that prick.

Reaper16 12-08-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't know anything about German's defense. But the Rule 5 guy that had been mentioned, Howard, I gather is more of a 3B who can play 2B (a utility guy). Good stick, but my guess is the Royals may have decided Howard couldn't cut it defensively at 2B, and went after German because he's got a better glove. And maybe better leadoff skills, too.

We desperately need a speed guy, hopefully German can fit the bill. I like him over any the Rule 5 guys also. He'll be given the shot to stat at 2B on opening day.

The news that Runelvys has hires Boras as his new agent makes baby Jesus cry bitter tears.

Archie Bunker 12-08-2005 07:11 PM

Few more tidbits from rotoworld.com

Paul Bako - C - Dodgers

Paul Bako has reportedly agreed to a deal with the Royals to back up John Buck.
This comes after Bako and the Dodgers couldn't overcome a $50,000 difference to keep the catcher in Los Angeles. It's thought that the Dodgers will bring in SanDy Alomar Jr. to play behind Dioner Navarro.

Brandon Weeden - S - Royals

Royals selected RHP Brandon Weeden from the Dodgers with the first pick in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft.
Weeden was a Yankees' second-round pick in 2002. The Dodgers acquired him in the Kevin Brown-Jeff Weaver three, and he was scheduled to go back to the Bombers in the aborted three-team Randy Johnson deal a year ago. He went 2-9 with a 5.70 ERA, 101 H and 96/69 K/BB in 94 2/3 IP for low Single-A Columbus last season, but he does have a live arm. The Royals risked nothing here by taking a chance on him.

petegz28 12-08-2005 07:21 PM

We are stupid if we get rid of Mac. He was really coming on last year and was his most consistant if you ask me.

beavis 12-08-2005 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28
We are stupid if we get rid of Mac. He was really coming on last year and was his most consistant if you ask me.

He would have been better if Glass had paid him more.

petegz28 12-08-2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
He would have been better if Glass had paid him more.

I heard you would be better if you used less teeth. ROFL

Mecca 12-08-2005 07:29 PM

Quote:

Depends what they're getting for him.

petegz28 12-08-2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Depends what they're getting for him.

I think Mac can be one of the toughest closers in the game as long as he stays consistant.

His slider this year was a monster. And he quit being Mac the Wildthing and was hitting the zone with his fastball.

nychief 12-08-2005 07:37 PM

www.axallard.com

beavis 12-08-2005 10:53 PM

Quote:

I heard you would be better if you used less teeth. ROFL

Your mom!!!!!!!!!111111111111ELEVENELEVEN!!!1

:rolleyes:

tk13 12-08-2005 11:00 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of crap.

Valiant 12-08-2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerdooz
"Blister Boy" hasn't had a blister since they removed 1/2 of his nail.

Blisterboy had the problem last season...

beavis 12-08-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of crap.

Retahded.

tk13 12-08-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
Retahded.

Yeah! Allard should be more active in the trade market! Yeah!!!... he only had the freaking no-name Royals on Sportscenter almost every night this week during the winter meetings because he was throwing feelers out everywhere with the Mets, Jays, Braves, Marlins, Rangers, etc, etc, etc. And we have been in contact with the Marlins constantly it seems like, and every time we want one of their guys they want Burgos and Sisco. Of course, if we actually did give those guys away they'd be first to jump on it and call Allard an idiot.

siberian khatru 12-08-2005 11:45 PM

Miguel Tejada wants out of Baltimore. There's Allard's blue-chip trade.

cmh6476 12-09-2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

What a bunch of crap.

i tagged that shit ROFL

huskerdooz 12-09-2005 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant
Blisterboy had the problem last season...

No he didn't have any blister issues last season, infact he hasn't had any issues with the blister since 2003.

IIRCC he spent stints on the DL with a groin injury in 2005 and oblique injury in 2004.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NAS...=346793&y=2005
2005 Career Highlights:
After beginning the season as the closer, he went on the disabled list for almost two months with a groin injury. Meanwhile, Mike MacDougal took over. Affeldt had problems in a set-up role but finished with nine straight scoreless outings.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NAS...=346793&y=2004
2004 Career Highlights:
Made the Opening Day roster for the 3rd straight season...opened the season as KC's No. 3 starter, making his season debut vs. Cleveland on April 8 (5.2 IP, 9 H, 6 ER)...Finished the season with a 3-4 mark, 13 saves in 17 chances and a 4.95 ERA in 38 appearances (8 starts)...Went 0-3 with a 5.24 ERA in 8 starts before being moved to the bullpen on May 21...Suffered a blown save in his 1st relief appearance of the season on May 22 at Oakland...allowed a 2-run home run to Eric Chavez with 2 outs in the 9th to tie the score at 4-4...Converted 8 straight save opportunities from May 25-June 11 before picking up his 2nd win after blowing a save on June 12 vs. the Mets...Was placed on the 15-Day D.L. with a strained right oblique on June 27.... activated on Aug. 21 after missing 48 games...Had his best stretch of the season from May 22 to Sept. 22, posting a 3-0 record and 13 saves in 16 opportunities for a 2.67 ERA (27.0 IP, 26 H, 10 R, 8 ER)...Notched 5 of his saves vs. Detroit, going 1-0 and 5-for-5 in save opportunities with a 3.38 ERA in 8 games against the Tigers...Stranded all 9 inherited runners for the season.

tk13 12-09-2005 02:34 AM

Great column by JoePo...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/13363836.htm

On the SPOT

Baird needs Royals to win, but he’s sticking to his plan

JOE POSNANSKI

DALLAS — The mystery second baseman seemed a good way to peer into the mind of Royals general manager Allard Baird. Early in the week at baseball’s winter meetings, Baird announced he was close to trading for a second baseman.

He was quick to say that this guy would not be the second baseman, not some savior, but, in Allard-speak, a “piece of the puzzle guy.” The Royals have lost a lot of games in Allard Baird’s 5 1/2 years as general manager. If an election was held in Kansas City, he would surely be voted out of office. Everybody understands that.

But give him this: He has found treasures among those “piece of the puzzle guys.” Other general managers admire this about him. Paul Byrd pitched well enough to get big-money deals. Raul Ibañez turned into a pro’s pro. Even outfielder Emil Brown, while he often struggled with concepts like fly balls, hit with authority much of last season.

Now, Baird hinted that he found a second baseman who might follow in that path, a guy who, given the chance, might just surprise a lot of people.

“Who is it?” we ask.

“I’m not going to tell you,” Baird says.

Allard Baird is under no illusions about the upcoming season. “If we don’t win games, I’m fired,” he says. “You don’t have to be a genius to figure that one out.”

This “I’m fired” concept doesn’t throw him. Baird has always been pretty philosophical about individual goals like job security. He’s a team guy. A Royals guy. He is, again using Allard-speak, an “organization above one’s-self” guy. Last season, when the Royals lost 19 games in a row and inspired jokes on the late-night talk shows, there was tremendous pressure to make changes. According to three sources, Baird went to Royals owner David Glass and team president Dan Glass and offered his own head.

“If you need a scapegoat, please fire me,” he reportedly told the Glass menagerie. “If that will help us stick with the plan, then that’s the right thing to do. Obviously I don’t want to get fired, but the most important thing is that we stick with the plan.”

The Glasses, obviously, did not fire him. They gave him one more year to see if the plan will work. Yeah, that’s more Allard-speak: The Plan (sometimes called “The Direction). The Plan builds around young players. While the Royals have lost 100 games three of the last four years, Baird has done his level best to stockpile young talent. How successful has he been? Well, you know the players: Mark Teahen, David DeJesus, John Buck, Zack Greinke, Denny Bautista, Ambiorix Burgos, Andrew Sisco, and so on.

“It’s been hard, but I feel like we’ve made it through the hardest times,” Baird says. “We didn’t give up on the plan to a win a few games. We took our lumps, but now we think those younger players are ready to help us win games.”

“But you have to be right,” I say. “I mean, those young guys haven’t proven anything yet. You have to be right about them.”

“Absolutely,” he says. “We have to be right. We think we are right.”

“What if you’re wrong?”

“You already know the answer to that,” he says.

“He’s got a good on-base percentage,” Allard Baird says. He’s talking about the mystery second baseman. He has gotten so tired of my nagging, he’s giving out hints.

“He’s a good on-base percentage guy, and he’s versatile,” Baird says.

I go back to the computer, the statistics, and try to figure it out. Who has a good on-base percentage? Baird has said for a while that he treasures OBP. But, paradoxically, the Royals have not reached base much in Baird’s time. In his five full years as GM, the Royals OBP is a miserable .322, seven points below even the league average.

Still, Baird talks about getting on base, so I look at some of the candidates who are versatile and get on base some. I hit on the name. It’s Jamey Carroll. He’s 31, playing with Washington. The Senators are overloaded with middle infielders. Carroll plays a lot of positions. He has a decent on-base percentage. He’s never gotten a real chance to play everyday. Everything fits. It’s him. I call Baird.

“It’s Jamey Carroll,” I say.

“Is Jamey Carroll fast?” he asks.

“No.”

“I told you this guy is fast,” Baird says.

He hangs up. Fast? Wait. He never said anything about this guy being fast.

People like to come up to Allard Baird during the meetings and say, “Hey Al, how much sleep did you get last night?” In the manic world of baseball, where people measure each other by the rings under the eyes, Baird is unique. He does not stop. He sees games, scouts prospects, helps run minicamps, travels to Latin America and Japan, and always has the cell phone to his ear.

He thinks Royals non-stop, every minute, all year long. At night, he will often wake up with a Royals thought, scribble it down on a piece of paper, crumple it up, and throw it into the middle of the room to be read later.

“I can’t imagine that there’s a GM in the game that works harder than Allard,” one baseball executive says.

Of course, as Baird will tell you, a general manager is not judged by his work ethic or his dedication or even his integrity — all undeniable strengths of Allard Baird. He is a good person, one of the best I’ve ever been around.

But a general manager is judged by the team he puts on the field. That’s it. His report card is in the newspaper, every day, all summer long.

And the Baird report card is not good. The Royals lost 106 games last year, 104 the year before. Baird signed and traded for Juan Gonzalez, Brian Anderson, Jose Lima, Benito Santiago and Eli Marrero. For one reason or another they all flamed out.

The Royals top prospects — Ken Harvey, Chris George, Jimmy Gobble, Dee Brown, Dan Reichert, Colt Griffin, Kyle Snyder and now even Zack Greinke — have not emerged.

Baird knows that he has made mistakes. Chief among them, he says, was not going into a sweeping rebuilding mode sooner. But he does believe deeply in his own baseball instincts and the baseball sense of the people who work with him. He believes they have collected a core of young players who can make this team a contender.

“There is no question about it, we’ve got to start winning games,” Baird says. “And it’s not just for the standings. We have to prove to everybody — the fans, the media, ownership and even ourselves — that we can play.

“It’s one thing for me to say, ‘I think Mark Teahen’s going to be a real good player.’ That doesn’t mean anything. It’s another thing for him to go out there like he did at the end of last year and give us good at-bats, play with more confidence. That’s what we need now. I think we’ve got good players. But we need guys to prove it.”

Willie Harris. That’s the second baseman. I’m sure of it. I’ve lined up all the second basemen available in trades, and looked to see which one is fast, has a good on-base percentage and can be called versatile. Chicago’s Willie Harris fits. He has speed. His on-base percentage isn’t great, but it’s not terrible. And he can play second and the outfield. Also, the White Sox have made no secret that he’s a backup and available in a trade.

I’m a little bit bothered because the White Sox and Royals are in the same division and might not trade with each other. But in the end, this one makes too much sense. I go to see Allard in his suite. Royals’ manager Buddy Bell is there, along with several Royals executives, including assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson.

“Well?” Baird asks.

“Willie Harris,” I say.

Laughter breaks out everywhere in the room. I sense I may be wrong.

“This guy has better plate discipline,” Baird says after the laughter fades out.

I slowly slink out of the room. “Craig Counsell?” I ask as the door closes behind me.

There is one simple, unquestionable truth about being the general manager of the Royals: You have to be smarter than other GMs. It’s not good enough to be as smart as Brian Cashman or Kenny Williams or Walt Jocketty. Those guys have more money. They have more scouts. They can afford to pay draft picks more. They can make big-money mistakes, and it won’t knock them backward five steps.

And, let’s not forget, big-money teams can afford to pay more for general managers.

People tire of hearing it, but money is still the overwhelming reality in baseball. And sure, every so often Oakland’s Billy Beane or Minnesota’s Terry Ryan can beat the house, at least for a while. But people do forget the subtitle of the book “Moneyball.” It is “The Art of Winning An Unfair Game.” That’s the point.

“I think most people have at one time or another thought, ‘Poor Allard,’ ” says one assistant general manager. “It’s hard to win when you have no money to spend. That might be a whole different team if they could have kept Carlos Beltran and Johnny Damon. … I think people around the game think a lot of Allard. It’s just rough there.”

Baird hates when people talk this way. “I should be judged by our record, plain and simple,” he says. “I don’t want to hear the money talk. That’s an excuse. We lost 106 games last year. That’s me. I didn’t do my job well enough. That’s the bottom line.

“The one thing I’m proud of, though, is we stuck together through it. It was hard. But we didn’t panic. We didn’t trade away our core players. We stayed with the direction. I’m not dumb. I know there are challenges in Kansas City. But we held together through some hard times. And now it’s time to start winning games.”

A Royals source comes to the rescue. He will not tell me the name of the second baseman — it’s like talking to Deep Throat in a parking garage — but he gives me a crucial hint. “He’s hitting well in the Dominican winter league,” my Hal Holbrook says.

Back to the stats. There are two second basemen hitting well there. One is Washington’s Bernie Castro, who leads the league in hits. The other is Texas’ Esteban German, who leads in stolen bases. They are about the same age (German is 27, Castro 26), neither one has been given much of a chance. Both have some speed and versatility.

So, much of the night, I study the numbers of the two players closely. This has become something of an obsession. WWAD? What Would Allard Do? I finally choose German, figuring that he seems to have more speed and a better on-base percentage. I corner Allard before the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday. We’re both bleary eyed.

“It’s Esteban German, isn’t it?” I say.

“Good work,” Baird says. He then talks about how he likes German’s speed and plate discipline, thinks he could be a good utility infielder and, perhaps, the everyday starting second baseman next year.

“You know,” I tell him, “I spent an awful lot of time trying to figure out your mystery second baseman. I didn’t think I would end up with some guy I never heard of, Esteban German, who had four at-bats in the majors last year. I’m not sure that was worth it.”

Baird smiles an odd little smile, one that seems to say, “Now you might have a little taste of what it’s like to be general manager of the Royals. Other guys are signing big money free agents, and I’m sweating it out for Esteban German.”

But that’s not what he says at all.

“Come on, you know it was fun,” he says. “This guy’s got a chance to be pretty good. I’m excited. He’s a ‘piece-of-the-puzzle’ guy.”

And with that, he heads off to another meeting to find more puzzle pieces. One the way he talks to another agent. He shakes hands with a dozen people. A few minutes later, the Royals announce that they traded their pick in the Rule 5 Draft for Esteban German, a versatile little second baseman who is tearing up the Dominican Republic.

“I think he wants to prove himself,” Baird tells reporters. He is talking about Esteban German. But Baird means himself, too.